Author Topic: Presenting Obfuscation's Most Awesome or Most Disappointing Song Roulette Ever  (Read 22855 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Sent.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
OK, that's everyone. Where are the results man!!! :p

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
OK, that's everyone. Where are the results man!!! :p

I posted them 2 weeks ago man. Keep up with us. We're already on round 34.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Fucking work man, has me all screwed up. So how'd I do?

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Not good. It would be better if I don't tell you.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
round 35 sent

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Good shit man. You're always on top of these things. Unlike lonestar.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Jesus Lonestar, come on man.

:P  :heart

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
How about I just send Aryeon-Theory of Everything, that should cover the next 42 rounds. :p

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
How about I just send Aryeon-Theory of Everything, that should cover the next 42 rounds. :p

Too late. Already got that one in round 15 and put the score for it the same day.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
I should have results up tomorrow and then we'll move on to the last round. Looking to be done with this by the end of the week.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
I will say that easily this was and will be one of my favorite rounds in this roulette and that you guys surely did not disappoint. But anyway, one to my bad write-ups as usual.

Shadow Ninja 2.0 - Sigur Rós: Varúð

Wow, what can I say since I don't know what to say for this song besides it most definitely being beautiful and an amazing song. Everything in the song is just done right, the piano playing, the melody, the guitars, the choir, and especially Jónsi's voice. His voice is what hits you the most and just has a wonderful feeling to it. I get the feeling of him more like howling like a wolf towards the sky(if that makes any sense to anybody else) in some parts and it just gives this very emotional feeling to the song. I'ma just go ahead and give the score to this song instead of blabbing about it and not doing a good job. Score: 10/10

Ben_Jamin - Pain of Salvation: Vocari Dei

So I was a bit weary at the beginning of this song thinking it would just be all these messages of people sending to God with the music just being more like background music. As the song progresses on, the music starts to come a bit more forward and more instruments playing. The melody the instruments are playing is a nice one and very enjoyable even without the voices. It never overtakes the messages though which would cause me to start thinking lots of thoughts regarding the subject it was about which I kinda wished it didn't happen at the moment so I wouldn't be distracted by my thoughts instead of listening. But the mix of the people's messages to God really get carried with the music to add more emotional depth to them. Overall very enjoyable but wish the messages ended when the music did. Maybe it leads to the next track of the album which I haven't heard. Score: 8.5/10

senecadawg2 - Ulver: EOS

One of the bands I discovered about in these forums and one of the longest that I've been meaning to check out but haven't yet. Thanks to senecadwag2 again, I will finally delve into their discography with the motivation I received from this amazing piece of music. I certantly considered this to be a beautiful song just about the lines of Varúð but with a more eerie and dark atmosphere. Which is great and I like(considering one of my favorite bands is Godspeed You! Black Emperor and their music is full of that), and is taken to great use in this song. The singer's voice is just great in this with it being all smooth and deep with a warm feeling to it while singing those lyrics giving off a sad image. Score: 10/10

Lucien - Maurice Ravel: Daybreak

I was expecting a song like this from you and gladly I was correct. First off I won't consider it to be as beautiful as other types of works with orchestra I've heard before but this is one is good too. This piece I feel like I might have to give more listens to as well though and would like to see it in a ballet since that's what it was written for even though I've only seen like one ballet before(The Nutcracker)and that was many years ago. I got more of a love feeling from this work than from any of the other songs but one that goes through many stages of love. The last half has moments that feel much darker than the first half and I feel like the section that has the more beautiful sounding moments added to the this piece is the wind section. The core is probably brought down because I just didn't get those moments or feelings of it being beautiful as some of the other songs in this round. Score: 8/10

adace - Katatonia: The Racing Heart

A band with a similar experience I've had with Ulver besides the fact I have at least listened to a song from them before and liked it. Enough of talking what I've heard and not heard from them. It does have that feeling of being a song of being beutiful and depressing at the same time. I think the strongest part of the song is its chorus which picks up from the mood set by the verses before it especially thanks to Jonas' voice and singing. I just don't find this chorus to be as strong as other songs along the same vein or style of this type of music. Score: 8.5/10

lonestar - Yes: Turn of the Century

Yes, heard of many times, have only listened to Machine Messiah, which I liked. Any way, you said in your message, "it's pretty far out of what's been sent in the roulette", which I want my roulette to be about and it has in almost every round, especially from Lucien, and that's what I like and hope helps me expand my music listening even more. This song will help with that since it does fit in the beautiful music category. The story of the lyrics for this song which you graciously explained to me is a very touching one and is put with the correct music for it. I really liked the moments in which Jon's vocals and the guitars played the vocal melodies together and enjoyed the vocals overall even if I don't don't think they reached the level of hitting me as the Sigur Rós or Ulver ones did. Also I feel like instrumentally they might have refrained too much for my own tastes and wanted some drums to keep in that middle musical section. But hey, you can'y have everything how you want if you didn't write the song which is great anyway. Score: 8/10

Dark Castle - Grimes: Visions

I cut you some slack with this song since I recently listened to this album for the first time like a week ago but mostly only have paid attention to "Oblivion" so far. Damn is this song beautiful and gives you a happy and warm feeling inside. That almost hypnotizing synth melody played with extra instruments added in the background until the drum beat kicks in is awesome way to begin this song. Add the vocals which sound great singing, "My heart will never be, will never see, will never know...." is add like adding the cherry on top. I don't know man, I just find it hard to explain more of why I like this song and think its beautiful but I do and that's all that needs to be said most of the time. Which it was longer though but thankfully we can use repeat. Score: 9/10

Dr. DTVT - Epica: Solitary Ground

So easily the best thing from this song are the vocals. I don't think anybody can deny that she has a good voice and it works for songs like these. Considering that and how obvious for me it is in songs in this category for the vocals to be beautiful sounding, somehow this song falls short of the other ones. I would say some of it has to do with the music which is good but feels like something I have heard many times before so isn't something that will wow me. What carries this song is what she does with her vocal melodies and good range to portray different feelings throughout the song. Score: 7/10

Scores
lonestar - 42 + 8 = 50
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 43 + 10 = 53
Ben_Jamin -  40.5 + 8.5 = 49
Dark Castle -  44.5 + 9 = 53.5
senecadawg2 -  40.5 + 10 = 50.5
Dr. DTVT -  43.5 + 7 = 50.5
adace -  41.5 + 8.5 = 50
Lucien - 43.5 + 8 = 51.5

Okay so we've gotten this far and now we move on to the last round of this roulette. It will be an open one again to close things off and to see if the way you decide what to send me has changed from the first open round to this round. Thanks in advance for sticking and dealing with my bad write-ups, usual high score(that's your fault guys anyway for sending good songs), lengthy times between rounds, and shortcoming. But anyway, lets move forward shall we.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
I think this roulette has gone pretty smoothly, overall. I should have something sent in a few hours.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, my only complaint is that I'm not winning.

Offline senecadawg2

Amen.

Also, do I get extra points for having an incredibly hard time deciding between EOS and Varúð?

Last submission coming up!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Sent yo....

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
I think this roulette has gone pretty smoothly, overall. I should have something sent in a few hours.

Thank you. Makes me feel better that I'm doing at least a decent job at this.

That's your fault.

Amen.

Also, do I get extra points for having an incredibly hard time deciding between EOS and Varúð?

Last submission coming up!

Thinking about it, you should but look at the bright side. you would've gotten 10 points either way. So I still need a submission from Doc, Ben_Jamin, Lucien, and adace. Thank you.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Still waiting Doc, Ben_Jamin, Lucien, and adace.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Sent
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline adace

Sorry for the delay. Sent.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
sent

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Alrighty then.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
I'm hoping to have results up by tomorrow since I'm taking longer since I got some songs later than others and have been busying with school since I have a couple of midterms for this week. Sorry for the wait.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Not to be imposing or anything, but :bump:

This has been a fun roulette, and my most successful so far.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Not to be imposing or anything, but :bump:

This has been a fun roulette, and my most successful so far.

Yeah sorry, I should not of had mentioned a day because I got caught up studying for my midterms and all but I will get this done with in about a hour.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
 :millahhhh :'( Today is a sad day because we have come to the end of this roulette in which you guys had to deal with weeks of using up your time to send me songs and me telling you what I thought about them. But man am I glad that you guys did and that we all went through this. My music listening has grown and I've discovered so many new talented music makes out there which for me is one of the best things I like to do and will always want to do.

Regarding this round, as usual, another solid round from you guys just like they all have been and will be obvious from all the usual high scores as well. So lets move on to the scores instead writing all this unnecessary crap.

Dark Castle - Enslaved: Roots of the Mountain

Another song from this band and album in this roulette and thank goodness I've been pushed to listening to this band and this song of course. Man that in your face black metal style opening is great which leads to I guess I will use progressive type section with the clean vocals is just one the best changes in a song I've heard in a while and I don't get tired of it. And that's just the beginning of the song. The rest of the song goes on with some nice guitar playing and riffs with the chorus popping in occasionally that just sounds nice mostly thanks again to those clean vocals. Not only is nice guitar(good solos as well) and vocal work, but some nice layers in the background with the keyboards or synths whatever you want to call it. The song with its 9 minutes length just moves and changes in  great ways with a just drum and bass section and later on to more full on black metal sections. I mean this song is just the bee's knees man. I dig the lyrics too. Score: 10/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0 - Diablo Swing Orchestra: Voodoo Mon Amour

So this was a band I was introduced to in my last roulette and liked what they were doing but I guess I forgot about them afterwards and never listened to them again. I now know that I should since I really enjoy what they are doing especially in songs like this one. I like the swing groove to the song and great horn section playing and sound mixed with the strong female vocals. I mean this song is just groovy, enjoyable, happy(besides the lyrics), and just catchy as well. Oh yeah and a cello break, now that's badass man. Score: 9/10

lonestar - Absolute Priority: Fear of the Night

I first when I read your message I read the title track as Fear of the Dark and started playing Iron Maiden in my head but that's besides the point of this write-up. Good intro that leads to a piano section and I kinda like the guy's vocals but aren't as strong or powerful I would say as others I heard in this genre of music but it works and it fits the song. I really focused on the vocals in this song cause there's a lot going on with them with all the layering and melodies and great chorus singing and I mean I really enjoy that chorus and his singing in it. All the instruments are solid, drums, good and discernible bass lines, nice guitar playing and solos, and keyboard work with some good solos as well. In a nutshell this song has everything that bands like these offer and make them enjoyable. And finally the ending of the song which I really like and feel like it has almost an epic feeling to it although the story behind the song lyrics I guess we can agree isn't epic. Score: 9/10

senecadawg2 - Gallowbraid: Stone of Remembrance

Another song with black metal elements in this round which is great when it works and is good of course. Now this is black metal mixed with folk which gives this song the feeling of going on a journey(Imagine Bilbo Baggins listening to this as he's traveling through Middle Earth)and gives off vibes from bands like Agalloch which is good and I like. I also liked the variety of the vocals and the production with the full bass sound which makes it sound much bigger in my opinion. I might've not described this song as much as the other ones but that's because its just a solid enjoyable song for me and it would make all these write-ups start sound repetitive. As long as you get the gist is what's important. Score: 9/10

Ben_Jamin - Foxy Shazam: Oh Lord

Man oh man or should I say Oh Lord. After hearing this song for the first time, I just kept repeating it cause I was just having fun and enjoying my time listening to it. The main reason why easily was cause of the singer. Man what a voice this guy has and the great melodies sung in parts with the piano I just smiled at the first time I heard them. Then there's the chorus which is just amazing and fun as hell to sing along with. The instruments in the song are good of course and help back up the great singing in this song with the added help of the choir too especially to make that chorus just full of great moments. I mean I could keep talking about this song but you should just listen to it and check out those vocals and I'ma give it a really high rating cause that's how much I liked listening to it. Score: 10/10

adace - Thrice: Digital Sea

Familiar with the band as in have heard mention of them many times but never listened to. I have to say that this was the song I had to listen to the most quite a bit since it turns out this was a grower for me. The first couple of listens I was pretty underwhelmed by it and wanted to give it more chances. I like the simple beat it has and somewhat what they tried to do with the vocals. The atmosphere of the song is also pretty interesting and good but as grabbing as it could be. Overall for hard to explain reasons, I just didn't enjoy this song as much as the others. Score: 7/10

Lucien - Mad King Corduroy: Rain at Night

So this was one of the more interesting submissions in this round and a good at one at that because I usually dig music like this when it works. "A very cyberpunk feeling bit of synth music. This would feel right at home in a cheesy but well done sci-fi from the late seventies." is how its described on YouTube which makes lots of sense because also works as a stand alone song without having to make any connections to anything else. I like the synth rhythm it has and the synth soloing I think is okay but not great but does fit the tone and feel of the song I would say. Not much to say since that's pretty much all that happens in the song but I liked and thought it was good. Score: 8/10

Dr. DTVT - Silent Memorial: Fear

Lets gets right to it. This song has some solid riffs and guitar solos. With the drums and bass doing a good rhythm section. The singer I almost feel like is the weakest link in the song but not that he's not good. He is but not great and the chorus I just didn't feel it to be strong as others in this round but does have a catchy vibe to it which ya'll already know I like. One big disappointment in the song is the orchestral break with all those midi strings going on which sounds cool but the sounds just don't do it justice and kinda let you down but its not really the band's fault that that is the approach they had to take. Overall a solid song at most. Score: 8/10

Scores
lonestar - 50 + 9 = 59
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 53 + 9 = 62
Ben_Jamin - 49 + 10 = 59
Dark Castle - 53.5 + 10 = 63.5
senecadawg2 - 50.5 + 9 = 59.5
Dr. DTVT - 50.5 + 8 = 58.5
adace - 50 + 7 = 57
Lucien - 51.5 + 8 = 59.5

Congratulations to Dark Castle for winning this roulette by 1.5 points more than Shadow Ninja. By all of you should high five yourselves for great job you guys did and great song that you sent me. Just cause this is over and we have a winner doesn't mean you can't keep sending me music you want to share with somebody else or if you think I'll like it. If not, then its all good too anyway.

Here's a song for you guys whether or not you have heard it because its what I listened to after finishing this to celebrate this roulette. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_spVxhWEQWc

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX

It was fun guys!  :metal

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Congrats Dark Castle, and thanks Obfuscation for running a class roulette.

And if it makes you feel better about the lyrical content of that song, in the last track of the album they fry him in the electric chair. I highly reccomend Hunter, one of the best concept albums I've come across in a long time.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Congrats DC!

Glad you liked DSO, Obfuscation, and thanks for having me in the roulette.

Offline adace

Nice job, Dark Castle :tup You picked a killer song for the final round so no surprise you won.

@Obfuscation: Thanks for running a great roulette. Hope I can do better on your next one (if you decide to have it).

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Congrats Dark Castle, and thanks Obfuscation for running a class roulette.

And if it makes you feel better about the lyrical content of that song, in the last track of the album they fry him in the electric chair. I highly reccomend Hunter, one of the best concept albums I've come across in a long time.

I'll say that it's Top 5 material for sure (of recent concept albums).  Was just listening to it earlier this week - along with many of the other concepts you've introduced me to over the years.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

it was fun! Thanks to everyone, and especially you Obfuscation.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Damnit I usually send Enslaved, but you weren't hot on my harsh vocal song so I backed off of them.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It

Yeah I will check it out since I checked the the next track since the one you send me lead right to it and talk about a concept album with a grim ending.
Damnit I usually send Enslaved, but you weren't hot on my harsh vocal song so I backed off of them.

Well with the Enslaved song you sent me should have giving you confidence to send it. Also which harsh vocal song was that? From what I remember, the ones I wasn't as hot for were ones with clean vocals.

Also nice to see that everybody enjoyed the roulette and adace, I already signed up for another one so keep your eyes open for whenever its my turn again.