Author Topic: Presenting Obfuscation's Most Awesome or Most Disappointing Song Roulette Ever  (Read 22865 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Sent catchy song  :blush
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
Hey girls! I'll have this post updates in say about 15-20 minutes with the results for the Catchy song round so hold on to your panties.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Just in time, right before class starts :zydar:

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
 :hat Maybe it was done on purpose that way.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Hear, hear! Here are the results for this last round and let me state a few disclaimers first. Even though all of the rounds have awesome so far thanks to you guys and I've enjoyed most of the songs and all, but this round I just had more fun listening to the songs. DAT CATCHINESS!  ;D Another point is that there were a couple of songs that were sent that were just  :metal but not as catchy as the rest and as I would've liked. That's why they got lower scores than they probably would've had the theme been different. Also maybe because I have a hard time rating things, that's why usually all the ratings have been very high in every round cause it also bothers me to give low ratings but I really haven't needed to with all the songs I've gotten and have enjoyed. Anyway, enough blabbering on to the really important stuff.

Shadow Ninja 2.0 - Keldian: The Last Frontier

Right off the bat we have a great and catchy song indeed. Songs of this genre can sometimes be a hit or miss for me, but thankfully this one was a hit. I mean just everything about this song would get stuck in my head after listening to it. Of course the most catchy part was the chorus, "The storm is here, we will show no fear, we will lead the way, across the last frontier". I would sing it everything time it came up and would randomly sing it when not even listening to the song or any music. I think the vocals really helped in how they perfectly fit the song both male and female ones. Score: 10/10

senecadawg2 - Coheed and Cambria: Mother Superior

So the only experience I have had before with this band is the song everybody else has heard before which is Welcome Home. So I was looking forward to hearing how a catchy song from them would sound. The verdict is that it sounds good. I've seen people say they usually have an issue with Claudio's vocals, lucky for me that I don't and I actually really like them, especially in this song. It does have a good chorus but I wouldn't consider it to be as catchy as I would like or compared to some of the other songs I got this round. I also think it would've been somewhat more catchy if it was a tad bit shorter but that's just for the sake of being catchy, not cause of how good of a song it is. Score: 8/10

adace - Amaranthe: 1,000,000 Lightyears

Hey that guy turned into a girl in the beginning. Jokes aside I felt like this song was a good song and all but not something I would probably listen to regularly but that's not what we're judging right now. I like the sound of song and singers in it though felt the harsh ones were a bit eh(actually listening to the song while writing this I think they are better than what I make it sound like) but they fit with the song. Chorus I thought was okay and can hear and feel it being catchy but it doesn't really grab me or stick with me and just felt like it was short to help it be more catchy than it could have been.  Score: 7/10

lonestar - Destrage: Destroy Create Transform Subliminate

Hmmmmm so one of those songs I really had a hard time giving a score because of how much I liked it and thought it was good but didn't feel like it lived up to my I guess I'll call it for right now, standards of it being a catchy song. So I really like this song like I previously mentioned because of awesome musicianship and great vocals in it. Really like the guitars throughout the whole song, the playing of it and sound of them. Problem I have is how it has what I consider to be quite a number of changes in it and thinking the chorus was okay. If this was in any other round, the score would probably be higher than it is by far. Also that unexpected ending yo! Badass. Score: 8/10

Dr. DTVT - Seventh Wonder: Alley Cat

You sent one of those songs too that were really good and all but hard to give a justifiable score under the theme of this round. Seventh Wonder is a band I have heard mentioned a number of times in this forum but never checked them out. Now I know I should and will after listening to this song. I liked it and can see why many people here like this band and feel like I will too. Good singer, great musicians, and great results. Sadly though I can't score it as high as I would like because you sent it cause you found "the chorus catchy as fuck". Bad luck for you that I didn't find it catchy as you do. I thought it was good and all but something that'll stay in my head and I'll find myself singing along to whenever like I would with The Last Frontier. Score: 7.5/10

Dark Castle - Lady Gaga: Summerboy

My Lady Gaga experience so far has only been really the singles that would be heard everywhere I go when they are released. I never really tell anybody that I actually like some of them or find them to be good cause I never thought or had a reason to bring it up. Therefore I didn't know what to expect from this song and good thing you thought of sending this. So focusing on what I thought worked for this song was Lady Gaga herself. The way she sings in the song and especially the chorus just really hit me in that I thought it was great and catchy and something that instantly stuck on me. Yes the music in it is great as well and really helps the catchiness of the song. Score: 10/10

Ben_Jamin - Pendulum: The Island Pt.1(Dawn)

So you had a hard time figuring out what I meant by catchy and what to send. I didn't think anybody would have that problem and is a reason why I picked it as the round theme. Good thing you found a song to send. I have listened to Pendulum songs before and this album but only select songs off of it. You managed to pick a good one from it. I really like the beat it has and the melody played by synths and all. The vocalist is good too and is typical of what you hear from music like this. This had a dose of catchy in many parts of the song and with both the music and the vocals. Not as strong as some of the other scores but good enough. Score: 8.5/10

Lucien - Frost*:Toys

By the goodwill of my heart, you were able to get back in this roulette and send me songs. You've done a pretty good job so far as has everybody else and you did it again with this song. Frost* has been the same with me like it has been with Seventh Wonder in which I've seen them be mentioned but enver checked them out. I most def will now thanks to this song. I just liked everything from it, the sound, the playing, the singing, the chorus, the upbeat feeling to it. It just worked and I really liked it. Only reason why its not getting a 10/10 is because I just felt like it fell short of being as catchy as the other 10/10's from this round but I know its a song I'll keep listening to again and again. Score: 9.5/10

Scores
lonestar - 24.5 + 8 = 32.5
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 24.5 + 10 = 34.5
Ben_Jamin - 24.5 + 8.5 = 32.5
Dark Castle - 25 + 10 = 35
senecadawg2 - 24 + 8 = 32
Dr. DTVT - 27.5 + 7.5 = 35
adace - 25.5 + 7 = 32.5
Lucien - 26.5 + 9.5 = 36

Next round is to send me an instrumental song booyah!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
If you liked that one, I'd recommend you check out the rest of the album, Journey Of Souls. The Last Frontier is probably the catchiest, but the rest of the songs are solid, and one or two I would say are even better than The Last Frontier.

Also sent.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Fair enough, for me catchy refers to one you can't stop listening to, and I literally spun that one for four days straight. :lol

Anyways, glad you liked it, and check out the album, it's equally as solid beginning to end. Brilliant stuff!!!

I gotta give this album a spin or two to figure out what to send, might be a day or two...

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
If you liked that one, I'd recommend you check out the rest of the album, Journey Of Souls. The Last Frontier is probably the catchiest, but the rest of the songs are solid, and one or two I would say are even better than The Last Frontier.

Also sent.

You guys just want me to spend all the money I don't have. Saw they have it for free on bandcamp so I got but will probably buy another album from them if I actually like this one and want to check the other ones out.

Fair enough, for me catchy refers to one you can't stop listening to, and I literally spun that one for four days straight. :lol

Anyways, glad you liked it, and check out the album, it's equally as solid beginning to end. Brilliant stuff!!!

I gotta give this album a spin or two to figure out what to send, might be a day or two...

You know what, you have a point there. I can see myself and probably will have times where I'll keep on playing that song a few days in a row but I had my requirements for it a bit differently this time. But thank you for sending it and I'll ch-ch-ch-check it out.

Offline senecadawg2

Really? You didn't find alley cat catchy as fuck? Thats crazy...

I'll send you an instrumental soon
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline adace

Guess I should have thought about my song pick a bit more.

Oh well. What I just send should make up for it. ;)

Offline senecadawg2

Sent

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It

I'll send you an instrumental soon

DON'T JUDGE ME!!! I blame it on being distracted by the instruments and all badass wizardry they do with them. Just my 2 cents.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Really glad you enjoyed Lady Gaga C:

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Really glad you enjoyed Lady Gaga C:

I had a good feeling going into the song because of her song Paparazzi which would get stuck in my head so I knew there was a chance. There was.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!

Thanks, s-dawg.  At least you get it.

Offline senecadawg2

In a genre that I find often fails to deliver on catchiness, Seventh Wonder is my shining exception.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Cent.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Hoping to have results up on Tuesday. Only missing Ben_Jamin's submission. Also sorry for lack of response this weekend. Was really busy.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Okay so I know I said I would post results today and there is still a chance I will, but I have an essay I'm currently trying to finish that is due tomorrow. If I run out of time, they will be up for sure tomorrow.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
I don't even remember what I sent in this one.

Though that's normal for me...

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Okay so I'm liar for not posting the results up when I said I would. Please forgive me but look on the bright side, we only got 2 rounds left so this will be over soon and you won't have to be waiting on me anymore. Anyway results time.

Shadow Ninja 2.0 - Jon Gomm: Topeka

I swear I have heard and watched a video of this guy playing before because he seemed very similar but can't remember if I really did or not. Anyway, this song was really nice and all the things that he does with the guitar with the playing and beating on it and all. Also the sound of his guitar is just awesome and especially how the bass lines he plays on it sound. I think the length of the song is perfect because it doesn't overstay its welcome and it just makes me feel happy. Score: 8.5/10

adace - Scale the Summit: Odyssey

A band I've heard a couple of songs from but hadn't taken the time to delve in deeper. I really liked this song. The melodies and riffs the guitars play are nice and wonderful with the bass really helping those riffs have a much fuller and thicker feel. The title of the song is perfect for it because it is one of those that have that feel of thinking you on a adventure/journey/odyssey. The ending with the guitar at first I felt that it was kinda out of place but grew to get used to it because I felt that it could have been its separate track instead. Score: 9/10

senecadawg2 - Gordian Knot: Muttersprache

This was a song that took quite a couple of listens to grow on me with the first couple of listens now really doing much for me. At moments I just wouldn't pay much attention to it I felt like and felt like it was longer than it actually is. Now that I listen to it again and again, I like it and start appreciating each section of the song more. It starts out pretty groovy with some nice riffs spread out through the song. I also felt like it would get better the more the song went on and was working its way towards the ending. Score: 8.5/10

Dark Castle - Baroness: Cockroach En Fleur

Another song pretty much just dealing with an acoustic guitar. It starts off with the guitar playing what I find to be a haunting, finger picked melody and it leads to a bluesy riff that sounds like a natural progression for the song. Which then leads to another melody being played which ups the tempo more and more to start making the song start to sound like its going into a frenzy leading to that soft and mellow ending. All that in less than 2 minutes on 1 instrument. Consider me impressed. Score: 9.5/10

lonestar - Exivious: Deeply Woven

So there was lots of pressure riding on this song with the way you were excited to share with somebody and being all giddy about. Right away from the intro of the song I can see why. This song just starts off in a badass way with all the instruments doing each their own part to contribute to the awesome riff they're playing. And the guitar playing reminded me as well of Cynic which ended up making sense since one of the guitarists and founders of this band was in Cynic for the Traced in Air LP(which I love). Then we got to the guitar solo section which I thought was the weakest part of the song but still good. Add in the saxophone for this song and it gives it more of a dynamic feeling and works for this song. Score: 9.5/10

Lucien - The Enid: Tripping the Light Fantastic

This one I had the hardest time figuring how much I liked it. The production I like in the song because you can hear every detail of every instrument playing and gives it that live feel. The orchestral section are interesting and I really enjoy them. So the problem rest in the moments where its just the other instruments and mostly the guitar being the main focus. I find those parts to be good but a bit dull sometimes and a bit long to get anywhere compared to how the song moves like it does in the orchestral sections. Also felt it was a tad bit long thanks to those sections which just didn't excite as much as the others. Score: 7.5/10

Dr. DTVT - Scale the Summit: The Great Plains

Another Scale the Summit song and another decent one as well. I liked Odyssey more than this one but that's not to say I didn't like this one either. Partly due to the progression the band has taken, I didn't feel this one take me on a grand adventure like Odyssey but it sure has lots of other things going for it. There many great guitar moments in this and I feel like I like the solos in this one a tad bit better. This song jumps more from place to place as well but it fits together nicely. Score: 8.5/10

Ben_Jamin - Travis Larson Band: Fuzzy

I usually prefer to listen or see bands that play music like this live cause it just makes the listening experience so much better. This song is strong and works like this anyway. The main riff played is really groovy and which helps keep the song moving during the solo sections. The guitar solos I found to be okay but that each one that came after the other one was better. Also that melody the guitar would play between solos was nice. Gotta point out the fretless bass solo which was good as well. Bottom line is the song was good but nothing that really grabbed at me or that I found to be outstanding. Score: 8/10

Scores
lonestar - 32.5 + 9.5 = 42
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 34.5 + 8.5 = 43
Ben_Jamin - 32.5 + 8 = 40.5
Dark Castle - 35 + 9.5 = 44.5
senecadawg2 - 32 + 8.5 = 40.5
Dr. DTVT - 35 + 8.5 = 43.5
adace - 32.5 + 9 = 41.5
Lucien - 36 + 7.5 = 43.5

For round 6, send me a song that you find to have anything that sounds beautiful to you like a chorus or melody or singing. If you guys have trouble understanding what I mean. Let me know so I can change the theme of the round. Gracias.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Me either, I got confused in Luciens roulette. I thought I posted in this one.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
I may be liar but I still get my shit done. You guys didn't even notice me sneak the results in.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Sent.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I was just messing with you.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
I'm just messing around too but I did come up short on what I said.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought about sending Odyssey as well.

Offline adace

And sent.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Still waiting on Doc, lonestar,and Dark Castle.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Sent yo....

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
I'll get something in today. Had my final exam today  :biggrin:

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member