Author Topic: Presenting Obfuscation's Most Awesome or Most Disappointing Song Roulette Ever  (Read 22877 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I knew I'd end uo hurting my score a bit due to length. I agree with you about the orchestra as well. I believe that album was made by one guy with guest vocal grunts and solos, his first album attempt, its not bad at all. You'd like the album because the rest of the songs are their own concept.

Saddest song....hmm....I'll have to dig.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
Cool, glad it struck in the right way with you. It's such a grower too, I've heard it a bajillion times, and still have days where I will listen to it multiple times in a row, the last five minutes is musical perfection for me.

Now, an emotional song, huh? Looks like you're gonna get my second favorite here...

Yeah the ending of the song ir really great and makes me want to listen to it again.

Oh well, I guess I can't blame you given that I probably would've rated it similarly with so little time. I think it also hurts that it had to be removed from the context of the whole album. Don't worry, the next one is more simple

Yeah that's an issue with songs like this in which you really need to give them a god number of listens and listen to the album entirely. I will listen to the album though and see how much better it works that way.

I knew I'd end uo hurting my score a bit due to length. I agree with you about the orchestra as well. I believe that album was made by one guy with guest vocal grunts and solos, his first album attempt, its not bad at all. You'd like the album because the rest of the songs are their own concept.

Saddest song....hmm....I'll have to dig.

For his first album attempt and all, its freaking amazing, especially since it was mostly just one guy. I had the hardest time giving your song a score because I knew if I would listen to it more, I would like it more and give it a higher score but at the time I wasn't there yet.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
I guess Lucian and adace don't want to participate anymore.  :sadpanda:

Still waiting for your songs fellas.

Offline Ben_Jamin

I sent.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Yup got yours and 5 others. Only them 2 are the ones left.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Have you PMd them about it?

Offline Ben_Jamin

Lucien did say in his Roulette he was going to be gone this week.

Offline adace

I guess Lucian and adace don't want to participate anymore.  :sadpanda:

Still waiting for your songs fellas.
Oops, totally forgot. Sorry about that. Will send shortly.

And sent!

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Got them all now and will have results up on Tuesday at this rate.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
I don't think I'll post the results today because Lucien never sent me his song and he has gotten on for a couple of days now and want to give him one more day before I decide to move on without him. I hope you guys can agree with that.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent

I don't think I'll post the results today because Lucien never sent me his song and he has gotten on for a couple of days now and want to give him one more day before I decide to move on without him. I hope you guys can agree with that.

???

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It

???

I know. I thought I saw him send me his but turns out I got confused with it being the one he sent me last round. I have sent him a message but no reply of course cause he hasn't been on for like 4 days or so.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Oh, ok. Cool.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Don't worry guys, the show must go on. Never got a response back from Lucien so we will be moving on without him sad to say. I will post the results for the round tomorrow in the morning since I ran out of time today so just bear with me a couple more hours.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline senecadawg2

I'm not entirely sure I remember what I sent, so I'm looking forward to finding out. Hopefully it was received better than Kayo Dot. Kind of funny that I've sent both the best, and worst, thus far.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It

I don't have any cookies sorry. Anyway here are the results. Not that great of write-ups since they were rushed due to lack of time but hopefully it at least shows what I thought of each song and each score they got.

Dark Castle - Nobel: Wild Dream

Well I certaintly didn't except this from AJ of The Human Abstract. Good thing he actually is doing something like this cause it actually is pretty good. Of course the main thing that makes this song enjoyable is that the girl has a good singing voice that matches the sound of the music. I think the real star of this song though are the strings. It just sounds beautiful and makes you feel warm and happy inside. Also talking about lack of sleep and wild dreams, which I think is she is singing about, I experience that just about every week. Score: 8/10

lonestar - Marillion: Sugar Mice

So songs like these are usually a hit or miss and thankfully this was a hit. I didn't get the urge to skip this song which I sometimes do with songs like these and I guess its because it gets right to it with Fish's vocals. Now the lyrics and story behind the song is one that I'm sure many people can relate to and its happening all the time. The vocals make this song sound personal to anybody listening to it and when the section with "'Cause I know what I feel, know what I want I know what I am, Daddy took a raincheck" it just hits you thanks to those great vocals. Score: 8/10

senecadawg2 - David Gray: Falling Free

So this time you decided to play it a bit more safe with a simpler song. I would still that's a risk cause a song has to be really good to keep the interest of somebody, espcially if they are going to listen to quite a bit. Good thing I found the piano playing nice and soothing I guess I'll say. Seeing with those first 2 write-ups, a point of emphasis for me in this round was the vocals more than usual and this guy as well has a good one. Score: 7.5/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0 - John Wesley: Thirteen Days

Another great singer in my opinion for this round and another good song. I liked the guitar playing even though it was just a circle for most of the beginning so I think it was really good the song has other instruments in it and the whole band kicks in for the awesome climax part. The song has in what I think to be some lrics that make up a really sad and dark story but which goes really good with the music. Score: 8.5/10

Ben_Jamin - Immortal Technique: You Never Know

So I know about Immortal Technique but only one of his song which everybody probably already knows which is Dance with the Devil. If you haven't, listen to it cause that song is emotional as fuck as well. Anyway moving on to this song. Thing I like about this guy is that he raps clearly and tells a story. The beat is solid and the right one for this song. Regarding the lyrics, getting to the end I knew how it would before I heard it before the way he describes everything really makes you connect with him and feel all these sad emotions for what happens which is how things should be done to make you care about it and connect with it. Score: 9.5/10

Dr. DTVT - Kevin Gilbert: Song For A Dead Friend

Now this song was really emotional regarding how sad the subject matter is. Right away with the piano playing and just how it sounds gives it that atmosphere of knowing this song really is something and sounds like you are in the room with him. When he starts singing and you listen to the lyrics, man does it touch you. I also like with this song and the Immortal Technique one, how its basically telling a story and you know what they are singing about and not having to figure out what they really mean with the lyrics of the song. Or maybe I'm just lazy tat way but I also suck at finding out song meanings sometimes. With his sincere voice and lyrics, you really feel sorry for the 2 guys involved. The one who died and the one who is dealing with the death of his friend. I just think its a song everybody should listen to, not because of its sad sound and content but because even though that's what it is, music like this is beautiful if you understand what I'm trying to say which you probably do. Score: 10/10

adace - Boards of Canada: Dayvan Cowboy

I'm going to say this was pretty different from all the other songs I got but that in no way is a bad thing. Instead of making me feel sad and all compared to the rest, the feeling for some reason I got from this song was the feeling of nostalgia. I would get the feeling of not thinking about anything else but this song while listening to it which I always like when songs do this. The song is just get throughout though I will say I wish they did a bit less of those drum effects going on but when thinking about it, it just fits. Wish it was longer though because even though its more than 4 minutes long, it feels short to me for some reason. Maybe its because of how I get into it I don't notice the time passing by. Score: 9.5/10

Yes lots of the scores are tied and close to each but all the rounds have been great so its all your fault. But anyway I'm pretty sure there won't be as many tied scores like there is right now as we move one. So for round 4 the theme will be to send me a really catchy song.
Scores
lonestar - 16.5 + 8 = 24.5
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 16 + 8.5 = 24.5
Ben_Jamin - 15 + 9.5 = 24.5
Dark Castle - 17 + 8 = 25
senecadawg2 - 16.5 + 7.5 = 24
Dr. DTVT - 17.5 + 10 = 27.5
adace - 16 + 9.5 = 25.5
Lucien - 9.5 + 9 = 18.5

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Glad you liked it, John Wesley is awesome.

Will send soon.

Offline senecadawg2

damn, I'm falling farther behind…

sent
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 12:34:09 PM by senecadawg2 »
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Glad you liked it, John Wesley is awesome.

Will send soon.

His forthcoming album is pretty good.  I will be giving it a good review.

Offline adace

BoC is one of my favorite electronic bands so I'm really glad you liked it.

Sent.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Cool man, glad you liked it!!!

I'll figure something out catchy in the next few days.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Bump sent spike

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Blocks back in face!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry doc, had to  :p

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Was gone the entirety of that week. Just got home, sorry.

:dunno:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Ben_Jamin

Man, this one's tough.

By "catchy", do you mean makes you want to dance, sing-a-long, and gets stuck in your head?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
By "catchy", do you mean makes you want to dance, sing-a-long, and gets stuck in your head?

I went with options 2 & 3, with a side of "I'm submitting this band before someone else does" and a heaping dose of "I don't want to send him the same song I sent Seneca in consecutive rounds, even though it totally would have worked here".

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Was gone the entirety of that week. Just got home, sorry.

:dunno:
Sorry to hear about that but I couldn't wait that long.

Man, this one's tough.

Whatever you consider catchy. Or just go with what the Doc said.

Offline Lucien

Aww, I was in the lead, too  :\

Whatever, less stuff I have to deal with.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Aww, I was in the lead, too  :\

Whatever, less stuff I have to deal with.

I can make you an offer if everybody else agrees with it and you do too that I can let you back in and catch up with submitting a song for the round you missed and this one. Its up to you.

Offline Lucien

I think I will take that offer.  ;D

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Alrighty then. Go ahead and send me your songs as soon as you can please.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Okay, so a quick update here for the roulette since Lucien rose up from the dead this week and I let him still be part of this roulette and send me his song for the last round and I'll go ahead and post his score for it. Don't worry Lucien, yes you sent me the song some hours ago but I've listened to it at least 5 times already in order to be fair enough with it and get a good feel for it as well.

Lucien - Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep & 358/2 Days OST: Vector to the Heavens

I'm familiar with this video game series but only because I played the first game and none after that. But I'm also a huge Final Fantasy fan which this game is related to in many ways and Square Enix always has good OST for their RPG games. I had never heard this one OST since I never played this game. The song you sent me is just piano and a string section but it sounds great. It has good melody to it and the tome of this is I think a sad one which I can picture it happening in one of the sad scenes of the game. The biggest issue I have with it though is the speed of the song. I just felt that it was too fast or had that sped up feeling to it. I wish it was slower and think it would sound better that way too. Maybe give it more of an epic feeling if you understand what I'm trying to get at. Anyway, still a great song. Score: 8/10

Scores
lonestar - 16.5 + 8 = 24.5
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 16 + 8.5 = 24.5
Ben_Jamin - 15 + 9.5 = 24.5
Dark Castle - 17 + 8 = 25
senecadawg2 - 16.5 + 7.5 = 24
Dr. DTVT - 17.5 + 10 = 27.5
adace - 16 + 9.5 = 25.5
Lucien - 18.5 + 8 = 26.5

So now Lucien, send me your next song soon so I can hopefully have the results for this round up in the next 2 days. And for everybody, so you can start preparing already for the next round and get ideas, thanks to lonestar on the song roulette thread, the next round will be an instrumental one. So send me any instrumental song but don't send it until Thursday please so I won't get distracted by them while I still listen to the songs for this round. Thanks for hanging in all this chaos.  ;D

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Muahahahahahhaahahaha!!!!!!!!

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Muahahahahahhaahahaha!!!!!!!!

Thanks to your evil laugh, I will be scoring your submission harder and more through than everybody else. :P