Author Topic: Presenting Obfuscation's Most Awesome or Most Disappointing Song Roulette Ever  (Read 22861 times)

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
Going to be hard to do since my favorite song is banned  :P

Send it and I'll check it out and let you know if you can still use it or not since it could be a song that I never really listened from the aforementioned bands. If not, we can work something out.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
My favorite song is fifteen minutes long, that cool?

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
My favorite song is fifteen minutes long, that cool?

Length is not a problem.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!

Length is not a problem.

That's what she said.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It

Length is not a problem.

I would love to be banned.

Lucky for you I didn't ban small things.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Well played man.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Turn your filter off Ob.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Sent.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Turn your filter off Ob.

Sorry, I don't seem to have that option.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Okay so this round was great all around and you guys did a great job. I will post the results here in the order I received them instead of highest to lowest or vice versa. If the scores keep on being like this in all the rounds, seems like we will have a tight race until the finish line.  :tup

Sorry for any grammatical mistakes in advance.

lonestar - Intervals: The Self Surrendered

This song started firing off right away and making me headbang to it and I continued for the first 3 minutes or so. The guitars, well pretty much everything instrumental, in this song was really kickass and reminded me a bit of Periphery in their last album. I would say the weak link in this which surprised me after I found out who it was, is the vocalist. He isn't bad but I felt for some reason he brought this song down a notch and I felt like listening to the instrumental version instead at time. Also another con for it was the length because towards the end, it started to feel like it dragged a bit but that's maybe because the 2nd half of the song felt a bit like from other songs I heard and wasn't on par with the 1st half of the song. Score: 8/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0 - Dan Swanö/ Uncreation

I've listened to this guy in other projects before. Mostly Bloodbath and never his solo work. I have to say I really like how he keeps this song heavy with the guitar riff and drum rhythms used and decent vocals while using, in my opinion, a happy keyboard song or something you would hear in an uplifting song. I wouldn't consider this a uplifting song though neither a debbie downer of a song either. Also this song really reminded me of a snog that I've enjoyed lately of a new release because of how similar I thought certain moments sounded like. https://youtu.be/pF_42zfAEOM?t=25s and  https://youtu.be/aZPipw548tU?t=2m8s are what I think sound familiar and I really like those moments. Its the rhythem the drums play and I guess I just like it and like playing it to since I'm a drummer. Maybe its just me that hears that similarity. Song has a great guitar solo as well. Score: 8/10

Ben_Jamin - Armin Van Buuren: Beautiful Life

I wasn't expecting this in a open round and in the first round too but got nothing against it since I like music like this too especially when done right like this was. It has a simple beat to it that is good for making you feel like dancing to it with a just a small amount of effects used to add a bit of variety to the song which is better than want some people do nowadays with a bunch of overkill added to the song. The singer in the song has a really good voice too though not the best I've heard in a song like this but her's works in this song. Only thing is for some reason I don't find myself listening to this song that much later on but I am be wrong and I feel like its because I'll get tired of it quickly since it sorta repeats itself 3 times in one play. But that's just me. Score 7/10

Dark Castle - Allegaeon: Behold(God I Am)

Okay, so this song starts off with some nice soft guitars with a nice melody and I thought ok, this song has a good intro so what's next? Then came the in your face drums blasting away letting you know to prepare yourself for the rest of the song. Then the song starts kicking some serious ass with its cool guitar riff(and great guitar tone as well I must say), good vocalist, and good drumming. It has a number of guitar solos but I wouldn't say that I went crazy for any of them. They were just okay. Also it keeps a good pace throughout its 7 minutes and I liked the ending which I thought was strong and liked it more than the Intervals one(sorry lonestar). Score: 9/10

senecadawg2 - Dir en Grey: Vinushka

Man did you get lucky with this pick. Reason why is because I know of this band but never checked them out enough and this was probably the 1st song I heard from them but that was more than 5 years ago??? and didn't remember it. Why I didn't I have no idea because this song is amazing. Maybe I still had bad taste in music at that time. In 9 minutes, this song manages to explore and play a whole range of atmospheres and ideas and mix them up to create this masterpiece which is a word I rarely use on anything. Like I mentioned before, the atmosphere this song starts off with I really like with the great guitar riffs and nice drum work. The singer has a great vocal range which goes every single change that happens in the 9 minutes. I would to describe it differently, I would say its like a story told in 9 minutes from beginning to end with all the different steps a movie takes like the introduction, the conflict, the climax, the falling action, and then the end with it firing off on all cylinders. Score: 10/10

Dr. DTVT - Spiral Architect: Spinning

I have never really listened to music of this type with clean vocals which is a refreshing take on it especially when the singer is pretty good too. THAT BASS LINE and upfrontness(not even a word) of it is what I like to hear sometimes especially from bands like these. One thing I would like to change of this song is its length since it felt somewhat short(remind you of anything Doc?)and that's probably because of the flying fingers and riffs moments in the song. I know this music is about this and all but there were moments were I felt like it changed time sigs or whatever too often but that's probably just me and weird feelings I get from some songs cause once I found myself rocking out to a part of the song, BOOM it would change besides the ending which doesn't do and like it for that. Score: 8.5/10

adace - Ihsahn: The Paranoid

Only Ihsahn work I have really listened to before is Emperor's last album which I like. I had heard his solo work was quite a bit different from it but maybe this song is one of the few that isn't though it does have a different feeling from his Emperor work. I like how this song pretty much just hits it off right away and everything is just working and fitting together perfectly. The when it changes to the chorus, its still rocking albeit in a different way but it still manages to work with the rest of the song. It gets even more intense as it goes on which is always welcome in my book. The huge sounding ending with the trumpets and all is awesome too. Score: 9/10

Lucien - Dmitri Shostakovich: Symphony 5 Mvt. 4

Along with Ben_Jamin's pick, this was different in a big way from everything else which is cool. Maybe my banned bands list didn't show but I'm a fan of classical music too but not all cause some honestly bore me. This one is not one of those boring ones. Maybe because of its mostly fast pace(also what's up with those youtube comments on the video I saw saying its too slow, goddamn son of a bitch sounds fast to me and would sound too crazy if done faster. Maybe I just need to hear whichever version they're talking about.)that leads to its quieter section which sounds like it could be put into the soundtrack of an epic movie. Preferably a fantasy one. Also would've like to have seen one of those Looney Tunes Merrie Melodies episode, if you guys know what I'm talking about, and seen what they could have created with it since I like those. See I spent more time talking about things this could have been used in instead of the instrumental work because it caused me to come up with ideas and use some imagination which I think music like this should do and like having occur. Nice ballsy pick that paid off. Score: 9.5/10

Scores
lonestar - 8
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 8
Ben_Jamin - 7
Dark Castle - 9
senecadawg2 - 10
Dr. DTVT - 8.5
adace - 9
Lucien - 9.5

Offline senecadawg2

Wow you're right, that is a great batch of songs. Some of which I may have sent later (thinking of Ihsan and Dan Swano)
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Sent the same piece in two roulettes, got opposite results  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline senecadawg2

sent

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Open round?  I don't recall seeing a theme, but I want to make sure.

Offline senecadawg2

I think it's 'send your favorite song round'

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Well, I feel lucky now, since I sent one of my favorite songs  :lol

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Favorite song...  :justjen
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Nice choice, seneca. I had actually considered sending Vinushka myself. :metal

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Sent the same piece in two roulettes, got opposite results  :lol

I think I saw that and goes to show you not everybody likes the same thing but I was a bit skeptic at first too when I first saw what you sent me.

I think it's 'send your favorite song round'

Yes, its send your favorite song.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm going to send you my favorite song that is not on the banned list.

Now only if I can figure out what that is  :justjen

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
This round is going to be hard for me to choose, my favorite song can change drastically depending on my mood.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
I'm going to send you my favorite song that is not on the banned list.

Now only if I can figure out what that is  :justjen

I'm sure you can work it out. Maybe its a song I'm not that familiar with from the banned bands anyway.

This round is going to be hard for me to choose, my favorite song can change drastically depending on my mood.

Pick it while on a good mood.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
Still waiting on Dr. DTVT, adace, and Ben_Jamin for their songs.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Sent...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline adace

Sent.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
So I was planning on posting the results today but since I got some songs a day later and some of them are long. I want to give them a couple more listens and will post them tomorrow instead. I'ma edit this post later today anyway to let you guys know the round 3 theme so you can send me your songs.

Offline senecadawg2

Make sure to listen to mine many more times!  ;)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
So I was planning on posting the results today but since I got some songs a day later and some of them are long. I want to give them a couple more listens and will post them tomorrow instead. I'ma edit this post later today anyway to let you guys know the round 3 theme so you can send me your songs.

:orly:

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It

:orly:

Yeah sorry about that. I lost track of time but will post the results up today soon. PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Being in three roulettes is confusing. I can't remember what the heck I sent in this one. I hope it was good.

Offline Obfuscation

• Google It
:corn

Sorry for the long wait. I hope it was worth it though for you.

Being in three roulettes is confusing. I can't remember what the heck I sent in this one. I hope it was good.

That adds a bit more of suspense for you.

So now I will finally post the results for this 2nd round though I still wish I had a bit more listening time for these songs as some were long and some need quite a number of listens to get through its layers. Still in avoidance of letting this get stale, I must move on and prevent you guys from getting mad at me. :coolio

Seems like the main subjects of my terrible write-ups this time are intros and melodies. I also like I wasn't fair enough on some songs and the scores I gave them but I couldn't help giving some of them higher scores or lower scores at this moment or else I would take longer doing this. Also I knew these your favorite songs and I didn't let you send something you think I would like. I did this to see what are the musical tastes participating in this roulette and what each of you like. Also I always like finding out about people's favorite songs so yea.  We still got more rounds to do anyway. Forgive me for any grammatical errors in them too. Didn't have time to skim them for all of them.

Shadow Ninja 2.0 - The Ocean: Abyssopelagic II: Signals of Anxiety

You know I only heard this album once so I let this submission slide but I can sorta remember hearing this song and not digging it too much. Good thing I let you use it cause now I like it much more than I first did. Maybe its the way it started off and took a bit of time to get what I consider the good part but now listening to it more, I like the beginning a lot more now too. Thought I will say this that the vocals in those part I think are the weakest link of this song. I just have a love/hate relationship with the vocals of the singer so this band. Once we get the whole band playing, it makes the melody of this song sound much nicer and the vocalist gets to shine in those parts because he fits it very good. I wish they could have done more with this song though like make it longer and explore more ideas with the main theme in it. I just feel like it doesn't do much and had the chance to do much more. Score: 8/10

lonestar - IQ: The Seventh House

At first I was expecting this to be an epic song with lots of changing moments that sound like they could be different songs just put together. Sometimes that works but lots of times it doesn't. Good thing about this song is that it plays it safe and doesn't do many drastic changes but keeps it simple compare to other long songs but it works because of how good the music written for this song is. The intro though being something like 3 minutes long, actually feel long which is good and I like it. Plus the singers voice is really good and goes well with the intro. When the whole band kicks in, the song starts kicking ass in how I guess I will say, groovy it feels. Also the instrumental section is really well done and has a great ending too. Maybe I was expecting more "technical" or "complex" sections which aren't in this song and maybe that's why I feel like its missing something but that's just my opinion and should be disregarded since I probably still need to listen to this song more since each time I listen to it, the more I like it. I also criticized this song as if it were longer than 14 minutes because what it does in 14 minutes is impressive. Score: 8.5/10

senecadawg2 - Kayo Dot: Marathon

After the great submission you sent me last round, I was really looking forward to your song for this round. Your submission was really one of the more interesting ones in how it was different from everything else. I feel like my score for this song won't be too fair since I agree that its one that takes multiple listens and I don't think I gave it enough yet. I still haven't gotten used to the intro or should I say like it too much even though I think its sets the song's mood right away which is a good thing. But the first half of the song just feels like a long intro and then when the ambient section of the songs starts, it feels like an entirely different song almost. Maybe I still haven't made the connection and need to listen to it more. Score: 6.5/10

Dark Castle - The Red Chord: Fixation on Plastics

So again you send me a song that wants to melt your face and does one does that as well. I'm going to go ahead and say I like the one you sent me in the first round more though. This one gets the ball rolling pretty much right away and tries to make me break my neck headbanging to it. With the fast pace it keeps up, a complaint I have is that it makes the song feel too short. Wish it was longer and also the ending is a bit unexpected and not sure why it finished that way since it doesn't make much sense in the context of the song. Maybe it leads to the next song but I haven't hear it yet as to just focus on this one and the rest of the songs for this round. Score: 8/10

Lucien - Rush: Clockwork Angels

Rush, familiar with them, but only a bit of their work. This song makes me want to listen to them more. Another song in which I have to point out the intro because the one for this song is great. Every instrument does a great job playing their role in it and once the guitar kicks in with the bass, it gives this huge sound which I love. Like the drum beat played and also like how Geddy sings in this song. It has some good melody in it and a good upbeat feeling to it. Pretty much the only complaint I have about it is the section after the guitar solo which I feel like it makes the song lost a bit of steam and leaving me with wanting to go back to the main melody or sound I guess I would call of the song but that's just me nitpicking and maybe it just needs to grow on me a bit more. Score: 9/10

Ben_Jamin - The Arkitecht: Face Thief

Man you didn't make this round easy for me with this 32 minute song. I'm not going to go into much detail of the song since I would probably write an essay at this rate for it to talk about various parts of it. Lets just say that besides the fact that I probably need to listen to it more, I think it has an interesting concept and so many great moments. One obvious downfall for it is not the bands fault for not being able to have a live orchestra play for them in this song with the obvious midi files but the orchestra sections are great and give this song an epic feeling throughout. It has many solid riffs and solid drumming. I think the vocalist has a bit more growing to do on me or something because I still can't dig his voice in some parts. Maybe because I'm still not too familiar with the song, yes I know its 32 minutes but at times it felt really long and daunting to keep listening to it. I've had other 30 minute songs feel quicker for me but who knows what it is. Maybe its the breaks the song takes in some parts with the choir sections even though they're good. I know for sure I will keep listening to this song though and will probably like it more with each listen. Score: 8/10

adace - Soilwork: This Momentary Bliss

So I have listened to some songs off this album, not all, and have enjoyed them so was expecting good things from this one. The vocals in this song are great and really work with the amount of clean and harsh vocals it has. The chorus is as strong or good as some other songs I've heard from the same band or album. I really like the melody the guitars start off with and the drums are badass as they always are with their drummer. I just felt it as a good song but not a great song. Score : 7/10

Dr. DTVT - Enslaved: Death In the Eyes of Dawn

Good thing you weren't able to send the first song you wanted to so you could send this one. This song is one of those you can easily lose yourself in it with the atmosphere it has with the not-exactly slow but wonderful riff that sounds I guess the only word I can come up with at this late hour is smooth with the nice volume the bass has in this song. The vocals are also great though I would like the growling to be a bit better but maybe I'm just not that used to his voice yet. I like the changes this song does throughout from the main melody of the song to a more slower kinda darker feeling part to a more heavier and faster section. It just all fits and compliments each other well. I think the acoustic guitar ending is good too but I think I prefer the song to end with the band playing it to the end but that's just because that's how much I like that riff. Score: 9/10

Seems like scores were less higher than last round and was obsessed with using the number 8 as a score this time. Got a tight race going on, just how I like it.

Scores
lonestar - 8 + 8.5 = 16.5
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 8 + 8 = 16
Ben_Jamin - 7 + 8 = 15
Dark Castle - 9 + 8 = 17
senecadawg2 - 10 + 6.5 = 16.5
Dr. DTVT - 8.5 + 9 = 17.5
adace - 9 + 7 = 16
Lucien - 9.5 + 9 = 18.5

Round 3 theme will be to send me the most emotional song you know of. Could be either one that makes you feel really happy or really sad or both or so many different feels in it. If you think this theme sucks, LET ME KNOW YO! I WANT TO PLEASE YOU TOO! ;)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Cool, glad it struck in the right way with you. It's such a grower too, I've heard it a bajillion times, and still have days where I will listen to it multiple times in a row, the last five minutes is musical perfection for me.

Now, an emotional song, huh? Looks like you're gonna get my second favorite here...

Offline senecadawg2

Oh well, I guess I can't blame you given that I probably would've rated it similarly with so little time. I think it also hurts that it had to be removed from the context of the whole album. Don't worry, the next one is more simple

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Sent.