Author Topic: Jaq's Top 50 v. Massive Infodump (15-1!)  (Read 9788 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jaq's Top 50 v. Back To Work (30-26)
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2014, 11:00:51 AM »
I have Eyes of the Oracle only - cannot even remember if I like it cos it's been that long since I played it.

AMLOR is the Floyd album I grew up with and so , like many similar situations where bands moved on without key members around the time I first heard them , the fact that Waters wan't there meant nothing to me at the time.  I definitely rate that album highly.

I'm not a Maiden fan in general but I really enjoy 3 or 4 tracks off Number of the Beast and it'd be my "go to" album of theirs along with Powerslave on the odd occasion I feel like some Maiden.

Death/Marillion.........never done much for me I'm afraid but I'll check those albums out just in case :).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 11:34:50 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2014, 11:40:52 AM »
Didn't I say Spirtual Healing was the predecessor to Human?  :lol Whatever, that's what I meant. I have all three albums, including Individual Thought Patterns.  Killer run, there.
My bad  :lol I misread that.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2014, 11:41:48 AM »
Man, a Maiden/Priest show would have been off the charts!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Jaq's Top 50 v. Onward and upward! (34-31)
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2014, 02:49:56 PM »
One leg of Judas Priest’s tour for Screaming For Vengeance had as the opener-Iron Maiden. There was a local date scheduled here. I was going to go. It was going to be my first concert. AND IT GOT POSTPONED. And when Priest did come around, the opener was Heaven and I wound up not going. Of course, the next year I got to see Maiden headlining on the Piece of Mind tour, but still. What a fucking first concert Priest and Maiden would have been! (My first concert, by the by, was Def Leppard, Krokus, and Gary Moore. Not too shabby, but not Priest and Maiden.)

Now that update is more like it, Jaq!

I remember the Priest Maiden tour. It would still be a year or so before I started going, in fact, Def Lep/Krokus/Gary Moore (6/25/83 Cape Cod Coliseum) was my first concert too!!!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2014, 06:33:08 PM »
Some more greatness there.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2014, 10:37:47 PM »
What Brent said about AMLOR is pretty much spot on for me.  Don't know if it was my first Floyd album (I probably had The Wall and DSOTM), but it was certainly my first PF album 'as it was released'.  "Cinematic" is a great way to describe it.  Love this album.  Even the filler/transitional pieces have their place and meaning.

Number of the Beast made my Top 20.  Arguably one of the finest metal albums ever.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2014, 11:13:58 PM »
I like AMLOR more than most as well, so, while I wouldn't put it this high on my own list, I am thrilled to see it on yours, Jaq!! :tup :tup

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2014, 06:55:20 AM »
List will continue after I defeat the sinus infection that the cold I had earlier evolved into.  >:(  :censored
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2014, 09:43:43 AM »
Glad to see Momentary Lapse.  One Slip is criminally underrated if you ask me, even with it's 80s pop sensibilities.  It's a much more interesting song than Learning to Fly, in any event.  It still has that PF je ne sai quois (I'm sure I misspelled it) that makes it so much better than an average song.  I think the album sounds more like classic PF than The Division Bell as well.  I take this album over The Wall any day.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2014, 07:23:17 PM »
When I was first getting into Pink Floyd as a teenager (about 14 or 15), Terminal Frost was probably my most played song. :loser: It was all burned mix CDs back then for me, when a CD burner was a luxury and I used to burn discs for my classmates for $5. Every time I made a new Pink Floyd disk for myself to change the tracklist, Terminal Frost was always the first track.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2014, 08:41:56 AM »
*gives his sinus infection the finger*  :censored

Will be back at it tomorrow.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2014, 08:14:04 AM »
After a prolonged break due to the most stubborn cold/sinus infection ever and a couple of days of distraction by the release of the Diablo 3 expansion, back at it again! Hold your applause until the end.

25. Fates Warning-No Exit.

Released: 1988 (oh thanks heaps Wiki)
Produced by: Max Norman and Roger Probert

Track Listing:

1. No Exit 0:41
2. Anarchy Divine 3:46
3. Silent Cries 3:17
4. In a Word 4:25
5. Shades of Heavenly Death 5:57
6. The Ivory Gate of Dreams 21:58

“They sound like Rush.” In the days before someone coined progressive metal as a term to describe bands that blended progressive leanings with metal, this tended to be the critical descriptor for this sort of band. (Note that the critics usually meant 70’s Rush, as by the 80s Rush was in their wall of synths era.) Generally, though, said bands didn’t sound like Rush, and no band slapped with this label sounded, at the time, less like Rush than Fates Warning. No Exit is the band fusing progressive ambition with heavy metal riffing. A metal band doing a side long song wasn’t utterly unheard of (yes, back then it was all of a side) but Fates Warning presented the best realized one in the early prog metal days. While FW would go on to greater heights in terms of progressive music, No Exit is the best album of the band’s full on metal era, though Awaken The Guardian is a close second.

24. Rainbow-Rising.

Released: May 17, 1976
Produced by: Martin Birch

Track Listing:

1. Tarot Woman 6:01
2. Run with the Wolf 3:41
3. Starstruck 4:06
4. Do You Close Your Eyes 3:00
5. Stargazer 8:26
6. A Light in the Black 8:12

Hello again, 1976. So nice to see you. The first “proper” Rainbow album (the debut was basically a Ritchie Blackmore solo album, with Ronnie James Dio and Elf serving as the backing band, released before Blackmore left Deep Purple), Rising is a masterpiece of 70s hard rock. Proto-speed metal songs like Tarot Woman and A Light In The Black, catchy hard rockers, the monumental progressive epic Stargazer…Rising is 33 minutes of pure awesome. Oddly, though, Rising rarely made a dent on the band’s live set list (it took forever for a live version of Stargazer to surface) but it’s easily the best album Rainbow did and one of the best rock albums of the 1970s.

23. Between The Buried And Me-Colors

Released: September 18, 2007
Produced by: Jamie King and Between The Buried And Me

Track Listing:

1. Foam Born (A) the Backtrack    2:13
2. (B) the Decade of Statues 5:20
3. Informal Gluttony 6:47
4. Sun of Nothing 10:59
5. Ants of the Sky 13:10
6. Prequel to the Sequel 8:36
7. Viridian 2:51
8. White Walls 14:13

In 2007, Between The Buried And Me was “that band that did that cool Selkies song.” They were also the band that had gotten some hilarious copy from Victory Records about Alaska, desperately comparing the band to acts like System of A Down trying to get some attention, which always made me chuckle. Alaska had gotten a lot of hype, but for me, it was missing something. (It has grown on me in later years, though, as has the rest of BTBAM’s pre-Colors work.) Colors, the album where the band fully embraced the progressive side of their music and truly transitioned away from the metalcore label they’d been slapped with to full on progressive metal, found it for me. I had become a little bored and dare I say jaded by the state of progressive metal when Colors came out, and for me, it was an album that walked up to the giants of prog metal, kicked them collectively in the shins, and said “up your game, boys, we’re here.” I have to mention Ants In The Sky, and particularly the last few minutes, where the band suddenly takes a left turn into a full on hoe down, I’m going “what the fuck is this?” and then BOOM, it reprises that glorious guitar line from earlier in the song, Tommy Rogers starts ROARING, and you have my favorite two minutes of music ever. I caught BTBAM on the first Prog Nation tour, and remember how so many people spent the 30 minutes of their set looking utterly perplexed. A guy next to me wondered aloud how many songs they had done. “Two,” I told him. Seeing BTBAM play Ants of the Sky and White Walls to a fairly perplexed crowd remains one of my concert going highlights.

22. Yes-Close To The Edge

Released: September 13, 1972
Produced by: Yes and Eddie Offord.

Track Listing:

1. Close To The Edge 18:43
2. And You And I 10:08
3. Siberian Khatru 8:55

I half-expect Orbert to come running into this thread, saying “Did someone mention Yes?!”  :lol  I told this story in his thread on the Yes discography, but Close to the Edge was a crucial step in the early days of my growth as a fan of music, before I ever heard a note of it. I would go to record stores and would flip through albums by bands I had heard of or sounded interesting as a younger Jaq, and I remember very clearly the day I picked up this green album cover by Yes, turning in over, and realizing “this album only has THREE songs? You can do that?!” Without hearing a note, Close to the Edge taught me, before any other album, that rock music didn’t have to be married to the verse-chorus-verse, done in four minutes template, that it could be ambitious and huge and mindbending. And when I finally heard it, I was impressed by it being three perfectly realized, positively amazing songs, full of sheer fantastic performances. I can’t imagine what this must have sounded like to people in 1972 when it was new. There are a handful of prog rock albums I recommend to people to try to “get” prog rock, and Close to the Edge is always the one I recommend by Yes.

21. Pink Floyd-Animals

Released: January 23, 1977
Produced by: Pink Floyd.

Track Listing:

1. Pigs on the Wing Part 1 1:25
2. Dogs 17:03
3. Pigs (Three Different Ones) 11:25
4. Sheep 10:25
5. Pigs on the Wing Part 2 1:23

The second Pink Floyd album on my list-spoilers: there’s one more coming!-is a fond memory of mine because of nights where I’d come home after a night of the sort of misadventures that I spoke of in Kev’s various threads and I’d put on Animals and fall asleep to it, usually not making it to the ambient keyboard section of Dogs. I bought a murderer’s row of Pink Floyd albums with my second paycheck ever-this, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall-and at that time, Animals was the one that got the most play. Dogs features easily the best guitar playing David Gilmour ever did in my opinion-it’s wave after wave of great solos, and that song is reason enough for it to make this list, but the rest of the album is equally glorious. I always liked how it was bookended by the relative calm of the two parts of Pigs on the Wing, and it’s a brilliant case of a concept album that isn’t overwhelmed by the concept. Fantastic album.

Coming up, hopefully before May, the Top 20. How many albums from 1976 will make it? (hint: several.)  :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Jaq's Top 50 v. Back From The Dead and Out of Ammunition (25-21)
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2014, 09:02:39 AM »
Sounds about right, since you always pimp up 1976 as much as I do! :tup :tup

Best year for music ever?  Yes.  Yes it is.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2014, 11:13:04 AM »
If memory serves, my top 100 had something on the order of 15 albums from 1976 on it. The thing about 1976 is there were multiple bands who put out more than ONE classic to very good albums in 1976!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2014, 01:49:08 PM »
That is as solid as any 5 albums I've seen someone other than myself (for obvious reasons) string together outside of a top 20.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2014, 07:40:39 PM »
Sounds about right, since you always pimp up 1976 as much as I do! :tup :tup

Best year for music ever?  Yes.  Yes it is.

1976 was great, but I'll place my chips on 1971 any day of the week. 
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2014, 07:44:38 PM »
I put my money on 1972. Close to the Edge and 666. Nuf' said.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2014, 07:44:58 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_in_music#Albums_released

It isn't just the quality of a few albums, it's the staggering amount of albums that were either the best the band ever did or one of their best. This is a year where a shitload of eternal classic albums that have songs still being played today came out. 1976 is the best year in rock music simply because of top to bottom quality. I mean look at that damn list!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2014, 08:52:27 AM »
I got no beef with 1976 at all.  But with albums like Zeppelin IV, Who's Next, Sticky Fingers, Meddle, LA Woman, Imagine, Fragile, Aqualung, Master of Reality, The Yes Album, Nursery Cryme, and Fireball... like I said, I'll lay my chips down with those.

Not to turn this into a debate on which year is better but I stumbled across this website that tried to take an analytical approach to evaluating the best albums of a given period - https://www.besteveralbums.com/yearstats.php?y=197

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2014, 08:54:54 AM »
Two epics in Rainbow Rising and Animals....  :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2014, 09:19:27 AM »
Animals :tup
Colors :tup
Close to the Edge :tup

No Exit is not my thing and I haven't heard Rising in full.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2014, 01:39:56 PM »
I got no beef with 1976 at all.  But with albums like Zeppelin IV, Who's Next, Sticky Fingers, Meddle, LA Woman, Imagine, Fragile, Aqualung, Master of Reality, The Yes Album, Nursery Cryme, and Fireball... like I said, I'll lay my chips down with those.

Not to turn this into a debate on which year is better but I stumbled across this website that tried to take an analytical approach to evaluating the best albums of a given period - https://www.besteveralbums.com/yearstats.php?y=197

Pretty cool that they did that. Suffice to say, the '70's was bustling with gems.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2014, 10:54:40 AM »

Pretty cool that they did that. Suffice to say, the '70's was bustling with gems.

Funny thing was, at the beginning of the 80's it was widely considered that the 70's sucked musically.   :lol 

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2014, 09:49:38 PM »
bumping the current crop of top 50 lists to hopefully get some updates soon.  If you need to take a prolonged break, let me know and I'll get some other lists started.  We've got people waiting in line ready to go.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2014, 10:40:51 PM »
Yeah, hurry up! I'm in line dammit!  :biggrin:

Nah, take your time  :tup

Offline Jaq

« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2014, 12:14:21 AM »
I actually didn't realize it'd had been this long, wow. I'll see what I can bang out tomorrow.  :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2014, 04:20:28 PM »
Okay, no excuses this time, I just plain lost track of time playing the Diablo 3 expansion. Yes I lost days doing that, hush.  :lol

20. Genesis-Foxtrot

Released: October 6, 1972
Produced by: David Hitchcock and Genesis

Track Listing:
1. Watcher of the Skies   7:23
2. Time Table 4:45
3. Get 'Em Out by Friday 8:36
4. Can-Utility and the Coastliners 5:44
5. Horizons 1:41
6. Supper's Ready 22:58

You can blame Orbert for this one. For years, if you asked me what my favorite Genesis albums were divided by the usual eras, I would have cited one that (spoiler alert) is coming up later and Selling England by the Pound. But in listening to the Genesis discography during Orbert’s thread, Foxtrot opened up to me. I realized at last that I had approached it at a distance because of my long preference for the Seconds Out version of Supper’s Ready, but the album as a whole is magnificent. When you create a mellotron intro as timeless as the one for Watcher of the Skies that the company who makes the mellotron sells a “Watcher mix”, you did something right. Genesis had been putting pieces together on their first three albums: this is where they became Genesis as we knew them in the Gabriel era.

19. Moon Safari-Blomljud

Released: 2008 (If anyone can find the date, I’d appreciate it)
Produced by: Moon Safari

Track Listing:

Disc One:

1. Constant Bloom 1:27
2. Methuselah's Children 15:43
3. In the Countryside 5:43
4. Moonwalk 8:49
5. Bluebells 10:11
6. The Ghost of Flowers Past 9:46

Disc Two:   

1.  Yasgur's Farm 8:06
2. Lady of the Woodlands 3:37
3. A Tale of Three and Tree 3:28
4. Other Half of the Sky 31:44
5. To Sail Beyond the Sunset 5:18

Pretty sure everyone at DTF has a story about how a thread on a band resulted in them finding a band (or more) that they never would have heard of otherwise. Moon Safari is mine. My favorite modern progressive rock band, Blomljud is two CDs worth of the most endlessly catchy, earworm worthy progressive rock you’ll ever heard, with the finest collection of vocal melodies and harmony singing you will ever hear, accessible enough to recommend to a prog newcomer but with enough going on to keep a prog veteran happy. The recurring musical motifs, call backs, the perfectly structured epics, the vocals-this is just a glorious, wonderful, perfect album. Get it if you like prog in the least.

18. Emerson, Lake & Palmer-Brain Salad Surgery

Released: November 19, 1973
Produced by: Greg Lake

Track Listing:

1. Jerusalem 2:41
2. Toccata 7:16
3. Still...You Turn Me On 2:50
4. Benny the Bouncer 2:15
5. Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression, Pt. 1 8:39
6. Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression, Pt. 2 4:43
7. Karn Evil 9: 2nd Impression 7:05
8. Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression 9:05

I described ELP’s monument to progressive rock excess, Brain Salad Surgery, in Orbert’s thread about ELP as being my all-time favorite progressive rock album. That has been slightly re-assessed for this list, but that takes nothing away from it, or my love of it. Brain Salad Surgery is an album by a band aiming for nothing less than 110% over the top in everything from the music to the presentation (that fuckin’ COVER) to presenting a song so long at the time that it sprawled across two sides of the vinyl. Hearing about this as a younger Jaq, I was convinced that Karn Evil 9 had to be the best thing ever if it needed that fucking much SPACE. And I wasn’t far off.

17. Dream Theater-Images and Words

Released: July 7, 1992
Produced by: David Prater

Track Listing:

1. Pull Me Under 8:14
2. Another Day   4:23
3. Take the Time 8:21
4. Surrounded 5:30
5. Metropolis—Part I: "The Miracle and the Sleeper" 9:32
6. Under a Glass Moon 7:03
7. Wait for Sleep 2:31
8. Learning to Live 11:30

I will resist the urge to make my write up of this be a simple “ugh, that triggered snare” and instead tell a story about just why I love this album and Dream Theater so much. In my teens and into my early 20s, I had ambitions of writing and playing music. I was hampered by being a mediocre drummer, a merely competent singer who had the bad luck of sounding just like Paul Stanley when he sang, and a lyricist who had a penchant for overly long and melodramatic lyrics. Needless to say, the music career never happened. But in my head, oh, in my head, I knew precisely what I was wanting to play. I wanted music that blended the thunder of heavy metal with the technical skill of progressive rock. It was why I was drawn to Rush, why I liked Maiden’s longer numbers and loved Queensryche, and why Fates Warning made me say “this is ALMOST what I want to play, but not quite.” And then there came that day when I was watching MTV and saw the video for Pull Me Under, and when the guitar came in, a voice in my head-a frustrated Jaq in his late teens-shouted “THAT’S HOW IT WOULD HAVE SOUNDED!” Needless to say, I am not suggesting that young me thought he was capable of writing and playing anything as timeless or amazing as Images and Words, but that’s why it spoke to me so, and still does to this day. Dream Theater remains the ideal for the music that moves me most, and it began with Images and Words. The album I wish I had been good enough to come up with.

16. Metallica-Master of Puppets

Released: February 24, 1986
Produced by: Flemming Rassmussen and Metallica

Track Listing:
1. Battery 5:12
2. Master of Puppets 8:36
3. The Thing That Should Not Be 6:37
4. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)   6:27
5. Disposable Heroes 8:17
6. Leper Messiah 5:40
7. Orion 8:28
8. Damage, Inc. 5:29

Back in the 80s, without the internet, you were largely at the mercy of metal magazines to find out just when a band had an album coming out, so all too often the first you heard of it was when it hit your local record store. In the case of Master of Puppets, though, I had the good fortune to have a friend who went away for college, in a town where Kerrang was sold, and he would mail me copies of it. So it was a mere eleven days before it came out that I got the issue of Kerrang that had a preview of Metallica’s Master of Puppets, including the release date. Longest eleven days of my musical life. Master of Puppets is the template the band laid down on Ride The Lightning executed to perfection, a game changing shot across the bow of heavy metal that to this day still sounds as amazing as it did to me when it came out. There isn’t a note out of place or a riff wasted, a front to back masterpiece.

Nose to the grindstone time. Hope to have the top fifteen in as soon as possible!

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:12:18 PM by Jaq »

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Jaq's Top 50 v. Normal Service Resumes (20-16)
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2014, 04:40:01 PM »
Some stellar choices here.

I predict either Nursery Cryme or The Lamb further on in your list? :biggrin: I understand why many love Foxtrot, and I like it as well, but it's never really totally clicked with me on the level NC and Selling England have. Supper's Ready never struck me as one of prog's finer epics honestly, but Watcher of the Skies is a standout track for me. That mellotron intro is awe-inspiring.

Nothing more to be said about I&W. It's timeless.

Master of Puppets :metal Defined metal for me when I was getting into it. Still one of the best.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2014, 06:51:30 PM »
Good write up for Images and Words.  Top 5 for me, pure music perfection.

MoP is one of the best metal albums and easily my favorite Metallica disc.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2014, 06:06:57 AM »
As life has seen fit to be throwing near constant distractions at me, and knowing others have waited ages to do theirs, I'm gonna pull a Zook and just give you the rest of my list at once. Apologies for all the distractions, just how life is around these parts.

15. Kiss-Destroyer

While this album is more Bob Ezrin's triumph than it is Kiss, that doesn't make it any less a consummate hard rock album with the single best production 70s hard rock had. Destroyer sounded like it came from another planet when it came out in 1976, and it still sounded otherworldly ten years later.

14. Electric Light Orchestra-El Dorado.

Probably a bit of a shock that this is so high, but El Dorado is the perfect bridge between Jeff Lynne's earlier, more progressive leanings and the full on pop-rock hit machine the band became afterwards. Having one of my five favorite songs in Can't Get It Out Of My Head doesn't hurt it either.

13. The Beatles-Abbey Road.

The Beatles were the first band a very, very young Jaq loved, and while my introduction to the band was, of course, Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road is my favorite album of theirs by far. It is one of a handful of albums that I have owned on vinyl, on cassette, and on CD. The sixteen minutes of the second side's medley ranks among my favorite moments in music ever.

12. Ozzy Osbourne-Blizzard of Ozz.

Given the abbreviated nature of these reviews, I could basically just say "Randy Rhoads" and be done with it. Rhoads' playing on this album was so eye opening and stunning at the time it came out that just about anyone who heard him play had their jaw drop, and Mr. Crowley tended to make it stay dropped. Diary of a Madman is arguably a more complete album, but Blizzard of Ozz gets the nod for how I reacted to Randy Rhoads at the time.

11. Stevie Ray Vaughn-Texas Flood.

For all the shredders and speed demons and metal guitarists I love with a passion, Stevie Ray Vaughn is, and likely always will be, my favorite guitar player. I didn't always think so-young Jaq saw the video for Love Struck Baby and basically shrugged at it-but that changed big time when I got into the blues about eight years ago. Stevie Ray Vaughn could fucking WAIL.

10. Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here.

I'm not certain if this is how it goes for everyone who likes Pink Floyd, but it feels like it should. You start out young and thinking The Wall is the best thing ever. You grow older and it's Dark Side of the Moon. You get a little older and suddenly you realize how good Animals and Wish You Were Here are. Though I admit to infrequently playing the REST of Shine On You Crazy Diamond, that doesn't make my love for this album any less.

9. Genesis-Wind And Wuthering.

Another one of the albums I came to re-evaluate as I made this list, another 1976 album, and the Genesis album with my single favorite Genesis song in One For The Vine. Sure, it has the drawback of Steve Hackett barely seeming to be on it, but the songs are exceptional and it's the perfect balance between the band's full out prog and quirky pop eras, for me at any rate.

8. Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind.

Each of Iron Maiden's 80s albums was a leap in terms of songwriting, performances, and production. Piece of Mind was the biggest leap, with the arrival of Nicko McBrain giving Steve Harris a drummer that could go toe to toe with him, Bruce Dickinson becoming fully active as a songwriter, and the Murray/Smith team developing their telepathic guitar link. I remember at the time being hugely into Def Leppard's Pyromania, seeing the video for Flight of Icarus, and suddenly I simply couldn't give Def Leppard the time of day.

7. Opeth-Morningrise.

Someone likes Morningrise? Someone put it in their top ten? ALERT THE MEDIA. Opeth's first two albums are considered (if they are considered at all) the red headed stepchildren of Opeth's discography, with the band properly coming into existence with My Arms Your Hearse, but fuck that noise, they're brilliant. Morningrise was the first Opeth album I ever heard, and I fell in love with it and played it endlessly for months. Magnificent.

6. Boston-self titled.

1976 strikes again. It can be argued, convincingly, that Boston was largely a musical one trick pony-what you got on Boston is what you got for the rest of their careers, though I submit that anyone who says that never really listened to A Man I'll Never Be-but given how damned good Boston's debut album was, that's a hell of a trick to have. This album deserves to be in my top 10 for a lot of reasons, but given the brevity of my reviews I'll simply cite the fact that More Than A Feeling has been my favorite song for thirty three years now, and leave it at that.

5. Marillion-Misplaced Childhood.

The early Fish albums of Marillion, oddly enough, were found in the heavy metal imports section of a local record store, which was where I found Misplaced Childhood on the day a modestly hung over Jaq took his first paycheck ever and bought an armload of prog rock albums. I bought Misplaced Childhood on an utter whim, took it home, fell in love with it, and proceeded to annoy everyone I knew by telling them they needed to buy it now. Essentially a single 45 minute long song in terms of structure, with brilliant recurring themes and call backs and melodies, it's one of the finest concept albums ever.

4. Iron Maiden-Powerslave

The only band with two albums in my top ten, Iron Maiden was at their best when they dropped Powerslave on the world, and in my humble opinion were the best heavy metal band ever at that point. The leap in quality between Piece of Mind and Powerslave was a quantum leap, just a never ending assault of metal masterpieces, with some of the lesser known tracks being really brilliant and the well known being masterpieces.

3. Thin Lizzy-Jailbreak.

Yet another 1976 album, which by now should come as no shock to you. The debt that hard rock and heavy metal owes Thin Lizzy is enormous-their twin guitar sound can be found influencing more bands than I can cite now. It was one of the earliest albums that young Jaq looked at and realized that a band wasn't married to having a lead guitarist and a strictly rhythm guitarist, that they could have more than one guitarist playing solos! A simple revelation, an obvious one, really, but one I had. Throw away the two songs everyone knows and this album is STILL a classic hard rock album.

2. Dream Theater-Scenes From A Memory.

Not going to discuss the musical merits of this one, given where we are, but instead, going to tell you a story. In 1999 I was profoundly let down by Dream Theater. Falling Into Infinity was a colossal let down, the live album that followed was a hot mess, and the band seemed to have become one of those ones I liked for a bit and then moved on from. And then a local FYE suddenly started selling the Liquid Tension Experiment albums, and I saw them, and saw who was in them, and bought them both. And in reading the liner notes for the second album, I discovered that Jordan Rudess was now in Dream Theater. "Well, hello," I remarked, utterly excited at that notion. Around this time, I finally got around to entering the world of the internet (slow adopter, I am) and I headed to Dream Theater's website where I discovered that SFAM was a mere two weeks awake from being released. Thankfully, the album was worth the two weeks of musical anticipation I went through.

And the number one, favorite album of Jaq.

1. Roger Waters-Amused To Death.

Probably a left field choice, but it's mine and I'm sticking to it. It might have a lot to do with the fact that, when it came out, I was unemployed, having lost my job during the recession of '92, so I was spending a lot of time watching TV and channel surfing, so it felt a lot like the soundtrack to my life, but Amused to Death's observations on media resonated with me, and interestingly enough, with a few dated references removed, still fit today. (Especially the song The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range, which was written about cruise missile attacks in the Persian Gulf War and are just as applicable to modern day drone attacks.) It's a dark album, with Waters' wit set to barbed, but it's also a little hopeful at times, very cynical, and helped along with the best collection of songs Roger Waters wrote outside of Pink Floyd and some tasty Jeff Beck guitar playing.

And there you have it, the oft delayed, rushed to completion, top 50 of Jaq. I thank whoever is left for their attention.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
Re: Jaq's Top 50 v. Massive Infodump (15-1!)
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2014, 08:55:55 AM »
A very fine pick for number 1 Mr Jaq. You won't find me disagreeing with you about Roger Waters' finest solo album (and probably any album he's worked on)
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2014, 04:26:46 PM »
A fine finish. :tup

And Powerslave :hifive:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2014, 05:14:14 PM »
Great seeing Lizzy so high.

Maiden of course are perfect.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2014, 05:31:39 PM »
Nice writeups.  I'll dispute that Powerslave was a monumental leap over PoM.  Pound for pound, I think PoM is Maiden's most solid album.  Not anything even remotely close to stinky there.  Boston :hefdaddy: of course, and nice to see WYWH so high.  It's my 2nd fave behind The Wall (of all time), but nowadays I probably enjoy WYWH more.

Great dump Jaq.

Wait.  Wut?!?!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2014, 05:48:47 PM »
Of course you know... this means war.