Author Topic: Lucien's Roulette - THE END  (Read 12705 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: Lucien's Roulette - 1: Nostalgia (pending)
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2014, 04:44:25 PM »
-Shadow Ninja 2.0
Thousand Foot Krutch: Forward Motion

That was a really bad quality link  :lol Don't worry though, it didn't take away much. This song is ridiculously catchy, and by like the third listen I was already singing along with it. "let's keep it moving in a forward motion.." The subtle piano strikes during those lines really strikes my fancy. Melodically, this song really works out. I could definitely see this song being nostalgic to anyone. Unfortunately, there isn't really much else to this song, though this song has exceeded my expectations, being a pop-rock Christian-esque song. Really great.
14/20

-Buddyhunter1
Oceansize - The Frame

This is quite an interesting one. Starts off with a very minimalistic guitar playing a simple monophonic melody. Then another guitar (or bass) comes in, and some effects are heard, complicating the melody. A brush of texture here and there. The progression on top of the common melody adds a lot of interest. Some of the effects even sound poppy, showing off the sort-of uplifting nature of the song, emphasized by the lyrics and singing that come in later. Suddenly, drums, and other effects come in, bringing the simple melody (still playing) to a kind of realization. The only thing that I really have against is it's length. I do have to say that the ending fade-out with the guitar is excellent.
16/20

-Adace
Alcest - Souvenirs d'Un Autre Monde

Wow. I would have to say that this is quite an entrance to shoegaze for me, though I have heard some music like this. The vocals are just  :heart and it sounds so uplifting and great. Acoustic guitars are delicious and smooth when they exist. Really though, the vocals are just SO BEAUTIFUL. I don't have much to write about this one because.. Ohh. I like this. I like this a lot. Guitars compliment the dreamy vocals, both acoustic and electric, and are quite good on their own in that regard, in the instrumental section. Bookmarked.
17/20

-Senecadawg2
David Gray: Disappearing World

Talk about emotional piano. I don't know if this song should make me sad or happy. The vocalist sounds a little strange to me, but that doesn't really matter all that much. Lyrics are really great. The sections where there are a ton more instruments playing, with the soaring vocals, with the piano pulsing in the background, especially please me. Then those sections transition back into the void, and the piano is all that's left, before a few of the other instruments come back. I really like this one.
16/20

-Ben_Jamin
Faunts: So Far Away

Oh man. I hear the beats and I think I'm going to hear some weak pop song. Weak is like the opposite word of what I would use to describe this. This is great. Subtle melody from all the instruments, with the beat in the background with sort of a driving force to it, contrasted by the laid back feel of everything else. Nice, dreamy vocals. A rather simple song, and actually rather short, but this is just so good. Bookmarked.
18/20

-Elite
David Bowie: Life on Mars

I don't know if the music video helps or hurts you :lol This is a nice pop song, a la Elton John. In fact, this reminds me a lot of Elton John. Here is a simple, catchy melody, with a pretty great vocalist, and some pretty funny lyrics. Is there life on MAAARRRSSS??? I really don't get the lyrics, actually, but the presentation of them and the strength of the vocalist really helps. I don't have much more to say about this song, but it's good. :lol
15/20

-LieLowTheWantedMan
Queens of the Stone Age: No One Knows

What a FUN song! Super catchy melody within the instruments, though the vocal lines seem to be lacking for me. The lyrics also don't make much sense to me. That doesn't matter to me, as this song is so catchy, like the one Shadow Ninja sent, though I like the catchiness a bit more in this song. The bridge is fantastic, and honestly outshines everything else in the song. Then suddenly, bass and more vocals, then the catchy, choppy guitar and bass. Really nice, catchy song, and I don't know why you thought I would dislike. I was rather confused by the spanish section though :lol
14/20

-Lonestar
Thoughts Factory: No Way Out

I've certainly heard of this band, and what an entrance it was. This song is freakishly aggressive, and the heaviest thing I got this round by far. Actually reminds me of DT a lot, though the mix/master is a lot better. Vocals are really good, and dayyyuuum, that guitar playing is just ridiculous. Not to mention this is a debut album! That chorus is really great, and talk about soaring vocals. Wow, that keyboard solo is surprising, then drums come in, then bass comes in, ten everything else. Then suddenly a VERY Rudess-like solo. This is about as Dream Theater-esque as one can possibly get twithout being Dream Theater  ;D Right after that solo, though is a really cool section with time signature stuff all over again, then the chorus comes back.. This song is really great.
16/20

Results, for tl;dr:

Shadow Ninja - 14
Buddyhunter - 16
Adace - 17
Seneca - 16
Benjamin - 18
Elite - 15
Lielow - 14
Lonestar - 16

A very consistent round, and lots of great music.  ;D

ROUND 2: Either send me a classical piece (remember the time limit of 15 minutes  ::)), or a piece from a soundtrack (video game, movie, TV show, etc etc)

Just note that I will be away all next week. Send your songs, but I can't listen to them till the monday after next. I promise the rounds will be much quicker after this one.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Lucien's Roulette - 1: Nostalgia RESULTS
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 04:47:42 PM »
oh no

Sorry about the link, didn't even check it. :lol   Next song will be sent soon.

And sent.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:05:54 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 05:09:47 PM »
I'm glad you enjoyed that and I'll be sure to send soon!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 05:14:17 PM »
Glad you liked the song. Your description is actually how I felt when I first heard it.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2014, 05:24:57 PM »
Cool man, glad you enjoyed it.

Round two sent!!

Offline adace

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2014, 05:57:36 PM »
Sweet, glad you dug that one.

Sent.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2014, 08:38:40 PM »
Soooooo, what video games have you played?

Just asking cuz there's some amazing video game soundtracks that might be a bit too obvious (meaning you've probably already played the game)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lucien

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2014, 08:58:11 PM »
I've played a ton, but there are quite a few rather obvious games that I haven't played. Just send whatever you like most, and if I'm familiar with it, I'll just tell you to send again.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2014, 10:54:10 PM »
Sent

Offline Lucien

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2014, 08:53:23 PM »
Elite still needs to send. Bunch of resends this round, because I know too much of this crap.  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2014, 11:06:45 PM »
Guess I'm scott free.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2014, 04:12:31 AM »
Will look into when I get home. Completely forgot about this one, I'm sorry!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2014, 09:55:49 AM »
Sent just now.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2014, 11:17:53 AM »
This is probably partly due to me, but this has got to be the slowest moving roulette ever. One month has passed and we've had only one round. When can we expect results for round 2?
Squ

Offline Lucien

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2014, 11:19:44 AM »
Very soon. I'm thinking either later today or tomorrow. This was because of the ton of resends, mostly. LieLow resent earlier today. Wasn't expecting this to be a difficult round  :lol

The next rounds should be a ton easier.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2014, 08:41:41 PM »
:police: You're late

Offline Lucien

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2014, 09:27:49 PM »
 :facepalm:

I *PROMISE* to have it done tomorrow. Oh my God, I need to stop procrastinating. :justshootme:

I'm really sorry about this round. We'll significantly speed up for the next 3 rounds after this. Hopefully we don't have any resend issues during the next rounds, but I never imagined this would be the difficult round. There is some really great stuff this round.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2014, 09:33:33 PM »
Also that crap I sent. :P

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2014, 09:34:19 PM »
Yeah sorry. I know basically nothing in soundtracks or classical music. :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2014, 09:38:02 PM »
I was originally going to send something from The Social Network's soundtrack, but I don't know the tracks very well and I didn't want to listen through the whole thing at the time, so... that's why I sent what I sent. :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2014, 10:40:40 AM »
Good thing there's only three more rounds, otherwise we'd be here all year. :neverusethis:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2014, 10:42:50 AM »
Both you and Lucien are really lagging, man.

Offline Lucien

Re: Lucien's Roulette - 2: Soundtrack/Classical RESULTS
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2014, 06:58:05 PM »
This has gone on long enough.

-Shadow Ninja 2.0
Sound of Noise - Doctor, Doctor (soundtrack)

:lol This sentence describes my feeling of this song:
What the hell, that was awesome, funny, and disturbing at the same time.
I have no clue what this song really is in the context of the movie, but it actually works pretty well as a standalone instrumental. The clip it self didn't really make much sense to me, but that doesn't really matter. Musically, the song was pretty catchy, and all of the "instruments" used were pretty genius. I like it.
15/20

-Buddyhunter1 (soundtrack)
Chrono Trigger - To Far Away Times

Right off the bat I know this is my kind of music. It instantly registers pretty smoothly in my head, images floating around and stuff. I haven't played this game, but I've heard it mentioned a lot, especially by friends of mine. Sounds like something very nostalgic to you. All the instruments work perfectly together in this song, with the pulsing bass defining very smoothly the key. The piano/bass duet is my favorite part, where much of that distinctiveness is obscured, until the other instruments come back and redefine the key. I like this a lot, and might get the game it comes from. Bookmarked.
16/20

-Adace
Maurice Ravel - Daybreak (classical)

Oh, man. Ohhhh, man. This song is just right. Fluttery winds, wavy basses, defining the melody... I have so much yet so little to say about this song. The harmony is so great, OH I love this piece. The development, the transitions, the melody, the harmony, it's so PERFECT.  :heart :heart :heart Bookmarked.
20/20

-Senecadawg2
Clint Mansell - Death is the Road to Awe (soundtrack)

Ooh. This is intriguing. Nice bass foundation, loving the melody in the violins... There's a lot of good in this one. Chimes work really well with the piece later on... Cellos, violins... Some really great transitions.. Descending scale in the bass section is amazing. Okay, there are the chimes again. Reminds me of that really big bell instrument played like a keyboard, the chimes. Guitars come in, really nice, and it appears we have full development, theeen quiet, with rumbling basses. Then it all comes back again, with another violin solo.. I really like this one. Bookmarked.
17/20

-Ben_Jamin
Kingdom Hearts II - Passion (After the Battle) (soundtrack)

Now, I'm actually very aware of Kingdom Hearts, but I never recalled hearing this song, so I let you send it to me. Some nice subtleties going on here, and obviously the many themes of Kingdom Hearts are present here, but not so many that I would force you to resend. After the first group of themes, there is a really triumphant part, albeit with a few of the themes in the game, but presented in a new, refreshing way that makes me enjoy the piece quite a bit more than some of the standalone songs. Really great.
16/20

-Elite
Benjamin Britten - Sinfonia da Requiem, Op. 20 (classical)

I. I had my speakers way up the first time listening, and wow did that surprise me.  :o Anyways, I like the low, funeral march sound of this first section. Getting some Stravinsky vibes from what I'm hearing, actually. Lots of nasty dissonance, unsurprising for a requiem. I am actually really surprised that I'm listening to the same guy who wrote the Simple Symphony, which was a lot lighter, though I feel a sort of misty rain from both pieces. The bitter march continues, tension builds, the pow! Cymbal crash, tremolo strings, brass melody... Timpani returns with pulsing, thundering on.. Then it goes quiet. The flute makes an entrance, and the 2nd movement starts, with violin pulsing, and sounds that imitate a horse ride. Xylophone parts (star wars much?) are really cool, and holy cow, is that 7/8 I hear? Trumpets and other winds dominate the melody this movement. Lots of awesome percussion, almost like Leonard Bernstein's stuff. I like. Third movement (I think), and it gets really quiet, with lower instruments and flutes dominating. Wow, this is creepy. Oh wait, there goes the dissonance. Not so creepy now. Actually kind of sad sounding. It is a requiem after all. The piece is now very calm, and is that a rumbling timpani under the violins? Oh yes, that's what that is, I think. Very rainy sounding. Another build up, a few cymbal strikes, gets quieter.. Piccolo, plucked strings, solo violinist.. Really great. I like this piece a lot. Bookmarked.
18/20

-LieLowTheWantedMan
Akira Yamaoka - A Stray Child (soundtrack)

Talk about dark ambient.  Starts out very simple, then slowly gains actual tonality. Then suddenly a drum starts giving us a distinctive beat. Other notes start flying in from many directions. Slowly, the piece gains complexity, but remains simple in idea and structure. Liking this. The drums get a bit more ragged, electric. Suddenly, other instruments join and form a real melody. When that section is over, it steps back one stage, then the instruments come back. I like the tone of everything, and this has a really nice atmosphere. Bookmarked.
17/20

-Lonestar
Aaron Copland - Appalachian Spring (classical)

A single, sustained note, like the wind. A flute occurs, the wind shifts direction through the mountains and trees. A certain sense of beauty. Birds dance in the sky. Other animals join the merriment as spring arrives. The birds triumphantly call that spring has arrived (trumpet/horn duet). What a triumphant song. I like the melodies a lot, even if they are rather simple in orchestration and harmony. I really do enjoy this piece. The flute returns as the birds and animals are all content in the realization that there is yet another year of feeding, dancing, and basking in light.
17/20

Shadow Ninja - 29
Buddyhunter - 32
Adace - 37
Seneca - 33
Benjamin - 34
Elite - 33
Lielow - 31
Lonestar - 33

And currently in a 3 point lead is Adace!

Round 3 - Send an album's centerpiece. Take that word as you will, either literally as the center of the album, or actually as the "great" song on the album, whether is be the one considered the best by whatever fanbase it has, title track, etc.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:11:12 PM by Lucien »

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2014, 07:53:31 PM »
Sent!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2014, 08:04:43 PM »
Haha, I thought I was posting obfuscations thread.

Edit: I'm guessing you never beat the game?

Offline Lucien

« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2014, 09:07:25 PM »
Haha, I thought I was posting obfuscations thread.

Edit: I'm guessing you never beat the game?

Oh lol.

I've beaten the game, I just don't recall the song :dunno:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2014, 09:10:12 PM »
To Far Away Times :metal

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2014, 01:25:06 AM »
Sent.

Offline adace

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2014, 02:21:11 AM »
Thrilled you enjoyed it so much. Thanks for the perfect score! :hat

Will send soon.

Edit: Sent.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:28:31 AM by adace »

Offline Lucien

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2014, 08:12:58 PM »
Still need Elite and Lielow's submissions.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2014, 10:20:06 PM »
I just remembered earlier I didn't send. But I did now

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2014, 08:53:32 AM »
To Far Away Times :metal

I have to come out of my lurk-mode to say that I am pleasantly surprised to see this song in a survivor  :metal One of my favorite games/soundtracks of all time  :biggrin:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2014, 09:03:57 AM »
Still need Elite and Lielow's submissions.

Just sent mine.
Squ

Offline Lucien

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2014, 09:51:39 PM »
Got all the submissions, results should be around the weekend.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2014, 07:29:31 PM »
:bump: