Author Topic: Senecadawg's Roulette (Final Results Posted)  (Read 39325 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Senecadawg's Roulette (version 1.38 Res)
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2014, 07:35:34 PM »
If I do a round every 4-5 days (about how long this one took), then about 32-35 days
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2014, 07:38:18 PM »
I think he meant the results.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2014, 07:48:06 PM »
I'll wrap this round up tomorrow morning. But for now, everyone can go ahead and send for the next round if they want. It is another open round, after which the 4 lowest scores (combined from both rounds) will be asked to leave the house. We'll then proceed with the final 8 in 6-8 rounds, depending on how quickly or slowly it is moving.

Banned artists:
The Ocean
Circle Takes the Square
Alek Darson
Janes Addiction
Vanishing Point
League of Lights
Spiral Architect
Elliott Smith
The Magnificent
Summoning
Shostakovich

Elite The Ocean- Hadopelagic II: Let Them Believe
Two songs from The Ocean this round, and overall my favorite band sent. I'll definitely be checking out this album, thanks to you two. With that being said, I was a little bit underwhelmed by this song after hearing Into the Uncanny. It's a good song, make no mistake, but I feel like it gets less done in its 9+ minutes than it could. Not the best bang for buck ratio. Part of the problem may be that I need more time to digest it, given its longer length. 10-15 listens later and I'm still not sure whether or not it's clicked. Tedious is too harsh of a word, but it does a decent job of approximating my issues with the song. Still, the instrumentation is interesting, the vocals are really good (particularly the clean), and its generally good sonically. I reward you with 6 points.

Dr. DTVT Vanishing Point- Embodiment
My initial thought on this one was that it sounded like generic progressive metal, and that's something I'm going to generally stand by. However, I tend to enjoy most generic progressive metal regardless of how generic it may be. The highlight of the song for me was the vocals. The chorus is also really catchy, which I appreciated. However, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the mixing. I couldn't help feeling that the drums felt a little overpowering in the mix. Obviously I'm no drummer, and I have no way of possibly knowing, but it is something that caught my attention. Still, it was one of a couple songs that got stuck in my head, from this round, and I look forward to checking out more of their stuff in due time. I reward you with 6 points.

Jingle.Boy League of Lights- I'm Alive
Female vocals were a nice change up; good call on that. She's got a nice voice too. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of the vocal delivery. The vocal melodies just don't really do much of anything for me. And that's a shame, because I tend to like almost everything else about this song, particularly the relatively-minimalist instrumentation and the fact that it makes me bob my head like a little disco queen. Still, I ultimately worry that this will be a slightly forgettable song, which is frustrating because it seems to have all the right pieces. With that being said, I am compelled to check out more of their stuff. I reward you with 6 points.

black_floyd Spiral Architect- Insect
Wow, this is a strange one. I've practically had this one on repeat since you sent to to me, which should bode well for you. I found it to be interesting, which should also bode well for you. The way the vocals seemingly glide, and occasionally soar, over what sounds like an insect dancing, is also very intriguing. The bass work is really interesting. In fact, just about everything about this song is interesting. Still, it all feels very alien, and as a result has very little emotional resonance in me. Very interesting song, but no lasting impression. I reward you with 6 points.

And updated standings thus far:
Shadow Ninja 7
Dark Castle 6.5
lonestar 6.5
Zantera 6
Elite 6
Dr. DTVT 6
Jingle.boy 6
black_floyd 6

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2014, 07:49:57 PM »
I think he meant the results.

That makes more sense. I meant to wrap it up today, but got really busy this afternoon. I will have the final bit posted tomorrow morning. Maybe even later tonight, depending on potential social activities. Also, I don't expect I will do this every time. I just wanted to get started on it this morning but didn't have enough time to get it all out in one sitting.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Senecadawg's Roulette (version 1.43 Result)
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2014, 08:18:46 PM »
Doc, you try the new VP yet?  Pretty solid imo.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2014, 08:32:07 PM »
It's not released yet, and unless it is in the pack of stuff Nick sent me for review I won't have it until it is released.  I'm an honest injun.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2014, 09:52:27 PM »
It's not released yet, and unless it is in the pack of stuff Nick sent me for review I won't have it until it is released.  I'm an honest injun.

Um... yes it is.  It was released this week.

Anyway, I'll take a 6 with the song I sent.  Gonna wait to see where I stand, to see if I feel like taking a risk or not.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2014, 12:05:57 AM »
It's up on spotify. That's legit enough for me.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2014, 12:22:19 AM »
I believe the Australian/European release date was February 21st. If someone from North America bought digitally, imported it, or bought from a store that imported it, they could have it well before March 4th.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2014, 07:29:08 AM »
iTunes Canada store has it too.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2014, 10:22:07 AM »
lol itunes

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2014, 10:30:20 AM »
Finally…

LieLowTheWantedMan  Elliott Smith- Alameda
Shortest song of the round and, frankly, one of my least favorites too. It's sitting on the line between wouldn't listen to it again if other options were available and add to my 'check out' list. Let me explain… It feels like solid background music. He's got a nice voice, but its hardly gripping. Musically its nice, better than most in fact, but still hardly gripping. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's a boring song, but it doesn't quite get me going like a lot of the other sends this round. One thing that it has going for it is that it has relatively high lows (no single aspect about this song deserves serious critique when looked at independently). Unfortunately the highs are also relatively low. It's one of my most played songs from this round, after I got the initial careful listens out of the way, because it's great study music. Not music to study, or even listen to carefully, but music to study (or do almost anything else) with. I reward you 5.5 points.

bl5150 The Magnificent- Bullets
A lot of the things that I just said about LieLow's send could be repeated here, only I like this one a little bit less. Vanishing Point felt like generic progressive metal, and this one feels like very generic AOR. Journey comes to mind, in terms of comparisons. Great vocalist, but relatively uninteresting musically. In fact, one of my favorite contemporary vocalists. Still, this is what I imagine Circus Maximus would sound like if you took away everything that makes it interesting. The guitar solo is alright, but nothing to get excited about. The lyrics are a little cheesy for my tastes. And the chorus, while very hooky, is repeated to death. Still it's a song that I consider good whilst listening to it, it's just not something I find myself drawn back to. Thus, I reward you with 5 points.

Adace Summoning- Flammifer
I wish, for your sake, that If These Trees Could Talk hadn't been on my banned artists list, so that you could have come away with higher results. This second choice didn't do much of anything for me, I'm sorry to say. In fact, apart from the flutes (don't know for sure if those were programmed), I don't have many positive things to say about this song. It really comes down to my most common issue when trying to find new black metal bands to listen to: production. Nearly all of it sounds like it was recorded using the Photo Booth app on my computer, and this does too. The drums sound programmed, the vocals sound distant, the synth work sounds fraudulent at best. I personally like really atmospheric black metal (Agalloch comes to mind, although they aren't strictly speaking black metal), and part of that atmosphere comes in the production. And that's what's holding this one back. I reward you with 4 points.

Lucien Shostakovich- Symphony No. 5, Finale
Right off the bat, you're unfortunately in last place now. No beating around the bush… this is definitely not my cup of tea. In fact, it does an excellent job of highlighting many things I dislike about classical music. It seems lacking in emotion (apart from maybe anxiety), it's mostly played too quickly for my liking, and it sounds very dated. It's also too long for its own good. Sorry, none of this is what you were hoping to hear. It took some balls to send this song, and I appreciate the risk, but I don't enjoy the music. One of the reasons I want to delay the elimination until after this next round is because I think you can do better/deserve another chance to prove your worth. Same goes for the two gentlemen above you. For now though, I punish you with 3 points.

First Round Results:
Shadow Ninja 7

Dark Castle 6.5
lonestar 6.5

Zantera 6
Elite 6
Dr. DTVT 6
Jingle.boy 6
black_floyd 6

LieLowTheWantedMan 5.5

bl5150 5     
Adace 4
Lucien 3

For those of you sitting in the middle, be careful with what you send. Just one really good send and any of the bottom four could easily jump you. Taking a risk and being relatively successful likely puts you in better standing than wimping out and sending an average song that you expect I will like, given that the bottom crawlers will likely take those risks this round.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 04:40:17 PM by senecadawg2 »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2014, 10:37:41 AM »
What's round two going to be? I can get that sent out now.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2014, 11:10:26 AM »
Open again

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Re: Sentecadawg's Roulette (version 1.43 Result) get it lol
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2014, 11:15:03 AM »
Sent.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2014, 12:51:56 PM »
Glad I didn't send The Magnificent.  I had considered it at some point, but now I can scratch that off.

Will ponder and send tomorrow morning most likely.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2014, 02:01:26 PM »
Cool. I have 3 so far, and will start listening to them once more than half are in.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2014, 04:13:54 PM »
I'll have to think about what to send.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2014, 05:05:04 PM »
Glad I didn't send The Magnificent.  I had considered it at some point, but now I can scratch that off.

Will ponder and send tomorrow morning most likely.

Well I achieved what I wanted , sorta..................a prog metal singer he likes and a band  that sounds a bit like one on the "do not send" list (Journey).  What I didn't predict was that Journey would be considered just generic AOR  :D 

Back to the drawing board.

Sent a new one.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:49:10 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2014, 06:01:45 PM »
It's worth mentioning that not all of the bands in that list are bands that I like. Some of them I don't like, but have decided that I've listened to enough of it and want to move on. Journey is one of those (not including a couple of their earliest song, which I love).

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2014, 07:12:34 PM »
Great...  :\
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline adace

« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2014, 09:47:43 PM »
Oh well, I knew I was taking a risk with that one but I'm happy to have at least tried. Does this mean I'm eliminated or can I send something for the next round?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »
Well, now I basically have to melt this guy's face off.. How to do, how to do...

:justjen
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2014, 10:29:12 PM »
Slug Bait. Always works for me. :neverusethis:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2014, 10:31:21 PM »
Well, now I basically have to melt this guy's face off.. How to do, how to do...

:justjen

Hope that helps :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2014, 10:40:20 PM »
Oh well, I knew I was taking a risk with that one but I'm happy to have at least tried. Does this mean I'm eliminated or can I send something for the next round?

You can still send a song for round 2. He's making cuts after combining the scores of the first two rounds.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2014, 12:51:23 AM »
Sent

Offline adace

« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2014, 01:26:38 AM »

You can still send a song for round 2. He's making cuts after combining the scores of the first two rounds.
Cool, thanks.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2014, 03:33:11 AM »
Song sent. I really hope you'll like it. :)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2014, 06:47:20 AM »
7/12, time to dig in!

Well, now I basically have to melt this guy's face off..

You've got the right idea  :tup

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2014, 11:25:15 AM »
I forgot, was Guile's theme on the forbidden list?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2014, 11:35:07 AM »
Sentski

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2014, 11:44:21 AM »

Go for it  :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2014, 02:05:42 PM »

Go for it  :lol

It's not what you think, but it's going to be awesome if b_f sends it (he showed it to me before)