Author Topic: The Gentleman's Top 50 DT Songs Thread 1.5 V. Number 1 revealed.  (Read 11117 times)

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
Re: The Gentleman's Top 50 DT Songs Thread 1.5 V. The kiss is a bite.
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2014, 05:22:35 PM »
[00:18:09] The Afterman: from here on in
[00:18:15] The Afterman: every post is controversial
[00:20:14] The Afterman: 25, 23, 20, 19, 18, 16, 14, 12, 11, 9, 8, 6, 5, 3 and 2
[00:20:30] The Afterman: those are the ones that'll get people anger
[00:20:50] The Afterman: ...
[00:20:56] The Afterman: Which is the majority
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2014, 08:17:57 PM »
The mirror is awesome, BTS is pretty good, and metropolis is waaaay too high

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2014, 03:08:21 AM »
Metropolis is PERFECTLY placed. That's exactly about where I would put it.
BTS and Mirror are awesome. Great update overall.  :tup

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2014, 07:09:09 AM »
damn it guys you're supposed to say it's too low especially with what comes after it
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »
damn it guys you're supposed to say it's too low especially with what comes after it

If we are SUPPOSED to say it's too low then it seems like YOU think it is too low and put it there just for the sake of controversy.  :neverusethis:

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2014, 09:56:49 AM »
No I just had predicitions of what parts get the most hate and metropolis was one of them.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2014, 04:49:13 PM »
Nope, Metropolis is fine where it is for me also, it is one of DT's trademarks, but I think they've done even better since. Your other picks, like JLMB above ACOS were more controversial :lol. And I fail to see what's so special about Beneath The Surface.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2014, 01:05:47 PM »
No I just had predicitions of what parts get the most hate and metropolis was one of them.

kekekekeke
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »
Thos 3 songs are perfectly placed. No complaints, by now.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2014, 10:13:09 PM »
Lost my writeups, gonna redo them but..

26. Wait For Sleep- Images & Words
Standing by the window, Eyes upon the moon, Hoping that the memory, will leave his spirit soon

MOORE. PIANO. STOP IT. LYRICS. STOP THAT. Wait For Sleep is a lead in song IMO, but it's a damn good one. With those Moore lyrics and LaBrie perfect with his singing, this song stands out quite a lot to me, but with the missing of the rest of the band, it just doesn't stand out as much as the next one. To those going to say "What about the live arrangement on Live in Tokyo?", I don't really like it that much. It seems to.. remove some of the finer taste of the song. Like a fine wine mixed in with a McDonalds meal. It's good, it's just not that fine anymore.

25. Anna Lee- Falling Into Infinity
You don't wanna breathe the air you breathe, You don't know how you'll live a life alone

DEREK. YOU TOO? COME ON GUYS, THIS ISN'T FAIR, STOP USING THE PIANO AND MAKING PIANO BASED SONGS I LOVE. But then, why is this one above Wait for Sleep? Clearly any song on Images & Words should be above FII? Well, unfortunantly, this is more a band song. Everyone is involved, everyone has a part and their moments to shine on this piece. Plus, I just prefer Derek to Moore. I don't know, it's the way his piano sounds, especially in this compared to Wait For Sleep. This feels like a rockin' tune that I wanna drive to, Wait For Sleep is a grand wine you enjoy on occasion but drinking it every day would probably make you hate it. Speaking of Wine..

24. The Count Of Tuscany- Black Clouds And Silver Linings
I, I wanna stay alive!, Everything about this place just doesn’t feel right.

Alright, let's get it out of the room first. Yes, the lyrics are cheesy, but damn it man, me and cheese in songs are brothers at this point. But this is the best song(and thus meaning this is the highest Black Clouds & Silver Linings track) off the album it comes from but why? Is it the aggressive approach to a extra-ordinarily threatening situation from the author's eyes? Is it how it has the serenity moment of acceptence death? Is it the confusion that he's still alive by the end of the song? Is it just become I love a good written story in the song with great musical themes and thought put into it? All of the above. It's

23. Eve- Non Album stuff
*INCREDIBLE MUSIC*
All I can simply say about this piece is go hunt it out. Go listen. I don't have to explain why it's here, why it should always be in the top 50 list after you've listened to it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:01:34 PM by GentlemanofDread »

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2014, 08:40:52 AM »
WFS is perfectly placed.
Anna Lee is just boring.
TCOT is too low.
Eve never clicked, but I see why some people would like it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2014, 08:38:35 PM »
The Bitter Gentleman is way too high.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2014, 01:08:39 AM »
Ah, Anna Lee. I remember one time I was blasting FII on The Good Speakers, my housemate wandered in and we started singing it at full volume. Love that song so hard.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2014, 11:01:54 PM »
Done the write up. Next update later today.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
Re: The Gentleman's Top 50 DT Songs Thread 1.5 V. Eve
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2014, 12:50:39 PM »
22. The Dark Eternal Night- Systematic Chaos
No one dared to, Speak of the terrible danger, The hideous ancient warnings, Forged in the void of night

When Systematic Chaos was taking it's sweet ass time trying to click with me, there was one song that I heard and always loved and it was The Dark Eternal Night. That guitar riff, that keyboard, the bass, the drum, the singing, the backing vocals. It's the only time I've really really loved those growlie vocals, because it actually fits into the theme of the song, of the terrible monster coming to attack the town. Why wouldn't it be that aggressive? The instrumental section, in the middle, man. The riffs, the piano, the just too good to believe headbanging goodness of the world, and then, that end section. The improv continuum solo, just YES. YES. YES. It's a great end to the song, just yes.

21. Take The Time- Images and Words
I close my eyes, And feel the water rise around, me, Drown the bead of time

WOAH HOLD IT NOW WAIT A MINUTE COME ON. Fun track. Just, from the start to the end, it's fun, but there's a real reason I love this track. If there's a song that embodies all the different styles that John Myung can play, Take The Time most certainly is one of the best examples you could give someone. Really, the only discredit I could give this song is that I don't have the desire to listen to it a lot, and I'm not too sure why. Might be that triggered snare really showing off here. I don't know.

20. Status Seeker- When Dream and Day Unite
Are you sanctified in your, judgment of me? All that I deserve is what you were, unable to see
Yep. Good Song. Cool Song. Dominici performs so well on this track, everyone's on par, and probably should be one of the tracks that people love from this album, but I believe it's pretty split? Oh well, nothing I can do about that. Bass sounds gorgeous, the lyrics for this song sound pretty mature. I just wished this was the song on Score instead of Afterlife, really. But I can't win there either. Damn it. (Teaser: Not the highest placed WDADU song. You're gonna hate me.)

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2014, 12:58:14 PM »
NURNURNURR NANANANANANANANANURNURNURR

I like.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2014, 01:16:45 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT STATUS SEEKER

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2014, 01:26:55 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT STATUS SEEKER THE DARK ETERNAL NIGHT
FTFM.

I really like Status Seeker, although I wouldn't rank it nearly that high.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2014, 02:37:26 PM »
TDEN -  :metal :metal :metal
TTT -  :justjen
Status Seeker -  :facepalm:

This sums up my thoughts.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2014, 03:28:49 PM »
SS1 (It's the first SS so) is probably one of my favourite workout songs too.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2014, 06:17:52 AM »
Maybe because I read all these negative opinions, but I actually liked Status Seeker, not Top 50 liked, but it was a dated but cool song. TDEN too high for me, Take The Time is ok placed since I have no idea where I'd put it I'll just give you a :tup.

Never liked Anna Lee too much, and knowing the songs that were left out to make room for this makes me hate the song somehow. Putting it above WFS is criminal. The Count is ok but too high for me, and Eve is perfectly placed.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2014, 11:47:24 AM »
If you're saying The Count is too high for you, you're going to be surprised by the rest of my list I think. The next update is probably the least controversial of the lot. Probably.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2014, 12:25:20 PM »
Actually too high sounds a little exagerated, but it's higher than I would put it. I have no problem seeing it there anyway, if I think more carefully it's not that far from mine.

Seeing how you're list is going, I don't think you would surprise me all that much, I can already see we have our fair share of different tastes :D. And after Status Seeker at 20 I pretty much expect You Not Me at the first position :lol.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2014, 12:30:25 PM »
Woah, woah, I have some class. It would be You Or Me at 1 if anything ;)

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2014, 02:04:14 PM »
And time for probably the least controversial updates

19. Misunderstood- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
"Playing a lion being led to a cage, I turn from surreal to seclusion, From love to disdain, From belief to delusion, From a thief to a beggar, From a god to God save me"
One of my favourite guitar solos is in this song. Oh, and one of my all time favourite DT lyrical lines (see above). Love how it's delivered by LaBrie, and I'm always singing along to it. The funky noise section towards the end of the song is also pretty great, and it's just one of those songs that build and build and build.. to climax, to end and to breakdown. Fantastic. Just, yes.

18. Disappear- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
So I'm moving on, I'll never forget, As you lay there and watched me, Accepting the end, I knew you were scared, You were strong I was trying, I gave you my hand, I said it's okay letting go time to leave here, And I'll carry on, The best that I can without you here beside me

Any questions about why this is placed here should probably go listen to the song and then come back with the answer as to why it's here. It's moving, the last verse just sends shivers up my arms and is a perfect end to disc 1 of SDOIT. Hell, it would of been a perfect end to SDOIT or any album in general. It gives you real sense of finality, a song that describes the end of a relationship, the end of a life. To end an album on this would have been just perfect.

17. Lifting Shadows off A Dream- Awake
Moved by desire and fear, Breaking delicate wings
Bass Lead? Check. Myung Lyrics? Check. General awesome track? Check. This is a song I love listening to on repeat. Not only is it a nice song in general, but it's an evening song, when the sun is starting to set, you're sat outside in the front garden with a can of pepsi max and this song playing on your headphones as you just take a nice breather from the shit the world gives you. Evening tune is what I call this song and some others (I have a playlist of such evening songs and LSoaD is my favourite) so you know what? Take my advice. Nice evening, get this song on some headphones and just watch the sun go down..

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2014, 03:06:27 PM »
Misunderstood is perfectly placed. I don't listen to it that much but whenever I do, I am completely amazed by how amazing the song is.
Disappear and LSOAD are kinda in the meh-department for me. I like the ideas but they are just a bit boring.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2014, 04:56:10 PM »
Great update. This is pretty close to where I put all three :tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2014, 06:34:49 PM »
Great update. This is pretty close to where I put all three :tup
This. Also, you might be the first guy I know that loves the guitar solo :metal.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2014, 08:42:22 PM »
Great update.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2014, 08:55:28 PM »
Disappear does end 6DOIT as far as I'm concerned since I'm never inclined to listen to the title track.
Perhaps that's why I enjoy it so much! Aside from it being ~perfect~ and all.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2014, 12:57:39 PM »
Also, you might be the first guy I know that loves the guitar solo :metal.

Probably, but I can't help it. It's something just so weird about it, something so strange that I have to listen to it.

Disappear does end 6DOIT as far as I'm concerned since I'm never inclined to listen to the title track.
Perhaps that's why I enjoy it so much! Aside from it being ~perfect~ and all.
You know, I'm the same way, I barely listen to the title track as a whole. Maybe I should start considering Disappear as the end of SDOIT and I'll be great.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2014, 01:01:17 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves the guitar solo in Misunderstood. :metal It's so weird and freaky and it's lots of fun while pretty heavy at the same time. I wouldn't have Lifting Shadows this high but the other two are fantastic.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2014, 01:08:51 PM »
IIRC the solo sounds different because JP first played it, then reversed it and learned that version and once he played the reversed version he reversed it back.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2014, 02:59:35 PM »
16. Peruvian Skies- Falling Into Infinity
Terror by night, Liar by day, Telling her secrets, Won't take them away

In what must have been late 2008 or early 2009, I was sitting at my computer, typing away in an MSN (Rest in Peace) conversation with a gentleman you guys know as Sketchy. I was telling him about how I needed music to get into, and he recommended this band Dream Theater. He gave me two songs. The first was A Change of Seasons, which was impressive, but the second was a track off Falling Into Infinity, by the name of Peruvian Skies and oh! This was a gorgeous first listen, and I can remember what I first loved about the track, the keys. It was all that really struck me first time round, and the second, those keys became a part of a great performance from the band. I think I had it on repeat for two hours that day and it's the song I credit for getting me into Dream Theater.

Over the years, I've noted what I like about it more, and it's just simply that it's a balanced performance from everyone. It's still on my wish list to see this song performed live (This and Home), but hey, may never happen. Be a shame. One thing I love about this (and really the whole of Falling Into Infinity) is how great and balanced it sounds production wise.

15. Learning To Live- Images and Words
Once you're touched you stand alone, To face the bitter fight
Let's get this out of the way. I like the F#. But it's nowhere near my favourite part of the song, rather, the opening 4-5 minutes is. Just some rad rocking out, Moore's best peformance with that keyboard, one of my favourite lyric sets, the only real let down is that bloody drum sound! Who thought it was good?! MP doesn't, and it really affects a great song here in my opinion. But the rest of it just uplifts it, almost to a point where I just don't care. Where I want to sing and dance and rock the hell out to this incredible tune.. But there are 14 songs I'd prefer to listen to, including..

14. New Millennium- Falling Into Infinity
The lies ten feet tall, Have broken my fall,Welcome you all new millennium
And how did you, another anti-industry song, make it onto this album?! Everything that the industry and record label would hate is in this song! Long instrumental opening, long instrumental break, non standard vocal patterns, the heavy tone, a different instrument being used.. Man, oh man. This song is a great tune when you gotta work out, just keeps going and going. From the bass to the keys to the guitar to the drums to the vocals, this song is just balanced perfectly for my liking and it helps it sound so good..

Offline jakepriest

Re: The Gentleman's Top 50 DT Songs Thread 1.5 V. 16-14
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2014, 03:07:49 PM »
Two awesome songs totally deserving top-20 and New Millenium. The track just never clicked. I find it kind of boring.