Author Topic: The Gentleman's Top 50 DT Songs Thread 1.5 V. Number 1 revealed.  (Read 11170 times)

Offline jakepriest

Re: The Gentleman's Top 50 DT Songs Thread 1.5 V. The kiss is a bite.
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2014, 01:18:33 PM »
And teaser for the next post: It features the last time a Twelve Step Suite is in my top 50 list.

And that makes me very sad.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2014, 02:33:33 PM »
Just Let Me Breathe isn't in my top 50 but I love the song, it's so groovy.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2014, 12:25:17 AM »
(I'll add a write up for them later, but here are the next three songs)

39. The Root of All Evil- Octavarium

Dirty enough for me to lustLeaving nothing left to trust
Man, I love the opening on this song. I've always been a headphones kind of guy and well, just hearing it switch from left to right, right to left, that kind of stuff just makes me smile happily to myself. It's why I'm a Pink Floyd song. Octavarium is always an album I don't like, not because it's bad, but because I don't think there's enough of their own sound in there, but this song is just enough of influence and their own sound. Myung's bass always eluded me as to what it's doing, but that's not a bad point. One of my favorite Portnoy drumming performances.

38. Outcry- A Dramatic Turn of Events
As I welcome death, I hear the battle cry, Bullets fall like fire, Raining from the sky
Outcry is pretty cool. Mike Mangini's performance was a highlight to me, as was JR's keys. But really, why I love Outcry is the lyrics and really, the subject matter. They deal with the Arab Spring and I followed that along for so long (still am, interesting to see fallout and stuff). Plus it helps it's a well constructed song that I misheard one of the lyrics FOREVER (and still do.) It's "Rise Up, Be Counted", which I thought for the longest time was "Rise Zombie, Counted." Oops.

37. The Glass Prison- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Chasing a long lost friend, I no longer can control, Just waiting for this hopelessness to end
WOW. SUCH LOW. MUCH SHOCK. Why so low? I'll deal with that right now. It could do with just the teeeniest bit of fat trimming towards the end, but that might just be me. What I love is that guitar. Just, mmmf. SOIDT is my favourite album and most of the reason is JP's guitar and the sounds he gets from it and this song is only one perfect example at all. Lyrically, the strongest of the 12SS in my opinion, and well, LaBrie does quite the performance on this song.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 04:47:13 AM by GentlemanofDread »
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2014, 12:34:55 AM »
Keep deliverin' bro.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2014, 07:31:33 AM »
TROA is great and well placed.  :tup
So is Outcry.  :tup
TGP is way too low.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 04:47:42 AM »
Okay, added the write up for the songs. Sorry they weren't there before.
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 07:25:25 AM »
great stuff!
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 07:41:12 AM »

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 07:49:13 AM »
Yes, spoilers, I'm actually Echoes by Pink Floyd.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 07:51:02 AM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 09:26:32 AM »
Yes, spoilers, I'm actually Echoes by Pink Floyd.

Oh, I assumed Arnold Layne. My mistake.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 11:58:53 PM »
No but he did See Emily Play.

(GoD, it is on).
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 03:29:06 AM »
Following. Regarding Outcry's lyrics, I couldn't disagree more  :lol The reason why Outcry is one of my least favourite songs from ADTOE is the cringeworthy lyrics. I mean, the subject is very good, but I think the lyrics themselves are just bad and that's one of the main reasons I don't like it as much as most of the rest on ADTOE.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 04:38:55 AM »
I think most people will disagree with me, but DT lyrics can be cringeworthy as hell to some people and they will be better than most bands I listened to for 14, 15 years of my life. Cringey means so little to me, and I think that the Meddle of okay lyrics and great subject matter wins out.

(Sketchy, we are so on I will make you have on in your Epitah that you got outreferenced By Gentleman of Dread.)

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2014, 12:43:53 PM »
I'm afraid unless I learn some discipline, all you'll find there will be confusion.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2014, 02:42:42 PM »
Holy mother of low-on-the-list of songs! This is turning out to be quite the interesting top 50 :tup
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2014, 09:38:25 AM »
I guess that since I have free time I'll leave a comment
BtV - worst DT12 song  :tup
BV - still never heard it  :tup
BitS - a bit too low but won't really complain about seeing it
OaMoT - most insufferable dominici performance  :tup
JLMB - fun song, always want to rate it higher but the lyrics irk me
F - used to dislike this more than I do, still one of the weaker SC songs though
TRoAE - as underrated here as in everyone else's opinion  :sadpanda:
O - yeah this is a good spot for it. also I have no interest in what a song is literally about as long as it sounds nice, usually.
TGP - doge does not approve of this being so low. also the fat trimming should be in the middle section not the end

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2014, 06:45:34 AM »
I think most people should remember the positions of A Change of Seasons and The Glass Prison for most upcoming updates.  ;D

INCLUDING THIS ONE!

36. Vacant- Train of Thought
She's losing control, What can I do, her vacant eyes, Black holes, Am I losing you

Not much to write about other than this a beautiful song, and the performance by LaBrie is so moving that I get a little tearyeyed hearing it sometimes. One of the best performances by JR too, no wankery, just some lovely piano. It's quite nice to hear and just relax to it. The Bass of course, another highlight and the cello is pretty sweet. DT should add another song this dark and mellow to the repitore.

35. The Spirit Carries On-Metropolis Pt 2
Move on, be brave, Don't weep at my grave, Because I am no longer here, But please never let, Your memory of me disappear
What an awesome track. Just, this is track is the closest I feel DT ever got to what I used to listen to in terms of music, and even then, it's radically different. The piano, the way it builds, that guitar solo, the lyrical content, all different to the stuff I used to listen to. Why this low though? Overexposure, I guess. It's no longer something special to me, and sometimes I think it's one of those songs I just put on to have playing in the background.

34. Light Fuse and Get Away- WDADU
I've tried to wash from memory, feelings of betrayal and the incidents, that plague me since I lost my sense, of innocence
Fun song, fun to sing along to and just rock out to. Love the intro, love Dominci's performance and that fast paced vocal section is just yes! I take pride in practicing that section and not taking a breath. Just an all round fun song that is hurt again by the mixing of WDADU I feel.

33. Blind Faith- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
I've painted my own Mona Lisa, She's fixed everything, Now I'm spoiled beyond my wildest dreams
Man, this song is just strange. After the hard rocking head banging goodness that was Glass Prison, this comes along to almost sit us down and tell us that not every song has to be that heavy to be good, and man, yet again, good solid performance by the band and I feel that yet again, maybe this song could do with a tad bit of trimming in places, but I'm not sure where that would be. Every piece of this song sounds gorgeous and so where I can place where GP needs trimming and I can't this song, Blind Faith beats The Glass Prison in my opinion.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2014, 07:14:51 AM »
<3 Vacant so much. :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2014, 08:09:56 AM »
LFaGA doesn't belong there, but otherwise a fine update.  :tup
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2014, 08:20:50 AM »
A pretty good position for the songs except for LFaGA. Can't agree on Blind Faith being better than TGP tho.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2014, 10:39:26 AM »
I think most people are gonna hate LFaGA being this high.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
I think most people are gonna hate LFaGA being this high.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2014, 12:51:10 PM »
Yeah, I'm not too big on LFAGA being this high, but all your other picks are fantastic.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2014, 02:23:10 PM »
<3 The Light Fuse synth solo

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2014, 11:17:01 AM »
32. The Dance Of Eternity- Metropolis Part 2
*TIME SIGNATURE CHANGES INTENSIFY*
Over 128 time signature changes. Yeah, if you want a song to show how incredibly talented DT are, you generally think this one. Featuring solos by everyone, lots of rocking out moments, and well, it's a crazy song. So crazy that you're not too sure where it's going to go, but it's a cool little piece that, whilst good on it's own, could possibly have done with a replacement song. It doesn't add anything to the story and rather just as a musical showcase piece.

31. A Fortune In Lies- When Dream and Day Unite
A trifling euphoria, was such an untimely religion
Awesome drum entry? Check. Dominici vocals? Check. Awesome guitar work? Check. Audible Bass? Check. Moore Keyboards? Check. Getting the idea I like this album yet? And this song is so bloody great, just a solid opening track for start to finish. Nothing too spectacular, here, just something solid from point A to point B.

30. One Last Time- Metropolis Part 2
Feeling as cold as outside, The walls disappear, To some woman who`s screaming, A man pleads forgiveness, His words I cannot hear
*WRITE UP LATER!*

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2014, 12:35:33 PM »
TDOE is great, no complaints there.
A Fortune In Lies is the best song off the album but still doesn't deserve top 50. The vocals are horrible.
One Last Time is a great song but again, way too many better songs to put in a top 50.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2014, 04:51:30 PM »
TDOE is great, no complaints there.
A Fortune In Lies is the best song off the album but still doesn't deserve top 50. The vocals are horrible.
One Last Time is a great song but again, way too many better songs to put in a top 50.
And we disagree again, completely :lol. I can't see why people go crazy with TDOE, is just lots of wankery. On the other hand, AFIL is ok at this place, but OLT is bloodly low D:

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2014, 05:10:55 PM »
I like how One Last Time is a song people are disagreeing on here..

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2014, 05:12:53 PM »
I love One Last Time. AFIL is okay, and I only like TDOE because its fun as hell to drum. I think its a pretty bad song.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2014, 02:27:38 PM »
AFIL <3<3

Sod it. All of those <3<3<3

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2014, 05:07:48 PM »
29. Metropolis Part 1- Images and Words
Metropolis watches and thoughtfully smiles, She's taken you to your home
I think this might be this controversial in it's placement this.. low, but honestly, I can't tell you why it's so low. It was one of the first tracks I heard by Dream Theater, and man oh man, I fell in love. From the build up, to the vocals, to the instrumental section to the bass solo to the way that keyboard just sounds and that grand finale, I immediately went to listen to this song again.. and again.. But it never really.. hooked hooked me. I loved it yeah, and I was completely blown away by the performance on Score, but it just.. I don't know. Talking of one thing I love and that always kept me a DT Fan, the bass solo. I love John Myung, he's my favourite DT member and he always plays perfectly to me, and the solo (in the solo) is one of my favourite moments in a DT Song.

28. Beneath The Surface- A Dramatic Turn of Events
You would never say a word, Kept me reaching in the dark, Always something to conceal
TALKING OF MOMENTS I LOVE IN A DT SONG, THAT MOOG SOLO. Oh man, first time listening to it, I was expecting a normal keyboard solo and then BAM, MOOG. It just made the song that much better, oh oh so much better. The song is a pretty hard hitting song that hits me on a very personal level that I won't go into detail, and yet again, on a recent DT album, James LaBrie just performs so bloody well and it just makes that song a bit more awesome.

27. The Mirror- Awake
Let's stare the problem right in the eye, It's plagued me from coast to coast
Again, this song has hit me on a personal level, and that's majorly the reason why it's hear. It feels so very personal to me, but let's talk about that disgustingly awesome riff that's in this song? Headbanging is a joy when you're listening to that and I've got some strange looks in public because I just can't help myself when it comes to this song. It was awesome hearing it live,  and I was headbanging then and singing along loudly and it was great having James point in my direction as I was doing it. Dunno why. Just intense and awesome and I want to hear it live again. The drumming, pretty good, keys, well, it's Moore. Bass, it's Myung. They're gonna be awesome with those two and this song is no exception to that rule.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2014, 05:08:40 PM »
I WASTED MY EARLER POST.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2014, 05:10:04 PM »

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2014, 05:17:45 PM »

...Metropolis is too low. :neverusethis:

Nice picks.