Author Topic: The Gentleman's Top 50 DT Songs Thread 1.5 V. Number 1 revealed.  (Read 11116 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: The Gentleman's Top 50 DT Songs Thread 1.5 V. 16-14
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2014, 06:12:08 PM »
Two awesome songs totally deserving top-20 and New Millenium. The track just never clicked. I find it kind of boring.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2014, 12:37:58 PM »
Fantastic updates!! The six of them! :tup I actually prefer Dissapear as a sunset song, or The Way It Used To Be depending on the mood, but Lifting Shadows should be great too, I'll give it a try. I believe Peruvian Skies was played last tour, at least it was at the High Voltage 2011(look it up, it's a very good performance), but I think they didn't kept it for long unfortunately :(. Very well placed Learning To Live and you are the first person to like New Millenium better that I do, and that's great because it's a song that don't deserve the hate it often gets.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2014, 12:52:58 PM »
Glad to see someone else loves New Millennium!  :D

For jakepriest & ThatOneGuy2112, what don't you like about New Millennium?  I'm curious.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »
Dat riff in NM, along with the bwoing of the stick. <3
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2014, 09:18:17 PM »
I feel the first two minutes are so are actually pretty good but then the verse and chorus sections feel so weak afterwards. It's by no means a bad song, just one that I don't find too exciting in the way it's intended to be. It certainly has its moments though, but they aren't enough to really outweigh the rest of the song, which I don't adore all too much. The most I can give the song credit for is being solid and I feel that FII has both much worse and much better to offer, so NM always sat kinda "there" to me, which is why #14 is too high a spot for it IMO. If you enjoy it though, more power to you.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2014, 01:24:23 AM »
Good to see NM here, it's a great song!

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2014, 09:38:51 AM »
13. Stream of Consciousness- Train of Thought
*BADASS MUSIC*

I didn't know it when I first got into DT, but man, do I love me some instrumentals. Really, there's not much I can write other than that hard rockin' sound, and just a great band effort. It was my favourite instrumental for quite a while, but it was pipped by the next track for me recentally. Yeah, I'm just gonna be as short with both of these here because, they're instrumentals. Well, this one feels more like a cohesive ten minute feeling track but..

12. Enigma Machine- Dream Theater

.. this feels like a journey, like a story being told with no words. Left to your own imagination what exactly is being done, but man, everyone is on point on this song. It's concise, it's kept together, no solo is too wankery, and man oh man, it's a quality track. These are short write ups today, heading out soon but rather have something up than not.
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2014, 12:14:45 PM »
SoC is great. No complains about seeing it this high.
EM is probably the second weakest track on an overall weak album, I don't like it at all.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2014, 04:12:02 PM »
SOC's placement is all to deserved. :metal

I've warmed up to EM but don't hold it in a higher regard than SOC when it comes to DT instrumentals.

Offline Onno

« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2014, 04:34:06 PM »
Oh shit, Enigma Machine? Wow. That's only slightly better than Raw Dog, which is my least favourite DT instrumental. SoC, on the other hand, is my favourite DT instrumental. Ouch  :lol

Offline Invisible

« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2014, 04:54:13 PM »
Have to agree with the three posters before me, love SoC, a little too long but overall a great intrumental, but I don't like EM, it grew a little on me, but I still find it among the weakest they've done.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2014, 06:53:07 PM »
Screw it SoC, I prefer EM 7 days a week.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2014, 03:34:40 PM »
11. Illumination Theory- Dream Theater
A soldier for his country, A junkie for the high

Going to do something different here. I'm going to quote erwinrafael's write up from Illumination Theory vs The Count of Tuscany and give my own thoughts on the song after.

To me Illumination Theory works as a whole thing.  There are even recurring themes to bind it together.

Set up themes
Life is painful
Life can be okay
The truth is painful
But if you embrace that pain, you will see the light

The music and lyrics both tell a story.

I commented on this in the Illumination Theory appreciation thread, so I will just transfer here a modified version of what I said since we are talking about disjointedness. IT is very cohesive for me because of the symmetry of the song.

Section 1: Paradox of the Black Light. Slow, majestic, a bit heavy so it is not yet "illuminated". This is an overture to the un-illuminated sections of the song.

Section 2: The heavy riffing section. At first this seems to be just a wanky instrumental but it actually acts as a bridge between Section 1 and Section 3. This serves an important narrative function once we get to the later sections. Note also that it is mostly a standard rocking beat, with some time signature changes only at the end upon approaching the Live, Die, Kill section.

Section 3: Live, Die Kill. The section poses the questions: What are you willing to live for? to die for? to kill for? It is asking for "an answer that begs to be found". The section has two subsections: the first has lyrics playing to a main riff, the second is the instrumental section that has plenty of time signature changes.

Section 4: Embracing Circle, ambient section. If Live, Die, Kill referred to a more down-to-earth plane of existence, to grounded reality, the Embracing Circle is situated in a transcendental plane. The ambient section is formless and lengthy, which signifies that the questions posed in Live, Die, Kill remain unanswered even in a moment of transcendence and it remains quite unanswered for a long time. The length of the section is important because it serves the narrative function of indicating that illumination or enlightenment does not come easily.

BREAK in the Narrative: Now we start to mirror the previous sections.

Section 5: Embracing Circle, orchestral section. This mirrors Section 4. We are still in the transcendental plane, but unlike Section 4, illumination starts to creep in slowly with the build up of the orchestral part. Illumination climaxes with a moment of enlightenment, signified by the orchestral version of the intro melody. It sort of mirrors Section 1 as well. The end of the orchestral section is an overture to the "illuminated" section of the song, The Pursuit of Truth. It will not serve its proper narrative function if it is placed at the start, because the more heavy-sounding music of Paradox of the Black Light  better fits as an introduction to the "un-illuminated" Live, Die and Kill section. The two overtures share the same melody.

Section 6. The Pursuit of Truth. This mirrors Section 3. The section starts with reverse swells, which signals a return from the transcendental plane to grounded reality. After the moment of enlightenment in The Embracing Circle, the song now has answers to the questions posed in Live, Die, Kill.  What are mothers willing to live, die and kill for? Their children. Husbands are willing to live, die and kill for their wives. Martyrs are willing to live die and kill for the kingdom. And so on and so forth. The Pursuit of Truth answers the questions of Live, Die, Kill. Still mirroring Section 3, the section also has two subsections: the first has lyrics playing to a main riff, the second is the instrumental section that has plenty of time signature changes.

Section 7: The heavy riffing section. This mirrors Section 2. It follows the same structure and uses the same riff! This serves as a bridge between Section 6 and Section 8. While Section 2 bridged the Paradox to the questions, Section 7 bridged the answers to the Paradox. Like Section 2, this section has a lot of wanky instrumentals and plays to a standard rocking beat, with a change in the tempo at the end approaching the Surrender, Trust and Passion section.

Section 8. Surrender, Trust and Passion. And now we have come full circle. This mirrors Section 1. Section 8 is also slow and majestic, but unlike Section 1, it is uplifting because illumination has already been achieved. Section 1 is titled the Paradox of the Black Light, and the lyrics in Section 8 spell out the paradox. And if I overanalyze the lyrics, even the lyrics here are symmetrical. LOL

Introduce with a paradox:
"To really feel the joy in life
You must suffer through the pain"

Surrender: Lyrics refer to illumination by referencing light.
"When you surrender to the light
You can face the darkest days"

Trust: Middle section, still in keeping the visuality of the Illumination Theory, we refer to opening one's eyes.
"If you open up your eyes
And you put your trust in love
On those cold and endless nights
You will never be alone"

Passion: Mirror the Surrender subsection. Lyrics refer to illumination by referencing bright.
"Passion glows within your heart
Like a furnace burning bright"

Mirror the intro. End with a paradox:
"Until you struggle through the dark
You'll never know that you're alive"

And as one more bit of analysis, which may be stretching a bit. Paradox of the Black Light started with a crescendo drum roll. Surrender, Trust and Passion ends with a decrescendo drum roll.

----------
This is how I viewed IT. Which is why I don't think I will really understand how it can be described as disjointed. It is very cohesive not just lyrically but structurally as well. The disjoint that some people feel, I think, is because the narrative of the song is really about transitioning from dark to light but ending up in a paradox where light is in the darkness. There is a deliberate disjointedness, from grounded to transcendent, from fast to slow parts. The transitions serve a narrative function.

And really, who doesn't love how it sounds? Who doesn't love that drum beat, that bass, the breather in the middle and the kick back in, the way LaBrie just nails this song from top to bottom? The solos, too. I've listened to this song so many times and I'm not sick of it yet, I've not found things I dislike about it.. It's just great.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2014, 04:16:42 PM »
I have found something to dislike about it. The ambient/orchestral section.   :justjen
After getting a version where it goes straight from Live, Die, Kill into the "Mothers for their children" part I actually like listening to the song a lot more.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2014, 04:32:38 PM »
I have found something to dislike about it. The ambient/orchestral section.   :justjen
After getting a version where it goes straight from Live, Die, Kill into the "Mothers for their children" part I actually like listening to the song a lot more.

No way. The Embracing Circle is brilliant. It offers that breather between the much heavier sections and just in general sounds so beautiful and serene. I couldn't honestly imagine listening to IT without it.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2014, 01:55:37 AM »
Write up coming later, but number 10 is..

10. Finally Free- Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From A Memory
In a pathway out of view, They thought no one knew, Then came a shot out of the night

HOLY. Scenes is a great album but there are two stand out songs for me. This is one of them, the climax of the album, of the story, and it's just so great.  The way it starts, the piano during the first lyrical section, the lone piano accompanying one of the best James LaBrie performances on a song, singing as Miracle/Edward post the murder, but then it bleeds into a flashback, into Victoria and Julian's excitement which is good.. but then the goosebumps begin. The Murder Scene, the best drumming fills by MP for me occurs in this song, during the murder. Just, oh wow.  And then, One Last Time, and then just the way it starts to go through all the way to the bleed out. Obviously, you can tell by a line this isn't the highest placed Scenes song, but damn it, ask me in two years, maybe this might be. Maybe. Live, it was so very very good in London, like most songs, but this just made me listen to it on repeat on the train journey from hell (it was 6 odd hours).

What do you guys think the last 9 songs will be?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 02:46:01 PM by GentlemanofDread »

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2014, 02:46:17 PM »
Added Write up for #10

Offline Onno

Re: The Gentleman's Top 50 DT Songs Thread 1.5 V. Top 10, nearly free.
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2014, 09:02:52 AM »
Yay, Finally Free! My favourite song from SFAM. I agree with MP's fills during the murder scene being very good and fitting but I prefer the drum solo at the end. That is amazing drumming.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2014, 09:06:54 AM »
The ending ranks up there with the best of DT's moments. You have MP going all out and one of JP's greatest riffs out there. FF might be my favorite off of SFAM, which is really saying something about how awesome it is.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2014, 06:10:48 AM »
Yay, Finally Free! My favourite song from SFAM. I agree with MP's fills during the murder scene being very good and fitting but I prefer the drum solo at the end. That is amazing drumming.
But that goes without saying so :D

9. The Ones That Help To Set The Sun- When Dream and Day Unite
Watching my window I was led like a
child
As the roadway lamplights
misguided my mind through the night
a shadow of limits

I think if you'd been following son_ov_hades top 50 thread and saw my reaction to where he'd placed this song, then I think you could of guessed that this song would have been making an appearance. Some of you are probably mortified that this song made the list, and the rest of you are mortified it's this high! But why is it this high? Let's start with that intro. Footsteps. Rain. Door open. Door slam. Window wipers, MOORE KEYBOARD, BAND. (No Seatbelt click though, Mr Unsafe driver!) The start gets you in the mood for some mysterious journey, the unknown coming your way, and it becomes a more band experience and around two and a half minutes in, the wipers come back in,  become louder and louder.. THEN BAM. We're rocking out.

Whilst the song doesn't have the mysterious imagery that the intro has, the lyrics by Petrucci do. Some kind of journey made with a partner at least, and it's just rocking through out. The guitars, especially, are a highlight on this song with that bloomin' guitar solo just being one of my favourites. It might sound like I'm repeating myself, but damn, everyone on this song is perfect as well, ESPECIALLY Dominici. This is certainly one of his more comfortable sounding performances, but not his best. That's coming up later!

8. Lines In The Sand- Falling Into Infinity
We fabricate our demons
Invite them into our homes
Have supper with the aliens
And fight the war alone
We conjure up our skeletons
Enlist the den of thieves
Frightened from our closets
Then sewn upon our sleeves

Aand speaking of intros that I love, say hello to Lines In The Sand. Sherinan keyboards with Portnoy drumming taking the center stage for the first moments, and then EVERYTHING I love about Falling Into Infinity kicks in. THE MIXING. THE DRUMS. THE BASS. THE KEYS. THE GUITAR. THE WAY IT ALL BLENDS INTO THE BEST SOUP. The keys and guitar are my favourite things about this song, but that's before we get to the lyrical performance of James LaBrie. This is more fitting to his voice than a fair amount of content post-throat death, and you can just hear how comfortable he is singing it. He gives it his all and it's just perfect. The guest vocals are amazing too, Doug Pinnick of King's X fame does a fantastic job.

Then the second half of the song happens. Everything dims for a moment, and then the guitar comes at you. The second half is an amazing moment in music full stop, it comes for you, to hold you close and tell you that every piece of shit music doesn't matter any more, you've got Lines In The Sand and it loves you.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2014, 10:09:10 AM »
Can't agree with either of these. Far from top 50 material for me.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2014, 02:42:59 PM »
Lines In The Sand :tup I see it highly unnoticed! Great to see it this high.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2014, 01:40:30 PM »
I've always loved The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun (dat bass harmonic-ing) and Lines In The Sand is just wonderful.

Both very good choices Mr. Of Dread.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #128 on: April 09, 2014, 05:28:23 PM »
Can't agree with either of these. Far from top 50 material for me.
THIS.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2014, 11:13:33 PM »
Two amazing songs! :tup

Offline Invisible

« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2014, 11:37:01 AM »
I have to re-listen to the impossible acronym song, but Lines In The Sand is great, too low BTW :biggrin:. And you chose one of the best parts of the song on the lyrics, a truly amazing song.

And Finally Free and Illumination Theory are well placed too! Finally Free is a musical masterpiece, and IT is awesome.

As for your top 7, it's a little difficult without a recap, but here are my two cents:

- Space Dye Vest
- Trial of Tears (this HAS to be here or we're not friends :P)
- Hell's Kitchen
- Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu
- Six Degrees
- Octavarium
- 6:00

No particular order. I also considered Surrender To Reason, The Bigger Picture and Through Her Eyes, but I'm going with these seven.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2014, 11:50:43 AM »
50. A Change Of Seasons
49. Prophets of War- Systematic Chaos
48. The Looking Glass- Dream Theater
47. The Shattered Fortress- Black Clouds and Silver Linings
46. In The Name of God- Train of Thought
45. Behind The Veil- Dream Theater
44. Bombay Vindaloo- Live At The Marquee
43. Bridges In The Sky- A Dramatic Turn of Events
42. Only A Matter of Time- When Dream and Day Unite
41. Just Let Me Breathe- Falling Into Infinity
40. Forsaken- Systematic Chaos
39. The Root of All Evil- Octavarium
38. Outcry- A Dramatic Turn of Events
37. The Glass Prison- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
36. Vacant- Train of Thought
35. The Spirit Carries On-Metropolis Pt 2
34. Light Fuse and Get Away- WDADU
33. Blind Faith- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
32. The Dance Of Eternity- Metropolis Part 2
31. A Fortune In Lies- When Dream and Day Unite
30. One Last Time- Metropolis Part 2
29. Metropolis Part 1- Images and Words
28. Beneath The Surface- A Dramatic Turn of Events
27. The Mirror- Awake
26. Wait For Sleep- Images & Words
25. Anna Lee- Falling Into Infinity
24. The Count Of Tuscany- Black Clouds And Silver Linings
23. Eve- Non Album stuff
22. The Dark Eternal Night- Systematic Chaos
21. Take The Time- Images and Words
20. Status Seeker- When Dream and Day Unite
19. Misunderstood- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
18. Disappear- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
17. Lifting Shadows off A Dream- Awake
16. Peruvian Skies- Falling Into Infinity
15. Learning To Live- Images and Words
14. New Millennium- Falling Into Infinity
13. Stream of Consciousness- Train of Thought
12. Enigma Machine- Dream Theater
11. Illumination Theory- Dream Theater
10. Finally Free- Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From A Memory
9. The Ones That Help To Set The Sun- When Dream and Day Unite
8. Lines In The Sand- Falling Into Infinity

Recap of the full list! Surprised to see dislike for Lines In The Sand, though.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2014, 11:59:48 AM »
Phew! Now I know I'm probably off :lol

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2014, 12:28:15 PM »
I mean, you're right on a couple so  :P

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2014, 12:14:13 PM »
7. Breaking All Illusions- A Dramatic Turn Of Events
Emerald thoughts flow
Through my consciousness
Drawn to curses left behind
Test of will the threshold to one's faith
Starts a fire in the mind

Hello, my friend. I've listened to you time and time again since your release. You, like the rest of ADOTE, have continued to remind me how great Dream Theater are in a whole band situation where everyone can shine freely. The bass, the drums, the keys, the guitar, the LaBrie performance, the lyrics. This is everything I could look for a DT song, and just hearing this live was a great thing, especially the guitar solo! Such a great solo and JP just slays it when he's playing it live! But, this isn't the highest rated ADOTE song! So what could be left??

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2014, 08:12:49 PM »
 :tup

Definitely one of DT's best to offer.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2014, 02:30:08 AM »
I mean, it was always going to be a great song by the time 3:00 of the song rolled around, but everything that rolls after it is just yes. But I'm curious, what ADOTE song could be left after BAI?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2014, 02:36:31 AM »
But I'm curious, what ADOTE song could be left after BAI?
BMUBMD, of course.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2014, 02:38:30 AM »
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: *hits itself* How could I forget this masterpiece??? Worthy pick! That solo is one of JP greatest and the return of Myung pen is always welcome!

I'm probably off again, but since I don't see Far From Heaven on the list I'm going to go with that!

If it's On The Backs Of Angels or Lost Not Forgotten I'll walk away immediately.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2014, 03:03:23 AM »
Here's hoping it's TITL.

If it's LNF, well, too bad.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.