Author Topic: The Gentleman's Top 50 DT Songs Thread 1.5 V. Number 1 revealed.  (Read 11174 times)

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
The Gentleman's Top 50 DT Songs Thread 1.5 V. Number 1 revealed.
« on: February 16, 2014, 05:07:25 PM »
>You are at a crossroads in the middle of a forest. You are unsure of which way to turn. Perhaps this signpost will tell you wheOH GOD DAMN IT IT'S A TOP 50 LIST. Faded and torn, you are unsure what it means when it starts to.. glow. Pages torn and faded begin to repair. Grow. Multiply. The glow becomes too bright..

Sup. Back. Screw laptop problems. Let's get some shenanigans going. Some controversy. Some hate, some love, some pepsi, let's chill for a while, k?

You should probably avoid this thread if you don't want setlist spoilers because I'll be talking about certain songs.

50. A Change Of Seasons
Come, let us adore him, abuse and then ignore him..
"Man, a return of this guy's top DT 50 song list, and I remember last time. He put ACOS 50th but hopefully this time he's smarter and not messing it up. Let's click.. A CHANGE OF SEASONS? NUMBER 50?! AGAIN?! SERIOUSLY?! WHERE'S MY PITCHFORK? GANG, BURN HIM! HE'S DONE THIS TWICE NOW."
Breathe in. Breathe out. In. Out. In. Out.
Individual parts, I love this song. I love the starting notes, I love the reprise, I love the lyrics and how each individual part has it's own feel. But there's one problem I have with it, and it's a good chunk of the later part of the song, from The Darkest of Winters to the start of Crimson Sunset. Darkest of Winters feels misplaced, it doesn't fit into Carpe Diem or Another World, it feels like it should come at the end of Another World. And Another World/The Inevitable Summer just feel like they drag slightly after The Darkest of Winters. It's a shame that I've felt this way, because this was my first ever DT Song I got the chance to listen to. I suspect actually, it might only just have managed to make it onto this list because of my nostalgia for it. (51 is no longer POW). Things I do like about this is damn it Sherinan what do you do to your keyboards? Damn it man, you should of been on more albums.

49. Prophets of War- Systematic Chaos
We implicate, incriminate, exacerbate, too much at stake, Our fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, sons and daughters, Forced, perpetuating their ideals, a mindless act to stay the course
"Ugh, right, he just did a quick C+P of his ACOS thing, changed some things, what did he mean by Prophets of War was no long49?! IT'S 49?! ABOVE ACOS! MURDER HIM!"
Yeah, yeah, I know. Prophets of War. Worst song from SC. Above ACOS. Above some other fan favourites too. The name is a pun, the song is nothing spectacular lyrically and musically, and yet.. There's just something about it that's.. good to me. It could be the way it sounds, it could be the effects, the choir, the drumming, the guitar work, the keys, just.. something that makes me put it on and rock the hell out to it. You know why it's this low? Because I can't place what I like about it.

48. The Looking Glass- Dream Theater
You are caught up in your gravity, Glorifying madness, Singing your own praise
Seriously, This is a good song, good guitar solo, good bass (Love me some bass), good drum work and good keys. If there's an issue with it I can think of, it's the lyrics are a weird kind of blend of being harsh and avoiding the real blame of the subject in hand. JLB performs this well vocally, and live, this song kicks ASS. Labrie is a god at singing this, the entire band on form and it shows just a nice little tune that fits nicely anywhere. It might have got a lot more praise had it not been on DT12, I think.

So now then. We're at an interesting moment. Predictions? Thoughts? No need to worry about me vanishing due to laptop issues as I have BACKUPS EVERYWHERE. ALL THE BACKUPS.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:40:56 PM by GentlemanofDread »
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Outcrier

Re: The Gentleman's Top 50 DT Songs Thread 1.5 V Oh man
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 06:28:48 PM »
50. A Change Of Seasons
49. Prophets of War- Systematic Chaos
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 06:29:25 PM »
PoW isn't the worst song on SC at all (I'd probably put it ahead of Forsaken and TDEN) but it's nothing special and really muse-y which is the big criticism it gets.
TLG is also just kind of meh. It's a DT12 song and I don't like DT12 as a whole which could be part of that.
And ACoS should be higher but apparently a lot of people don't care for it so whatever, still a damn amazing song in my book.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 11:10:38 PM »
This looks like it'll be fun to read and pretty controversial :neverusethis:

ACOS is too damn low. I don't think it's the most amazing thing ever, but I do love it. It does feel a little out of order at times though, and some parts drag it down a bit. That's why it's not as high as others put it.

I like Prophets of War. I don't love it by any means, but it's a good song. I classify it where i'd put BMU, BMD. It's fun, but nothing special. Never Enough is the better one of the 2 songs heavily inspired by Muse.

TLG is a real fun, lighthearted song. I can't wait to see it live as I'm sure it's better when live, but it's not amazing. If I redid my top 50 it might make it, but then again there's a LOT of songs I left off that could've made it. In the middle of the pack compared to the rest of their songs.

InB4 Raw Dog as #1.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 02:40:32 AM »
Oh hell no will Raw Dog be #1. Spoilers, it's not on my top 50.
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 05:51:22 AM »
ACOS is a tad bit low. I wouldn't put it above 30 since after Another World it just drags for no reason.
I don't mind seeing PoW in a top 50.
TLG is my least favourite song from DT12. It was probably the worst part of seeing them live this year.  :lol

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 06:04:28 AM »
Well, as I said, Another World feels misplaced, and that probably helps making it drag just a bit more. (It is my least favourite section of ACOS)

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 08:00:35 AM »
Another World is the best part though.  ???

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 09:50:29 AM »
50. A Change Of Seasons
48. The Looking Glass - DT12
Fixed.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 12:59:46 PM »
47. The Shattered Fortress- Black Clouds and Silver Linings
Look in the mirror, What do you see? The shattered fortress, That once bound me
Man, oh man, Black Clouds was the first DT Album I actually brought and. Well. It was a bit shit, wasn't it? Well, I mean, just some songs didn't connect with me and some did. This did. The final song in the AA Suite, and when I first listened to it, it was good, but as time passed, and my knowledge of the AA Suite increased, I noticed all the little references, all the familar licks of the music, the lyrics, just.. it appealed to my love for stories and tales with a sense of continuity between them. The final section is probably my favourite part of a song on Black Clouds. I also got to see this live and man oh man, this was a phenomal song live, and certainly caught a few people off guard that it was played.

46. In The Name of God- Train of Thought
Justifying violence, Citing from the Holy Book, Teaching hatred, In the name of God
I'll start off with the negative thing: Man this could of done with some better mixing I feel. Just feels like some things are a tad quiet compared to some certain parts. But man, I love a good song about the bad parts of religion. Makes me feel tingly inside. Also, not LaBrie's strongest vocal performance, but I feel performances from Myung and Petrucci more than make this song a rock out piece of awesomness. Certainly the bit where the bass takes lead, my favourite bit, is something that just shows how DT can go from rocking out to something a bit mellow, a bit more on the bass lead side. Just, awesome.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 01:12:30 PM »
Both are WAY too low.  :tdwn
Also ToT has some of the best mixing, so nah, ITNOG doesn't need better mixing.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 01:26:14 PM »
^_^
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 02:41:31 PM »
eggnog is way too low :<
TSF I don't mind seeing here, it's an alright enough song that just doesn't do anything particularly special.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 06:05:20 PM »
I could see TSF reasonably just grazing the top 50. I do enjoy the closing section quite a bit as well and it works as a fine closure to the AA suite. ITNOG on other hand, is far too low.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 10:56:28 PM »
The bass and drum groove behind the entire instrumental section and the part where the main riff kicks back in after that with the pinched harmonic is reason enough for this song to be in at least the top 20. That fucking groove is just  :metal :metal

TSF was around this spot on my list. I really like it, but it doesn't deserve any higher than mid 40's. Some of the lyrics and vocal phrases are a bit meh to me, but other than that it closes the Suite very well. I'm just happy I get to see at least SOME of The Glass Prison live at the end of this song in April  :lol though this is gonna be an amazing song for a concert, I can tell.

Also, if TGP isn't on this list, meaning TSF is higher, we can't be friends.  :biggrin:

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 11:24:03 PM »
In The Name of Petrucci is bloodly low. Any reasons for that (Besides your thoughts on the mix)?

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 11:30:20 PM »
I'm not too sure. There's something about the mix that just puts me off, and plus I usually like to sing along with the song and I can never remember what the words are because LaBrie sounds illegible in some points.
And I guess it drags a bit in the big instrumental section? I can't think why it's so low, just.. it is.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 03:18:39 AM »
LaBrie mispronouces most of the lyrics he sings.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 08:03:31 PM »
LaBrie mispronouces most of the lyrics he sings.
Mission: Innocence Faded

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 03:13:37 AM »
45. Behind The Veil- Dream Theater
What kind of monster would come to feast, When the devil shows his face?
Man, you wouldn't believe what a nice little entry piece does to make me love a song, and this is no exception. Sure, it may have so very little to do with the actual song that comes after it, but the juxtaposition is so lovely. Like a normal life broken apart into the chaotic realm that the song's subject matter almost seems to be about. LaBrie, like most of DT12, is on fire for this song and I love the little vocal effects. The guitar solo on this is pure FUCK YEAH goodness, and that's what I like from a guitar solo. But then, like most of DT12, there's restraint on it.. almost too much for my liking. This song could do with a little added few moments of wackiness from everyone on the instruments, but I suppose only five songs can be perfect..

44. Bombay Vindaloo- Live At The Marquee
*Instruments*
This will be a small write up about how awesome Kevin Moore is. So. Awesome. And this instrumentally just solidifies how awesome he was. The little notes, the little additions to what the rest of the band is doing, it's just, yes. I was quite surprised to see people haven't heard this song and you know what? Go out of your way to do so because it's so very very good. Not my favorite instrumental, but you'll see what that is and I'll be explaining why that's my favorite later.

43. Bridges In The Sky- A Dramatic Turn of Events
And at last the time has come, To unite again as one, To the power of the Earth I'm calling
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. What's that? Throat singing? And ADOTE didn't do enough for you for being a bit experimental? Well, can't say why that is, because man, songs like this, long epic pieces with those mystical lyrics I love so much from a song, with those keys, that guitar and most importantly, those bass licks. Mm. So. Great. Honestly, like most people, the drums are what let this song down but I can't fault it too much. Really, what lets this song down for me is that the throat singing isn't used more. Would have been so great to have a little bit in the middle of the song would the throat singing to kick back in and then BAM. Last vocal section, coming right in with instruments, would have been so good..

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 03:43:01 AM »
Behind the Veil is an okay song. The solo is great but I just hate the vocal effects.
Never heard and probably never going to hear Bombay Vindaloo.
BITS is way too low. I've never heard anyone say that drums let the song down. The drums are pretty okay in the song, if a bit simple during the chorus. The instrumental part has amazing drumming.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 05:20:58 AM »
Seeing TSF live brought to me a love for the song that I never had... perfect position for that one!
The rest not so much  :-\
Because Mike is better than Mike

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 10:54:20 AM »
Behind the Veil is an okay song. The solo is great but I just hate the vocal effects.
This. Although I like BITS, I find it extremely overrated. It doesn't have anything special IMO.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 12:03:36 PM »
This. Although I like BITS, I find it extremely overrated. It doesn't have anything special IMO.

I find the chorus to be of the best DT has ever done. The instrumental section is also amazing.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 03:20:45 PM »
 :corn :corn :corn

Keep on delivering, Mr. Of Dread.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 10:36:40 PM »

I find the chorus to be of the best DT has ever done.
IMO, the only amazing part of the chorus is the "Shaman take my hand" line. The rest is quite forgettable, sorry :lol

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2014, 06:58:58 AM »
42. Only A Matter of Time- When Dream and Day Unite
A suited man smiled said:, "It's just a matter of time, You can have the world at your feet by tomorrow, just sign on this line."
When Dream and Day Unite, man, such an album that gets what I feel is undeserving hate. Love it. I love nearly every song on this album and this is not the one exception. This is an excellent piece of music that gets missed off simply because the mixing is not the best in the world. Lyrically, it's a Kevin Moore song, it's strong, the keys are awesome, the drumming is top notch. Dominici is a good vocalist that I love to hear and the only bad thing I'd have to say about this song (other than the mixing) is perhaps could shave off the last 30 seconds?

41. Just Let Me Breathe- Falling Into Infinity
A daily dose of eMpTyV, Will flush your mind right down the drain
From the worst sounding album to one of the best sounding albums, there's no doubting this is one of the stronger sounding DT albums production wise, and what song better to be on a (from a review I saw on this album), "A too involved music industry made album" than a song being possibly the most critical DT have ever been on a someone or groups of someone? This is a rocking tune, guitars and keyboard mixed just so finely to give you that urge to drop what you're doing and rock the hell out to it. One of my favourite drumming performances by Portnoy as well. A fine, fine tune that deserves a place on anyone's Top 50 list.

40. Forsaken- Systematic Chaos
Out of and ivory mist, I felt a stinging kiss, And saw a crimson stain on her lips
The piano rules. The guitar rules. The vocal performance rules. What doesn't rule about this song? Perhaps the subject matter, which like the rest of Systematic Chaos, took a while (so LONG) for me to get that I often said I ranked this album the lowest. But then, when listening to this song... it hit me. It's a journey, of tales told past and present for the Priest, and this is one that I feel is present. It's a song I long wished I'd seen live, just to rock the hell out to it and sing along. Cool piece. I should do these writing things a tad better..

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2014, 07:03:03 AM »
I see that this may be appropriate:

https://img.pandawhale.com/post-25067-And-Here-We-Go-Joker-gif-Imgur-x71M.gif

But yeah, this update. I like it. Another (please).

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
Re: The Gentleman's Top 50 DT Songs Thread 1.5 V. The kiss is a bite.
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2014, 07:13:35 AM »
Feel like you might wanna safe that gif for later.. ;D

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2014, 07:49:09 AM »
Won't comment on WDADU songs.
Just Let Me Breathe might be my least favourite DT song. The vocal melodies are just "WTF" and Derek's keyboard sound is as annoying as ever.
Forsaken is more of a 60-70 range song imo. But it's still a nice. I like to play it on drums either way.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2014, 09:18:46 AM »
I don't care for WDADU songs besides Afterlife and A Fortune in Lies. JLB almost made my top 50, it's so cool and groovy.
Let's see how this list turns out.

Offline 425

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2014, 10:27:50 AM »
Only a Matter of Time is too low, but a great choice nonetheless. James Let Me Brie and Forsaken are too high, but I can actually understand those choices.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2014, 11:32:31 AM »
Feel like you might wanna safe that gif for later.. ;D

Yeah. I feel that I may have used it too early too.

...bugger.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2014, 12:04:45 PM »
I can assure everyone WDADU features a fair bit in this list :D

And teaser for the next post: It features the last time a Twelve Step Suite is in my top 50 list.

Offline 425

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2014, 12:15:39 PM »
TGP is either too low or way too low, then.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time