Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 131018 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #560 on: July 27, 2015, 03:58:52 AM »
1. Colors
2. Coma Ecliptic
3. Alaska
4. The Great Misdirect
5. Parallax 2
6. Parallax 1

Haven't heard TSC or the s/t yet.

But yeah, I really really love CE. A lot better than I thought it would be on my first listen. The Ectopic Stroll and Famine Wolf are my favourites at the moment.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #561 on: July 27, 2015, 05:51:04 AM »
After a couple more listens, my ranking changed:

1. The Ectopic Stroll
2. King Redeem/Queen Serene
3. Famine Wolf
4. Turn On The Darkness
5. Memory Palace/Option Oblivion (can't listen to them apart)
6. Rapid Calm
7. The Coma Machine

---
1. Dim Ignition
2. Life In Velvet
3. Node

Still, it's incredibly freaking consistent, and every song is top notch. Wow.  :metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #562 on: July 27, 2015, 09:21:33 AM »
Album Rankings:

1. The Parallax ( I & II )
2. Colors
3. Coma Ecliptic
4. The Great Misdirect
5. Alaska

6. The Silent Circus
7. Self Titled

New song rankings for Coma Ecliptic:

1. King Redeem/Queen Serene
2. Dim Ignition/Famine Wolf
3. Turn on the Darkness
4. Memory Palace/Option Oblivion
5. The Coma Machine
6. The Ectopic Stroll
7. Rapid Calm
8. Node
9. Life in Velvet

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #563 on: July 27, 2015, 12:15:37 PM »
I could never really get into Parallax 2. It's just too much, too busy. The songs all range from good to awesome, but the package just leaves me exhausted by the time Telos is over.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #564 on: July 27, 2015, 02:16:41 PM »
Two days until the concert! Very excited to see the new material live!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #565 on: July 27, 2015, 02:50:24 PM »
Man, I was just about to say that Famine Wolf will probably be killer live, but then I remembered that you could say that about every fucking track on the album.

So yeah. Enjoy the show.

Stupid people in the states.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #566 on: July 27, 2015, 05:34:27 PM »
I could never really get into Parallax 2. It's just too much, too busy. The songs all range from good to awesome, but the package just leaves me exhausted by the time Telos is over.

Understandable. It's pretty long and it's all over the place.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #567 on: July 27, 2015, 05:44:47 PM »

Understandable. It's pretty long and it's all over the place.

I just find that to be a weird reason because that's how I felt about Colors for the longest time.   Parallax, while still being insane, is to my ears a lot more cohesive and song-oriented.......at least, when compared to Colors anyway.     As much as I have grown to LOVE Colors, I still think it sounds like 1000 awesome riffs in a blender with random track markers thrown into the mix just so you don't have to fast forward to certain spots.   I can't find "a song" in the bunch (with the exception of Veridian/White Walls).
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #568 on: July 27, 2015, 07:09:23 PM »
Colors was designed to flow together that way though, Future Sequence kinda does too tbh but I'unno
I just dunno why it never clicked for me, hopefully Coma will  :lol

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #569 on: July 27, 2015, 08:54:15 PM »
I haven't given Colors enough spins at all

But it really does just seem like a collection of "neat" and catchy riffs for ~47 minutes, with Viridian/White Walls being the only real prominent "song."
Which is probably why I'm so into CE in comparison, it isn't as crazy or complex (BTBAM does both very well imo) but it's packed with catchiness and strong melodies and real moments of impactful music.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #570 on: July 28, 2015, 09:41:02 AM »
I'm backwards. Seems people wanna group Memory Palace / Option Oblivion together, but I always wanna combo Option Oblivion and Life In Velvet into one track.

In other news, something's bugging me about Turn On The Darkness. Not the song itself, I can tell it's killer; I just can't figure out why the song doesn't absolutely blow me away. It seems like it should. It's got all the elements. I just don't know what it is.
Here's hoping getting that off my chest jinxes me into creaming myself next spin.

Also, Future Sequence isn't exhausting. Well, maybe for the faint of heart. Shouldn't be any more exhausting than Colors or TGM though, other than being a bit longer (with mentioned Goodbye To Everything through Telos actually being much shorter than those previous albums)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #571 on: July 28, 2015, 11:37:59 AM »
The Parallax II is my favorite because I just think it has the best mix of heaviness and cleans (70/30?). Lay Your Ghosts to Rest, Extremophile Elite, Telos, and Melting City all on the same album is why I regard it so highly. Plus, the concept is very kick ass.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #572 on: July 28, 2015, 11:56:01 AM »
I really like Future Sequence but it is by far the most exhausting one to sit through, and overstays its welcome by maybe 10-15 minutes. I won't disagree with the awesomeness of Lay Your Ghosts to Rest, Extremophile Elite or Telos, but the album doesn't hold up to Colors, Coma or even TGM for me.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #573 on: July 28, 2015, 12:20:28 PM »
The issue with Parallax II is Silent Flight Parliament. Everything leading up to it is really good, but SFP is my least favorite of BTBAM's 10+ minute songs. Up to "fucking weaklings", everything is great. It then starts to drag, bottoms out with the mediocre solo section, and finds its way again in the final few minutes. The song would be much better if it were a few minutes shorter (maybe 11-12 instead of 15), which could easily be accomplished by trimming the repetitive middle sections.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #574 on: July 28, 2015, 01:26:54 PM »
Wow different strokes for different folks and all that jazz. Silent flight parliament is the perfect ending to that album for me. It's possibly my favorite song on that album as well.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #575 on: July 28, 2015, 02:36:00 PM »
I was just about to type out how awesome it is that many of the BTBAM fans I meet (and a lot here as well) are very diverse in what they favor and don't favor among the band's songs. I like most of SFP, but as I've stated a few times in here and in other threads recently, I'm beginning (and it started a while back) to have trouble getting through longer songs these days. Most of the time, and as is the case with SFP, I like certain parts or either one half of the song and the rest is kind of a chore to get through. Although Zant, we're almost in the same 'area of boredom' for SFP. Whereas you get bored around the 'fucking weaklings', I start to wane right after that in the (I think these lyrics are right..) "I still know what my mind tells you to do" piece. I love that part, but every single time I either skip to the next song after that point or just kind of daydream.

But with SFP, it's that I get bored here and there, and then I LOVE a section, and then back to daydreaming. These days, it's gotta hit me really hard for me to not lose interest in the slightest if it's longer than 7 or 8 minutes. That's a farcry from when most of my favorites were 'epics', but damn...I'm gettin' older by the second. I find especially with BTBAM, I really love their more...er...I was gonna say 'normal timed songs', but then realized that 8 minutes for most people is like "WHAT THE FUCK KIND OF SONG IS THAT!?"  :lol. I digress. I do love SFP in some parts, but it's one of the best songs to use for an example of what I mean when I love some parts and then daydream in others (Right around 10 minutes when the solo starts is when I tend to skip it).

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #576 on: July 28, 2015, 02:38:52 PM »
I remember tommy (claimed he) thought SFP/GTE reprise was better than both Swim To the Moon and (gasp!) White Walls...I'm not certain I'd disagree.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #577 on: July 28, 2015, 03:09:35 PM »
At one point I could see that completely, but the fact that recently I've begun to even find it a tiny bit difficult (here and there, certain passages or solos) to get through White Walls is telling in that my taste has changed...but knowing the ending is coming is worth it and usually makes the wait easier. I just love their 'build up' songs though, Swim/Moon and White Walls are probably always going to be my favorite 'epics' by the guys just because they're both so great and have their ups and downs but the one thing that unites them both is that the build up and eventual climax are both fucking amazing. I think at this point I like Swim a bit more cause of the chugging background, but White Walls has it as well just in a different way. Swim seems a bit...groovier.

Anywho, it's interesting to notice how one's opinion on music changes so drastically throughout life. Even on Coma, my least favorite song seems to be Memory Palace.

Oh and...random for the people who watch Hannibal. CONSTRUCT YOUR MEMORY PALACE!  :lol FIRST thing I thought of when I heard Hannibal say that was this song. Well...the second time, the first time Coma wasn't announced yet.

RIP DTP.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #578 on: July 28, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
Wow different strokes for different folks and all that jazz. Silent flight parliament is the perfect ending to that album for me. It's possibly my favorite song on that album as well.
Yeah, I don't agree it overstays its welcome at all, and in fact I think a lot of the album's best material is towards the end. I would say its definitely my favourite BTBAM album, though the new one is fantastic too. They're at the top of their game right now!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #579 on: July 28, 2015, 03:59:34 PM »
It's crazy, I haven't had the urge to listen to an album as often as I have with CE in, like, ever. It's well on the way of overtaking Colors as my favourite of their albums.

Famine Wolf might be my favourite song of the year so far.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #580 on: July 28, 2015, 04:15:54 PM »
Still loving Coma Ecliptic, amazing disc. Not sure if I like this one or Parallax II best though.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #581 on: July 28, 2015, 04:23:16 PM »
Yuppers.

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #582 on: July 28, 2015, 05:13:07 PM »
Coma Ecliptic is pretty good, but it doesn't even come close to The Great Misdirect for me.  :coolio

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #583 on: July 28, 2015, 09:45:06 PM »
This is what's so great about BTBAM, not everyone just agrees on one album being their best. I love the variety of preferences, allows for good discussion.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #584 on: July 28, 2015, 11:29:46 PM »
Finally having a good listen to this album. KRQR is awesome. Actually,  it's pretty good so far.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #585 on: July 28, 2015, 11:41:24 PM »
It's crazy, I haven't had the urge to listen to an album as often as I have with CE in, like, ever. It's well on the way of overtaking Colors as my favourite of their albums.

Famine Wolf might be my favourite song of the year so far.

I am so glad that finally someone loves this song as much as I do. It's so fucking amazing in so many different ways. FM and Ectopic stroll are tied; that voice that Tommy uses is so absolutely jaw dropping. It's...zany and weird and scarily funny but in a way that isn't ACTUALLY funny, it's more like "Hahaha!...ha...haha....umm...I think this guy might kill me"-funny. Really great work from Mr. Giles on this album. I love his voice, and I completely agree with the man on the whole "you don't have to growl/scream to get emotion through" (massive paraphrase). He really hit the nail on the head with that one, and for the life of me I can't remember what artist he said inspired him to do that but thank the metal gods that he heard whatever album/concert that he did to be inspired by that, cause it worked. The screams/singing is in perfect balance on this album.

This is what's so great about BTBAM, not everyone just agrees on one album being their best. I love the variety of preferences, allows for good discussion.

YES!

P.S. I also have immense love for parts of Rapid Calm. I love the tones of the synths in the background and especially at 2:00 when it gets quiet and just the keyboards and drums are playing...THE BUMPS OF GEESE...THEY ARE ON ME!!! Awesome stuff. The piano and keyboard work has been just fucking out of this world since Colors. TGM did it best, I think, and now Coma has usurped the throne.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:44:45 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #586 on: July 29, 2015, 10:32:45 AM »
Right my album ranking would be:

1. The Parallax
2. Colors
3. The Great Misdirect
4. Coma Ecliptic
5. Alaska
6. Self Titled
7. The Silent Circus

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #587 on: July 29, 2015, 11:56:07 AM »
Mine would Be

Coma Ecliptic
Colors
Parallax (including the EP)

Still,  I need to listen to the rest.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #588 on: July 29, 2015, 12:02:05 PM »
I love SFP, the "jet propulsion disengage" part is one of my top BTBAM moments. However, as a whole, Telos is the best song on PII for me. Best climax, best structure, everything I want out of a BTBAM song, really.

I'd rank them:

Colors
Coma Ecliptic
The Parallax II
(Parallax I)
The Great Misdirect
The Silent Circus
Alaksa
Between the Buried and Me

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #589 on: July 29, 2015, 12:04:15 PM »
I love SFP, the "jet propulsion disengage" part is one of my top BTBAM moments. However, as a whole, Telos is the best song on PII for me. Best climax, best structure, everything I want out of a BTBAM song, really.

I'd rank them:

Colors
Coma Ecliptic
The Parallax II
(Parallax I)
The Great Misdirect
The Silent Circus
Alaksa
Between the Buried and Me

My ranking would probably be exactly the same for me. Not 100% sure if I'd put Parallax II over TGM, they're pretty close, but I do appreciate Parallax II a lot up until the end. Swim to the Moon is definitely superior to TSP, but tracks like LYGTR, Extremophile and Telos are very strong and maybe stronger than the TGM equivalents.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #590 on: July 29, 2015, 12:05:59 PM »
Speaking of, someone should run a survivor since the new album just came out. I remember starting a survivor one time but I think I got someone else to finish it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #591 on: July 29, 2015, 12:10:26 PM »
Here's my CE ranking, from one listen.

Turn On The Darkness
Dim Ignition/Famine Wolf
Rapid Calm
King Redeem/Queen Serene
Memory Palace/Option Oblivion/Life in Velvet
Node/Coma Machine

Yes, I feel the last three songs, MP/OO/LiV, form a nice closer suite.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #592 on: July 29, 2015, 12:17:51 PM »
Speaking of, someone should run a survivor since the new album just came out. I remember starting a survivor one time but I think I got someone else to finish it.

Yes! I'm in!

RIP DTP.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #593 on: July 29, 2015, 12:46:18 PM »
I enjoy Tommys vocal styles here. It gives the concept more character, unlike some concepts sung by one singer.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #594 on: July 29, 2015, 12:48:48 PM »
Couldn't agree more. I really was worried when they announced less growls, more 'dynamic' (which usually means jack shit in my experience), etc. But it came together exactly as he said and for once I see the dynamics, the change in vocals, as a good thing and it really shows. Truly, a big step forward Mr. Giles. Everyone else has always been and continues to shine but it was just Tommy's voice that needed something new and different. For the past few BTBAM records, I've kind of been listening to Giles' solo work and thinking that he does so much more on those albums that just aren't present on BTBAM records, and now they've kind of fused and finally he's broken that ceiling. Awesome stuff!

RIP DTP.