Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 131289 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #805 on: February 09, 2018, 04:51:04 PM »
So I got Alaska a while ago and listened through it but didn't think too much of it. It's funny how BTBAM albums always take me so long to really appreciate, because I'm listening to it again now and it's fucking awesome. The soft section of Backwards Marathon is fantastic.

Also reminds me I need to listen to Coma Ecliptic again so I can start liking it too.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #806 on: February 09, 2018, 06:15:04 PM »
I actually find the way BTBAM mesh various genres like polka with deathcore metal and growled vocals and cheesy organs quite distasteful. But I like it anyway.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #807 on: February 23, 2018, 03:59:43 AM »
So, I may have been lucky enough to hear the whole of Automata.

Not really in a position to give away details, but I will say that it's really good, and that, for me at least, Condemned to the Gallows is one of the the least interesting tracks.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #808 on: February 23, 2018, 04:48:49 AM »
Do you mean "the whole of Automata" or "the whole of Automata Part 1"?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #809 on: February 23, 2018, 05:04:09 AM »
I mean what I said. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #810 on: February 23, 2018, 07:01:36 AM »
Condemned to the Gallows is an instant classic for me, so that's nice to hear.

Also wanna mention that clip they posted of the BTBAM/TDH covers (BTBAM - The Tank, TDH - Rapid Calm), they both outdid themselves, the snippets sound amazing and both covers totally sound like the bands made it very much their own version
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #811 on: February 23, 2018, 09:40:03 AM »
So will they be playing those covers live. Thatd be aaesome.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #812 on: February 23, 2018, 09:45:53 AM »
So jealous I don't get to see that tour >:(

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #813 on: February 23, 2018, 11:08:00 AM »
Fuckin' a, Ariich. The teases. You mofo.

I really can't wait to hear this. Been spinning the single on and off. Also really need to look up that TDH crossover.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #814 on: February 23, 2018, 11:15:00 AM »
Haven't heard the single or preview clips cuz, well, its BTBAM and one's spose'd to wait for the full album (though the argument can be made one could slip into an eternal coma between now and the release date, forever missing out on some unconsumed BTBAM tuenage)

I'm going to attempt something difficult with these releases.  I really don't like this model of releasing two 30 minute chunks VS a full album experience, so I'm going to try to wait until the full thing is released and listen to it in sequence, Automata 1+2. 

I've been pondering this in recent days, but I'm skeptical I'd have the strength, patience and intestinal fortitude to do it (plus the hypothetical argument laid out above bears more weight).

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #815 on: February 23, 2018, 11:16:59 AM »
Not really in a position to give away details, but I will say that it's really good, and that, for me at least, Condemned to the Gallows is one of the the least interesting tracks.
Now that's relieving, didn't really care for that song :P

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #816 on: February 23, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »
BTBAM has most often released their least interesting track as singles (or just the initial track release, if not an official single) in regards to my own tastes. It's worked out for me considering that it's a good expectation leveler.  :lol

RIP DTP.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #817 on: March 03, 2018, 12:09:43 AM »
Saw the opening night of the tour tonight and it was one of the best btbam shows I’ve ever seen, out of 7. They played 3 new songs (not gonna say which ones to avoid spoilers), and they went down live so well! It was incredible.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #818 on: March 03, 2018, 12:21:42 AM »
Very intrigued to see what the setlist is like, but nobody has updated setlist.fm just yet

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #819 on: March 03, 2018, 07:51:54 AM »
up there now.

I'm going tonight to Minneapolis (and missing a special movie screening with the wife unfortunately), but don't mind looking at the set list ahead of time.

The Dear Hunter set list from last night is also up.

I guess regardless of that, I am just hoping the sound/MIX is better for TDH than it was at First Avenue last year with Coheed.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #820 on: March 03, 2018, 08:48:49 AM »
Not only is the release day less than a week away now, the US tour seems to have started AND the album seems to have leaked, which means my social media is flooded with opinions on the new album and I'm trying so hard to resist the urge.

Set list for last night looks amazing! Love the fact they played Silent Flight as the epic closer instead of White Walls for a change. Wondering what part exactly they left out of Obfuscation since it says they only played part of it.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #821 on: March 03, 2018, 09:28:07 AM »
Not only is the release day less than a week away now, the US tour seems to have started AND the album seems to have leaked, which means my social media is flooded with opinions on the new album and I'm trying so hard to resist the urge.

Set list for last night looks amazing! Love the fact they played Silent Flight as the epic closer instead of White Walls for a change. Wondering what part exactly they left out of Obfuscation since it says they only played part of it.

Beginning with the drum/bass groove in the bridge when the guitar solo starts

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #822 on: March 03, 2018, 09:32:06 AM »
They’re also selling the Part 1 at the shows and my buddy grabbed a copy. It’s really good!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #823 on: March 03, 2018, 11:24:04 AM »
Are they selling the LP?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #824 on: March 03, 2018, 11:37:22 AM »
Are they selling the LP?

I saw people carrying vinyls, but I don't think it was Automata, coulda been from one of the other bands. I only saw the cd at the merch stand.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #825 on: March 03, 2018, 02:32:49 PM »
relatively short interview Tommy did with That Drummer Guy (aka JRundquist here on the dtf)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocO5FOLF5YE&t=120s

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #826 on: March 08, 2018, 11:55:06 AM »
Can I stay up past midnight to listen to this as soon as it releases..? Only a few hours to go to find out!

Offline Dtman2112

« Reply #827 on: March 08, 2018, 08:40:50 PM »
Trust me on this.... stay up!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #828 on: March 08, 2018, 10:26:50 PM »
I haven't posted here in quite some time due to the hectic schedule of graduate school and real-life events, but damn if this album isn't making me just yearn to discuss enthralling music once again. It's easily one of the best 35-ish minute stretches of music that BTBAM have created thus far in their career. What an engaging, captivating ride. Condemned to the Gallows was already a piece that I thought showcased some of the best of BTBAM in a short span, but the entire album just feels so enthusiastic and refreshing. If this continues into part two, consider me awestruck.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #829 on: March 09, 2018, 01:32:14 AM »
Just completed the first listen. Some thoughts:

- Condemned to the Gallows is the most consistent song of the bunch, but this could also be because I have heard it so many times and had so much time already to get to love it so much.
- The similarities to Tommy's solo albums brought both the good and bad along with it. There's some solid simpler songwriting on this, but it also has some of the most awkward melodies I've heard from the band in Millions and House Organ and, oh my god, yelloooow, yelloooow, yelloooooooooooow
- Yellow Eyes, beside that one moment, is amazing! Doesn't work as well as one cohesive piece like Condemned to the Gallows does, but there's tons of amazing ideas in that song, including sounds I've never heard from the band.
- Heavy dirty keyboard riff in House Organ is very tasty.
- Blot is not up there with songs lke White Walls and Silent Flight like some have claimed, that whole "computer, simulate" section is waaay overrated, seriously don't get what's so special about that?? The song is really good nonetheless, especially the ending which is kind of like a weaker version of the Silent Flight finale.
- Millions is definitely the worst song on the album for me right now, not sure if that just means I prefer their heavier sound, but probably just because it's the least interesting song.

I'm pretty neutral about this. Based on the single I expected this to blow all other 2018 releases out of the water, but Automata II is of the same quality I'm not even sure if it would be my AOTY right now (meaning it'd have to beat Orphaned Land).

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #830 on: March 09, 2018, 04:40:30 AM »
I'm a big fan. Just finished my second listen and starting the third right away, haha. I actually really like Millions, but Yellow Eyes is probably the highlight for me just now.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: March 09, 2018, 05:01:43 AM »
Video for the song 'Millions'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fye2KREpeJQ
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #832 on: March 09, 2018, 10:02:48 AM »
Okay, just finished my first (and probably only) listen and I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed. Most of the album just passed me by, and nothing really gripped me. It's not a bad album by any stretch of the imagination, but I wouldn't really call it a good or great album either. It's just...okay. It didn't make me want to listen to it again, it didn't make me want to claw out my ears, it didn't impact me in anyway. The only thing I can saw about this album is that it exists. I'm not the biggest fan of BtBaM in general, but this doesn't have the same kind of quality that their past releases have had. Yellow Eyes is probably the closest thing to a highlight on the album for me.

Meh. Maybe Automata II will be better.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #833 on: March 09, 2018, 11:13:20 AM »
Just finished my first listen and will need some more listens to let it soak in. I'm still wondering if it makes sense to dedicate a lot of time to it now or wait until the second half is released.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #834 on: March 09, 2018, 01:14:12 PM »
Anyone have any idea what this album is about?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #835 on: March 09, 2018, 03:24:33 PM »

The protagonist’s dreams are broadcast for entertainment by a corporation called the voice of trespass. The emotions involved are his turmoil and depression. That’s all I know.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #836 on: March 09, 2018, 04:15:32 PM »

Tommy screams vague sentence fragments, and awkwardly sings other sentence fragments that don't really fit the music.

The usual. It's nonsense.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #837 on: March 09, 2018, 10:12:22 PM »
Awesome first batch of listens. Just opened up the lyric book and am gonna read along while listening now. For anyone interested, the lyric book lists the songs as such:

Condemned - "Night One"
House - "Day Two"
Yellow - "Night Four" (Midway through the lyrics of Yellow it breaks up another section) "Morning Five"
Millions - "Before"
Gold - "INST"
Blot - "Rehearsal"

I think my favorite so far is House Organ/Yellow Eyes but it's a tough one. The album feels really concise and tightly woven but I think having Part II will flesh it out a bit more as it flew by (in a good way). I kind of like that they're releasing each part separately now, because just this small section of the album is a lot to take in, let alone if they did both parts together. I also think the next album will fill in the holes of the story and do the usual back and forth (as this album already does with "before" and jumping certain nights) and time skips. Really, really excited to see the story as a whole, this one seems pretty interesting from the small bits I could gather.

The story stuff usually takes a heavy back seat for me with any concept album though, and the music here is fantastic. But it says something that with BTBAM, I usually want to discuss it as well as the story and tend to research the story itself just to find out more. Eagerly awaiting part deuce.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 12:21:44 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #838 on: March 13, 2018, 10:44:10 PM »
It certainly leaves you wanting more, which is good for building hype, I suppose, and to get fans excited about two releases in one year, but one begs the question, why not just release a true double album? Perhaps it is my greediness longing for more, though.

I definitely feel as though "Blot" is my favorite thus far, though House Organ is absolutely thrilling as well.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #839 on: March 14, 2018, 11:13:49 AM »
I actually just now found out it's releasing in just a few months. I thought it was going to be like another year or so.  :lol Knowing that now, I'm definitely wondering what the idea was behind releasing two separate albums. I'm totally okay with it but I can see why some might not be.

RIP DTP.