Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 129206 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #735 on: April 25, 2017, 03:45:45 AM »
The song sounds so good live. They are so utterly incredible

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: April 25, 2017, 07:22:27 PM »
Turn On The Darkness from Coma Ecliptic Live: https://youtube.com/watch?v=nUprJZMPM0c

This is fucking excellent.  No brainer purchase!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #737 on: April 28, 2017, 01:51:20 PM »
My preorder didn't even ship until yesterday. I'll have to wait until late next week to get my hands on this :'(

Any one got their Bluray yet? Impressions?

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #738 on: April 28, 2017, 11:17:51 PM »
I only listened to the CD yet and I'm pretty disappointed by the mix. Paul is extremely loud and Dustie is barely audible.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #739 on: April 29, 2017, 02:00:19 AM »
I just listened to The Great Misdirect for the first time in a while, and man I forgot how great this one is. It probably has my favorite production/mix out of all their albums and Disease, Injury, Madness is one of my top favorite songs from them for sure  :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #740 on: April 29, 2017, 03:28:26 AM »
Hell yeah :metal Disease, Injury, Madness and Obfuscation are my favourite songs on the album, and both probably top 5 BTBAM material for me but it's hard to say for sure. I've personally gotten into Parallax I: Hypersleep Dialogues a lot lately, it's definitely their most consistent as all 3 songs are stellar, but I think Augment of Rebirth is my favourite there.

Haven't gotten around to the live Coma release yet, but I checked out Turn on the Darkness on their FB and it was great, gonna give the full thing a spin next week.

P.S. If any of the BTBAM fans here are interested, Tommy featured on the latest Ayreon album which features over 10 different vocalists, and he appears on a lot of the songs. It's pretty much exclusively clean vocals apart from a few layered harshes in one of the songs, but I think his clean vocals fit the music very well.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #741 on: May 16, 2017, 09:04:34 PM »
Colors 10th Anniversary Tour announced
https://www.facebook.com/BTBAMofficial/photos/a.390206403188.172404.115385878188/10155445006813189/?type=3&theater

9.21 - Philadelphia, PA - Theatre of Living Arts
9.22 - Baltimore, MD - Baltimore Soundstage
9.23 - New York, NY - Gramercy Theatre
9.24 - Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
9.26 - Pittsburgh, PA - Mr. Small’s Theatre
9.27 - Cleveland, OH - The Agora Theatre
9.28 - Pontiac, MI - Crofoot Ballroom
9.29 - Toronto, ON - Opera House
9.30 - Chicago, IL - Bottom Lounge
10.2 - Lawrence, KS - Granada Theater
10.3 - Denver, CO - Summit Music Hall
10.4 - Salt Lake City, UT - The Complex
10.6 - Santa Cruz, CA - The Catalyst
10.7 - Los Angeles, CA - El Rey Theatre
10.8 - Pomona, CA - The Glass House
10.9 - San Diego, CA - SOMA
10.10 - Phoenix, AZ - Crescent Ballroom
10.12 - Dallas, TX - Trees
10.14 - New Orleans, LA - House of Blues
10.15 - Pensacola, FL - Vinyl Music Hall
10.17 - Fort Lauderdale, FL - Culture Room
10.18 - St. Petersburg, FL - State Theatre
10.19 - Orlando, FL - The Plaza Live
10.20 - Atlanta, GA - Masquerade
10.21 - Charlotte, NC - Neighborhood Theater

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #742 on: May 16, 2017, 10:03:44 PM »
Sadly I won't be able to attend either Denver or Phoenix.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #743 on: May 16, 2017, 10:10:37 PM »
I will try to make Denver but I'm bummed at no Vegas date. I might be out there around that time again and was hoping they'd go back, it was a really nice venue. Not surprised though, the place was half empty and they were coheadlining with Devin Townsend.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Pettor

« Reply #744 on: June 30, 2017, 04:07:36 AM »
I knew about this band since Colors was talked about a lot. Sadly it was too much growl for me and even if I knew there were some cool jazzy parts here and there I never went back listening to them ... until now.

Holy shit! I ended up with Coma Ecliptic which of course was a much better introduction to the band for me. Thanks to that album I went on to The Parallax II: Future Sequence and this is what I now have fallen in love with. Holy shit!

Lay Your Ghosts to Rest is godlike. Never thought I could like a song with that much growl but it just hits perfectly at all time.

They don't sound a lot like DT but somehow they do align with them. I really love songs like The Glass Prison or This Dying Soul and the BTBAM sound somehow feels related to those. They have the same extreme progressive skill blended with damn heavy metal. I love how BTBAM can go into a perfect blast beat section change to a bass section, go jazzy and then full growl with odd time signature and it all aligns.

I somehow have a much easier time loving BTBAM than Haken, which seems to be the more obvious choice for people who love DT.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #745 on: June 30, 2017, 04:42:50 AM »
Hmm yeah BTBAM and Haken are pretty similar in that they use a lot of 'random' musical elements to keep songs interesting for a longer period of time, especially on first impression.

Speaking of The Glass Prison, there's one riff on the album "The Great Misdirect" that sounds a lot like the guitar intro of that song in Disease, Injury, Madness

I too am obsessed with Parallax II, have you checked out Parallax I (the EP)? It consists of 3 roughly 10 minute songs, and to me the first two are both some of their best songs ever, they're extremely underrated. The chorus of Specular Reflection might be their best chorus to date to be honest, and there's just so many amazing riffs spread across those 3 songs, these songs sound like a perfect mix of Parallax II and TGM.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #746 on: July 01, 2017, 07:07:30 AM »
I'm actually listening to Parallax II right now. I've been pretty sure for a while that TGM was my #1 BTBAM album but recently I'm not so sure. Parallax II is just really great.

One thing I am sure of though is that Coma Ecliptic still does very little for me  :|

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #747 on: July 01, 2017, 07:09:57 AM »
I recently warmed up to it a bit more than when it first came out. Stay positive.  :tup

Offline jammindude

« Reply #748 on: July 01, 2017, 10:29:20 AM »
Coma Ecliptic is by far the most diverse album they have ever recorded....not even close.  But if you're only into BTBAM's heavy side, it may feel like when Opeth stopped growling...so I get it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #749 on: July 01, 2017, 10:31:22 AM »
Coma Ecliptic might honestly be my favorite BTBAM album. Seeing it performed live was a magical experience.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #750 on: July 01, 2017, 10:45:11 AM »
Coma Ecliptic is by far the most diverse album they have ever recorded....not even close.
To me, Parallax sounds way more diverse than Coma Ecliptic, funny how despite not taking into account anything dealing with the quality of the music, we can think so different about the diversity of those albums. When I think about it, Parallax constantly feeds off those weird eclectic moments to stay interesting the entire time, while Coma Ecliptic utilizes them in a more organic way so it sounds more subtle. Maybe this subtle element of the latter makes me understate the diversity, but that's just how I see it.

Though I admit I absolutely love Parallax, so maybe I'm biased.

I'm actually listening to Parallax II right now. I've been pretty sure for a while that TGM was my #1 BTBAM album but recently I'm not so sure. Parallax II is just really great.
I'm in the same boat, TGM was my clear favourite but now I'm not so sure. If I were to combine it with the Parallax I EP I'm 100% sure it would be my #1, if not they're pretty much tied. I guess TGM loses on the album closer, Swim to the Moon, while great, does not live up to the standards of all the preceding songs for me.

How do people feel about the selftitled album and Silent Circus? I love the first for the most part but I don't really like Silent Circus.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #751 on: July 01, 2017, 01:53:29 PM »
Coma Ecliptic is by far the most diverse album they have ever recorded....not even close.
To me, Parallax sounds way more diverse than Coma Ecliptic, funny how despite not taking into account anything dealing with the quality of the music, we can think so different about the diversity of those albums. When I think about it, Parallax constantly feeds off those weird eclectic moments to stay interesting the entire time, while Coma Ecliptic utilizes them in a more organic way so it sounds more subtle. Maybe this subtle element of the latter makes me understate the diversity, but that's just how I see it.

Though I admit I absolutely love Parallax, so maybe I'm biased.

I just hear a much wider range of influences, and a broader incorporation of different styles.   Even though (depending on my mood) I think Parallax is the better album, I hear everything that was on Parallax *and many more new things never tried by them before* on Coma Ecliptic. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #752 on: July 02, 2017, 03:04:43 AM »
How do people feel about the selftitled album and Silent Circus? I love the first for the most part but I don't really like Silent Circus.

I've not listened to them. Still not listened to anything pre-Colors. I'll try and give them a go sometime this year...

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #753 on: July 02, 2017, 07:07:08 AM »
I really like them but they're definitely a far cry from what they are now. Very raw and visceral, but still undoubtedly BTBAM. Less range and dynamics but there's still some great ups and downs (in terms of harsh versus light) on them. Not so much on the S/T but TSC for sure (the run from Mordecai to Shevanel Take 2 is still one of my favorites). They'll obviously grown so much since then and I'm mainly speaking in a songwriting, production aspect...oh and definitely Tommy's own singing.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #754 on: July 02, 2017, 07:37:44 AM »
The debut is OK but Silent Circus is great.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #755 on: July 02, 2017, 12:29:58 PM »
Even though the band speaks of Colors as being a major turning point, I don't see it being *that* big of a shift from Alaska. (which I've really been getting into lately)   I have not heard anything pre-Alaska. 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #756 on: July 02, 2017, 01:45:07 PM »
Yeah I can see what you mean jammindude. There are flashes of what Colors was on Alaska (Selkies for example) but I guess even though Alaska was proggier than the first two albums, Colors threw in more non-metal elements in the music.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #757 on: July 02, 2017, 04:55:13 PM »
See, and in approaching this album, *everyone* talks about Selkies.   But I thought Backwards Marathon was the mind blower on my first few listens.   Why don't people ever talk about that one?    Then you take the soft instrumental tracks...   I just hear A LOT of different things on this album.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #758 on: January 17, 2018, 10:16:16 AM »
Bump

New two-part album just announced. "Automata"

https://twitter.com/btbamofficial/status/953673282154250240
Excited to announce our two-part album Automata! Part I will be released on March 9th via @SumerianRecords and we’ll be touring this March with @therealTDH & @leprousband.
VIP on sale now: https://www.showstubs.com/btbam
Pre-orders and tickets on sale this Friday.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #759 on: January 17, 2018, 10:22:56 AM »
BTBAM
Dear Hunter
Leprous

Good god.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #760 on: January 17, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »
OMG

I hope the two parts' releases are reasonably close to each other. Does this mean The Dear Hunter will finally come to Europe or is this just for US again? Been waiting for years to see them!

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #761 on: January 17, 2018, 10:57:54 AM »
So is this yet another concept album? That's four in a row if you count both parts separately!

Also that's a sick lineup. First time I'll be seeing Leprous live!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #762 on: January 17, 2018, 11:25:52 AM »
 I just saw this! I am completely stoked!  They just keep getting more and more diverse with every album. I still spin Coma Ecliptic all the time.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #763 on: January 17, 2018, 11:32:17 AM »
Sweeeet. Can’t wait for the first taste!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #764 on: January 17, 2018, 11:40:30 AM »
Sweeeet. Can’t wait for the first taste!
Won't be long! I don't have access to it right now, but if you go to the Sumerian twitter page you'll find that the first single + video will be released in no more than 2 days from now! :metal :metal :corn

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #765 on: January 17, 2018, 11:44:37 AM »
Wow, this is a surprise. I would love to see this tour but they are avoiding Omaha/KC area again.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #766 on: January 17, 2018, 01:23:13 PM »
Oh hell yeah. I'm glad they're stopping here. That lineup is too good not to miss.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #767 on: January 17, 2018, 01:25:07 PM »
Oh hell yeah. I'm glad they're stopping here. That lineup is too good not to miss.

No doubt! If only they could all play a headline set  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: January 17, 2018, 01:26:37 PM »
So pumped for a new album.  This band just doesn't disappoint.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #769 on: January 17, 2018, 01:55:36 PM »
So pumped for a new album.  This band just doesn't disappoint.

Well I'd argue that Coma Ecliptic was a disappointment. That might just be me though.

I'll definitely be giving the new one a spin though, bring it.