Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 131551 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #595 on: July 29, 2015, 12:49:30 PM »
Man, ranking is hard. Early thoughts are something like this:

1. Parallax II
2. Coma Ecliptic
3. Colors /
=. The Great Misdirect
5. Alaska
6. The Silent Circus
7. BTBAM

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #596 on: July 29, 2015, 01:14:31 PM »
From what I've listened to:

1. Colors (I don't think this needs explanation)
2. Coma Ecliptic (Really good, but not enough to beat Colors)
3. Parallax I (Great music, but it doesn't quite work as a standalone album, probably because it isn't one)
4. Parallax II (in my opinion, the least cohesive of their concept albums)
5. The Great Misdirect (with the caveat that Swim to the Moon is my favorite song of theirs, me being the epic lover I am)
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #597 on: July 29, 2015, 06:35:39 PM »
Argh! The boredom monster has forced me to break my 'no ranking rule'. Course this will change in a couple weeks at the very least, but here it is:

1. Colors
2. Coma Ecliptic
3. Parallax I/II (Given "I" is an EP that was created solely for a quick Metal Blade EP and that they were to be one album conceptually, I don't think it's too much to combine the two)
4. The Silent Circus
5. Alaska
6. The Great Misdirect
7. S/T

If it weren't for three songs on TSC, it wouldn't even be up there (kinda like the S/T), but god damn it does Mordecai/Reaction/Shevanel Take II hits me so fucking hard every time. I still think it's one of the best runs of songs from the band. The perfect blend of absolute guttural rage and complete blissful respite. I also have to say that Parallax I has grown on me so much over the years. Initially I wasn't into it in the least, it was even below the S/T. But with the second and full album releasing, combining the two, among my own changing preferences and likes/dislikes, it's quite the EP. Then listening to the two albums together just put it to the top with II.

I don't think anything will ever beat Colors simply because it has the three songs that got me into them (Informal/Sun/Ants...THE INFORMAL SUN ANTS!...well...Selkies was my first song by them and spurred my interest but I was still waaaay against the growls and just the solo lit the bulb) as well as the nostalgia that goes along with that. But it's still the only album I'll sit through without ever thinking "is it close to ending?" at any point at all and when it does, I both know it, and still think, "Damn, I wish there was more". It's quite the paradox because if it DID continue, I'd certainly have that thought of "is it close to ending?" and yet... :lol I'm a greedy-ass human. I'm also a greedy ass-human.

All this said, there really isn't an album I dislike. S/T is tough to get through now that I've begun to slowly move away from the more truly hardcore and stripped-down music like that. It's really just "my favorite to least favorite".  :lol :metal :metal :tup :tup

ED: Ariich, do you consider Parallax to be one full album, or do you just not like "I" enough to rank it? I'm genuinely interested because at one point I wouldn't have ranked it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:12:14 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #598 on: July 30, 2015, 03:09:55 AM »
I always listen to them separately, and I don't think I is nearly as good as II (though it's still solid).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #599 on: July 30, 2015, 06:59:06 AM »
Guys, how about we take a minute to try to understand the story going on in Coma Ecliptic? Here are my theories:

Node:
This could be two things - it's either the protagonist describing how he doesn't like his current life or it's like Goodbye To Everything, which is set at the end of the story.

The Coma Machine:
A pretty obvious description of the guy entering the coma

Dim Ignition:
I don't have a very clear idea, but it could be about the beginning of the man's journey through his past life, with "gather the dwellers" meaning that he now can see how many past lives he's lived in.

Famine Wolf:
Tommy said it's about a world of cannibals - Seems to be that everything is extinct but man, so people now eat each other to survive. There's a slight vegan vibe in the lyrics too.

King Redeem/Queen Serene:
The acoustic part I think is more about the "transition" between one life and the other, whilst the song itself seems to be about a deformed mankind, with no eyes, a fast heart and things like that. Also possibly in the sea. ("Breathe underwater, swim without limbs" - Option Oblivion has a few references to past songs, why not this?)

Turn On The Darkness:
Likely about an ever-dark and deserted world, where a few people wander around, good and bad. The first part of the song is the bad people, and then there's good folks, represented by Paul's verse.

The Ectopic Stroll:
I see this as a mid-coma interruption by some random doctor, and the guy wanting to go back in the coma really bad. The word "Ectopic" also fits this because it means " An abnormal location or position of an organ or a body part ", like if the guy was so getting used to the coma that he finds it abnormal to be back in the real world.

Rapid Calm:
I think that the guy realises that he has to make a choice, whether to stay in the coma (velvet lever) or live on his normal life (golden lever), because the "machine is crumbling". At the end of the song he decides to do OOOONE LAST SEAAAAAAARCH. (Note the couple of lyrical references to Turn On The Darkness and Famine Wolf, possibly meaning that he's undecided between those two worlds)

Memory Palace:
The guy has a sum-up of his previous lives before him, but he's undecided in what to do. (I did not i did not want to come back.. I did not... take me back)

Option Oblivion:
I think that he decides to give up on the coma, and pulls the golden lever.

Life In Velvet:
He realises that the life he didn't like in the beginning was just another coma, and that the whole journey never actually happened,  as he wakes up in a sunny, beautiful and comforting world. But then he dies, and he ends up living in velvet anyways.

I have no clue if this is right, but it seems to make sense to me at least  :lol
Because Mike is better than Mike

Online kaos2900

« Reply #600 on: July 30, 2015, 05:45:42 PM »
Awesome show by BTBAM last night! The set was the same as the one listed a few pages back. We missed the Contortionist and I was not impressed by Animals as Leaders. Very talented but very boring. Anyway, this was my 4th BTBAM show and it was by far the best. The band was super tight and seemed to have the most fun of any of the past shows I've seen.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #601 on: July 30, 2015, 06:11:35 PM »
I have a little over a week until I go see them in Norfolk. I already saw them in Asheville back in April, and there are only a few repeat songs between the shows. My only concern is the setlist; there are two versions. One has Prequel as the last song of the main set, and a Queen cover as the encore. The other removes both in favor of a White Walls encore. I'm really conflicted on which show I want; on the one hand, WW is awesome, but I've already seen it live. But the other option is almost as good, and I imagine that Prequel especially would be amazing live.

I'll be happy as long as I get Ants. Easily a top 5 BTBAM song.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #602 on: August 01, 2015, 05:31:15 AM »
Now beginning my first listen of the new album.

First track is reminiscent of Porcupine Tree so far.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #603 on: August 01, 2015, 06:43:01 AM »
Holy crap, that was incredible!

Obviously, further listening is required, but at first listen, I would venture to say this is one of my favorite albums from BTBAM!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #604 on: August 01, 2015, 09:08:33 AM »
Great to see Coma Ecliptic is getting such great reception around here.  :tup

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #605 on: August 01, 2015, 09:50:05 AM »
I always listen to them separately, and I don't think I is nearly as good as II (though it's still solid).
I think Parallax I is pretty weak, with the exception of Specular Reflection (which is one of my favs). The other 2 tracks are just kinda meh for me.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #606 on: August 01, 2015, 10:31:49 AM »
Man, I love it all; but that's exactly how I was when it first came out. Over time though it grew immensely for me, it's just that it's still only part of a larger album and the fact it's separate and three songs makes it a weird one to rank unless you combine them. I usually don't even listen to them together unless I've got some serious time to kill but conceptually I definitely view it as one big concept.

RIP DTP.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #607 on: August 02, 2015, 09:14:13 AM »
So... I didn't think it would ever happen, but Colors is no longer my favourite BTBAM album. CE now holds that spot.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #608 on: August 02, 2015, 09:41:15 AM »
Dayuuum!

RIP DTP.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #609 on: August 02, 2015, 10:06:30 AM »
I'm also really loving CE but I wouldn't go that far. I think with any band, it's easy to call something your favorite during that "new" phase, but to me, the most important opinion is the long lasting one. Colors for example, has been my favorite for years, and I've had maybe 4-5 years of listening to it, enjoying it. A few weeks of a new album (no matter how good it is) can't top that instantly, and it's also too early to tell how much I will enjoy that album in 4-5 years from now. But with that said, I do think CE makes a great case for being better than the last two, at least I'm enjoying the "new" phase more than I did with TGM or Parallax II.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #610 on: August 02, 2015, 10:29:35 AM »
See, I can understand that point of view but I disagree.

Because the rankings aren't meant to be eternal, they just capture how I feel at a certain moment. And while that is certainly subject to change in the future (though I have a feeling that it won't), at the moment, CE is the one that I enjoy more, so it currently holds the top spot.

It would be different if I were making, say, my Top 50 of all time. Then, yeah, I would probably go with what you said.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #611 on: August 02, 2015, 10:59:35 AM »
I'm trying to get into BTBAM. Love the new album, but was always turned off by how cut and paste the Colours album was. Seems like they came up with 200 melodic ideas for the album, threw them into a blender, arbitrarily cut them into 7 minute sections, titled the sections, added some lyrics and called it an album. No rime or reason for any of their transitions, and more or less impossible to tell the songs apart.

At least, that's the impression I got based on a few listens. Can someone confirm that the songs do start to make more sense over time?

Shocked by how... non-cut and paste the new album is. CE resolved all the faults I found in the Colours album. Love it. Surprisingly tame, almost DT and Porcupine Tree-esque in places.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #612 on: August 02, 2015, 11:07:05 AM »
I think BTBAM has pretty much always been like that. Maybe less so on the first two albums, but ever since they went prog, their "take" on prog is in many ways defined by the songs not having any structures and being more like a continuous journey rather than having verses and choruses. As far as I'm concerned, the new album is no different. Either you like their style or you don't I guess.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #613 on: August 02, 2015, 11:34:01 AM »
I'm trying to get into BTBAM. Love the new album, but was always turned off by how cut and paste the Colours album was. Seems like they came up with 200 melodic ideas for the album, threw them into a blender, arbitrarily cut them into 7 minute sections, titled the sections, added some lyrics and called it an album. No rime or reason for any of their transitions, and more or less impossible to tell the songs apart.

At least, that's the impression I got based on a few listens. Can someone confirm that the songs do start to make more sense over time?

Shocked by how... non-cut and paste the new album is. CE resolved all the faults I found in the Colours album. Love it. Surprisingly tame, almost DT and Porcupine Tree-esque in places.

It's always going to sound that way, but there are repeating themes.   One thing I started to notice is things like (in the first song in particular) there were different riffs played over the same backbeat.   Sometimes the drums would recall a pattern, but the riff would have a different take on the same idea. 

But at the end of the day, it's more about "music" than "songs"...and there is a big difference.   It's not really "song oriented"...but then again, was Miles Davis?    I mean, it's just a matter of exposing yourself to different approaches.   Sometimes new ideas hit us from so far out in left field that it takes time to adjust...but often times, people don't have the patience for such things.    It took me over a year to "get" Colors...but I kept coming back because I could tell that there were a) really cool ideas in there and b) there was a method to it....a thought process that I simply wasn't accustomed to.    Once I stopped looking for "a song" and realized that I was, in fact, enjoying "the music", I stopped worrying about trying to focus on something that the band was not trying to do. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #614 on: August 02, 2015, 01:49:02 PM »
If you're trying to think of what a song should be you probably won't enjoy it too much.

Also TGM is still the best.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #615 on: August 05, 2015, 10:09:51 PM »
I'm not the only one who sees how DT-esque the new album is, right?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #616 on: August 05, 2015, 10:19:57 PM »

Is that good or bad?

And personally, I think Turn on the Darkness has a DT influence, and I sure love it  :metal

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #617 on: August 05, 2015, 11:18:25 PM »
I hear a lot of DT influence, but I also hear some Opeth, Queen, Pink Floyd, and all kinds of other things. Still unmistakeable BTBAM though.

I like the album a lot, been playing it in the car regularly. Definitely a grower, at first few listens I enjoyed it but didn't know if I'd come back to it much. It has an addictive quality to it though that makes it hard not to come back to it every couple days. Some nice reprises in there too, I'm always a sucker for that stuff.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #618 on: August 05, 2015, 11:26:57 PM »
There has definitely been some DT in BTBAM since TGM came out. Personally I feel like BTBAM does more interesting things with that sound than DT though.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #619 on: August 06, 2015, 06:17:25 AM »

I hear small snippets of DT-esque sections....but it's just one more thing they've thrown in the "blender".   It used to be there were only 3 or 4 things in BTBAM's mix, and now there's more lik 8-10 or more.   They've only become more diverse.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #620 on: August 06, 2015, 07:50:04 AM »
The strongest DT vibe I get from them is during the Scenes from a Memory section of "Swim to the Moon".

What strikes me as new in this album are the Pink Floyd resemblances. Never noticed anything like that in their previous albums.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #621 on: August 07, 2015, 01:29:11 AM »
they've kinda gotten a touch more DTesque with every successive album since Alaska. could probably even say since the very beginning.

but really the most outright DTesque songs have gotta be Astral Body and Memory Palace.
...and now that BIZKIT mentions, ya, maybe Turn On The Dark; I'm gonna go spin it and further consider.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #622 on: August 07, 2015, 10:47:35 AM »
I've not felt a DT presence, but I know what people mean by it. More prog-oriented doesn't necessarily equate to sounding like DT to me. I love DT, but I just don't like their sound anymore, and BTBAM is a far cry away from that I think. Again though, I get the gist of the meaning behind saying it. I can kind of see it on Memory Palace but that's probably also why it's my least favorite on the album; I don't dislike it, but about halfway through I start to become a little bored and the song meanders a smidgen.

If anything, I think they're starting to sound like the Opeth of their last few growl albums. Option Oblivion, right when those first notes hit, smacked me with an Opeth vibe right off the bat. That's still kind of an odd comparison I think, but it's closer than DT in my opinion. The thought is still there though: more prog, less hardcore metal. But BTBAM makes a great blend of the two genres and I think it's even more balanced than on albums like Parallax II or TGM.

RIP DTP.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #623 on: August 08, 2015, 08:28:46 AM »
I've not felt a DT presence, but I know what people mean by it. More prog-oriented doesn't necessarily equate to sounding like DT to me. I love DT, but I just don't like their sound anymore, and BTBAM is a far cry away from that I think. Again though, I get the gist of the meaning behind saying it. I can kind of see it on Memory Palace but that's probably also why it's my least favorite on the album; I don't dislike it, but about halfway through I start to become a little bored and the song meanders a smidgen.

If anything, I think they're starting to sound like the Opeth of their last few growl albums. Option Oblivion, right when those first notes hit, smacked me with an Opeth vibe right off the bat. That's still kind of an odd comparison I think, but it's closer than DT in my opinion. The thought is still there though: more prog, less hardcore metal. But BTBAM makes a great blend of the two genres and I think it's even more balanced than on albums like Parallax II or TGM.

The symphonic riff at 2:30 in Node is incredibly DT. Funny that the first 2:30 of that song is incredibly Porcupine Tree..

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #624 on: August 08, 2015, 10:21:13 AM »
I finally got around to grabbing the first 2 albums and all I can say is WOW lol

Offline took_the_time11

« Reply #625 on: August 08, 2015, 10:54:12 AM »
Seeing BTBAM for the first time tonight. Really excited! Also love AAL :metal
I know the Aries Code & I enjoy the right to date.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #626 on: August 08, 2015, 12:22:12 PM »

Yeah Option Oblivion reminds me a lot of Opeth

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: August 08, 2015, 04:27:03 PM »
The symphonic riff at 2:30 in Node is incredibly DT. Funny that the first 2:30 of that song is incredibly Porcupine Tree..

Gotta say I hear it more as The Pineapple Thief — who also sound like PT, true, but Bruce Soord and Tommy have nearly identical singing voices, especially when they stack harmonies!

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #628 on: August 11, 2015, 06:54:45 AM »
Quote from: Dan Briggs
Spilled the beans on my new band in Buffalo today- Nova Collective featuring myself and Richard Henshall from HAKEN..more info soon!

:omg:  :hefdaddy  :metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #629 on: August 11, 2015, 07:23:32 AM »
Dan is trying to take Portnoy's crown for endless side projects.