Author Topic: Between the Buried and Me  (Read 129149 times)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: Between the Buried and Me
« Reply #385 on: May 14, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
I've been searching for the right word for this song and the previous one, and I hit on it earlier today.

Neutered.

This just feels like neutered BTBAM. I can get that they have probably taken the direction that began on Colors about as far as it could go, but all the edge the band had is gone with these two songs. They might be atypical and the rest of the album has more bite and edge to it, but these two songs feel like they filed off all the rough edges. I'll still buy it because I love BTBAM but I'm not sure how much I'd like an album where these songs would be the norm.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #386 on: May 27, 2015, 11:57:37 PM »
I just have to say that I cannot stop listening to Memory Palace!!!   I've never been more in love with this band than I am right now!!

Sorry to all the haters that have been fans since Alaska...but I could never get into Alaska.   I liked Colors a lot, but it took awhile.   I liked The Great Misdirect more than Colors, I liked the Parallax material more than The Great Misdirect, and now I just feel like they are totally peaking with this new material.     From the first moment I heard Colors, I just felt like it had potential, but it needed to be taken to another level.    Colors was brilliant, but felt unfocused and the vocals were bland and one-dimensional.    Now they've kept the Zappa-esque craziness, but haven't limited the influences, and they've expanded Tommy's vocal talents.   This is a FAR FAR more diverse record than anything they've ever done.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #387 on: May 28, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
Alaska is a hard album for me, I never quite understood why people loved it so much. I would say it pales in comparison to both Colors (and everything since) as well as The Silent Circus which has a few more "in your face" metalcore-ish songs. I'd take Alaska over the debut, mostly because of Selkies, but IMO Alaska kinda lacks really memorable songs. Most of the songs are good, but few of them are great. (Selkies being the exception)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #388 on: May 28, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
ALL BODIES
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #389 on: May 28, 2015, 01:59:19 PM »
CONTORTION

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #390 on: May 28, 2015, 09:44:23 PM »
Alaska is a hard album for me, I never quite understood why people loved it so much. I would say it pales in comparison to both Colors (and everything since) as well as The Silent Circus which has a few more "in your face" metalcore-ish songs. I'd take Alaska over the debut, mostly because of Selkies, but IMO Alaska kinda lacks really memorable songs. Most of the songs are good, but few of them are great. (Selkies being the exception)

I like Alaska quite a bit; though it does have its highlights that easily beat out the rest of the album (Selkies, Backwards Marathon, All Bodies), everything else is at least good. I feel that The Silent Circus does not fare so well; the only songs on the album that I really like are the opening pair, (Reaction)->Ad a dglgmut, and The Need for Repitition. The rest of the album, despite some occasional moments of brilliance, falls flat for me. I would take the self-titled and Alaska over it any day.

Of course, Colors onwards is in an entirely different league in terms of quality.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #391 on: May 30, 2015, 09:42:44 AM »
Dude...Mordecai?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #392 on: May 30, 2015, 10:30:33 AM »
I've listened to Mordecai several times in an attempt to understand what all the hype is about, and I really can't see why many people consider it to be one of the band's best songs, let alone their best.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Randaran

« Reply #393 on: May 30, 2015, 02:14:28 PM »
I've listened to Mordecai several times in an attempt to understand what all the hype is about, and I really can't see why many people consider it to be one of the band's best songs, let alone their best.

I feel the same way. When I saw them live back in April, the crowd was chanting 'Mordecai" after Silent Flight Parliament and I was hoping that they would play anything else. They then pulled out White Walls, which is far superior in every way. As much as I like a few songs from the first few albums, I would not want to see most of them live.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: May 31, 2015, 07:51:09 PM »
Mordecai is easily top 5 for me, maybe top 3.  Just brilliant.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #395 on: June 01, 2015, 06:54:10 PM »
Yeah, I am definitely in the minority of BTBAM fans regarding my position on Mordecai.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: June 01, 2015, 09:40:58 PM »
I agree with you that White Walls is better though.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #397 on: June 01, 2015, 11:02:22 PM »
I always feel like my favorite BTBAM song might be Extremophile Elite, it's just so fun.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #398 on: June 01, 2015, 11:12:29 PM »
I always feel like my favorite BTBAM song might be Extremophile Elite, it's just so fun.

YES!!!!  I see so much love for several of the other tracks on Parallax, but this one was my favorite from day one, and is still one of my favorite BTBAM songs.   DAT CHORUS!!!   :metal

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #399 on: June 02, 2015, 12:17:38 AM »
Mordecai's great and all, but it doesn't blow the rest of the album away by any means.
What I don't quite get is the praise for Selkies. I mean, it's love-able, but it's my second least favorite non-instrumental next to Roboturner off Alaska.

also, Extremophile SLAYS.  :metal

Offline Randaran

« Reply #400 on: June 02, 2015, 05:53:51 AM »
Mordecai's great and all, but it doesn't blow the rest of the album away by any means.
What I don't quite get is the praise for Selkies. I mean, it's love-able, but it's my second least favorite non-instrumental next to Roboturner off Alaska.

also, Extremophile SLAYS.  :metal

Selkies is my favorite song from the first three albums. As for the praise, the song has many memorable sections. The 7/8 and 6/8 intro (I think I got the time signatures correct), the heavy verses, the solo at the end; every part of the song is great, and it flows fairly well. It contains all of the elements that make a great BTBAM song that were later expanded upon in Colors.

As for my favorite song of theirs, I would have to go with Disease Injury Madness. The best part is the (2/4 5/8 3/4 6/8) 6/8 4/4 (once again, I am fairly certain that I got this right, though correct me if I am wrong) bit after the clean section and its reprise later on, but every bit of the song is great. Other contenders include White Walls, Lunar Wilderness, Telos, and Ants of the Sky.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #401 on: June 02, 2015, 06:29:26 AM »
Telos = best BTBAM song.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #402 on: June 02, 2015, 08:09:03 AM »

YES!!!!  I see so much love for several of the other tracks on Parallax, but this one was my favorite from day one, and is still one of my favorite BTBAM songs.   DAT CHORUS!!!   :metal

Awesome! I love everything about this song, it's just badass :metal

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #403 on: June 02, 2015, 10:47:15 AM »
I'll throw my hat in the ring for Ants of the Sky as best BTBAM song. Nothing they'v done since comes close to the sheer amount of raw energy and emotion they capture in that one song. :metal

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #404 on: June 02, 2015, 11:14:34 AM »
My top five would probably be something like...

1: White Walls
2: All Bodies
3: Swim To The Moon
4: Ants Of The Sky
5: Selkies
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #405 on: June 02, 2015, 11:30:54 AM »
1. Veridian/White Walls (they should NEVER be separated)
2. Extremophile Elite
3. Fossil Genera
4. Desert of Song
5. Ants in the Sky/Swim to the Moon (tie)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #406 on: June 02, 2015, 12:05:18 PM »
1. Melting City
2. Disease, Injury, Madness
3. Specular Reflection
4. Ants Of The Sky
5. Lay Your Ghosts To Rest

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #407 on: June 02, 2015, 01:14:13 PM »
Swim To The Moon tho.

Also, I agree about Extremophile Elite, it's sooo fun  :metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #408 on: June 02, 2015, 03:07:59 PM »
...As for my favorite song of theirs, I would have to go with Disease Injury Madness. The best part is the (2/4 5/8 3/4 6/8) 6/8 4/4 (once again, I am fairly certain that I got this right, though correct me if I am wrong) bit after the clean section and its reprise later on, but every bit of the song is great...

Great choice! But the 2/4, 5/8, 3/4, 6/8, 6/8, 4/4 section is only the second best part next to that muthafucking horse's nay!  :metal

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #409 on: June 06, 2015, 01:08:34 PM »
So I've known about this band for awhile, but couldn't really get into them, mainly because I'm not a huge fan of hardcore.  But now I'm really starting to like them.  I think Obfuscation was the song that really turned me on to them.

And, they're also from my hometown, so that's pretty cool.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #410 on: June 10, 2015, 06:19:36 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: June 10, 2015, 07:32:09 PM »
At least there is some more prominent heavy sections in this one.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #412 on: June 10, 2015, 08:25:35 PM »
As much as I like the first two released songs, I think I will abstain from listening to any more until the release date.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #413 on: June 10, 2015, 09:35:49 PM »
Danny Elfman influence strong with this one.

MOVE THE FLESH OVER THIS RRRRRROT-TING BONE

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #414 on: June 11, 2015, 05:26:29 AM »
The synth at the beginning sounds like a 80's John Carpenter movie. The whole song is pure BTBAM, with bits of Colors (the ending), Parallax and the gread misdirect (the part before the ending), while maintaining some of the prog-rock vibe of the other two songs. It's also tighter than the other two, which is pretty reassuring. Strong vocals, great guitar work. I just which it was longer. I hope the whole album will flow, because until now, it seems that all the songs are written with the whole album in mind, and not as seperate entities - at least, I hope.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #415 on: June 11, 2015, 10:11:43 AM »
I like it. It's fresh sounding. Looking forward to the album. I imagine this is going to be the last single until the album's release which is a month from now, considering the 3 singles were released the 3 months before the album is going to come out.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #416 on: June 11, 2015, 12:44:40 PM »
Really digging the new song. I've liked each song they've released more than the last, so far!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #417 on: June 13, 2015, 06:06:30 PM »
I'm really liking the new album so far.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #418 on: June 13, 2015, 06:49:03 PM »
Never listened to much BTBAM, there were songs I really liked here and there but I never got to the point of listening to full albums or anything.

This new stuff, however, is some of the best prog-metal (or what have you) I've heard this year. Really good stuff and I'm psyched for the album.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #419 on: June 13, 2015, 07:13:27 PM »
 :tup