Author Topic: What would it take for you to move to a very foreign country?  (Read 2525 times)

Offline soundgarden

Re: What would it take for you to move to a very foreign country?
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2014, 01:53:58 PM »
You definitely want to stay in a foreign country for a while if you have the chance to do so. I vividly remember remember after the 9 weeks in Israel, which was my first real leaving of Germany, you come back and realize that you've changed. For the better. You acquire "worldsmanship", and that will stay with your for the rest of your life.

This, most importantly.  You learn so, so much about yourself, world, and humanity by living (note, not visiting) with other people and cultures.  This is especially important for Americans, who I feel have such a shortsighted and ignorant understanding of the world.  I stayed in France a few years back during a summer during a college program and quickly realized how different Americans were not just from the French, but all others.  It was an international program and the Argentinians, Brazilians, Egyptians, and Chinese all put my fellow American students to shame in almost every regard except wealth.

Anyway; I fell in love with the city I was in (Lyon) and went back for 10 months two years ago.  This summer I am moving there for good. 

Do it man; I am sure it will be as rewarding and intellectually pleasing as I am sure your PhD was.  I can definitely vouch for Europe, English & French Caribbean, and Argentina; can't say for other countries though.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 02:14:41 PM »
Totally true, soundgarden.  My month in China confirmed for me that Americans (including me) are very spoiled and self-centered.  It definitely changed my perspective for the better.  :tup

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2014, 10:27:40 PM »
I spent a semester in Tokyo in the fall of '01.  Because of my poor planning I didn't really have much money for the time I was there, so I ended up working odd jobs with an electrician on the weekends.  To this day I still think of this as the most life changing experience of my life.  Between seeing 9/11 in a foreign country and living without much money (even to take the bus to school), I learned a bunch.  The isolation didn't really affect me, since I was a part of about 20 other students that were studying abroad as well.  That and I already knew a guy nearby, so that helped.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2014, 10:46:14 PM »
Absolutely nothing. A passport.

I'm not proud of being English and I actually hate the UK.

Merely the opportunity.   Without a job lined up it would be impossible and unfortunately my job is not one anyone would sponsor me for.  But I'd leave the US to work in another country in a heartbeat.

I particularly loved England when I was there,, so it's a pity Kotowboy and I can't switch places.  :(
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 06:12:11 AM »
I had the opportunity back in the early 90's to work in Saudi making +200k a year, tax free.  2 year contract.  I told them ...ummm...no thanks.  For me to go to the middle east to work now, they'd have to dish out at least 2 mil a year, tax free.  I'd work one year then I could retire.  I'd work, and stay in my hotel/compound...nothing else :lol  I've lived in Mexico for 3 years, and traveled extensively.  But the middle east?? No.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 03:01:53 PM »
Absolutely nothing, because I am definitely moving as soon as I get this piece of shit paper that probably won't be acknowledged by any foreign institution as a valid diploma because universities in Serbia are a cesspool of ineffective bureaucracy. I hate the fact that most of our youth was more motivated to get the papers and get the hell out of here over the past 15-25 years rather than investing that energy in getting some shit done in here, but as we're approaching absolute one-party dictatorship and bankruptcy, and the only measures that can get us out of an unemployment rate of 30% and a crashed economy are the ones which would make us wage-slaves to the most ruthless of capitalists, I think my desire to get out of here is more survival instinct and less a "desire to see the world and enhance my worldview".

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2014, 05:47:41 PM »
Absolutely nothing. A passport.

I'm not proud of being English and I actually hate the UK.

Merely the opportunity.   Without a job lined up it would be impossible and unfortunately my job is not one anyone would sponsor me for.  But I'd leave the US to work in another country in a heartbeat.

I particularly loved England when I was there,, so it's a pity Kotowboy and I can't switch places.  :(

The UK is a shit hole.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2014, 05:55:51 PM »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2014, 02:09:45 AM »
I'd go for free. Lived abroad large parts of my life and have no problem residing in different places, love it in fact.

I had the opportunity back in the early 90's to work in Saudi making +200k a year, tax free.  2 year contract.  I told them ...ummm...no thanks.  For me to go to the middle east to work now, they'd have to dish out at least 2 mil a year, tax free.  I'd work one year then I could retire.  I'd work, and stay in my hotel/compound...nothing else :lol  I've lived in Mexico for 3 years, and traveled extensively.  But the middle east?? No.
I feel, like many westerners, that you have an incredibly skewed opinion of the middle east. Especially since the talk was about Dubai, which is probably a lot wealthier and safer than wherever in the US you are residing.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2014, 02:49:14 AM »
Yeah, the UAE - especially Abu Dhabi and Dubai - are in many ways Western cities plonked in the middle of the desert. No safety concerns there at all.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2014, 06:01:47 AM »
I'd go for free. Lived abroad large parts of my life and have no problem residing in different places, love it in fact.

I feel, like many westerners, that you have an incredibly skewed opinion of the middle east. Especially since the talk was about Dubai, which is probably a lot wealthier and safer than wherever in the US you are residing.

Never said folks in Dubai or Saudi aren't wealthy, they're a helluva lot wealthier than me.   Wealth has nothing to do with my personal safety in the region.   I'll stick to my guns and stay out of the region.  As far as being safer than where I live in Huntington Beach, CA??  Not so sure about that.  Maybe Dubai, but Saudi Arabia and other countries in the region I seriously doubt.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2014, 07:53:19 AM »

Never said folks in Dubai or Saudi aren't wealthy, they're a helluva lot wealthier than me.   Wealth has nothing to do with my personal safety in the region.   I'll stick to my guns and stay out of the region.  As far as being safer than where I live in Huntington Beach, CA??  Not so sure about that.  Maybe Dubai, but Saudi Arabia and other countries in the region I seriously doubt.
I think there are many places to be found in the middle east that aren't much unsafer than big cities in the US. Also, even if they are a bit more unsafe - isn't it worth the risk to see something of the world?

Dunno, might just be my own mindset - but I make the decision to go to a totally different culture in a heartbeat. I agree with the statement somewhere above that it changes you and teaches you about the world.