Author Topic: Zook's Top 50 v. Screw it, here's #13-1!  (Read 16099 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Zook's Top 50 Albums 2014 PT 2 and a Half: The Reboot (Page 2) #37-35
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2014, 02:35:28 PM »
3 killer albums.  Maiden is classic and that BG is incredible, love it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2014, 09:52:43 PM »
SSOASS is amazing!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2014, 05:50:02 AM »
I'm not a fan of Into Eternity and of course Iron Maiden is awesome.  However, it's even more awesome to see Blind Guardian!   :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2014, 07:05:01 PM »
31. Nightwish - Imaginaerum (2011)

Genre: Symphonic Metal

The first Nightwish album in my opinion that is good all the way through. I didn't like the first album with Annette Olzon aside from like 3 songs, but Imaginaerum is brilliant. Annette is on fire, and the songs are great. As I said before, concept albums really bring out the best in bands. Bass player Marco Hietala is more of a lead vocalist this time around and really shows his range. I actually didn't know he could sing that well, but he has a great voice. This album is simply Nightwish doing what Nightwish does best, but a concept album so it's even better in that regard. I'm not thrilled about the middle section of Scartale, but it doesn't ruin the song for me. The same can be said about the second half of Song Of Myself, although I did make an edit because if the song comes on shuffle, I don't always want to sit through 6 minutes of spoken word. Unfortunately, as great as Annette is here, it would be her last album with Nightwish as she contracted Ripper Owens Syndrome, the two album curse. But now Nightwish has an even better singer in Floor Jansen so fuck yeah!

Favorite song: Song of Myself

30. Ayreon - 01011001 (2008)

Genre: Progressive Rock/Metal

Many Ayreon fans don't like this album, but I think it's Arjen's best work. I love the atmosphere throughout, and it's his only album where I can listen all the way through without getting bored, and without there being any stinkers. Well, Disc 1 does have these two tracks that might be a little on the so bad it's good side of things but really, they aren't that bad. Arjen isn't exactly known for his awe inspiring lyrics. The cast of singers this time around is huge and they are all excellent. Even Daniel Gindenlol who I really don't like sounds great here. The stand out for me is one of my favoirte singers, Hansi Kursch, who very much stands out from the rest due to his awesomely distinct voice and from being awesome. Awesome! 01 is darker than Arjen's other works, and I guess that's due to him having personal issues, but I think it brought out the best in him. And it really helps to have such an amazing cast of singers. Did I mention the singers on this album are great? Some of the songs are goofy I'll admit, even on Disc 2, but as a complete package, this album is outstanding.

Favorite song: Waking Dreams

29. Within Temptation - The Unforgiving (2011)

Genre: Symphonic Rock/Metal

I think The Unforgiving is Within Temptation's crowning achievement. Oh look, a concept album, those are neat. By this point it was clear that they really wanted to take things to the mainstream, OK, who am I kidding, it was clear with The Silent Force, but they really solidified that mainstream rock/metalness of their sound with The Unforgiving. Some people frown upon the every song is a potential single formula, but I think it's great if the songs are good. I never had a problem with mainstream music, well, only the shitty mainstream music. My girlfriend even likes this album. Sharon has developed her rock voice, and although I kind of miss the angelic way she used to sing, it wouldn't really work with their style now. But it's cool, she still sounds great, and the band has a balanced mix, and rockin' the fuck out. Within Temptation keep getting better and better with each new album, but it's really unfortunate how crappy their new album sounds. The songs are good, but ruined by bad production. Although, even with good production, The Unforgiving still remains their best, and my favorite of theirs.

Favorite song: A Demon's Fate

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Zook's Top 50 Albums 2014: #30-29
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2014, 07:35:17 PM »
Nice update - really like the Nightwish and WT .................the Ayreon not so much.

I agree with everything you said about WT (except about missing the old falsetto stuff) and my favourite song there is A Demon's Fate  :tup
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 07:45:08 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2014, 07:49:28 PM »
Nightwish and Ayreon are awesome! :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2014, 09:13:35 PM »
Three good albums, and I'll grant ya that The Unforgiving is WT's best.  But 01011001 and Imaginaerum are far from the best from either Ayreon or Nightwish.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2014, 02:01:51 AM »
no u

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2014, 03:48:44 AM »
I got that Nightwish album, but I have never listened to it.  That Ayreon album was actually a bit of a disappointment for me.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2014, 08:10:58 AM »
01011001 is still my favorite Ayreon album, just ahead of THE and ITEC
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2014, 01:23:35 PM »
01011001 (why doesn't the forum just go with "Y"?) is good, but still pales in comparison to THE, and now that I've given so much more time to it, TTOE.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2014, 01:41:23 PM »
Binary and Imaginarium are not top three albums for either band.  I don't know what is left to come, so I for all I know you agree with me, although I'm guessing that is not the case.  Either way, that Blind Guardian album is better than both of those.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2014, 02:10:08 PM »
I think The Human Equation is extremely overrated. I get bored after the 3rd song.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2014, 02:24:22 PM »
Excellent update.  The WT CD of course being my favorite.  Lots of great songs on The Unforgiving and it's hard to pick a favorite track.  A Demon's Fate is definitely one of them, though I would also put In The Middle Of The Night, Faster, and Iron up there. 

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2014, 03:35:05 PM »
I think The Human Equation is extremely overrated. I get bored after the 3rd song.

I've heard people call it out on that, so I would give it more spins to see if it had that effect on me. It really just never did. There's too many memorable melodies and lovely little moments scattered about an already memorable list of tracks for it to tire on me.

Different strokes I guess. And I'm not saying 01011001 is a bad choice by any means. Anything Arjen touches is gold. :tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
28. Damnation Angels - Bringer of Light (2012)

Genre: Symphonic Power Metal

I can't say I'm a fan of PelleK's other work, but I love this album. I love metal music with a real orchestra. It's the perfect combination. The sound is huge and PelleK has a great voice. The album starts out with an instrumental that sets up the rest of the album and demonstrates what to expect for the next hour. A huge bombastic orchestral dramatic metal opus. The orchestra carries the songs more than PelleK, but he's a matching presence (contradiction?), delivering soaring highs and just delivering an excellent performance. My least favorite song is definitely the Metallica cover, No Leaf Clover, but it stays true to the original even with PelleK matching James Hetfield's redneckish singing, which is why I'm not the fondest of it. The last song, Pride (The Warrior's Way) is the second longest song on the album, and probably my second favorite behind The Longest Day of My Life. I love the oriental sounds. I'm not sure what's going on with Damnation Angels since PelleK is doing his solo stuff, but I hope they make another album, 'cause I just can't get into his solo albums.

Favorite song: The Longest Day of My Life

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Zook's Top 50 Albums 2014: #28
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2014, 05:04:11 PM »
Dunno that one.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2014, 05:07:19 PM »
You do now, BEEOTCH!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2014, 09:58:54 PM »
Fabulous album.  Made my Top 50 v2.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2014, 05:19:27 PM »
Gonna try to bust out a bunch of updates over the weekend. Sorry for the delay.

No I'm not.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2014, 05:38:14 PM »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2014, 07:31:29 PM »
27. Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time (1986)

Genre: Heavy Metal

I didn't like Powerslave that much. There's a few good songs, but the middle portion is kinda shit. I'd still rank it above most of the post reunion material though. Somewhere in Time was a huge improvement over Powerslave, and the addition of the relevancsizer wasn't a detractor at all. The songs were more energetic, heavier, and were all well written and catchy even without the help of any songwriting from Bruce Dickinson. I believe he is usually the one who writes all the singleworthy stuff. After a brief intro, the title track kicks you in the face with an extremely catchy, but heavy as fuck riff, and doesn't stop until the 7 minutes are over. Iron Maiden hasn't really been on my currently playing list of bands in a while, and I don't know how often Wasted Years was played on the radio, but in my 10 years as a fan, the song has never gotten old, and I never grew tired of it. It's just a great song. I can see Heaven Can Wait doing that though, although that song isn't bad either. Sea of Madness picks up where the title track left off with the pounding metal onslaught.  My least favorite would be Loneliness of the Longest Song Title Ever (I may have done this joke before in my last list, and if so I apologize... it's not that long). The two closing tracks, Deja Vu and Alexander the Great are pretty epic, if not a bit silly. Alexander the Great I imagine is where Jon Schaffer got his inspiration for The Glorious Burden as it reads like a history book, but the instrumental/solo section is amazing. Seventh Son was an amazing follow up, but Somewhere in Time still slays it.

Favorite song: Alexander The Great

26. Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes (1998)

Genre: Metal/Power Metal

I liked The Dark Saga. It has my favorite Iced Earth song, but it lacked oomph. Something Wicked gives us that oomph. Kinda picking up where Burnt Offerings left off with the "I hate organized religion" lyrics which is cool with me, this album combines the heaviness of BO with the accessibility of The Dark Saga to create a mainstream, but heavy album. Jon was feeling ballad happy though because every other song is a ballad, so the album might not have the best flow for some people. I've actually re-ordered the track list to a pretty good line up, but I had to omit Watching Over Me. The album is fine as is though. Jon is pretty inspired and the whole "band" sounds great. The bass is thick and audible, and the drums sound natural, and Larry's lead playing is stellar. This album also saw the birth of the Something Wicked storyline, and the ending trilogy is amazing. One of the best things IE has ever done. The riffs are incredible, and Matt tears it up on vocals. If you were thinking of getting into Iced Earth, this is probably the best place to start. It isn't a thrash monster like Night of the Stormrider, but it's a heavy, accessible, and kick ass Metal album.

Favorite song: The Coming Curse

25. Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera (2002)

Genre: Symphonic Power Metal

Hansi decided one day he was going to stop fucking screaming and start fucking wailing. A Night at the Opera sees Blind Guardian changing from Thrash/Speed/Power Metal to Symphonic Power Metal. Hansi is one of my favorite singers, and his high notes are just incredible. I really like the mix here. Most BG fans seem to complain about it, and I will agree it's loud, as in, Hansi will give you a headache, but the mix as a whole never bothered me. It still sounds better than the remix from the recent box set, where audio drops down, and the kick drums are way too quiet, one of the best parts about the original mix. There is lead guitar playing literally throughout every song, which always had me wonder how the hell they're able to memorize all that live. It sounds cool though. this is still very much a Power Metal album, but not enough for the drummer to stick around. This is some of Thomen's best work I think. It was actually hard for him to play live which is why they've never played Battlefield. Although their next album was a dud, Blind Guardian would pick things up again for 2010's At The Edge of Time, where they would have a real orchestra and return to their thrashier roots. I recommend that album as well. I almost forgot to mention the 14 minute masterpiece that is And Then There Was Silence. The epic to end all Power Metal epics. At 14 minutes, this song never slows down (even at the slow parts) and even at 14 minutes, it has a rather typical song structure, and flies by. It's so enthralling that it's over before you know it. It's just an amazing song. It was actually released as the albums' lead single which is rather odd, but at the same time makes perfect sense. Listen to it NAO.

Favorite song: And Then There Was Silence

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2014, 07:39:35 PM »
I didn't like Powerslave that much. There's a few good songs, but the middle portion is kinda shit.

*screams internally*

But SIT is amazing, so there's your redemption. :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Zook's Top 50 Albums 2014: #27-25
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2014, 07:44:44 PM »
Aces High - awesome
2 Minutes to Midnight - good
Losfer Words - fun but just good
Flash of the Blade - meh
The Duelists - I remember liking the solo section, but meh
Back in the Village - meh
Powerslave - cool
Rime of the Ancient Mariner - awesome

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2014, 08:29:56 PM »
They're pretty much all awesome. Yeah, it doesn't have all the sprinkles of prog the following two albums did, but when I think of MAIDEN, I think fucking Powerslave. It consistently wows me.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2014, 08:48:57 PM »
They're pretty much all awesome. Yeah, it doesn't have all the sprinkles of prog the following two albums did, but when I think of MAIDEN, I think fucking Powerslave. It consistently wows me.

Really? I usually just play the discs...

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2014, 09:02:58 PM »

Really? I usually just play the discs...

What?...wait. Are you telling me no one else has a record needle for a dick?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
I wish. It's like a tic tac down there.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2014, 02:25:28 AM »
I wish. It's like a tic tac down there.

lol

Awesome Maiden and Iced Earth picks!  I think I'll play both of those this weekend.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2014, 02:50:27 AM »
That is amazing update.  All three of those are awesome.  Great to see ANATO, that's probably a top 3 BG album for me.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2014, 03:27:04 AM »
Somewhere in time.  :tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2014, 09:29:51 AM »
More updates today. Writer's block is a bitch, but I'm almost done with the next batch of 3, and I'll try to write 3 more today as well. Maybe I should just keep these damn things to like two sentences...

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2014, 11:48:06 AM »
That's what slows mine down as well. "What the hell do I say about these damn albums anyway?"  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2014, 12:54:36 PM »
I've listened to a lot of these albums a gazillion times and I don't know how to describe them at all. Damn reviewers and their nifty way with words.