Author Topic: Zook's Top 50 v. Screw it, here's #13-1!  (Read 16100 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Zook's Top 50 PT 2: When Boobs and Metal Unite #41-39
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2014, 04:21:39 AM »
Ignition is a terrific album.

Countdown is classic.

Dunno the other one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 07:42:02 AM »
No comment
No comment
No comment

Don't know any of these albums.  Probably know some individual songs from Offspring, but that's about it.  Megadeth was out of my range back in the day.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, 10:54:03 AM »
WUDYA MEAN I'M OUTTA YOUR RANGE?

JUST NOT.... Your... 

38. Vanden Plas - Christ 0 (2006)

Genre: Progressive Metal

Here's another newcomer to my collection... Except it isn't quite new. When I joined DT.net in 2006, there were 2 albums that were all the buzz: 10,000 Days and Christ 0.. Oh and some live album was being talked about as well. Can't remember the band though. Sleep Arena or something. Anyway, I tried 10,000 Days, and it was eh. I actually bought it, but never made it through the whole thing. I've heard most of it. The nifty packaging was all fucked up too. Then shortly after I bought it they rereleased it with better packaging. What the fuck? Huh? Oh right, Vanden Plas. So I didn't give Christ 0 a listen until 2010, but just put it on and was doing something else not really paying attention. It didn't sound that interesting. Fast forward like a month ago, my co-worker walks by me and says, "VANDEN PLAS" "Huh?" "Vanden Plas, have you heard of them?". It took me a few seconds to figure out what the hell he was asking since I was half asleep, but I was like, "oh Vanden Plas, yeah I've listened to Christ 0 a while back." So after that I decided to give it another chance, and it was ok. Nothing wrong with it. Decent prog Metal. I listened again the next day, and it started sounding better. After maybe the 3rd or 4th listen the album finally clicked, and what a great click. I'm really glad I gave this album another chance, 'cause it is truly something special. Usually I tend to avoid all the popular stuff being talked about as it tends to get over hyped for me. When I discover something on my own, it always has a greater impact. This happened with Stone Sour's Come What (Ever) May. My brother's like "listen to this, it's awesome". So I did, and was like "eh". Months later I decided to give it a go again, and was like 'this is awesome". So yeah, Christ 0 is a pretty awesome album. Great melodies, great instrumentation, great vocals. I'd say check it out, but I think everyone on the forum has heard it already.

Favorite song: Somewhere Alone in the Dark

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Zook's Top 50 PT 2: When Boobs and Metal Unite - #38
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2014, 11:01:17 AM »
Now you're talking!  Great album.  Don't think there's a single VP album I don't love.  Looking forward to the new release this month too!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2014, 11:03:59 AM »
I actually have this album. It's all right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2014, 12:38:48 PM »
The last two selections are pretty good. With Sirenia, I prefer Ailyn's vocals though.  The Vanden Plas CD is the best thing I've seen on your list so far.   :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 02:36:39 PM »
Vanden Plas is a great band.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2014, 10:41:18 PM »
37. Mercenary - The Hours That Remain (2006)

Genre: Melodic Death Metal/Progressive Metal

I don't really remember how I discovered this album, it might have been someone else's list. Who knows, but I have tried out Mercenary before with 11 Dreams, but I didn't like it. The Hours That Remain is a huge improvement, but that might be due to the overall clean vocals on the album. Not many bands, OK only one band can get my attention when growls are prominent throughout an album, but we'll get to that later. There are some metalcoreish style vocals, but they actually don't sound awful. The album itself is awesome. Heavy Fucking Metal throughout with great vocal melodies. The production is that "wall of sound" style that is just relentless, but for a band like Mercenary it's required. I've listened to some of their other albums that came after The Hours That Remain, but they really can't touch the quality of it. Their newest album was pretty good though. Great album. Go listen.

Favorite song: Lost Reality

36. Delain - April Rain (2009)

Genre: Symphonic Rock/Metal

Delain were another one of those Beauty and the Beast bands who realized that that style is tired and old and boring [citation needed] and for their next album decided to have 99% clean female vocals. Good job Delain, I'm proud of you. Besides, any band with Charlotte Wessels should always give her the spotlight. Delain changed their style to a more poppish Symphonic Rock and Metal, and it really was for the better. Although I did enjoy the songs they played live from the first album, I couldn't get through Lucidity. It bored me. The music on April Rain is more alive, and interesting as are the melodies and such. Charlotte is great and her accent bleeds through which makes her voice more attractive. Virtue and Vice is the only song to feature any growls and they only appear in the bridge. Marco Hietala of Nightwish makes another cameo appearance on a couple of songs, and it's always great to hear his voice. I'm glad I finally gave Delain a chance because I initially wrote them off as soon as I found out there were growls. The band only got better...

Favorite song: On The Other Side

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Zook's Top 50 PT 2: When Boobs and Metal Unite - #37-36
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2014, 10:43:28 PM »
That's a pretty good one from Mercenary.  Their latest album would be my favourite though.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2014, 10:46:53 PM »
I need to give that one another listen. I only have Holding on to Serenity on my phone right now and that's a bonus track.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2014, 10:48:18 PM »
ooo, I didn't even know there was a bonus track for that one, I'll have to check that out when I got home, thanks man.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2014, 06:33:26 AM »
Delain is great.  So glad they opened for Kamelot, forcing me to check them out.  And this is hottie #2 that I've personally met from your list (Amanda was the other).

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2014, 06:51:21 AM »
Shouldn't her first name be "Nuclear"?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2014, 08:45:17 AM »
She can nuclear my wessels.

I made a correction to Light of Day, Day of Darkness. I had the release year as 2006, but it actually came out in 2002. I might have done this last time too as my copy is a re-release.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2014, 06:38:42 PM »
I'll post the next batch tomorrow. I know everyone is anxiously waiting. Sorry for the delay.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2014, 04:07:08 AM »
Hurry it up bitch.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Zook's Top 50 Albums 2014 PT 2 and a Half: The Reboot
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2014, 07:11:58 PM »
no u

Before I continue I have a confession to make. I done goofed. I need to revise my list as I've come to the conclusion that some albums don't belong while others do. So here is my

Top 50 Albums 2014 - The Reboot:

50. Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness (2006)

Genre: Progressive/Doom Metal

Returning for the sequel, but unfortunately not getting a bigger role is Green Carnation's monster 60 minute masterpiece, Light of Day, Day of Darkness. This song/album is just epic beyond scale. That being said, as awesome as the song is, I only listen to it a few times a year. Not to knock the rest of the epic, but the song really reaches it's peak at the 16 minute mark, but then that only lasts for 2 minutes. If the whole song had the same intensity, it'd be much higher, but as it is, it sits nicely at #50. Fans of dark atmospheric Doom Metal will love this. It's quite a journey. Check it out.

49. HolyHell - HolyHell (2009)

Genre: Power Metal

Power Metal is a waning genre for me, but sometimes I come across a gem like HolyHell's self titled debut. As an added bonus the band contains female powerhouse Maria Breon. Her name might not have any significance as she isn't associated with any other known bands, but she has pipes that will make Ann Wilson blush. I'm picky about my female singers. A lot of symphonic or goth bands tend to have the Tarja style Operatic female vocals that I just don't care for anymore. I can listen to old Nightwish, but Tarja clones are to strong, and not pleasant. I much prefer the sweet and beautiful styles like Sharon of Within Temptation. Maria has the sweet and beautiful along with ear piercing wails and also a sinister tone as well. She's the full package. But what about the band? The music is a mix of classic Heavy metal and Power metal in the vein of Manowar, and although I'm not a fan nor am I familiar with Manowar, I can't deny how awesome their ex-drummer, Rhino sounds on this album. I like to compare HolyHell to Mystic Prophecy. Both bands are all about heaven, hell, angels, demons, fire, hell, hell, hell. The difference being that HolyHell has WAAAAYY better lyrics... And a better singer. My favorite song on the album is actually the ballad, The Fall, which is the case for a lot of albums, but it showcases just how great Maria is. Apparently they are keeping with the Hell theme for their next album, but I hope they do vary it up a little bit as it can get repetitive with the lyrics after a while. If you like Heavy Power Metal with symphonic elements, try this album out.

Favorite song: The Fall

48. Missy Higgins - The Sound of White (2004)

Genre: Pop/singer-songwriter

Another mainstay on the list, The Sound of White is a solid album that is far removed from what I normally listen to, but when the Metal Lake goes dry, I have to search somewhere else. I can thank my girlfriend for introducing me to Missy Higgins 'cause otherwise I would never have heard of her. I'm sure Blob would love that. Truth is, I'll listen to anything if it has a good melody and isn't annoying. Missy writes good feel good tunes and really deserves more attention outside of Australia. Her more upbeat songs like Scar and This is How it Goes can be compared to The Goo Goo Dolls to give you an idea of her sound. Her second album, On A Clear Night almost made the list, but there are a couple duds on it. I'd still recommend listening to it though. Her third album sucks though. I don't like the direction she went. If you like acoustic pop rock that isn't TOO poppy, check this album out.

Favorite song: The Special Two

47. Harvest - Chasing Time (2012)

Genre: Progressive Rock

Another female fronted band, Harvest plays in a similar style to Marillion, who are like their heroes. With their second album, Harvest rock out a bit more this time but are still acoustically driven. Singer Monique Van Der Kolk's pleasant voice is a great compliment to the music. She's not your typical goth or symphonic singer, but more of a folkish style. One of my favorite songs, Intuition has a Porcupine Tree vibe (think Trains) driven by acoustic guitar and a great outro solo. As you might guess, all the songs on Chasing Time are about time in some way. The Machine being about a time machine. Subtle. If you're still reading this, I really suck at write ups. I've listened to this album several times, and I just can't figure out how to describe it. Acoustic rock mixed with folk and progressive elements. There we go. If you like atmospheric Folk Prog, Take a gander. I caught a cold and have writers block. What's your excuse? Oh you know what, the closer, Stars is amazing. Easily my favorite.

Favorite song: Stars

46. Nemesea - The Quiet Resistance (2011)

Here's a band I happened upon just browsing my... Sources... And was like Hey these guys are pretty good. Nemesea started out as a dime a dozen Beauty and the Beast band, but on the very next album In Control did a 180 and became an Electronica Rock Band. We'll get to that later. The Quiet Resistance opens with an annoying skipable intro that serves no purpose and then the synth soaked riffage of Caught in the Middle begins. A great opening rocker and great introduction to the powerful voice of Manda Ophuis. More about this song later. The rocking continues with Afterlife and Whenever and then the obligatory ballad, If You Could. High Enough features the lovely Charlotte Wessels of Delain (can't believe I forgot to bring this album when I saw them. I'm sure it would have gotten a big smile out of her) in a rocking duet with some clean male vocals at the bridge rocking it Evanescence style. It's Over features some guest male vocals, and honestly, one of the guys sounds like Chad Kroeger. Not bad though. The melodies are great, my favorite being in the pre-chorus. My favorite song on the album surprise surprise is the second ballad, I Live. Beautiful song. Manda has such a great voice. The last few songs have a bit of a Linkin Park vibe to them. Not bad, maybe a bit too blatant at times. The closing track is an instrumental which definitely screams Linkin Park, but also dates itself as it's about the 2012 apocalypse which of course is now irrelevant. The bonus track which I'm pretty sure is on every release anyway is an homage to Rammstein. Apparently while making the song, it was giving off a Rammstein vibe so they just brought in a Rammstein tribute band singer, and made the lyrics in German. Decent song.

Why is this so low? Let's go back to Caught in the Middle. The bridge. Manda's voice breaks constantly during this short section and it really puzzles me why they didn't do another take. It's so off putting that I made an edit cutting out the whole bridge. Flows nicely I must say. Another thing, the drums are kinda boring. I don't think I'm spoiled by prog, but the guy could have done a few more things within some of the songs, but he kinda just keeps the beat.  That being said, if you like Symphonic Rock, or Evanescence and Linkin Park, check this out. Great stuff.

Favorite song: I Live

45. Amanda Somerville - Windows (2009)

Genre: Singer-songwriter/Rock

The last album on the list to feature the bodacious, babelicious Amanda Somerville. This time not so metal. Honestly I'd rather her release another solo album like this than Trillium. Windows is a bit of a genre mash-up album and that's good, but some songs don't leave as great a mark. While mostly being Soft Rock, there are a couple rockers like Inner Whore which is great. She can be my... Um anyway, as I mentioned, this album is a hodge podge of genres including a lounge song. It's alright. Her voice is perfect for it though. She should really be more famous with a voice like that. Hey, you know what my favorite song is? The wedding ballad. Yeah, it's a wedding song, like it could be played at a wedding. I love it though. I love ballads. You can have my man card. I don't care. Songs like Path of Safe Return and Moth would do great on Contemporary radio. Just really good tunes similar to say, Michelle Branch, without the Hetfieldisms. Windows is a definite improvement over her debut, and I hope she releases something again soon. It can only get better.

Favorite song: All That I Am

44. Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever (1989)

Genre: Rock & Roll

Remember those drastic drops I was talking about? Here's the first one. I've loved Tom Petty since I can remember. Dancing with my mom standing on her feet to the album is a great memory. So to have this as my number one album made sense, but then I took my nostalgia goggles off and while it's still a great album, it's not perfect as I thought for so many years. The first half is phenomenal. Side A is perfect. Side B however does drop in quality. Side A is all about rocking out, while side B takes a different turn into an almost country style at times. Still great songs mind you, but not up to snuff with Side A. After saying all that, I will say that Full Moon Fever is more consistent than anything he's done with The Heartbreakers. I have the Anthology and it's really all I need from Tom Petty. But if you like Tom, and somehow haven't heard this album, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?! Listen to it NAO. Also, be on the look out sometime in 2084 when KrotchRaut releases their version of Runnin' Down a Dream.  :metal :metal :metal

Favorite song: Side A

43. The Offspring - Ignition (1992)

Genre: Punk Rock

Here's the other album that took a huge fall down the rankings. There's nothing wrong at all with this album. It's great from start to finish. THE BEST Offspring album. But as I said before, over time, I just like other albums and bands more nowadays. Ignition doesn't get the nostalgia treatment, The Offspring has just been off my radar. Plus them sucking now doesn't help anything. Anyway, Ignition is amazing melodic Punk Rock. Before they hit the mainstream and became a goofy rock band, The Offspring were writing some pretty mature music. Yeah, they still wrote the occasional goofy song, but the songs had more heart. They had something to prove. And they did, from the opening "fucks" of Session to the fade out of Forever and a Day, These guys played their hearts out. For serious songs, besides Gone Away, they've never been able to touch the brilliance and sadness of Dirty Magic. Just a powerful emotional song. Actually, this album has more serious songs than any other album of theirs. Dexter Holland is a great lyricist when he's not just trying to be funny. If your first introduction to The Offspring was say Americana (which is great) but you don't like the overall silliness, check out Ignition, or even Smash, or the debut. Great stuff.

Favorite song: Dirty Magic

42. Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction (1992)

Genre: Heavy/Thrash Metal

This album is a big part of my childhood as it was in my life before I was really even a fan of the band. My older brother was the big Metallica and Megadeth fan so besides hearing the singles on the radio in the early 90s, I was hearing the albums when my brother was blasting them. I didn't really become a fan of Megadeth as in buying their albums until the late 90s. I want to say the first Megadeth album I did buy was Risk, but it could have been Cryptic Writings. It's fuzzy, but I do remember only buying Risk because Ex Wrestler Goldberg used Crush 'Em as his entrance for a while. I remember Megadeth playing live on WCW Nitro and after the song ended Goldberg returned. Cool stuff. But enough about that shitty song. What about Countdown to Extinction? Well, it showed Megadeth becoming more mainstream and straightforward Metal rather than the Thrash they were playing before. Rust in Peace was decent, half good half suck, so I think it was time Dave changed things up. It worked. Symphony of Destruction might be simple, but it's a solid metal rocker. lol metal rocker. Anyway, it's certainly not the best on the album, but a great introduction to their new sound. I'm sure there were riots when fans heard the ballady Foreclosure of a Dream, but it's a great song. Sweating Bullets is hilariously fun song. Proof that Megadeth (at the time) hadn't lost their thrash is Ashes in Your Mouth. My favorite on the album, and my favorite Megadeth over all. The song slays. There are a few filler songs on here, but they aren't bad. All in all, this album owns, and is essential to anyone's metal collection.

Favorite song: Ashes in Your Mouth

41. Sirenia - Nine Destinies and a Downfall (2007)

Genre: Symphonic Gothic Metal/Rock

This album is relatively new to me, and unfortunately the only album of theirs I'm gonna like, which is weird cause research has told me that this is the most hated from Sirenia fans. It is a drastic change in their sound, but that's what makes it great to me. I'm not a fan of Beauty and the Beast bands. They bore me, and the growls ruin what might be good songs. While this album does have growls, they're only on 3 songs, and they're actually done well and don't detract from the songs. I remember when I would have never said that. Thanks Obama KrotchRaut! Monika Pedersen has a unique voice, but it's quite nice. The songs pretty much all follow the same formula. In a perfect world, all of these songs could be radio singles. What can I say, I'm a sucker for well written hooks. Mainstream music isn't all bad. Mostly bad, but not all bad. One minor flaw is that the songs after a while sort of start to sound the same because of their formulaic nature. Not the melodies, it's just the songs are sort of predictable. Except the closing ballad, Glades of Summer. That changes it up to end the album on a sorrowful but great note. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otm4RusESNU

Favorite song: The Other Side

40. Vanden Plas - Christ 0 (2006)

Genre: Progressive Metal

Here's another newcomer to my collection... Except it isn't quite new. When I joined DT.net in 2006, there were 2 albums that were all the buzz: 10,000 Days and Christ 0.. Oh and some live album was being talked about as well. Can't remember the band though. Sleep Arena or something. Anyway, I tried 10,000 Days, and it was eh. I actually bought it, but never made it through the whole thing. I've heard most of it. The nifty packaging was all fucked up too. Then shortly after I bought it they rereleased it with better packaging. What the fuck? Huh? Oh right, Vanden Plas. So I didn't give Christ 0 a listen until 2010, but just put it on and was doing something else not really paying attention. It didn't sound that interesting. Fast forward like a month ago, my co-worker walks by me and says, "VANDEN PLAS" "Huh?" "Vanden Plas, have you heard of them?". It took me a few seconds to figure out what the hell he was asking since I was half asleep, but I was like, "oh Vanden Plas, yeah I've listened to Christ 0 a while back." So after that I decided to give it another chance, and it was ok. Nothing wrong with it. Decent prog Metal. I listened again the next day, and it started sounding better. After maybe the 3rd or 4th listen the album finally clicked, and what a great click. I'm really glad I gave this album another chance, 'cause it is truly something special. Usually I tend to avoid all the popular stuff being talked about as it tends to get over hyped for me. When I discover something on my own, it always has a greater impact. This happened with Stone Sour's Come What (Ever) May. My brother's like "listen to this, it's awesome". So I did, and was like "eh". Months later I decided to give it a go again, and was like 'this is awesome". So yeah, Christ 0 is a pretty awesome album. Great melodies, great instrumentation, great vocals. I'd say check it out, but I think everyone on the forum has heard it already.

Favorite song: Somewhere Alone in the Dark

39. Mercenary - The Hours That Remain (2006)

Genre: Melodic Death Metal/Progressive Metal

I don't really remember how I discovered this album, it might have been someone else's list. Who knows, but I have tried out Mercenary before with 11 Dreams, but I didn't like it. The Hours That Remain is a huge improvement, but that might be due to the overall clean vocals on the album. Not many bands, OK only one band can get my attention when growls are prominent throughout an album, but we'll get to that later. There are some metalcoreish style vocals, but they actually don't sound awful. The album itself is awesome. Heavy Fucking Metal throughout with great vocal melodies. The production is that "wall of sound" style that is just relentless, but for a band like Mercenary it's required. I've listened to some of their other albums that came after The Hours That Remain, but they really can't touch the quality of it. Their newest album was pretty good though. Great album. Go listen.

Favorite song: Lost Reality

38. Delain - April Rain (2009)

Delain were another one of those Beauty and the Beast bands who realized that that style is tired and old and boring [citation needed] and for their next album decided to have 99% clean female vocals. Good job Delain, I'm proud of you. Besides, any band with Charlotte Wessels should always give her the spotlight. Delain changed their style to a more poppish Symphonic Rock and Metal, and it really was for the better. Although I did enjoy the songs they played live from the first album, I couldn't get through Lucidity. It bored me. The music on April Rain is more alive, and interesting as are the melodies and such. Charlotte is great and her accent bleeds through which makes her voice more attractive. Virtue and Vice is the only song to feature any growls and they only appear in the bridge. Marco Hietala of Nightwish makes another cameo appearance on a couple of songs, and it's always great to hear his voice. I'm glad I finally gave Delain a chance because I initially wrote them off as soon as I found out there were growls. The band only got better...

Favorite song: On The Other Side

New albums tonight!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 07:18:48 PM by Zook »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Zook's Top 50 Albums 2014 PT 2 and a Half: The Reboot (Page 2)
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2014, 08:41:01 PM »
37. Pyramaze - Legend of the Bone Carver (2006)

Last time Pyramaze was on my list it was their album Immortal, featuring Matt Barlow. I had said that it was one of the best Power Metal albums I've ever heard, and that's still true, but while I love most of the songs on Immortal, there honestly are a couple duds. So that being said, I've decided that I do in fact enjoy their previous effort, Legend of the Bone Carver more as it's solid all the way through. Now, the album title is pretty cheesy and I'd be lying if I said the album itself wasn't too, but it's that good kind of cheesy. It's the basic story of good vs. evil, but told rather well, and that's something that a lot of Power Metal bands just can't do, and why I don't enjoy a lot of Power Metal anymore. Another factor of why this album works and others don't is the vocals. Lance King tears it up, and it was really quite a shame as to why he left the band, cause he was a great fit. The concept is rather easy to follow so I'll refrain from telling it. I love the addition of the female vocals in She Who Summoned Me. It really adds a nice touch. Legend of the Bone Carver has great hooks, is heavy, and is just an all around fun album to listen to. Most Power Metal sucks, a lot of the more popular stuff too, but this album is great.

Favorite song: The Birth

36. Sins In Vain - Enemy Within (2010)

Genre: Alternative Gothic Metal with sprinkles of Thrash (totally a real genre)

Ok, I literally just discovered this band like 3 days ago so this album being on my top 50 and this high might seem odd to some of you, but this is a great album. Sadly they already split up, and even more sadly, it's almost impossible to find this album for purchase. Amazon has the mp3s, and there is one site that is supposedly selling a physical copy, but I bought Within Temptation's Hydra yesterday, and I should have ordered this instead. Hailing from Sweden, Sins in Vain were a female fronted Gothic Metal band who I'd say were a mixture of Evanescence and Flyleaf I suppose. No shitty screams though. Some might say the vocals don't match the intensity of the music, but I disagree. Linnèa Renholm Persson does a fine job of keeping up with the heavy, and well, not every female singer needs to be Floor Jansen. The songs are more on the melancholic side, but really catchy, and as I said, really heavy. Apparently Peter Wildoer assisted with drum duties. I read that on Encyclopedia Metallum so I don't know how true that is. Like I said, there is almost nothing on the web about this band. They recorded this amazing album and then got abducted by aliens or something. The album is $5.99 on Amazon mp3 so it's definitely in Wolfking's price range as he buys tons of albums and doesn't even listen to them. :biggrin:

Favorite song: Frozen

35. Touchstone - Wintercoast (2009)

Genre: Progressive Rock/Metal

I discovered Touchstone while doing my daily browsing, and came across their newest album Oceans of Time. That album is killer. But Wintercoast was the next album of theirs I checked out and it's quite brilliant as well. Opening with a narrative by Jeremy freakin' Irons, we're introduced to the story of Wintercoast which I'm still trying to figure out, but Anyway, the title track is immense. Clocking in at 10 minutes, it's a roller coaster ride of melodies and riffs. It's a real heavy hitter. If you're unfamiliar with Touchstone, they actually have 2 lead singers, one male, one female. Both of which are amazing. Kim Seviour is more of the folky singer songwriter type, while Rob Cottingham draws his influences from Pink Floyd, having a bit of David Gilmore in his voice, but not sounding quite like him. Either way, both vocalists mix perfectly together creating great diversity. Oh, and dat bass. One of my favorite elements of Touchstone, the bass playing. The bass cuts through the music with such a great tone, and just sounds amazing. Back to the songs, the single rocker Strange Days is actually a great introduction to the band and their sound. Voices gives a more atmospheric tone while Line in the Sand is more soft, but picks up towards the end with some Steve Harris style bass work and heavier keyboard driven solo spot. My favorite on the album and probably my favorite Touchstone song is The Witness. Divided into two parts, this is a beautiful piece of music. The first part has a heavy Pink Floyd vibe and is a great set up to the more stripped back part 2. The song is about (as far as I can tell) a man who witnesses a car accident, but doesn't do anything about it, and later finds out that the woman involved has died, and now he deeply regrets not doing anything to help. It's pretty deep, and the music helps bring out those emotions as much as the vocals. The climax of the song features some beautiful lead guitar work too. The guitars in general of Touchstone are awesome and the guy knows how to shred. Touchstone really is an amazing band, and quite honestly, all their albums could make my list. You'll be doing yourself a great service to check out this great band's body of work.

Favorite song: The Witness

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Zook's Top 50 Albums 2014 PT 2 and a Half: The Reboot (Page 2) #37-35
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2014, 10:11:16 PM »
First off... what's with the 'reboot'.  How was it different (I'm not going back and comparing it manually).

Second... Pyramaze is awesome.  Both albums.  I thank you for those.  If that really is a real genre, you lost me at "Alternative Gothic".  and I swear I recognize Touchstone.  I think Nick has played them on his radio show.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2014, 10:46:51 PM »
I think somebody sent you a Touchstone track early in your roulette (maybe?)

I really like that Touchstone album, but my goodness it is one of the hottest masterings I've ever heard. 
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »
First off... what's with the 'reboot'.  How was it different (I'm not going back and comparing it manually).

Second... Pyramaze is awesome.  Both albums.  I thank you for those.  If that really is a real genre, you lost me at "Alternative Gothic".  and I swear I recognize Touchstone.  I think Nick has played them on his radio show.

Alyson Avenue and Trillium are no longer in my top 50.

Do you not like Evanescence? I'd consider them to be Alternative (somewhat) Gothic.

You should recognize Touchstone. I sent you The Witness in your roulette, you turd.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2014, 11:30:49 PM »
I really like that Touchstone album, but my goodness it is one of the hottest masterings I've ever heard. 

I think the mastering is fine. I can actually listen to it and enjoy it without my ears bleeding. Can't say the same for Queensryche's new one. That is the hottest mastering I've ever heard.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2014, 11:46:41 PM »
I noticed that mine was made/distributed in 2012, so maybe it has a different mastering than yours.  It is VERY audible in several places.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2014, 02:09:10 AM »
I noticed that mine was made/distributed in 2012, so maybe it has a different mastering than yours.  It is VERY audible in several places.

If yours is a digipak then we both have the rerelease, which I think was also remastered, but even if it was remastered too loud, and I won't argue it is loud, it never bothered me. Lorenguard's debut is pretty freakin' loud too, but still isn't as loud as Queensryche.

The thing about Queensryche is if you turn it down, it's too low. There's no middle point where the audio is at a good volume.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2014, 06:20:53 AM »

Alyson Avenue and Trillium are no longer in my top 50.

Do you not like Evanescence? I'd consider them to be Alternative (somewhat) Gothic.

You should recognize Touchstone. I sent you The Witness in your roulette, you turd.

Evanescence... don't care for them too much.  Nothing horrible, but I never did anything more than listen to whatever I happened to come across.

Touchstone... I know, I was just trollin ya.  :pr:  I did actually listen thru the whole album.  It was ok, but nothing I'd go back to intentionally.  Although, Nick has played tracks from Discordant Dreams that I liked.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2014, 12:31:34 PM »
Haven't heard any of these besides Green Carnation.  :biggrin:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2014, 02:46:01 AM »
37. Pyramaze - Legend of the Bone Carver (2006)

Last time Pyramaze was on my list it was their album Immortal, featuring Matt Barlow. I had said that it was one of the best Power Metal albums I've ever heard, and that's still true, but while I love most of the songs on Immortal, there honestly are a couple duds. So that being said, I've decided that I do in fact enjoy their previous effort, Legend of the Bone Carver more as it's solid all the way through. Now, the album title is pretty cheesy and I'd be lying if I said the album itself wasn't too, but it's that good kind of cheesy. It's the basic story of good vs. evil, but told rather well, and that's something that a lot of Power Metal bands just can't do, and why I don't enjoy a lot of Power Metal anymore. Another factor of why this album works and others don't is the vocals. Lance King tears it up, and it was really quite a shame as to why he left the band, cause he was a great fit. The concept is rather easy to follow so I'll refrain from telling it. I love the addition of the female vocals in She Who Summoned Me. It really adds a nice touch. Legend of the Bone Carver has great hooks, is heavy, and is just an all around fun album to listen to. Most Power Metal sucks, a lot of the more popular stuff too, but this album is great.

Favorite song: The Birth

This album is absolutely incredible.  Their best work IMO.

Second... Pyramaze is awesome.  Both albums.

They have 3 albums.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2014, 09:10:11 AM »
Forsaken Kingdom was the only song I could get into on Melancholy Beast.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2014, 11:12:55 AM »

They have 3 albums.

Well suck me sideways, so they do!  Is it worth getting?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2014, 07:12:52 PM »

They have 3 albums.

Well suck me sideways, so they do!  Is it worth getting?

Matt Barlow wasn't a great fit for the band.  I actually didn't give it many spins, but it didn't really do much for me.  I might get the cd out and have a spin.  Definitely a listen before you buy scenario here.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2014, 07:16:40 PM »
I'm not sure but I have a feeling Chad is missing the first Melancholy Beast (by "both" I think  he meant 2nd and 3rd)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2014, 05:51:23 AM »
Well I wouldn't necessarily call Evanescence gothic, more like pop metal, but I'll check out Sins In Vain regardless.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2014, 10:36:38 AM »
What constitutes as Gothic? I'm not really quite sure anymore.

More updates :soon:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2014, 12:29:50 PM »
I'm not sure but I have a feeling Chad is missing the first Melancholy Beast (by "both" I think  he meant 2nd and 3rd)

Bingo.  I have Legend and Immortal.  I downloaded the three free tracks from their website for Melancholy Beast, and will have a go at it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2014, 01:58:45 PM »
34. Into Eternity - The Scattering Of Ashes (2006)

Genre: Melodic Death/Power Metal

Coming in at #34 is the real life version of KrotchRaut, Into Eternity. That is if KrotchRaut had insane high pitched wails and talent. Even though I much prefer the thicker, fuller production values of their previous album, Buried in Oblivion, that one had a few songs I didn't really care for. The Scattering of Ashes on the other hand is awesome from start to finish. As I mentioned with the production, it's very thin and all around cold feeling. The kick drum sounds like a snare drum, and the bass guitar is almost non existent. That alone might turn potential listeners away, but the songs more than make up for it. I actually heard of Into Eternity before Stu Block joined Iced Earth, but at the time I hated growls. Growls still mostly suck, but I was totally against them at the time. Plus, whatever song I heard sounded like a huge mess. So Timeless Winter was my first real introduction to the band, and it was pretty awesome. Into Eternity just does the growls and stuff the "right" way to my liking. Stu is able to effortlessly transition from growls to wails to shrieks and the music is sort of like Power Metal which keeps things from getting boring. Everything blends together brilliantly to create some heavy, intense, but melodic metal. RORORORO!

Favorite song: Timeless Winter

33. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (1988)

Genre: Heavy Metal

Iron Maiden's last truly great album before they took a decade off to make shitty music (Sorry Wolf) Seventh Son is a Metal masterpiece. It's apparently only a loose concept album, but the story is pretty clear to me. I always find that bands are the most inspired when they make concept albums. Sound wise, the album is a continuation of Somewhere in Time, but easing back on the synth. Present are all the trademark Maidenisms, galloping riffs, one line repeated choruses, Bruce Dickinson singing stuff. After ten years of being a fan, the album still sounds fresh to me. Infinite Dreams has the best instrumental section and manages to keep from being boring even with the lack of a chorus. Can I Play With Madness is silly, but it's not bad, people. The epic title track (aren't all title tracks pretty epic?) has a kick ass ripping solo section to close the song, and I also love to folky close to The Prophecy, another one that gets too much hate. I'm glad Maiden ended the 80s on a good note, cause it would take another 10 years before they returned to form, but they did manage to squeeze out a few good tunes in the 90s. Just not full albums.

Favorite song: Infinite Dreams

32. Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side (1995)

Genre: Power/Thrash/Speed Metal

Blind Guardian suffering from Roid Rage. That's the perfect way to describe this album. And it's awesome! I don't know what happened, but Hansi just decided he was going to start fucking screaming, and it worked. The songs are heavier, but still melodic and the band just tears it up. The majority of Blind Guardian's lyrics are fantasy, but the band stands out from other power metal acts because they manage to not make them so cheesy, and that goes for the music as well. Even on their next album which is a concept album based on Lord of The Rings lore, it still manages to have a serious tone... Except maybe Mirror Mirror. That song is pretty cheesy. It really wouldn't matter though on Imaginations, because I think a metal fan would be so busy rocking the fuck out to the music that they wouldn't notice or even mind some cheesy lyrics. There are also some religious themed lyrics, but don't go the preachy route. Actually, Hansi really only writes about two things: various fantasy and religion. Blind Guardian is all about soaring solos, and they are ever present here. The style of this album was ex drummer Thomen Stauch's favorite and something he wanted to keep doing, so when he left the band after A Night at the Opera he created a new band called Savage Circus, which is basically a Blind Guardian clone band, but has the exact music and even vocal style of Imaginations From The Other Side. It's a pretty good album, and would be a great follow up to Imaginations if they kept going that route, although it would be more of the same. If you've never heard Blind Guardian, this might be the best place to start. The album is one of a kind, and their style would soon change drastically... Except for the solos, there would still be lots and lots of soloing. :metal

Favorite song: And The Story Ends