Author Topic: Zook's Top 50 v. Screw it, here's #13-1!  (Read 15966 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Zook's Top 50 v. Screw it, here's #13-1!
« on: January 26, 2014, 11:22:37 AM »
Hello folks and welcome to the second installment of my Top 50 albums thread, almost two years in the making. First I'd like to address my previous list. Simply put, it was a farce. Most of it anyway. Quite frankly, I didn't have 50 albums to complete it so there were several albums that kind of just took up the vacant spots. Not to say those albums weren't great, but they wouldn't make my top 50, if I'm going by the "rules" of course. Also, some albums were higher on the list based on nostalgia, so you'll see a couple drastic drops in the list of the returning albums. And yes, there will be several repeat offenders, but they're my favorite albums so there.

As I said, my first list was nostalgia based, so for this one, more recent albums I've fallen in love with will be way higher than those I've loved for years, simply because over time, those albums lose that spark. This is certainly not the case for all of my old favorites as my top ten will be SPOILER ALERT very similar to my last list. Only one band has more than 2 entries on the list. I wanted to follow that 2 album per band rule, and plus with the new additions, there simply wasn't room for more than 2 albums per band.

Over the coarse of 2013 I really fell in love with female fronted metal, so the title is a reference to that. Not all the female fronted bands on the list are metal bands however. OK, here we go. I hope you enjoy the new list, and if you think it's too much of a retread, well screw you, it's still better than Ghostbusters 2!

LIST MODIFIED ON PAGE 2

50. Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness (2002)

Genre: Progressive/Doom Metal

Returning for the sequel, but unfortunately not getting a bigger role is Green Carnation's monster 60 minute masterpiece, Light of Day, Day of Darkness. This song/album is just epic beyond scale. That being said, as awesome as the song is, I only listen to it a few times a year. Not to knock the rest of the epic, but the song really reaches it's peak at the 16 minute mark, but then that only lasts for 2 minutes. If the whole song had the same intensity, it'd be much higher, but as it is, it sits nicely at #50. Fans of dark atmospheric Doom Metal will love this. It's quite a journey. Check it out.

49. HolyHell - HolyHell (2009)

Genre: Power Metal

Power Metal is a waning genre for me, but sometimes I come across a gem like HolyHell's self titled debut. As an added bonus the band contains female powerhouse Maria Breon. Her name might not have any significance as she isn't associated with any other known bands, but she has pipes that will make Ann Wilson blush. I'm picky about my female singers. A lot of symphonic or goth bands tend to have the Tarja style Operatic female vocals that I just don't care for anymore. I can listen to old Nightwish, but Tarja clones are to strong, and not pleasant. I much prefer the sweet and beautiful styles like Sharon of Within Temptation. Maria has the sweet and beautiful along with ear piercing wails and also a sinister tone as well. She's the full package. But what about the band? The music is a mix of classic Heavy metal and Power metal in the vein of Manowar, and although I'm not a fan nor am I familiar with Manowar, I can't deny how awesome their ex-drummer, Rhino sounds on this album. I like to compare HolyHell to Mystic Prophecy. Both bands are all about heaven, hell, angels, demons, fire, hell, hell, hell. The difference being that HolyHell has WAAAAYY better lyrics... And a better singer. My favorite song on the album is actually the ballad, The Fall, which is the case for a lot of albums, but it showcases just how great Maria is. Apparently they are keeping with the Hell theme for their next album, but I hope they do vary it up a little bit as it can get repetitive with the lyrics after a while. If you like Heavy Power Metal with symphonic elements, try this album out.

Favorite song: The Fall

48. Alyson Avenue - Presence of Mind (2009)

Genre: Melodic Rock/AOR

I found out about this band when Annette joined Nightwish. This album > Dark Passion Play. Anyway, I always liked that 80s sound like Pat Benatar (even if I don't actively listen to her), and Alyson Avenue is basically a nod to Pat and the likes. Annette sounds a bit different than she does on her Nightwish albums, but still sounds great nonetheless. The music is great, but don't expect anything groundbreaking. It's Solid modernized 80s rock music, but the main focus are the catchy vocal melodies. If you aren't a fan of love songs, be warned. All 11 tracks are on the subject, but that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed. I'm not a fan of the love lovey love love stuff, but it works for something like this. It's AOR after all. Lend it your ear.

Favorite song: One Touch

Honorable mention:
Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway (2004)
Genre: Pop
This album was on my list for a little while. I've known about Clarkson for years (who hasn't) and heard all the singles from this album (again, who hasn't) but I hadn't decided to give the whole album a listen until I heard the track Hear Me on my girlfriend's shuffle. She was listening to her stuff and I was like "Who's this". It's an exceptional Pop Rock track and the whole album is pretty good. Unfortunately the hype has died down and while I can still acknowledge it as a good album, it just wouldn't make my top 50.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:33:46 AM by Zook »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Zook's Top 50 PT 2: When Boobs and Metal Unite
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 01:29:43 PM »
Green Carnation is the only one I've heard, but it's excellent.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 01:58:27 PM »
I like the songs Breakaway and Since U Been Gone.  Lovely stuff.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 02:02:10 PM »
I haven't listened to GC in a while, but I will be following this list and checking out some of your listings for sure!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 03:00:40 AM »
Green Carnation is the only one I've heard, but it's excellent fucking amazing.

Made number 16 on my list I think, it's just perfect.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 06:40:44 AM »
I checked out the GC album again and it's still as good as I remember it.  They remind me of Anathema in some aspects.  The other two albums, though, I could do without. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 06:45:40 AM »
Following and shit.

HolyHell sounds interesting.  Checked out Alyson Avenue after your last Top 50.  Good stuff.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 06:06:11 PM »
47. Trillium - Alloy (2011)

Genre: Hard Rock/Metal

Mmmm Amanda Somerville aghaghaghagh Oh sorry... Yes... Trillium. Alloy. Flower Metal. Right. Um good band. Amanda Somerville, Beautiful... Ok so she mainly stays behind the scenes as a producer, lyrical editor, choir arranger, back up singer, but she also has a solo career, and now a metal band. Trillium is good, but has the potential to be great. I wouldn't say the music is lacking, maybe I would, it's not the most exciting, but gets the job done. heavy riffs, shred solos. The album isn't balls to the wall all the way through. There are some songs more akin to her second solo album Windows, which we'll get to later (Spoilers). Amanda sounds wonderful with the heavy backdrop and is the perfect kind of female vocalist for a metal band. Jorn lande makes a cameo in the song, Scream It, which like a lot of the songs has dark and angry/angsty lyrics. He sounds great as usual. All in all, Alloy is a good album to rock out to, has some great melodies, and of course AMANDA SOMERVILLE. No bias I swear. I really hope she's able to come out with another album 'cause like I said, there is so much potential.

Favorite song: Coward

46. Missy Higgins - The Sound of White (2004)

Genre: Pop/singer-songwriter

Another mainstay on the list, The Sound of White is a solid album that is far removed from what I normally listen to, but when the Metal Lake goes dry, I have to search somewhere else. I can thank my girlfriend for introducing me to Missy Higgins 'cause otherwise I would never have heard of her. I'm sure Blob would love that. Truth is, I'll listen to anything if it has a good melody and isn't annoying. Missy writes good feel good tunes and really deserves more attention outside of Australia. Her more upbeat songs like Scar and This is How it Goes can be compared to The Goo Goo Dolls to give you an idea of her sound. Her second album, On A Clear Night almost made the list, but there are a couple duds on it. I'd still recommend listening to it though. Her third album sucks though. I don't like the direction she went. If you like acoustic pop rock that isn't TOO poppy, check this album out.

Favorite song: The Special Two

45. Harvest - Chasing Time (2012)

Genre: Progressive Rock

Another female fronted band, Harvest plays in a similar style to Marillion, who are like their heroes. With their second album, Harvest rock out a bit more this time but are still acoustically driven. Singer Monique Van Der Kolk's pleasant voice is a great compliment to the music. She's not your typical goth or symphonic singer, but more of a folkish style. One of my favorite songs, Intuition has a Porcupine Tree vibe (think Trains) driven by acoustic guitar and a great outro solo. As you might guess, all the songs on Chasing Time are about time in some way. The Machine being about a time machine. Subtle. If you're still reading this, I really suck at write ups. I've listened to this album several times, and I just can't figure out how to describe it. Acoustic rock mixed with folk and progressive elements. There we go. If you like atmospheric Folk Prog, Take a gander. I caught a cold and have writers block. What's your excuse? Oh you know what, the closer, Stars is amazing. Easily my favorite.

Favorite song: Stars

Sorry guys, please bare with me. I hope there's something in my write ups that spark some interest, but this is the part I don't look forward to with my list. I thought rank the albums was bad.

Fuck the flu. I was supposed to have another 3 albums done today besides these.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »
Alloy was a bit of a 'meh' album musically (as you kind of allude to).  Somerville is excellent as is to be expected.  Don't know the other two.

You're writeups don't suck, they're just all over the place.  Pop some Ritalin. 
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 06:37:49 PM »
YOU POP SOME RITALIN YOU BALD BASTARD!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 06:40:38 PM »
Amanda is amazing but I wasn't too crazy about Trillium.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 07:52:18 PM »
I love The Sound of White. xo

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 08:20:50 PM »
That Green Carnation album I've heard mention of, and it's been on my list of stuff to listen to considering the praise it gets.

Following and stuff.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 09:24:11 PM »
Harvest is great. Nice to see them on your list.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 09:33:55 PM »
YOU POP SOME RITALIN YOU BALD BASTARD!

Reported as offensive.  I was not conceived out of wedlock!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 09:41:27 PM »
Harvest is definitely great.  Good album.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 10:39:46 PM »
Following.  Don't know any of these bands so far.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 03:52:41 AM »
That Trillium album is actually really good.  I'm not normally a big fan of the female metal vocal thing, but that album is pretty slammin.

Interesting to see Missy Higgins, didn't know she was that well known outside of Australia.  Not a fan, but she does what she does really well.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 09:43:17 AM »
Your write-up made me listen to a few songs by Harvest and I liked them :tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 04:03:07 PM »
:tup

I'll try to have three more today. I slept all day. Haven't been this sick in a long time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 04:19:28 PM »
I told you not to listen to Dystopia!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 04:22:56 PM »
 ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 04:30:18 PM »

lol DAMN YOU SCHAFFER!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 04:31:41 PM »
On a positive note, the new album is still kicking my ass.  :tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 04:40:36 PM »
Crazy huh?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 05:36:04 PM »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 06:01:09 PM »
NUMBER FORTY FOUR

44. Nemesea - The Quiet Resistance (2011)

Genre: Symphonic Rock/Metal

Here's a band I happened upon just browsing my... Sources... And was like Hey these guys are pretty good. Nemesea started out as a dime a dozen Beauty and the Beast band, but on the very next album In Control did a 180 and became an Electronica Rock Band. We'll get to that later. The Quiet Resistance opens with an annoying skipable intro that serves no purpose and then the synth soaked riffage of Caught in the Middle begins. A great opening rocker and great introduction to the powerful voice of Manda Ophuis. More about this song later. The rocking continues with Afterlife and Whenever and then the obligatory ballad, If You Could. High Enough features the lovely Charlotte Wessels of Delain (can't believe I forgot to bring this album when I saw them. I'm sure it would have gotten a big smile out of her) in a rocking duet with some clean male vocals at the bridge rocking it Evanescence style. It's Over features some guest male vocals, and honestly, one of the guys sounds like Chad Kroeger. Not bad though. The melodies are great, my favorite being in the pre-chorus. My favorite song on the album surprise surprise is the second ballad, I Live. Beautiful song. Manda has such a great voice. The last few songs have a bit of a Linkin Park vibe to them. Not bad, maybe a bit too blatant at times. The closing track is an instrumental which definitely screams Linkin Park, but also dates itself as it's about the 2012 apocalypse which of course is now irrelevant. The bonus track which I'm pretty sure is on every release anyway is an homage to Rammstein. Apparently while making the song, it was giving off a Rammstein vibe so they just brought in a Rammstein tribute band singer, and made the lyrics in German. Decent song.

Why is this so low? Let's go back to Caught in the Middle. The bridge. Manda's voice breaks constantly during this short section and it really puzzles me why they didn't do another take. It's so off putting that I made an edit cutting out the whole bridge. Flows nicely I must say. Another thing, the drums are kinda boring. I don't think I'm spoiled by prog, but the guy could have done a few more things within some of the songs, but he kinda just keeps the beat.  That being said, if you like Symphonic Rock, or Evanescence and Linkin Park, check this out. Great stuff.

Favorite song: I Live

43. Amanda Somerville - Windows (2009)

Genre: Singer-songwriter/Rock

The last album on the list to feature the bodacious, babelicious Amanda Somerville. This time not so metal. Honestly I'd rather her release another solo album like this than Trillium. Windows is a bit of a genre mash-up album and that's good, but some songs don't leave as great a mark. While mostly being Soft Rock, there are a couple rockers like Inner Whore which is great. She can be my... Um anyway, as I mentioned, this album is a hodge podge of genres including a lounge song. It's alright. Her voice is perfect for it though. She should really be more famous with a voice like that. Hey, you know what my favorite song is? The wedding ballad. Yeah, it's a wedding song, like it could be played at a wedding. I love it though. I love ballads. You can have my man card. I don't care. Songs like Path of Safe Return and Moth would do great on Contemporary radio. Just really good tunes similar to say, Michelle Branch, without the Hetfieldisms. Windows is a definite improvement over her debut, and I hope she releases something again soon. It can only get better.

Favorite song: All That I Am

42. Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever (1989)

Genre: Rock & Roll

Remember those drastic drops I was talking about? Here's the first one. I've loved Tom Petty since I can remember. Dancing with my mom standing on her feet to the album is a great memory. So to have this as my number one album made sense, but then I took my nostalgia goggles off and while it's still a great album, it's not perfect as I thought for so many years. The first half is phenomenal. Side A is perfect. Side B however does drop in quality. Side A is all about rocking out, while side B takes a different turn into an almost country style at times. Still great songs mind you, but not up to snuff with Side A. After saying all that, I will say that Full Moon Fever is more consistent than anything he's done with The Heartbreakers. I have the Anthology and it's really all I need from Tom Petty. But if you like Tom, and somehow haven't heard this album, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?! Listen to it NAO. Also, be on the look out sometime in 2084 when KrotchRaut releases their version of Runnin' Down a Dream.  :metal :metal :metal

Favorite song: Side A

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 06:04:28 PM »
I've never heard that Amanda Sommerville one.  I should.

Tom Petty is cool, I like when his songs come on, but never really felt the urge to check his catalog.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 06:09:31 PM »

Tom Petty is cool, I like when his songs come on, but never really felt the urge to check his catalog.

1. Do it.

2. His singles are the best from him. I listened to Damn the Torpedoes on YouTube, which is one of his highest ranked albums, and it had a few stinkers on it. I'd say get the Anthology. It's pretty cheap nowadays, and includes stuff from Full Moon Fever too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 06:11:48 PM »
I probably should've given that Petty album a better chance (and him in general) but I found "I Won't Back Down" such an annoying song as a kid that I never did. 

Nemesea I like and the only stuff I've heard with Somerville is Trillium and the Kiske thing (which I didn't rate).   I'll track this one down for a listen.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:27:57 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 07:43:09 PM »

lol DAMN YOU SCHAFFER!!!

What a coincidence, I just listened to this to psyche me up for the new album.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 07:51:03 PM »
I've been days of raging all day in a tissu--

Nevermind.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2014, 08:39:29 PM »

:iagree:

I got my fill of this album when you couldn't go an hour without hearing him on some radio station back when it was released.  Not much of a fan of Petty's voice anyway.

Love that Nemesea album.  In Control and Mana do nothing for me, but this one is fantastic.  Made my Top 50 v2.  I discovered it at progstreaming.com, and just randomly clicked on this album.  One of the better finds I've gotten there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 03:49:06 AM »

lol DAMN YOU SCHAFFER!!!

What a coincidence, I just listened to this to psyche me up for the new album.

The new album slays Dystopia.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 06:58:49 PM »
41. The Offspring - Ignition (1992)

Genre: Punk Rock

Here's the other album that took a huge fall down the rankings. There's nothing wrong at all with this album. It's great from start to finish. THE BEST Offspring album. But as I said before, over time, I just like other albums and bands more nowadays. Ignition doesn't get the nostalgia treatment, The Offspring has just been off my radar. Plus them sucking now doesn't help anything. Anyway, Ignition is amazing melodic Punk Rock. Before they hit the mainstream and became a goofy rock band, The Offspring were writing some pretty mature music. Yeah, they still wrote the occasional goofy song, but the songs had more heart. They had something to prove. And they did, from the opening "fucks" of Session to the fade out of Forever and a Day, These guys played their hearts out. For serious songs, besides Gone Away, they've never been able to touch the brilliance and sadness of Dirty Magic. Just a powerful emotional song. Actually, this album has more serious songs than any other album of theirs. Dexter Holland is a great lyricist when he's not just trying to be funny. If your first introduction to The Offspring was say Americana (which is great) but you don't like the overall silliness, check out Ignition, or even Smash, or the debut. Great stuff.

Favorite song: Dirty Magic

40. Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction (1992)

Genre: Heavy/Thrash Metal

This album is a big part of my childhood as it was in my life before I was really even a fan of the band. My older brother was the big Metallica and Megadeth fan so besides hearing the singles on the radio in the early 90s, I was hearing the albums when my brother was blasting them. I didn't really become a fan of Megadeth as in buying their albums until the late 90s. I want to say the first Megadeth album I did buy was Risk, but it could have been Cryptic Writings. It's fuzzy, but I do remember only buying Risk because Ex Wrestler Goldberg used Crush 'Em as his entrance for a while. I remember Megadeth playing live on WCW Nitro and after the song ended Goldberg returned. Cool stuff. But enough about that shitty song. What about Countdown to Extinction? Well, it showed Megadeth becoming more mainstream and straightforward Metal rather than the Thrash they were playing before. Rust in Peace was decent, half good half suck, so I think it was time Dave changed things up. It worked. Symphony of Destruction might be simple, but it's a solid metal rocker. lol metal rocker. Anyway, it's certainly not the best on the album, but a great introduction to their new sound. I'm sure there were riots when fans heard the ballady Foreclosure of a Dream, but it's a great song. Sweating Bullets is hilariously fun song. Proof that Megadeth (at the time) hadn't lost their thrash is Ashes in Your Mouth. My favorite on the album, and my favorite Megadeth over all. The song slays. There are a few filler songs on here, but they aren't bad. All in all, this album owns, and is essential to anyone's metal collection.

Favorite song: Ashes in Your Mouth

39. Sirenia - Nine Destinies and a Downfall (2007)

Genre: Symphonic Gothic Metal/Rock

This album is relatively new to me, and unfortunately the only album of theirs I'm gonna like, which is weird cause research has told me that this is the most hated from Sirenia fans. It is a drastic change in their sound, but that's what makes it great to me. I'm not a fan of Beauty and the Beast bands. They bore me, and the growls ruin what might be good songs. While this album does have growls, they're only on 3 songs, and they're actually done well and don't detract from the songs. I remember when I would have never said that. Thanks Obama KrotchRaut! Monika Pedersen has a unique voice, but it's quite nice. The songs pretty much all follow the same formula. In a perfect world, all of these songs could be radio singles. What can I say, I'm a sucker for well written hooks. Mainstream music isn't all bad. Mostly bad, but not all bad. One minor flaw is that the songs after a while sort of start to sound the same because of their formulaic nature. Not the melodies, it's just the songs are sort of predictable. Except the closing ballad, Glades of Summer. That changes it up to end the album on a sorrowful but great note. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otm4RusESNU

Favorite song: The Other Side