Author Topic: Photos of ORIGINAL center labels for vinyl version of AWAKE needed  (Read 2628 times)

Offline EnjoyTheRide

Hi Everyone,

As you likely know , I run enjoy the ride records and we are in the process of doing some more Dream Theater re-issues later this year. Due to some of the contractual obligations, we need to re-create the original center labels exact. The issue is that I do not have an original copy and as you guys know, they are very hard to come by. I was hoping someone on the board had a copy and could send me high quality pictures of the original center labels. my email address is Enjoytheriderecords@gmail.com     If anyone can help out it would be much appreciated and help speed up the process for these re-issues to be out.  As likely seen on this board in prior months,  we are not only working on a DELUXE COLOR 180 gram Re-issue of AWAKE but also Falling Into Infinity. Both should be out by the summer!    Due to high demand and absurd ebay prices lately,  We are also working on a small (1000 copy) repress of Metropolis pt 2: scenes from a memory. That one will be out sooner, likely by april and will be again on 180 gram black vinyl but no hand numbering this time out.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Photos of ORIGINAL center labels for vinyl version of AWAKE needed
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 02:28:40 AM »
Calling ZeppelinDT...

You should send a personal message to him.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 03:14:06 AM »
What is up the all the resurgence of records lately?  I blame the hippies.  I have DT 12 on vinyl, but there is no way I'm investing in a record player.  I bought the box set for the stems.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 03:49:05 AM »
I call a copy of Awake on vinyl my own (german version, is there even another one?). I'm not much of a photographer though, but I can give it a try and send some pictures to you. (By 'center labels' you mean the labels in the middle of the actual records, right?)

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 06:18:19 AM »
I have an original German copy of Awake(the only version that exists as far as I know) being shipped to me. If you still need photos when I get it I'll be happy to take some. I'm such a fanboy that I'll buy the Enjoy The Ride reissue too  :laugh:. I loved both Scenes From A Memory and Images Words that you guys did.

What is up the all the resurgence of records lately?  I blame the hippies.  I have DT 12 on vinyl, but there is no way I'm investing in a record player.  I bought the box set for the stems.

Analog sound destroys digital, at least to my ears. If you don't have a turntable and aren't into records why post in this thread just to complain?

"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Shine

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 09:16:28 AM »

People have a confirmation bias with analog sound. They see a record and associate it with higher quality; they see a CD or digital file and associate it with lower quality. The fact is, when audiophiles are subjected to a blind test and asked to distinguish between analog and high-quality digital recordings, they can't. They're indistinguishable.

That's not to say that they should prefer one over the other, they should still listen to whatever system they like more. It's a placebo. They think analog systems sound better, so to them they do sound better. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if you conducted a blind test and told someone who prefers analog systems that they were listening to a vinyl record, but actually had them listen to a digital recording, they would prefer that to a vinyl recording that they were told was a digital file. It's all in the head.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:31:25 PM by Shine »
lake of fire

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 10:16:06 AM »
Analog sound destroys digital, at least to my ears. If you don't have a turntable and aren't into records why post in this thread just to complain?
I don't think he's complaining, just curious about why vinyls have became popular, again. I think it's just a trend, because pages like HDTracks and cheaper stereos and mass storages will make it disappear, again. But if the remaining DT discography isn't going to be released on HDTracks, I'll have to buy the vinyls. And a turntable. And good speakers. And sell my house so I can pay everything.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 10:18:38 AM »
I don't think HDTracks will have any real affect on vinyl sales, since people who buy vinyl are, by and large, interested in physical media.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 11:47:51 AM »
You can get basic record players pretty cheap these days.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 12:18:12 PM »
When CDs came out, the music industry did a quick cash grab by wholesale transferring vinyl records to CD, often with inferior equipment and a horrendous EQ on top (to showcase CDs' ability of playing high frequencies that vinyls quickly lose over time).
So, for the first few years there were some really bad-sounding CDs out there, and they gave CDs that bad name.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 01:58:04 PM »
I don't think he's complaining, just curious about why vinyls have became popular, again. I think it's just a trend, because pages like HDTracks and cheaper stereos and mass storages will make it disappear, again. But if the remaining DT discography isn't going to be released on HDTracks, I'll have to buy the vinyls. And a turntable. And good speakers. And sell my house so I can pay everything.

He said "I blame the hippies" and "there's no way I'm investing in a record player." Sounds like useless bitching to me.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 04:50:28 PM »
Actually, I was doing both.   (1) I was bitching because this trend in records seems popular for the sake of being retro and hipster.  (2) and yes, I am also curious about what I might be missing out on in terms of sonic quality, expressed in a less than eloquent way.  Isn't there a bunch of added white noise (hissing, pops) on vinyl?  That's the way I remember them.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 04:59:56 PM »
Some people like the pops and hisses. I'm not a vinyl fan, and have no interest in it really, but I doubt most people are into it just to be "retro and hipster" as you say. I'm sure there are some who are, but most who buy vinyl do it because they prefer vinyl.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 06:44:21 PM »
If was a hipster I wouldn't be into vinyl, that's so 2009. It would be 8 tracks or something in 2014.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 06:46:10 PM »
it's all about the gramophone bro

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 06:53:28 PM »
Got it, all very interesting discussion.  I recall that the fallibility of records and the advent of CD was a question of durability.  CD's were intended to preserve the consistency of sound of the recording.  Vinyl and tapes wore out fast, and the sound suffered.   The normal Joe didn't want to delicately handle his music with white gloves.  That's why the resurgence of vinyl always seemed like a niche thing, which is fine.  It appeals to people who approach their music with a certain finesse. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
Yeah, it's just a matter of taste. I have considered buying some vinyl simply for the artwork, which is by far superior to CDs. But budgeting won out eventually. :P

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 07:10:12 PM »
it's all about the gramophone bro

Wax cylinders limited to six copies only.  :lol

Got it, all very interesting discussion.  I recall that the fallibility of records and the advent of CD was a question of durability.  CD's were intended to preserve the consistency of sound of the recording.  Vinyl and tapes wore out fast, and the sound suffered.   The normal Joe didn't want to delicately handle his music with white gloves.  That's why the resurgence of vinyl always seemed like a niche thing, which is fine.  It appeals to people who approach their music with a certain finesse. 

I have records that are 40+ years old that play perfectly, without skips or pops or warps, and sound wonderful. If you're not neanderthal or a child keeping your records in great shape is not difficult at all. Nowadays heavyweight vinyl is the standard and if a 180 or 200 gram record is played an even a marginally decent turntable it will last pretty much forever. I'm not gonna get into the audiophile analog vs. digital argument because that gets nowhere and is way off topic in this thread, but suffice to say I greatly prefer the sound of a vinyl record to anything else. 

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 11:13:03 AM »

People have a confirmation bias with analog sound. They see a record and associate it with higher quality; they see a CD or digital file and associate it with lower quality. The fact is, when audiophiles are subjected to a blind test and asked to distinguish between analog and high-quality digital recordings, they can't. They're indistinguishable.

That's not to say that they should prefer one over the other, they should still listen to whatever system they like more. It's a placebo. They think analog systems sound better, so to them they do sound better. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if you conducted a blind test and told someone who prefers analog systems that they were listening to a vinyl record, but actually had them listen to a digital recording, they would prefer that to a vinyl recording that they were told was a digital file. It's all in the head.

I must disagree. Certain albums absolutely sound better on vinyl than they do on MP3 or even CD format quality. Especially the first track on a vinyl, where the bass really stands out and the whole sound is very very loud and clear.

Offline TL

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 12:51:15 PM »

I must disagree. Certain albums absolutely sound better on vinyl than they do on MP3 or even CD format quality. Especially the first track on a vinyl, where the bass really stands out and the whole sound is very very loud and clear.
Digital has the potential to sound better than analog. There are just also detrimental things you can do with digital that you can't with vinyl, such as mastering too loudly (digital will clip but still play, whereas it can literally cause the needle to jump off of a record, and so it isn't done). It's not that vinyl definitively sounds better. It's that vinyl versions of albums tend to receive better mastering and such (especially when you consider when Vinyl and CD were at the height of their respective popularity, and recording trends at both times).

I like vinyl, but it's definitely more about the novelty for me.