Author Topic: Winter Olympics 2014  (Read 14060 times)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: Winter Olympics 2014
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2014, 09:21:08 AM »
Really? I can't help but feel like she's screaming in agony as her leg is snapping. ...then I remind myself she's holding her skis so it must not be that bad.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2014, 09:22:06 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

I thought she was celebrating and playing air guitar or something

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2014, 09:41:23 AM »
Probably is, but it looks so awkward.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2014, 10:04:57 AM »
I'm amazed at the stunts on the men's slopestyle final!  Daaaaamn!

Americans sweeping the podium is even more amazing!    :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jsem

« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2014, 04:21:48 AM »
MONSTROUS effort by Kalla to snatch the gold for Sweden in the XC relay. Absolutely fantastic.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2014, 04:22:37 AM »
Yeah, what a fantastic race! Our first gold medal! :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2014, 08:27:15 AM »
Way to represent the Blues Mr. Oshie! That was a great game to watch, makes me wish the NHL rinks had that additional 15 foot on the width. Much more fluid and smooth. Good win by USA against a Russian team who I still think is going to contend for the Gold medal.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2014, 12:37:36 PM »
Way to represent the Blues Mr. Oshie! That was a great game to watch, makes me wish the NHL rinks had that additional 15 foot on the width. Much more fluid and smooth. Good win by USA against a Russian team who I still think is going to contend for the Gold medal.

That was a great game.  Lucky break for USA on that disallowed goal.  Oshie was awesome.  On that last goal I was thinking 'how many more moves does he have?'
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2014, 03:04:42 PM »
MONSTROUS effort by Kalla to snatch the gold for Sweden in the XC relay. Absolutely fantastic.

This was amazing. I only turned it on for the last part and I was getting emotional :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »

That was a great game.  Lucky break for USA on that disallowed goal.  Oshie was awesome.  On that last goal I was thinking 'how many more moves does he have?'

Yeah, that was a lucky break. Glad it wasn't controversial.....a rule is a rule, but I'm glad it happened the way it did. And, Oshie is a very good SO shooter. That 5 hole shot he has is wicked because he has such quick hands plus he's able to conjure up some sick moves real quick when the 5 hole isn't there. But watching him over the past few seasons....it's near always the 5 hole shot in shoot outs and he's always about a 75-80% success rate.

Offline jsem

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2014, 07:40:46 PM »

This was amazing. I only turned it on for the last part and I was getting emotional :lol
It makes it so much better if you would know that the Norwegians had not lost any relay for five years, and an underdog won.

Norway had horrendous skis though, the waxing conditions had changed overnight because the organizers salted the tracks, but most waxing teams dealt with it fine.

For someone who follows cross-country skiing regularly, the thought of Norway not even making the podium in the women's relay was not even on the radar, barring a cardiac arrest from one of the skiers.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2014, 10:20:22 PM »
Kinda stupid how they used a half hour of "olympic coverage" to detail the history of USA/USSR space race.   ::)  Interesting history yes, but for a separate special, not in place of events.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2014, 10:37:25 PM »
I used to think ski jumping took balls. Then I started seeing some of these skeleton runs.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2014, 09:06:19 PM »
Did anyone else see that NBC interview (on American Television) of Bode Miller after he won the bronze in the Super G?  That interview was horrible!  She asked the same question like 4 times, mostly trying to get him to talk about his brother who passed away, and wouldn't let it go until he finally broke down and cried.  She's not just a bad reporter, she's a horrible human being.

If I could find a link to it I'd post it.  Sorry.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2014, 12:35:08 AM »
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1962741-bode-miller-brought-to-tears-during-post-race-interview-with-nbc

Apparently they had that footage for awhile and could've cut it out but didn't.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »
Did anyone else see that NBC interview (on American Television) of Bode Miller after he won the bronze in the Super G?  That interview was horrible!  She asked the same question like 4 times, mostly trying to get him to talk about his brother who passed away, and wouldn't let it go until he finally broke down and cried.  She's not just a bad reporter, she's a horrible human being.

Yeah, I saw that.  Some of those reporters are heartless, stupid muthafukas.  If she had a heart and a brain, she'd probably be doing something more constructive with her life.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2014, 11:03:19 AM »
I used to think ski jumping took balls. Then I started seeing some of these skeleton runs.

Skeleton is a sport where I always imagine the creator of it going "wait you guys are actually doing this? I WAS JOKING!"  :lol

I mean, you take a luge sled. Strip it down to nothing. Give it no way to really steer it. And for laughs, RIDE IT FACE DOWN.

Insane sport.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2014, 12:14:23 PM »

Yeah, I saw that.  Some of those reporters are heartless, stupid muthafukas.  If she had a heart and a brain, she'd probably be doing something more constructive with her life.

You mean like medaling in the Olympics in skiing?

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »
Yorost, anything else would be a vast improvement over trying to make athlete's cry on live television.  You name it.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »
She had an accomplished career in World Cup skiing and won an Olympic silver medal a year after receiving a bone graft. Here's her bio...

CHRISTIN COOPER
 Alpine Skiing Analyst

Christin Cooper, a two-time Olympian and Olympic silver medalist, returns as an alpine skiing analyst for NBC’s coverage of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi. This is Cooper’s third Olympics with NBC and her sixth as a broadcaster. Cooper earned her Olympic silver medal in the giant slalom at the 1984 Sarajevo Olympic Winter Games.

Cooper was America’s top finisher in the slalom and giant slalom (8th and 7th respectively) in her first Olympic appearance in the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Games. In 1982 she became the first American alpine skier in history to win three medals in a single World Championships, earning silvers in both the slalom and giant slalom and a bronze in combined. In her eight years on the U.S. Ski Team, Cooper was a six-time National Champion with five victories, 26 podiums and 65 top-ten finishes in World Cup competition. She retired after the 1984 Games.

Cooper’s charitable work in the war-torn Olympic host city of Sarajevo in the early ‘90’s earned her an induction into the World Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame in 1995.

You've decided to  make your comments about her based on what? ...have you known anything about her prior to this one interview? Terrible interview, but she's had at least some notable public spot light for almost 40 years and not done anything like this before (that I know of). Does one event in all of that time make her deserving of such harsh judgment?

Oh, and what about the whole production team? NBC did not have to air that, it's all on tape delay. They still did.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2014, 01:31:55 PM »
NBC and the reporter are both at fault.  She didn't have to keep pressing him on the issue like she did, and I expect shameless stuff like that outta NBC, so that didn't surprise me that they showed it.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2014, 01:51:44 PM »
maybe there was also a producer in her ear telling her to press the issue with Bode?  Wouldn't be the first time.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2014, 01:52:23 PM »
Let me be clear on this, I am in no way saying she doesn't deserve criticism for the interview.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »
I was thinking about how much better the Olympic Coverage would be if it was not just one network that had the rights to show it.  Imagine if NBC, CBS, ABC, ESPN, FOX, etc all had the ability to show the coverage.  NBC would certainly have to step up its game.  I would definitely expect it to not have the tape delay.  Or even the really stupid delay 1 hour delay on NBC (not NBCSN, USA, etc) that Mountain and Pacific time zones get (even when they have "live" events).  Those features they do on the Space Race, Siberia, or whatever fluff they do would likely only be an online/on demand feature.  They do all these annoying things because they know you can't do anything about it and they want to have you watching as long as possible.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2014, 02:41:26 PM »
She had an accomplished career in World Cup skiing and won an Olympic silver medal a year after receiving a bone graft. Here's her bio...

CHRISTIN COOPER
 Alpine Skiing Analyst

Christin Cooper, a two-time Olympian and Olympic silver medalist, returns as an alpine skiing analyst for NBC’s coverage of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi. This is Cooper’s third Olympics with NBC and her sixth as a broadcaster. Cooper earned her Olympic silver medal in the giant slalom at the 1984 Sarajevo Olympic Winter Games.

Cooper was America’s top finisher in the slalom and giant slalom (8th and 7th respectively) in her first Olympic appearance in the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Games. In 1982 she became the first American alpine skier in history to win three medals in a single World Championships, earning silvers in both the slalom and giant slalom and a bronze in combined. In her eight years on the U.S. Ski Team, Cooper was a six-time National Champion with five victories, 26 podiums and 65 top-ten finishes in World Cup competition. She retired after the 1984 Games.

Cooper’s charitable work in the war-torn Olympic host city of Sarajevo in the early ‘90’s earned her an induction into the World Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame in 1995.

You've decided to  make your comments about her based on what? ...have you known anything about her prior to this one interview? Terrible interview, but she's had at least some notable public spot light for almost 40 years and not done anything like this before (that I know of). Does one event in all of that time make her deserving of such harsh judgment?

Oh, and what about the whole production team? NBC did not have to air that, it's all on tape delay. They still did.

None of that really concerns me.  What matters is that the media should treat the athletes with consideration and respect.  Especially if some of them are former athletes.  To me, that makes her behavior just that much worse.  She not only made Miller feel bad, but also everyone that was watching it.   It's a shame because now she can't take it back.  I can't tell ya how bad I felt for the guy.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2014, 02:12:43 PM »

I saw this Russian figure skater dance on Sunday and I find her stunning!
Elena Ilinykh!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:50:04 AM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2014, 11:22:39 AM »
 OH HEY, FINLAND KNOCKED RUSSIA OUT IN MEN'S HOCKEY.

Suck it Russia, and I would looooooooooooove to see Finland play for Gold or Silver this time around.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:28:50 AM by Dark Castle »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2014, 11:39:24 AM »
A guaranteed medal in men's curling for Britain makes this their best Winter Olympics performance since 1936! They can do no worse than silver now. A bronze medal for the women would bevery nice as well.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2014, 12:03:43 PM »
USA rolling over Czechs!!! :metal
and fun fact...Jonathan Quick hails from my hometown of Milford CT!!!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2014, 12:09:33 PM »
If this were the Soviet days, you would never hear from the coaching staff of the hockey team again.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2014, 12:40:35 PM »
Suck it Russia

Pretty harsh, don't you think?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2014, 12:46:55 PM »
UK in 19th place :lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2014, 12:50:38 PM »

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2014, 12:57:11 PM »
Yeah, I could've thought of something a hundred times worse than that.   :lol

Anyway, the ice skating part of the Olympics isn't really my favorite.  I's just ok, but watching Davis and White take the gold in ice dancing the other night was really cool.  They have really mastered their craft almost to perfection.  Fantastic.

:clap:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2014, 01:15:07 PM »
Suck it Russia

Pretty harsh, don't you think?
Not really.

I'm with Dark Castle on this one.

And, barring an utter collapse choke job.....Team USA should beat Canada on Friday. Canada has not looked good to me at all. Where as, Team USA has looked more like a 'team' and have gotten stronger with each game and still hasn't played thier best. I'd say USA wins that game Friday 3-1, 4-2....something like that.