Author Topic: Winter Olympics 2014  (Read 13997 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: Winter Olympics 2014
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »
I understand what they article says BUT they don't know who is buying the tickets. I still think its the genuine hockey fan.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2014, 05:55:39 PM »
Sweden is the #1 ranked team according to the IIHF. I have no idea why you're not giving them any credit. They took care of their business, earned the top seed and have coasted into the gold medal game. At this point, I hope they beat Canada soundly.

I wanted the U.S. to beat Canada and win it all. Watching Oshie do what he did against Russia last week was one of the coolest things I've seen in sports. But today, The U.S. got shut out. So at this point it would take the combination of Sweden also getting shut out against Canada and the U.S. beating the bricks off of Finland to justify any of this U.S. is in the top two talk. Just my opinion.

It's not fair for me not to give Sweden credit.....they have like you said 'Taken care of their business' to get where they are. Their certainly formidable. I'm not sure how the IIHF ranks teams but I'd question it's accuracy if they didn't rank Canada #1. But they have no where near the level of talent that either Canada or USA has. Talent isn't everything and less talented teams have beaten more talented for sure.....but Canada and the US are the two best teams in the tournament. It sucks they aren't squaring off for Gold Sunday morning like it should be.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TL

« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2014, 07:09:38 PM »
Finland wins tomorrow! ;)

I can honestly say I could care less about the bronze medal game. Anything other than First Place (Gold Medal) is 2nd loser.......in any sport. Second, third....whatever, you're not the winner and winning is why you play. Actually, I'd ask the girls team if they want to play Finland tomorrow......I'd rather not take the chance on getting any of my NHL players hurt in an utterly meaningless game.

To me, this is the difference right here for how most of the world sees the Olympics vs how many Americans see them.
Not all Americans, but many.

For the rest of the world, we see it as the best of the best coming together for exciting competition, and may the best person/team win. Yes, you want your country to bring home the gold, but you want everyone else to bring their A game too, and when an athlete from another country wins, there's a level of respect there.
As well, if you get a silver or a bronze, that's still the second or third best in the entire world. That's fantastic!

Many Americans seem to view it as 'those durn other countries are takin' our medals! That's not right!'. Also, the attitude of 'only gold matters, silver and bronze are worthless' (which the US women's hockey team and one of your figure skaters were pretty blatant about) goes against the entire spirit of the games.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2014, 07:40:26 PM »
I don't see it as them 'taking' any of 'our' medals at all. If you win you've earned it. I 'personally' just think that anything other than First when your competing is a let down. I get what you're saying about the whole spirit of the games but to quote the great Nuke Laloosh "You know winning....it's like better than losing?"

Besides this is Hockey I'm speaking about....not skiing or ice skating where tenths of a tenth of a point separate First from Last. There are basically (5) good teams. 2nd or 3rd out of 5 pretty much sucks IMO. Gold is all that matters. Without the aid of google 90% of people couldn't tell you who won the Bronze medal in Hockey in 2010.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2014, 05:06:21 AM »
Without the aid of google 90% of people couldn't tell you who won the Bronze medal in Hockey in 2010.
Without the aid of Google I couldn't tell you who won the gold medal in hockey in 2010. Triumph, not glory. The Olympics are more about aspiration than gloating.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2014, 05:16:44 AM »

I can honestly say I could care less about the bronze medal game. Anything other than First Place (Gold Medal) is 2nd loser.......in any sport. Second, third....whatever, you're not the winner and winning is why you play. Actually, I'd ask the girls team if they want to play Finland tomorrow......I'd rather not take the chance on getting any of my NHL players hurt in an utterly meaningless game.

To me, this is the difference right here for how most of the world sees the Olympics vs how many Americans see them.

For the rest of the world, we see it as the best of the best coming together for exciting competition, and may the best person/team win. Yes, you want your country to bring home the gold, but you want everyone else to bring their A game too, and when an athlete from another country wins, there's a level of respect there.
As well, if you get a silver or a bronze, that's still the second or third best in the entire world. That's fantastic!

Many Americans seem to view it as 'those durn other countries are takin' our medals! That's not right!'. Also, the attitude of 'only gold matters, silver and bronze are worthless' (which the US women's hockey team and one of your figure skaters were pretty blatant about) goes against the entire spirit of the games.

That's the dumbest fallacy I have ever read.  No American thinks that we should get every medal.  That's ludicrous.  I sometimes think people think we are arrogant and when I read posts like this others need to see the irony.

If an Olympic athlete wins a medal from another country it is because they put many years of hard work to win that medal and are the best in the world and good for them.  They deserve it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2014, 05:38:09 AM »

That's the dumbest fallacy I have ever read.  No American thinks that we should get every medal.  That's ludicrous.  I sometimes think people think we are arrogant and when I read posts like this others need to see the irony.

If an Olympic athlete wins a medal from another country it is because they put many years of hard work to win that medal and are the best in the world and good for them.  They deserve it.
Well said, my friend.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2014, 07:59:33 AM »
Gary, I kinda see your point, but it would be a shame if any Olympic athlete didn't put their 'all' into the competition, even if they know Bronze is the best they can hope for.  Stay home if you're only gonna put forth an effort for Gold. That's the definition of a sore loser (not you Gary, the competitors). 20 years from now, you think any of the USA players would rather be fourth place, or have the Bronze medal?  You know the Fin's will be playing their asses off.  I doubt the Stanley Cup means more to these players. This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity for most of them, and I bet they up a lot more weight on that over the Stanley Cup - that they have a career to chase after.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2014, 08:27:47 AM »
Gary, I kinda see your point, but it would be a shame if any Olympic athlete didn't put their 'all' into the competition, even if they know Bronze is the best they can hope for.  Stay home if you're only gonna put forth an effort for Gold. That's the definition of a sore loser (not you Gary, the competitors). 20 years from now, you think any of the USA players would rather be fourth place, or have the Bronze medal?  You know the Fin's will be playing their asses off.  I doubt the Stanley Cup means more to these players. This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity for most of them, and I bet they up a lot more weight on that over the Stanley Cup - that they have a career to chase after.

I understand the point you guys are making Chad, and you all are right. It's pride in your country....you owe it to the players/people who didn't make it to do your best. I really do get it.

Unfortunately for me my since of compete tuition was ruined from a young age from playing on select baseball teams from age 9-18 where if you didn't win....there was no "well at least we tried and got second guys" from the coaches. It was, if we didn't win....we practiced more and entered more tournaments to have the chance to come in First more.

It was a horrible way to learn about competition and in fact I read an e mail 20 minutes ago where my 7 year old sons baseball team needs a head coach and as much as I'd love to do it I'm worried about infecting any of those kids with my warped sense of competition.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2014, 10:17:11 AM »
So I'm guessing that Canada game sucked the life out of them. :P

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2014, 10:18:34 AM »
Hell yeah Finland, what a win!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2014, 10:37:53 AM »
Hell yeah Finland, what a win!

Was it? I'd consider that more like when I'd let my little brother beat me at HORSE when we were younger. He needed that way more than I did like Finland needed it more than the US. We had the game on in the background and it pretty evident that the US was going through the motions, they looked like Russia. When your goal idl Gold and you don't get it.....it's a loss no matter if you medal or not.

Happy for Selanne though.....he deserves to 'go out' with a medal.

So I'm guessing that Canada game sucked the life out of them. :P

That Canada game WAS the tournament.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #152 on: February 22, 2014, 10:40:50 AM »
I think USA is going to feel pretty embarrassed that they didn't even medal when they were a favorite. They played for it through the first period, but after Finland drew blood, USA collapsed. This is why I wish Finland had beaten Sweden yesterday, they're a fantastic team(don't know what happened yesterday though D:).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: February 22, 2014, 10:45:03 AM »
I think USA is going to feel pretty embarrassed

No they should feel ashamed. Despite my view on what Silver and Bronze mean.....it is a big deal to the players and Countries. And for them to go out and half a$$ a game like that is ridiculous. I'm sure Finland is above average and all but there was no reason for the US not to win this game 5-0 rather than Finland doing it to them. Their coach must have given them my prep talk.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: February 22, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »
USA was picked to medal this Olympics so if they don't there well be egg on their faces. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: February 22, 2014, 11:44:57 AM »
Still think that Team USA was one of the two best teams in this tournament? What a joke!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2014, 12:07:31 PM »
Big time egg.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #157 on: February 22, 2014, 02:19:41 PM »
Disappointing, but this happens all of the time, where a team is playing for a lot less than what their goal was, resulting in a lackluster performance.  We see it all of the time in NCAA basketball where a bubble team fails to make the tournament and then gets ousted in the 1st round of the NIT, simply because the whole team is not "all in" when it comes to playing for a lot less than what they hoped to play for.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
Disappointing, but this happens all of the time, where a team is playing for a lot less than what their goal was, resulting in a lackluster performance.  We see it all of the time in NCAA basketball where a bubble team fails to make the tournament and then gets ousted in the 1st round of the NIT, simply because the whole team is not "all in" when it comes to playing for a lot less than what they hoped to play for.

Yeah....I'm done defending them. They blew it plain and simple. I still think they're one of the top two teams in that tournament despite not getting a medal. If they weren't the. The level of disappointment and 'shock' wouldn't be so high from nearly every pundit and news source out there. Oh well.....no matter the outcome (2) Blues players come home with Gold and (2) with Silver, that's cool.

And, at least Oshie produced a pretty epic Olympic moment out of the whole deal.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: February 22, 2014, 05:03:33 PM »
I had picked a Russia/USA final, so I'm utterly stunned they both failed to medal.  I think you're right Gary... that result was an absolute embarrassment, and to be mentally unprepared for the game will haunt them all after they're retired... especially those that never play in an Olympics again, and/or never get a Cup.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2014, 05:18:42 PM »

Well to be fair, we are arrogant and there are plenty of examples that are demonstrated with the Olympics. For one thing, the coverage here is embarrassingly Americentric. It's actually annoying enough for me that I've skipped a lot of it. The most recent example (but I notice such things any time it's on) is when the smoking hot Russian girl won the figure skating gold. Rather than showing her accept the medal they cut to some American guy standing through our national anthem after an event that occurred hours before. I would have much rather seen her with her unabashed excitement and enthusiasm than his stoic ass; better television.

Another thing is the notion that our rivals get bitter or angry when they lose to Americans. This has gone on forever, and the truth seems to be that it's rarely the case. Far from being pissed off about Jesse Owens, Hitler had actually been quite respectful to him before the events, and he was far more respected and appreciated in Germany than he was here. Khrushchev was pretty pissed off when the judges asked him at the First International Tchaikovsky Competition if it was OK for them to give Van Cliburn the medal. All I heard about after the America/Russia hockey match was how humiliating it must have been for Putin. Putin has won so much by this olympics it's amazing. I doubt this was much of a setback for the man.

And then there's all of the coverage about how fucked up Sochi is. It takes years of preparation to host the Olympics, and every single time they're rushing and scurrying up to the very end to get it all together.  Somehow I doubt that Atlanta and Los Angeles were really up to spec when they hosted, and if you'd given me a camera I could have offered up 100 examples better than the twin toilets. For some reason I never saw any pictures of incomplete facilities of those on American television.

I'm not pointing these things out to bash America. I'm just suggesting that anybody with some objectivity could look at how we present this thing and come away with the very valid opinion that we're pretty damned full of ourselves. Probably the only people who don't see that are the actual foreign competitors. I would that inside the Olympic village there's little left outside of mutual respect and admiration, which is one of the few reasons left for me to watch the thing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2014, 09:58:35 PM »
El Barto.  you must know a lot of fucktards.  I certainly don't know people like this and if I did they are assholes.  Besides you can't use the TV coverage to point out all Americans. We know how slanted new is here in America.

Whoever wins in these Olympics deserve all the accolades.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2014, 10:01:43 PM »
Perhaps it's because I'm not really a sports fan (the Olympics are the only sports I ever watch), but I don't really even care who wins, I just enjoy watching.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: February 22, 2014, 10:04:04 PM »
And that is the greatness of the Olympics.  I hate the media coverage.  Look at what happened to Bode Miller as a prime example.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #164 on: February 22, 2014, 11:25:46 PM »
El Barto.  you must know a lot of fucktards.  I certainly don't know people like this and if I did they are assholes.  Besides you can't use the TV coverage to point out all Americans. We know how slanted new is here in America.

Only my coworkers. I don't knowingly hang around with fucktards. However, I have no idea who you're referring to. Who are the fucktards? My only point in responding to your post was that you said there's a perception of American arrogance, and I think it's perfectly understandable for many reasons, with our coverage of the Olympics as a fine example.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2014, 12:04:06 AM »
I had picked a Russia/USA final, so I'm utterly stunned they both failed to medal. 
Am I the only one who thought Russia didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of medaling? :lol

I got the final I predicted though. Canada/Sweden is gonna make for an awesome game. Staying up all night to catch this. Let's go boys! :metal

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2014, 05:24:35 AM »

Only my coworkers. I don't knowingly hang around with fucktards. However, I have no idea who you're referring to. Who are the fucktards? My only point in responding to your post was that you said there's a perception of American arrogance, and I think it's perfectly understandable for many reasons, with our coverage of the Olympics as a fine example.

I find it hard to believe that people in other countries can't separate the coverage from the people.  If you know that, they should know that so what does that say about them?.  If some people in America think like that, and I've only seen a few, they are the fucktards.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2014, 07:26:35 AM »
Good Job Canada on the Gold. Just a methodical machine that defensively shut down every team they played. A true TEAM effort and they deserve the Gold again.

Thrilled for my 'Blues' boys but I have to say......I'm so happy that we can get back to NHL Hockey now!

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2014, 07:40:30 AM »
WE WIN THE GOLD! WAY TO GO, BOYS!
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2014, 07:46:40 AM »
This BTW is why I don't like seeing team sports at the Olympics. It just becomes an extension of the NHL, NFL or whatever.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2014, 08:13:54 AM »
This BTW is why I don't like seeing team sports at the Olympics. It just becomes an extension of the NHL, NFL or whatever.

Sorry, but this is a dumb statement.  Football isn't played in the Olympics for starters, and why shouldn't the greatest athletes play, no matter what their vocation is outside of the Olympics?  The USA, Russia, Sweden were all stacked with NHL players... which just goes to show that the NHL attracts the best players in the world.

Why don't you like that?

Also, Gary nailed it... perfect team execution; brilliant defense, and generating enough offense.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2014, 08:44:26 AM »
One hell of a win for team Canada.

Now I may not agree with Rumbo, I do love the individual sports because most of the sports I watch are team sports except for Tennis and Golf.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2014, 09:32:27 AM »
Got to love it when the Gold Medal team beats the Silver Medal team, who beat the Bronze Medal team, who beat the 4th place team. Really makes it clear who the best teams are.

Congrats to Canada. That was an impressive performance.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2014, 11:49:25 AM »
Got to love it when the Gold Medal team beats the Silver Medal team, who beat the Bronze Medal team, who beat the 4th place team.

Touché. Well played.......... :clap:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2014, 12:38:15 PM »
Something else that's annoyed me about the Olympic coverage is that every time I tune in it seems to be some event that just doesn't translate well to television. Do we really need to watch all of a 2 hour cross country race where nothing will ever happen between the first and last 10 minutes? Christ, even NASCAR has the occasional pass or fatality. Why not intersperse other events with updates? Hell, it's all time delayed anyway. This seems to happen a lot this time around. Every time I turn it on I last through 15 minutes of yammering, 3 commercial breaks, and then turn on something else.
E.F. Benson