Author Topic: Winter Olympics 2014  (Read 14061 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Winter Olympics 2014
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2014, 01:17:35 PM »
The best part about it is that David Backes and Ryan Callahan are finally on MY team!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2014, 01:24:35 PM »
The best part about it is that David Backes and Ryan Callahan are finally on MY team!

I could get used to those two being on the same team...... :tup
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2014, 01:27:31 PM »

I could get used to those two being on the same team...... :tup
Yeah, like the Bruins! :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2014, 02:04:14 PM »
Forgive me.  I don't actively follow sports other than football very much, so I guess it just didn't click that there are douche fans for just about every sport.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jsem

« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2014, 10:09:34 PM »
Forgive me.  I don't actively follow sports other than football very much, so I guess it just didn't click that there are douche fans for just about every sport.  :lol
Lol. How often do you see hooliganism in connection to American Football? Just curious. I have never really heard of it. But when you go to South America or Europe, you'll see people fighting and dying for the colors of their quarter. It's more than just douche fans.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2014, 08:13:45 AM »
Props to Ashley Wagner for skating to Crazy Diamond!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2014, 09:37:11 AM »

And, barring an utter collapse choke job.....Team USA should beat Canada on Friday. Canada has not looked good to me at all. Where as, Team USA has looked more like a 'team' and have gotten stronger with each game and still hasn't played thier best. I'd say USA wins that game Friday 3-1, 4-2....something like that.

It's true that Team USA has looked better and like more of a team, but Canada has still yet to lose, and they still have the most talent, so if the sleeping giant gets woken up this weekend, they will take the gold.  Here's hoping they don't put it completely together and Team USA wins tomorrow! :tup :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2014, 09:55:44 AM »

And, barring an utter collapse choke job.....Team USA should beat Canada on Friday. Canada has not looked good to me at all. Where as, Team USA has looked more like a 'team' and have gotten stronger with each game and still hasn't played thier best. I'd say USA wins that game Friday 3-1, 4-2....something like that.

It's true that Team USA has looked better and like more of a team, but Canada has still yet to lose, and they still have the most talent, so if the sleeping giant gets woken up this weekend, they will take the gold.  Here's hoping they don't put it completely together and Team USA wins tomorrow! :tup :tup

I don't think it'll be easy by any means.....Canada is definitely stacked.....I just think team USA 'has it going' for them. You can kind of sense the confidence and team comradary on team USA. I don't get that sense from Canada. It seems like they're playing tight, playing not to lose.....and playing not to lose is a tough way to play.

It's going to be a fun game to watch and I can't imaine that whomever wins that game between them loses the Gold Medal game to either of the other teams remaining.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2014, 12:50:58 PM »
These refs in the CAN/US womens Hockey game friggin' suck! They are taking the game out of the players hands on some BS friggin' calls.....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2014, 12:56:07 PM »
That makeup call was utter horse shit.  What a shame that the women lost the gold because of that. :tdwn :tdwn

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2014, 01:03:41 PM »
That makeup call was utter horse shit.  What a shame that the women lost the gold because of that. :tdwn :tdwn

It certainly was......and it didn't help matters at all. BUT.....there is absolutely no excuse to blow a 2 goal lead that late in a GOLD MEDAL game, I don't care how good your opponent is. Thier butts puckered and they choked...plain and simple.

The BS calls in overtime were just that, especially after the refs had missed/let go (2) pretty obvious penalties on CAN in the closing minutes of the game that would have all but done them in. That slashing call was utter crap though.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2014, 02:50:25 PM »
Yeah it shouldn't have come down to ticky tack "we called one on them, time to call one on you" penalties. 2-0 with four minutes left, the US only has themselves to blame for being in that position.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2014, 04:56:30 PM »
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2014, 07:23:17 AM »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2014, 07:25:57 AM »
We're in the hockey finals!  :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2014, 08:37:20 AM »
King Henrik is the man! :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline jsem

« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2014, 09:33:39 AM »
He did make a huge error letting Finland get that first goal, but apart from that he was superb. Always feels good to beat the Finns.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2014, 09:43:19 AM »
Welp, that really sucked to see, no offense guys  :lol
I was really pulling for Finland, and seeing them lose to a team comprised of a bunch of Red Wings makes it sting all the worse.

Congrats though, and at least the Bronze Match will be entertaining as well, 4 fantastic teams this time around.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:54:35 AM by Dark Castle »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2014, 10:23:48 AM »

Being a Blues fan I'm happy for Steen and Berglund. Being a Hockey fan I think it's horrible that the loser of the US/CAN game can only get bronze being that THEY ARE the two best teams left.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2014, 12:11:49 PM »
Good game between USA/CAN. I still maintain its utter horse $hit that USA has to play for third now when the two best teams just played. It's a crap way to set up a tournament where the two best teams don't play for the Gold. Anyway....I'm a sore loser so I'll just stop now.....blah blah blah....congrats to canada.....blah blah......

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2014, 12:28:40 PM »
That was a bummer, but Canada was clearly the better team.  Only the terrific play of Quick kept Team USA in the game.  But I got the impression that they could play for another 5-6 periods and we still wouldn't score, given how great Canada was at limiting the good scoring chances.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »
Good game between USA/CAN. I still maintain its utter horse $hit that USA has to play for third now when the two best teams just played. It's a crap way to set up a tournament where the two best teams don't play for the Gold. Anyway....I'm a sore loser so I'll just stop now.....blah blah blah....congrats to canada.....blah blah......

I don't know. Seemed total chance.  If the US had beaten Russia in regulation you would have had your wish.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2014, 12:58:11 PM »

I hate you...  >:(
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2014, 01:00:07 PM »
Welp, that really sucked to see, no offense guys  :lol
I was really pulling for Finland, and seeing them lose to a team comprised of a bunch of Red Wings makes it sting all the worse.

Congrats though, and at least the Bronze Match will be entertaining as well, 4 fantastic teams this time around.

Thank you. Finland wins tomorrow! ;)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline TL

« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »
Canada has been on fire in the homestretch! Gold in Women's and Men's curling, Gold in Women's hockey, Gold and silver in Women's ski cross, and now we're in the Men's hockey final! It has been an exciting couple of days.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2014, 01:11:17 PM »
Finland wins tomorrow! ;)

I can honestly say I could care less about the bronze medal game. Anything other than First Place (Gold Medal) is 2nd loser.......in any sport. Second, third....whatever, you're not the winner and winning is why you play. Actually, I'd ask the girls team if they want to play Finland tomorrow......I'd rather not take the chance on getting any of my NHL players hurt in an utterly meaningless game.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2014, 01:31:06 PM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2014, 01:35:19 PM »
Fuck...Fuck....and....Fuck!!

I think the South Park guys were right......  we need to invade Canada!!!!   :yarr

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2014, 04:15:46 PM »

Who's to say that Sweden isn't the best team in the tournament? Who's to say that the U.S. isn't the 4th best team? We'll find out tomorrow.

Finland wins tomorrow! ;)

I can honestly say I could care less about the bronze medal game. Anything other than First Place (Gold Medal) is 2nd loser.......in any sport. Second, third....whatever, you're not the winner and winning is why you play. Actually, I'd ask the girls team if they want to play Finland tomorrow......I'd rather not take the chance on getting any of my NHL players hurt in an utterly meaningless game.

I think that you mean that you couldn't care less.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2014, 05:02:08 PM »
Who's to say that Sweden isn't the best team in the tournament? Who's to say that the U.S. isn't the 4th best team? We'll find out tomorrow.

I understand the point you're making. Yeah, Sweden hasn't lost and is indeed playing for the gold. But to try and convince me that they....or any other team other than Canada are 'better' than the USA squad would never work.....because they aren't.

The thing that makes the Olympics interesting and exciting is the fact that it's a one game series and even a second rate team can play the game of thier lives and beat a team they shouldn't. (miracle on oce anyone?) The thing that sucks about the Olympics is that it's a one game series and the good teams don't have the chance to even it out and ultimately win a series against an inferior squad.

You trying to tell me that if Sweden plays the game of their lives on Sunday and beats Canada they are the better team? I don't think so.....they'd just happened to have played a good game against a team that in all actuality won the gold medal game played between the best two teams about five hours ago.

And thanks for the correction.....I couldn't care less about that meaningless bronze medal game.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2014, 05:12:41 PM »
So I'm listening to New York sports radio today and the midday hosts are talking about how the Olympics are so great for the sport of Hockey.

They went on to say...

"The casual fan doesn't tune into the Rangers and the Mighty Ducks during February but EVERYONE gets behind the Olympic hockey team and is watching with excitement."

I have news for them...

Who really gives a shit what the casual hockey fan is into??? The "casual" hockey fan doesn't really watch hockey at all! I watch the Rangers all season long!!!

AND another thing...If I'm being honest... its cool to watch the American hockey team compete for a gold medal, BUT seeing the Rangers win the Stanley cup is a 1000 times more important to me as a fan than watching the American hockey team win a gold medal.
And any diehard hockey fan feels the same way about their team. Winning the cup is WAAAAY more important!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »

I understand the point you're making. Yeah, Sweden hasn't lost and is indeed playing for the gold. But to try and convince me that they....or any other team other than Canada are 'better' than the USA squad would never work.....because they aren't.

The thing that makes the Olympics interesting and exciting is the fact that it's a one game series and even a second rate team can play the game of thier lives and beat a team they shouldn't. (miracle on oce anyone?) The thing that sucks about the Olympics is that it's a one game series and the good teams don't have the chance to even it out and ultimately win a series against an inferior squad.

You trying to tell me that if Sweden plays the game of their lives on Sunday and beats Canada they are the better team? I don't think so.....they'd just happened to have played a good game against a team that in all actuality won the gold medal game played between the best two teams about five hours ago.

And thanks for the correction.....I couldn't care less about that meaningless bronze medal game.

Sweden is the #1 ranked team according to the IIHF. I have no idea why you're not giving them any credit. They took care of their business, earned the top seed and have coasted into the gold medal game. At this point, I hope they beat Canada soundly.

I wanted the U.S. to beat Canada and win it all. Watching Oshie do what he did against Russia last week was one of the coolest things I've seen in sports. But today, The U.S. got shut out. So at this point it would take the combination of Sweden also getting shut out against Canada and the U.S. beating the bricks off of Finland to justify any of this U.S. is in the top two talk. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:19:45 PM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2014, 05:16:32 PM »
So I'm listening to New York sports radio today and the midday hosts are talking about how the Olympics are so great for the sport of Hockey.

They went on to say...

"The casual fan doesn't tune into the Rangers and the Mighty Ducks during February but EVERYONE gets behind the Olympic hockey team and is watching with excitement."

I have news for them...

Who really gives a shit what the casual hockey fan is into??? The "casual" hockey fan doesn't really watch hockey at all! I watch the Rangers all season long!!!

AND another thing...If I'm being honest... its cool to watch the American hockey team compete for a gold medal, BUT seeing the Rangers win the Stanley cup is a 1000 times more important to me as a fan than watching the American hockey team win a gold medal.
And any diehard hockey fan feels the same way about their team. Winning the cup is WAAAAY more important!

I agree that to the diehards, seeing your team winning the Cup is the ultimate.... but unfortunately, the entire sporting industry "gives a shit" what the casual fan is into, which is precisely why the Winter Classic has been made such a big deal and has even spawned off the stadium series.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2014, 05:26:45 PM »

They went on to say...

I have news for them...

I agree that to the diehards, seeing your team winning the Cup is the ultimate.... but unfortunately, the entire sporting industry "gives a shit" what the casual fan is into, which is precisely why the Winter Classic has been made such a big deal and has even spawned off the stadium series.
I would argue that its NOT the casual fan watching the Winter Classic...Its the diehard fans of ALL TEAMS watching these games rather than just watching their own team play. That's what I think.
The casual fan watched the very first Winter classic game played.  That was all the novelty they needed.  They are not still watching.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2014, 05:44:47 PM »

They went on to say...

I have news for them...

I would argue that its NOT the casual fan watching the Winter Classic...Its the diehard fans of ALL TEAMS watching these games rather than just watching their own team play. That's what I think.
The casual fan watched the very first Winter classic game played.  That was all the novelty they needed.  They are not still watching.

I think that this article puts it better than I can....

SIGNATURE EVENT

In just six years the outdoor game that started as nothing more than a one-off novelty has grown into the league's marketing centre piece, a New Year's Day showcase that has eclipsed the Stanley Cup as the NHL's signature event.

A concept that has captured the imagination of casual hockey fans, the appeal of the Winter Classic lies in game's outdoor roots, anchored by romantic nostalgia and wintry charm.

The New Year's Day Classic, however, has grown well beyond its initial sentimental appeal into big business, a cash cow for the league, teams and the city's who have hosted them.

The Winter Classic was the main event in the week long hockey extravaganza that featured alumni games, junior and minor league hockey games played in Detroit at Comerica Park, home of Major League Baseball's Tigers, pouring an estimated $60 million into the bankrupt city's economy and another $15 million into Ann Arbor.

Four of the five most-watched NHL regular-season games in the U.S. since 1975 have been Winter Classics and Wednesday's edition is almost certain to join that list.

"I think the week the NHL has put together here and at Comerica Park to sell our game is a great thing," said Red Wings coach Mike Babcock. "It's kind of like the Super Bowl setup in a way.

"This is an unbelievable event to sell hockey."

https://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/02/us-nhl-winter-classic-idUSBREA0100120140102