Author Topic: Winter Olympics 2014  (Read 14067 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Winter Olympics 2014
« on: January 22, 2014, 06:53:51 AM »
Figure with a couple of weeks to go, it's time to start a thread.  Other than Hockey, is anyone else looking forward to anything?  Not sure I'll watch much (and certainly not live, being 8-10 hours off from Sochi (I don't know officially what it is), but I'll catch the highlights.  After hosting and killing it with a record number of Gold's, this time around is only bound to be a bit of a let down.  Add on all the hype (and not in a good way) of Russia's human rights issues, and I can't say that I'm all that amped this time around.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Winter Olympics 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 06:55:43 AM »
Hockey is the most radular, speedskating is tight, Curling, the skiing events are all rad, etc etc. I've always held waaaaay more interest in the Winter Olympics compared to the Summer Olympics. Unfortunately though with my school schedule, and the fact that the channel that broadcasts it only comes in through the tv in my living room, I probably won't be able to catch to much of it.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 07:41:38 AM »
Skiing all the way! Especially the faster alpine disciplines.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 08:16:09 AM »
I'll be rooting for the Jamaican bobsled team.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 08:24:12 AM »
I don't watch any of the big sports (hockey, basketball, soccer etc) in the Olympics, I find they get enough airplay as it is. For me it's more about seeing tenacious individuals, so I'm looking forward to stuff like biathlon.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 08:41:35 AM »
I pretty much watch whatever's on.  Not too big on the biathalon or cross-country, but I like the other sports and the diversity of the participants.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 09:33:34 AM »
I like to watch the curling and bobsled events.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 09:42:22 AM »
I'm sure I'll catch some here or there, but I don't really care very much for the Winter Olympic sports.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 09:54:24 AM »
January 22 08:55:43 AM, the first time curling was ever referred to as 'rad.'

I dislike much pretty much everything about the olympics but I truly hope this doesn't turn in to Munich pt 2 with all I've been reading about terrorism threats.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 10:19:31 AM »
Right, you don't like curling so it can't be enjoyable for others.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 10:47:35 AM »
Misinterpreted. There are lots of things like curling that people enjoy, yet are not usually referred to as ‘rad.’ That should be used to describe things like a DT concert or your team going to the Super Bowl.  I like bowling, but would never refer to it as a ‘rad’ activity.

But curling is still lame. :p
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 10:52:14 AM »
I'll try to catch as much as I can from biathlon, ski jumping, bob sledding, alpine skiing - so basically all the ones where Germany is good at.  :hat
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 11:02:54 AM »
Misinterpreted. There are lots of things like curling that people enjoy, yet are not usually referred to as ‘rad.’ That should be used to describe things like a DT concert or your team going to the Super Bowl.  I like bowling, but would never refer to it as a ‘rad’ activity.
You don't know many curlers, then. :lol

...as for your lame comment, thanks, we hope your ego was sufficiently stoked by putting our sport down. :p

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 11:06:35 AM »
I'm sure I'll catch some here or there, but I don't really care very much for the Winter Olympic sports.

For me it's the other way around. I usually don't care much for the Summer Olympics. I'm not into running or swimming, and those always seem to be the main events in the Olympics (at least in the US). I will watch high jump though, that's always entertaining.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 11:18:24 AM »
You don't know many curlers, then. :lol

...as for your lame comment, thanks, we hope your ego was sufficiently stoked by putting our sport down. :p

I don't know any. And I smiley'd it, hopefully to imply my joking manner. I see I failed.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 11:39:20 AM »
No, I got it, no worries, that's why I added the same :p to mine.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »
I like watching hockey, bobsled, the huge ski jump, snowboarding... to name a few. I plan on watching when I get the chances to.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 02:03:35 PM »
Curling = Eskimo bowling  :jets:

I dig watching it every now and then.  Looks simple, but man there is some talent there.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 04:14:47 AM »
I'm Austrian. Winter Olympics means I can't turn on Austrian or German TV (even if it's just the news for world headlines, not sports news) without being bombarded with snowy stuff I don't care about and people expecting a thousand medals and complaining when it's only 999.

Except ski jumping, that's cool. Not because Austrians are usually winning. Go Noriaki, show the kids how it's done! :biggrin:

Greetings...
Nef

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 04:39:26 AM »
Except ski jumping, that's cool. Not because Austrians are usually winning. Go Noriaki, show the kids how it's done! :biggrin:
Aw man ski jumping rules :metal I mostly cheer for jumpers from Finland, Norway, and Poland; I don't care for Austria or Germany, which is unfortunate, as they are dominant :yeahright

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 05:00:11 AM »
Aside from hockey (go Team Sweden!) I guess I'll be watching some skiing, unless the Norwegians kick our asses...
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 05:45:22 AM »
Aw man ski jumping rules :metal I mostly cheer for jumpers from Finland, Norway, and Poland; I don't care for Austria or Germany, which is unfortunate, as they are dominant :yeahright

Look!  A Milena sighting!  Nice way to start my day.  Stick around will ya?

As for hockey, I predict a USA/Russia final, and would just be happy if Canada played for the Bronze.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 07:15:28 AM »
I am so pumped for this! Even though I don't watch these sports otherwise (mainly because I can't, because the expensive TV channels have taken everything), I always really get into the Winter Olympics. Let's hope the headlines during the 16 days will be dominated by the sport.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 12:57:05 AM »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 01:56:29 AM »
^^ Well, we're off to a good start, then.  That glass of water is indeed dirty and disgusting.  My goodness.

All I ask for during these games is to make sure that the referees are on the top of their game and that there will be no officiating shenanigans on their end during the hockey games.  I don't know why I think that it's going to happen.  The NHL refs had made some bad decisions, this season.  Would I expect this to be different? 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 02:32:21 AM »
Absolute shambles. Plus on top of all that there's the whole homophobia problem, although the rest of the world seems to be united in making fun of Russia for that.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »
I don't watch any of the big sports (hockey, basketball, soccer etc) in the Olympics, I find they get enough airplay as it is. For me it's more about seeing tenacious individuals, so I'm looking forward to stuff like biathlon.

Same here.  Other than hockey and figure skating, I really enjoy most of the other events.  But I'll even watch those if push comes to shove (although I MUCH prefer the women's figure skating over men's).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2014, 06:15:34 PM »
I enjoy watching the more obscurer sports in the Olympics. Since this is the winter olympics in this case it'd be something like bobsledding and even curling.
And apparently for all your complaints for Sochi, you can vent it all out on here...
https://twitter.com/SochiProblems

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2014, 06:55:42 PM »
Man, what are they doing? Commercials breaks every 5 minutes?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2014, 07:07:28 PM »
So apparently the opening ceremony isn't being streamed online anywhere. I've got a TV, but it's kind of small, plus I can't watch it comfortably and use my computer at the same time, cause I usually like to do several things online at once.

I guess it's NBC's right not to stream it, but I can't say I'm not kind of bummed. Guess I may catch some highlights later on.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2014, 07:07:53 PM »
Man, what are they doing? Commercials breaks every 5 minutes?
They've done that for the last 2 Olympics as well. It's agonizing I know and considering this is tape delayed (I think) they could've shortened it if they felt like it.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2014, 08:15:50 PM »
Considering the amount of money NBC paid to broadcast these games, I can't blame them for showing lots of commercials.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 04:17:55 AM »
First Swedish medal today, Charlotte Kalla took the silver in Skiathlon :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2014, 04:50:38 AM »
First Swedish medal today, Charlotte Kalla took the silver in Skiathlon :tup
:metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 07:12:01 AM »
My little country has something to be proud of again.