Author Topic: VOYAGER: Australian Melodic/Prog/Gothic/Metal Band Thread  (Read 22115 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: VOYAGER: Australian Melodic/Prog/Gothic/Metal Band Thread
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2015, 10:58:47 AM »
Saw them open for Evergrey, fantastic!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2015, 10:59:48 AM »
I honestly don't understand how this band isn't more well-known.  Only one page of comments on DTF?  This band is so awesome and fun.  I've still yet to pick my jaw up off the floor after hearing The Meaning of I.  I wish I could go back to PPUSA and enjoy them all over again!   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2015, 03:43:22 PM »
Yeah man, The Meaning of I is an incredible album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2016, 11:18:23 AM »
What do you guys think of the new song, "Misery is Only Company."  Soooooo good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3K4_4Bpn6M
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2016, 01:50:44 PM »
What do you guys think of the new song, "Misery is Only Company."  Soooooo good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3K4_4Bpn6M

I'll have to check this out later.  I wasn't a huge fan of V to be honest, just didn't click with me.  Hopefully the new one fixes that.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2016, 02:07:43 PM »
What! A new song?!?!

Listening now

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2016, 02:21:02 PM »
Yeah, I didn't realise they were working on a new album at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2016, 04:26:03 AM »
Quite different, and an obvious more commercial approach, but I quite like it.  Will definitely check out the album whenever it's released.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2016, 04:28:35 AM »
I've still only heard "V" about 3 times so far and nothing else by them, this single is pretty promising though. 
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2016, 04:30:49 AM »
I really like that track actually.  Much better than most of V IMO.  I should get that cd out and give it another go.  I loved the Meaning of I and really like this new track so maybe it needs another chance.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2016, 09:12:28 AM »
the chorus sounded really familiar, then it clicked...

Fair to Midland's "Walls of Jericho".
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2016, 09:37:04 AM »
I'll admit, the new track didn't really do much for me. It could be a grower though, so I'll give it a few more chances, and I definitely plan on checking out the eventual album regardless.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2016, 03:53:22 PM »
Quite different, and an obvious more commercial approach, but I quite like it.  Will definitely check out the album whenever it's released.

The song has a definite commercial feel, but it's not odd for a promotional song to have that vibe, and doesn't often mean the rest of the album will definitely be like that.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2016, 10:42:44 PM »

The song has a definite commercial feel, but it's not odd for a promotional song to have that vibe, and doesn't often mean the rest of the album will definitely be like that.

Yeah absolutely, was just a bit of a surprise from these guys.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2016, 12:19:40 AM »
I still don't think Voyager have captured the energy of their live show on record.
I like nearly all the studio stuff, but live is where they really come alive.

They get another chance to impress when they support Epica on their Australian Tour next month.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2017, 12:50:57 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2017, 09:50:01 PM »
I'll just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doi60r3pniA

This is so good! Yes! I'm pumped. I can't stop listening. This band is do incredible.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2019, 01:39:46 PM »
Blast from the past... hello!! Voyager fans!! Why is this thread not active?

Who's heard the new song Brightstar? I think it's fantastic. I love everything this band does. They've become my favorite thing in metal for the last few years, I think they're kings of prog metal (however you define that term nowadays).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDoITQV7324
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2019, 03:39:50 PM »
Great song! I've listened a couple of songs of them and I really like them. Are they releasing a new album this year? It's not clear to me from the description of the video.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2019, 03:52:23 PM »
I didn't even know there was a Voyager thread here.  I've said this in other threads here, but I discovered them just before ProgPower and became a fan after seeing them perform.  Really cool band, lots of good live vibes from the drummer being ridiculous to the bassist looking like he's having a blast to the female guitarist shredding and of course the singer with his occassional keytar usage and his big drink just going at it.  They really impressed me live and did such a cool set at Progpower with live debuts of songs, a keytar battle, and a cover medley.

Anyway, new song is pretty good  :metal

I wouldn't label them the kings of prog metal though, personally.  But I think they are one of the better newer prog metal bands out there.  Haken, Leprous, Voyager, Caligula's Horse.... I feel like these all belong in the group of "top modern prog metal bands" Hard to name a king of this group, since all have their own distinct sound.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2019, 05:39:17 PM »
Yeah, that's where it gets a bit dodgy. There's so many bands under the 'prog metal' umbrella and yet you could pick out a full dozen of them and every single one of them would sound way different from the rest. For me Voyager just ticks all the boxes in every way. Leprous and Caligula's Horse and Haken are all awesome calls too, I'd definitely put them in the upper echelon.

I'm not sure if they're releasing a new album this year although I hope so, and I hope Brightstar is the album opener.  :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2019, 05:51:55 PM »
I also think about which prog metal bands that are newish and are headliners now.  To be the King in my mind, you not only need to be good in terms of music, but also need to be at the top in terms of popularity too, or album/ticket sales, essentially some metric of proof besides opinion to show you are a top band in the genre.  Has Voyager done a headlining tour in the US before? I'm not sure if Leprous or Caligula's Horse has (I'm thinking not).  Things like that go into my mind when I think of top bands in the genre.  Yoyager is a progpower headliner though which is pretty cool, but I had never even heard of them until they were announced a headliner (I'm definitely not a prog head though so that should be taken into account when I gauge prog bands). 

Should add that they seem like cool people too, I ran into them multiple times at the festival and just said hey or something and they were always friendly back.  Seems like a cool group to have a drink with.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2019, 06:06:17 PM »
In that regard, yeah, they're not quite there yet. In 2012, they were supporting Rhapsody, haha. They're super cool. I was eating a burger at the Vortex and they were two tables over. They rode those scooters all over downtown, I have a video of three of them rolling by while I was in a car :lol I talked to Danny after their set and he was super cool and really appreciative of all the fans and how well the show went. Very nervous chatting with them but they're probably one of the most fun groups to shoot the shit with, especially Ash (the drummer).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2019, 06:07:56 PM »
hahaha id love to see the video

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2019, 06:15:37 PM »
That song was decent.  Was a bit worried after the first minute that they were trying to go commercial but it come good.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2019, 06:55:30 PM »
It's just a brief clip but here ya go. If it's not viewable (my profile isn't public but I made the video public) then I'll put it somewhere else. https://tinyurl.com/y2bcrezt

Offline Lethean

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2019, 07:14:38 PM »
Cramx - I don't think this actually really matters in terms of who's the best prog metal band, but if it does matter to you, Leprous has indeed done a US headlining tour.  Two of them in fact.  Plus a co-headlining tour with Haken last year. :)

Voyager hasn't, but I don't care about that so much.  It's not easy for any of these bands to do headlining tours, but probably even harder to tour the US from Australia.  I do believe they've done some headlining tours in Europe.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2019, 12:37:29 PM »
Cramx - I don't think this actually really matters in terms of who's the best prog metal band, but if it does matter to you, Leprous has indeed done a US headlining tour.  Two of them in fact.  Plus a co-headlining tour with Haken last year. :)

Voyager hasn't, but I don't care about that so much.  It's not easy for any of these bands to do headlining tours, but probably even harder to tour the US from Australia.  I do believe they've done some headlining tours in Europe.

I knew about Haken/Leprous (awesome concert I saw) but since they didn't rotate who headlined, I kind of feel it was really Haken, but it was technically coheadlining, I wasn't sure before that though.  You are right, it is meaningless overall, but when I try to think of who is "king" I start thinking about things besides my own tastes such as concert attendance, album sales, youtube views.  I think that all plays a role in determining who is the top band in a genre, and of course my own tastes come in but one is fact and the other is opinion, so I take it all into account.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2019, 01:08:10 PM »
I mean Haken are kings anyway.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2019, 08:28:18 AM »
I mean Haken are Cockroach Kings anyway.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2019, 09:29:27 AM »
My first exposure to Voyager. Clicked on this thread on a whim, and then YouTubed "Ghost Mile." Whoah. Sounds like Tesseract mixed with yeah, Depeche Mode and some other stuff.

For this newb, what full album should be the one I check out first, before deciding to buy?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2019, 09:34:48 AM »
My first exposure to Voyager. Clicked on this thread on a whim, and then YouTubed "Ghost Mile." Whoah. Sounds like Tesseract mixed with yeah, Depeche Mode and some other stuff.

For this newb, what full album should be the one I check out first, before deciding to buy?

I only have Ghost Mile and like it, I'm sure that's a good place to start

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2019, 09:37:55 AM »

If your reaction to Ghost Mile was "whoa" then I highly recommend you listen to Ghost Mile (the album). It's their most recent, and upset The Meaning of I (2011) as my favorite. If you like Ghost Mile, I say work your way backwards. V is awesome, and then after that you'll get to The Meaning of I.

Their last 2 albums - especially Ghost Mile - have a 'djent' vibe to them, moreso than the rest of their stuff, but there's still plenty of that awesome proggy composition and memorable keyboard/vocal work. The lineup they've had for the last 2 albums has an extraordinary chemistry both in studio and on stage.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2019, 09:55:18 AM »
The voice is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger. Not sure I really dig his timbre. It's different, which is fine, but it doesn't sit very well with my ear for some reason. I may have to keep playing the amazon samples of the record for a bit before making a decision.

Thank you guys.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2019, 10:02:58 AM »
The voice is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger. Not sure I really dig his timbre. It's different, which is fine, but it doesn't sit very well with my ear for some reason. I may have to keep playing the amazon samples of the record for a bit before making a decision.

Thank you guys.

I felt the same way, when I heard this band was headlining progpower, I checked them out and was kind of turned off by the vocals.  But not totally, I was kind of intrigued.  I tried listening a couple more times and kept feeling the same way and just kind of said, meh not for me.  I tried one more time a week before the show and all of the sudden it clicked.  Maybe it just takes some warming up.

I had the same intro to Haken leading up to Progpower a few years ago, I kept trying and the vocals kept turning me off but eventually it clicked and I love the vocals now, of both bands.