Author Topic: American Idol - Season 13: Apparently it's better now?  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
American Idol - Season 13: Apparently it's better now?
« on: January 16, 2014, 11:03:12 AM »
This is the American Idol S13 thread.

Here's an interesting read that'll probably have me tuning in at least tonight.

https://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2014/01/15/262489030/idol-takes-a-hugely-unexpected-step-toward-being-much-less-terrible
But something terrible has happened. There are new producers on board, and they have a few dangerous ideas.

They seem to believe that it's depressing to bring attention-starved, socially awkward people in front of wealthy celebrities to have their dreams brutally mocked. They seem to believe that people who are obviously auditioning as a prank are boring — that people who are not trying are less interesting than people who are trying. They seem to believe we want to hear about musicianship from the judges, just because they're musicians. They seem to believe humor should be participatory, a conspiracy between judges and willing, preferably talented contestants, rather than a slushie in the face from a bully.

They seem to believe it's okay for the judges to have different opinions about things, and for Connick to (non-jokingly) call out J.Lo and Urban for being overly infatuated with what Randy Jackson rapturously spoke of as runs, or as Connick more skeptically calls them, "licks." They seem to believe it's cool to have Harry Connick, Jr., a jazz musician, explain what he thinks sounds good using scales. Musical scales. Freaking music theory.

There's not a single person who auditions in a hilarious costume, unless you count a Patriots cheerleader who auditions wearing her Patriots cheerleader uniform. Almost everyone who doesn't make it walks in the door sincerely believing, not without cause, that he or she was a good singer.

The advice is solid, and sometimes surprising. Connick looks at people who have probably been told by everyone they know — not just blinder-wearing parents — that they have great voices, and he tells them, "I don't think you're a good enough singer." He points out to a 16-year-old that it's hard for her to convincingly deliver overtly dirty lyrics like "If I was a blade I'd shave you smooth" without crossing some sort of age-appropriateness threshold that he thinks is probably a bad idea. Not shameful, just weird. Others on the panel don't agree.

This has gone, in one episode, from a show where people walked in the door and could be instantly tagged as Joke Auditions or Successful Auditions to a show where a lot of people either barely get through or barely don't.

Hey, show. Nobody asked you to become fun again.

Stupid show.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: American Idol - Season 13: Apparently it's better now?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 11:21:16 AM »
I quite enjoyed it.  HCJ is going to be an excellent addition to the show.  He already has been.  JLo is fluff and was last time, but still she has talent and experience to add.  As does Keith Urban who, country music aside, I really like.  He's genuine and has a great attitude and is funny.  When HCJ referred to said "licks" as utilizing "pentatonics", I was a little floored myself.  ACTUAL music talk?  Theory talk?  On AI?  Excellent.  More of this will be awesome.

Another note.  HCJ has been on as a guest mentor on several other seasons and has always had great commentary and advice to add.  It's a no brainer that they went with him this season.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 01:05:45 PM »
As a longtime fan of the show (warts and all), I was extremely pleased with last night's debut (as I knew I would be when I heard that Connick was added to the judges), and I'm really looking forward to tonight's episode as well.  Most of which I will miss, unfortunately, due to band practice.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 01:17:26 PM »
ack - sorry i missed this!  Harry Connick, Jr will be a great addition!
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 01:24:41 PM »
It's American Idle, people!
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 02:47:47 PM »
heh...I've watched exactly one episode of American Idol.  That was season 1, episode 1.  I lasted right up until that fucking knob Simon opened his mouth.  That was enough for me. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 03:06:28 PM »
Personally, I thought Simon was really the only decent judge they had, even if he was a jerk just for its own sake a lot of the time.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 03:51:16 PM »
Personally, I thought Simon was really the only decent judge they had, even if he was a jerk just for its own sake a lot of the time.
He was, because he was both honest and constructive with his criticism. Hopefully HCJ can bring some of that. And the show HAD to improve with Mariah Carey leaving. She was dreadful.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 04:23:56 PM »
A friend from high school was filmed in front of the judges, and has even been in a promo or two.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 05:01:33 PM »
I never liked the show, but I do like Simon Cowell. I like him for the sole fact that he's one of the worlds biggest assholes. He makes it completely apparent and he knows he is and he enjoys it. I like the raw honesty of the guy and doesn't suck up to anyone. The man deserves every Bugatti Veyron he lays his hands on.  :tup

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »
Hmm, yeah. This is a lot better than usual.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 07:52:13 PM »
He was, because he was both honest and constructive with his criticism.

Most definitely. He told it how it really was and acted like a god damn talent evaluator, unlike Paula "everyone gets an A for effort and I'm stoned" Abdul.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 09:14:49 PM »
the jingle.family tuned out midway through the Ellen-season fiasco.  So, this is worth checking out again?  Ugh... not sure I've got enough disposable time to spare.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 09:48:35 PM »
Watching it now.  Haven't heard anyone that amazing yet, but I do like the HCJ critiques.  No patience with nonsense, much appreciated.

I rarely watch past the auditions anyway, so I'm good.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline dparrott

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 08:05:59 AM »
I noticed a lot less bad auditions on the show.  I think the novelty of those is wearing off.  HCJ is such a goofball, he's great for loosening things up a bit.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 09:16:46 PM »
You know what really kills the show most of the time? The ballads. My god, every single one is always 100% boring.