Author Topic: True Detective on HBO (merged)  (Read 23441 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: True Detective on HBO (merged)
« Reply #245 on: July 16, 2015, 10:03:08 AM »
There was a Will Ferrell movie which he had a mostly serious role with Maggie Gyllenhall and that was a pretty good movie, can't think of the name right now.

Stranger Than Fiction.  I was pleasantly surprised by how well Will Ferrel handled a serious (and rather strange) role.  It really increased my respect for him as an actor.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #246 on: July 20, 2015, 07:50:08 AM »
I love this show :)

And even though I'm probably alone in this. I like season 2 better. Season 1 was awesome as well, but 2 seems to be scratching my itches a little more.

And its crazy how just as Collin Farell just is about to get his life back together, monkey wretches get thrown into everything to screw it all up.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:00:07 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #247 on: July 20, 2015, 08:33:43 AM »
I think season 2 is great so far, but not really as great as 1. But last night's episode was awesome. Last week was probably the best so far, but this week was solid too, and it feels like we're closing into the end now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #248 on: July 20, 2015, 10:37:52 AM »
I am loving this season.

I agree that it isn't yet on the same plane of rarified air that season 1 acheived.  But there are 3 episodes left.

Vince Vaughan is killing it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #249 on: July 21, 2015, 07:38:56 AM »
Finally watched the last episode. Very good. Looks like Frank just had Ray kill someone for him back in the day....tricking him in to thinking it was the dude who raped his wife.

But there are 3 episodes left.

I'm thinking these are just going to be packed with happenings. Seems like there is so much to cover yet....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: July 21, 2015, 03:39:01 PM »
Just watched and I am with you guys, great season so far after another great episode.  Just like last week, the past few days I kept reading headlines about how this show is boring or not good (I didnt read any of them to avoid spoilers).  I don't get it, the show is killing it if you ask me.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #251 on: July 21, 2015, 06:59:19 PM »
I think the problem is that Rusty was such a fascinating character and there is nothing that really matches that this season. Also the cross between the flashbacks and modern day was so well told and succeeded in developing both main characters but in this season everything is being told on a much more linear timeline with characters that just aren't that intriguing. Overall it just feels like a mediocre cable TV show played out on a channel that prides itself on premium content.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #252 on: July 22, 2015, 02:51:38 AM »
I wouldn't say it feels like a mediocre show at all, and it's definitely been picking up a bit in the last couple of episodes, but I completely agree on the main difference which is Rust. I think the acting is just as good in this season as in the first season, and don't really understand the complaints otherwise, but Rust was such a fascinating and engaging character. There are decent characters in season 2, but none is good enough to carry the show like Rust was.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #253 on: July 22, 2015, 03:12:10 AM »
Like I said in this thread before season 2 started, season 1 felt like such a vision. A clear, carefully laid out and planned vision. With the characters and story telling methods and the Carcosa and the Yellow King angles and influences. I don't think something as complex and complete can be made up in the short time they had to create this new season.

Also, one of my favorite moments in TV-history is hearing Rust and Marty tell the fake story about the shoot-out in the woods, while seeing what actually happened at the same time. Brilliant. Season 2 is great so far, but I don't know if they'll ever reach that high again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: July 22, 2015, 05:36:39 AM »
Just because Rusty was an amazing character and the story telling in s1 was very compelling mean s2 isn't any good.  I would say the story telling and acting in s2 is superb.  Might not be the standout that s1 was, but the show is definitely on a level above your typical cable show.  Honestly, after last episode, the time shift to move ahead seems brilliant. 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #255 on: July 23, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »
Liked the last episode as well, it was emotionally intense for the characters. This season definitely has a very different feel and I'm loving it so far too.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: July 27, 2015, 10:24:01 AM »
Another great episode, maybe the best of the season. The entire "party" scene was really intense and disturbing. McAdams was great this week, and so was Farrell.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #257 on: July 27, 2015, 11:41:30 AM »
I still have no idea what direction this show is trying to go in. I'll finish the last two episodes but this has been a really disappointing season.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: July 27, 2015, 02:29:31 PM »
Loved that episode. 

I still have no idea what direction this show is trying to go in. I'll finish the last two episodes but this has been a really disappointing season.

Im not sure you are supposed to know.  I certainly dont, but thats why I love it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #259 on: July 27, 2015, 04:14:26 PM »
I suppose. There's still two episodes left for that A-ha! moment but I'm still finding the characters pretty flat and uninteresting.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: July 27, 2015, 05:45:42 PM »
I suppose. There's still two episodes left for that A-ha! moment but I'm still finding the characters pretty flat and uninteresting.

If there is no big moment that this all comes together, I will be pretty disappointed.  Things have been coming together slowly though since the jump forward in time, but there is still tons of wtf is going on.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #261 on: July 27, 2015, 06:13:05 PM »
Well, now we know she was molested as a kid. I suspected something like that, but wasn't totally sure.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #262 on: July 27, 2015, 09:30:57 PM »
Wow what a trippy episode. That debauchery setting was straight out of eyes wide shut and man was it intense. It felt a little silence of the lambs as well. I think this was Vince Vaughan's best acted episode, he was amazing. Definitely one of my fav episode this season.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #263 on: July 28, 2015, 09:17:31 AM »
And the flashback with Rachel McAdams was creepy as heck. Looking back I think it is my favorite so far of the season. That father son interaction and contrast between Colin and Vince was some excellent juxtaposing. Can't wait for the next two.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #264 on: July 28, 2015, 06:20:38 PM »
Just binged watched the first season.

:omg:

Can't wait to start the second season!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #265 on: July 29, 2015, 10:34:10 AM »
Oh god please tell me that you know that this is an anthology series. The first season is completely standalone, as is the second, just to let ya know in case you didn't.

But it's awesome stuff, I still need to catch up on the most recent episode but it's certainly got it's own feel. My favorite will always be the first due to my love for the Louisiana back country atmosphere and how well they convey it, and also my very manly love for both Matthew and Woody. Everyone in the second season has made it their own though, and I'm really glad that Pizzolatto has made this season stand on its own instead of trying to top the first season.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #266 on: July 30, 2015, 01:35:19 AM »
I've lost total interest in this show, everything seems like a mess and the characters are just flat and uninteresting. The show tries to constantly create an erie mood with music but it just feels empty when nothing really happens. Will try to stick till the end though but it's hard keeping interest.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: July 30, 2015, 06:33:05 AM »
Finally caught the last episode. Honestly, I thought it was a bit underwhelming for being so close to the seasons end.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: July 31, 2015, 07:17:44 AM »
Also....what are the chances that those ridiculous sex parties actually happen? I'm sure to some extent wealthy, influential folks get together to shag some nasty hookers but what the show suggests seems a bit over the top.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: July 31, 2015, 07:20:53 AM »
Also....what are the chances that those ridiculous sex parties actually happen? I'm sure to some extent wealthy, influential folks get together to shag some nasty hookers but what the show suggests seems a bit over the top.

I was wondering that too.  How they had a bus arranged to bring all the girls in.  Seemed very well planned and would require a lot of people to be in the "know".  But I bet it does happen, especially in a place like LA.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #270 on: July 31, 2015, 01:01:57 PM »
Um...that shit totally happens.  :lol It is absolutely not farfetched. Even movies like Eyes Wide Shut that portray it pretty extravagantly aren't too farfetched. I've actually seen one of these things in action. A friend invited me to a party, and I had known she was a swinger...I arrive at the club, and people are looking at me weird as all hell (I later found out it's because I wasn't either naked and/or wearing some weird shit..not to say that people were all 'Eyes-Wide-Shutting-it', but some people did have more just funny/halloween-y costumes to cover their face..mostly people were just naked/very close to it)...and when I get into the main room, the girl that invited me is getting fucked by about four different guys in a room with all glass and there's about 150-200 people in this big ass room, watching, playing with each other, some other people fucking. It was insane. I stayed for about two minutes and yelled her name, gave her a thumbs up, and then bailed out of that mofo like a fire was lit under my ass.

I'm down with some freaky shit in the bedroom now and again, but holy hell. So yes, definitely not farfetched. Does it happen everyday like a normal thing? Probably not. But believe you me, this crazy shit does indeed happen; and I'm sure moreso with the insane rich people. As in...they're insane AND rich/wealthy.

Ed: Oh and I should mention this was in Los Angeles.  :rollin

RIP DTP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: July 31, 2015, 01:41:19 PM »
lol thats a good story

Offline faizoff

« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2015, 01:48:08 PM »
Wow @TioJorge

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: July 31, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
Um...that shit totally happens.  :lol It is absolutely not farfetched. Even movies like Eyes Wide Shut that portray it pretty extravagantly aren't too farfetched. I've actually seen one of these things in action. A friend invited me to a party, and I had known she was a swinger...I arrive at the club, and people are looking at me weird as all hell (I later found out it's because I wasn't either naked and/or wearing some weird shit..not to say that people were all 'Eyes-Wide-Shutting-it', but some people did have more just funny/halloween-y costumes to cover their face..mostly people were just naked/very close to it)...and when I get into the main room, the girl that invited me is getting fucked by about four different guys in a room with all glass and there's about 150-200 people in this big ass room, watching, playing with each other, some other people fucking. It was insane. I stayed for about two minutes and yelled her name, gave her a thumbs up, and then bailed out of that mofo like a fire was lit under my ass.

I'm down with some freaky shit in the bedroom now and again, but holy hell. So yes, definitely not farfetched. Does it happen everyday like a normal thing? Probably not. But believe you me, this crazy shit does indeed happen; and I'm sure moreso with the insane rich people. As in...they're insane AND rich/wealthy.

Ed: Oh and I should mention this was in Los Angeles.  :rollin

I've always been curious as to how Syphilis and Chlamydia remain prevalent.....

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #274 on: August 01, 2015, 09:51:13 AM »
 :yarr

RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #275 on: August 02, 2015, 04:16:18 PM »
Would someone kindly explain what "Time is a flat circle" means.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: August 02, 2015, 07:15:34 PM »
Would someone kindly explain what "Time is a flat circle" means.

"F***, I don't want to know anything anymore. This is a world where nothing is solved. Someone once told me, 'Time is a flat circle.' Everything we've ever done or will do, we're gonna do over and over and over again. And that little boy and that little girl, they're gonna be in that room again and again and again forever."

Rust Cohle

I think it's basically something along the lines of we just keep repeating this life over and over....no matter what....no difference or changes to it....just over and over and over. There's a ton of explanation online if you Google it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #277 on: August 02, 2015, 08:07:16 PM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: August 02, 2015, 09:08:45 PM »
Holy Cow what an episode! That was intense....Frank is taking care of business! Bummer that Ol' boy (forgot his name) got waxed at the end :tdwn i was hoping he'd make it out alive.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #279 on: August 02, 2015, 09:42:11 PM »
I'm not bummed, I never really got where his character was coming from in the first place. Maybe the phone will come into play.