Author Topic: True Detective on HBO (merged)  (Read 23438 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: True Detective on HBO (merged)
« Reply #350 on: June 25, 2016, 10:45:58 AM »
That's why if there's gonna be another story with Rust, it has to be before the events of Season 1, or possibly during that "missing" time period.  But filling in what happened during the gap would almost have to tie in to the events of Season 1, otherwise there wouldn't be much point.  Or maybe Pizzolatto can come up with a relatively self-contained story, some series of events that happened during that time which is compelling enough to warrant its own season.  It would be cool to explore that, and the character, but then it would almost seem wrong to not have Marty there as well.  Rust was awesome, but the interplay between the two of them was part of what made the show.

In fact, part of the whole setup of the True Detective series is the two leads.  If Rust's new story doesn't have Marty in it, then Pizzolatto would need to come up with another character, equally awesome or at least close enough to share time with Rust Cohle.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #351 on: June 27, 2016, 08:03:11 AM »
It would definitely be weird, and it would certainly be tough.  But I am just as certainly not against it on any sort of "it shouldn't be done" principle, and if they make it I will watch it.

That first season of True Detective is probably my favorite single season of any show ever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #352 on: June 27, 2016, 10:47:25 AM »
Yeah, it was pretty amazing.  If they can do it again, cool.  If not, it still stands alone.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #353 on: June 27, 2016, 04:40:15 PM »
Ditto on the favorites, Hef. It's not that I'm against the actual idea of it at all but I'd be totally blown away and utterly in awe if this came to fruition and it even came anywhere near the same league that S1 is now solidified in. As I said, I'd love it. But at this point it's a pipe dream. Probably beyond even that.

Granted, I thought the EXACT same thing about Better Call Saul and they made that work. However, I will say that Gilligan, as far as track record goes, has shown himself to be a much more consistent writer than Pizzolatto. I mean...I really don't even consider S2 of TD to be in the same league as S1. BCS to me is as good in the writing (at times better) than BB. But if the tie-ins worked with that...maybe Pizzolatto can make it work as well.

It'd take some serious effort though. BB had a lot of room to work with. TD was much more concise than BB despite the actual time frame of TD. Even though it spanned years there is a certain knowing in all of it whether it was spoken word, backtracking, or simple hints. Maybe it's just me but it'd feel so damn cheap if there "just so happened" to be this huge series of events that happened in one of the "unknown years" of Rust's life that wasn't mentioned in S1 that they used for Rust Detective (TM). Like...it'd be good enough to build an entirely new season around but just so happened to have zero mention in S1? Eh. It's just very fragile given how amazingly written S1 was and how detailed it is. If S1 is near perfection, this one would have to be even closer.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #354 on: June 28, 2016, 03:13:11 AM »
BCS is a different thing because Saul was a side character. Bringing Rust back would be like bringing Walter back, I just don't see the point other than "OMG ITS RUST".