Author Topic: True Detective on HBO (merged)  (Read 23610 times)

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
Re: True Detective on HBO (merged)
« Reply #140 on: May 21, 2014, 12:49:53 PM »
So...IF she accepts who would you pair with her?? Here are three very random choices:

Vera Farmiga
Zoe Saldana
Laurie Metcalf...yes...you read that right.  :)

I think any of these actresses could play "gritty, kick ass" very well.

I like those.   BUT, How about Frances McDormand?  Laura Linney? Great actresses.  Or somone else in that age range, it Could be an elder with a long past.  It would harkin back to a partnership like Freeman and Pitt had from Seven.  Could really be a great dynamic.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2014, 12:56:15 PM »
Sooo supposedly she hasn't been offered the role... :lol

Damn it...this is why I try to stay out of the rumor mill.. Granted, they're not gonna explicitly say that she's in it if she's only considering it but even so.. Grain of salt taken.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2014, 08:58:31 AM »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2014, 09:23:49 AM »
Mcconaughey open to return.....

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mcconaughey-open-true-detective-141727777.html#Be7cQ3
Yeah, I saw that.

Although that's a far cry from WILL return.

And I can't imagine bringing his character back for any meaningful role.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2014, 10:52:27 AM »
Mcconaughey open to return.....

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mcconaughey-open-true-detective-141727777.html#Be7cQ3
Yeah, I saw that.

Although that's a far cry from WILL return.

And I can't imagine bringing his character back for any meaningful role.

Yep. No certain commitment but it's nice to know that if the story or role was compelling enough it could happen. I agree that a 'meaningful' role would be tough to come by....if it were post Yellow King. However, if they were to center it around his days as an undercover NARC? That may have some legs.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2014, 02:54:48 PM »
Yeah, his days as Crash could be cool.

But I thought the idea was that it was an anthology show anyway.  Next season will be a completely different story and cast.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2014, 07:29:02 PM »
Right, Orby. There's not gonna be any Matthew next season. If there is, I'll give you my address and you can attempt to crucify me. No offense whatsoever to Gman, but Yahoo News might as well be a dumpster tabloid :angel: ...I mean, c'mon, they're calling the next confirmed season, by the creator himself, a 'rumor' that 'might' happen. The fuck?  :lol It's pretty rampant news that's been out for quite some time now. Yeah, the Chastain listings for lead actress were rumors, but everything else is a completely confirmed fact.

The second season is happening, and it's going to be based in California. Yahoo news is sophomore...as is most of Yahoo now. Not that I'm questioning the fact that Matthew said that, I'm sure he did, I'm more than sure he wants to return; it was both lucrative and without a smidgen of a doubt it was absolutely enthralling, just watching the show (and especially the behind the scenes) can confirm that much. But he won't be in next season and I doubt he'll be in the next. But down the line, should he still want to reprise his role, that'd be fuckin' awesome to see him as a cameo character in a season completely disconnected from the first, in a small scene or two. That would be invigorating, giving a new meaning to the connected world. I'm sure this is all happening in the same 'universe' and is primarily based in the real world, though with it being the second season, who knows?

But this isn't anything to gasp at...it's the actor investing interest; don't get me wrong, still awesome to know, I'd love to see him again. But at this point in the life of the show, it's little more than a tidbit... Then again, that wouldn't garner views, would it?  :\ :huh: :tup :corn :xbones :angel: :xbones :-[ :metal :) :mehlin :( :hat

RIP DTP.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2014, 12:53:29 PM »
So this is apparently coming out on DVD and Blu Ray on Tuesday. I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't wait to dive back into the gloriously grim world of True Detective again. What a fantastic show and I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of extras are on the release.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2014, 02:56:26 PM »
Hell yes, been waiting for a while now. Definitely doing a marathon of the show the day it comes out.

RIP DTP.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2014, 02:15:09 PM »
The truest marathon: BEGIN DETECTION!

Actually I started it last night (or early this morning), already on E3. This is probably never gonna be surpassed for me...it's so god damn perfect.

Really awesome to go back (though it's my third viewing) and see stuff I missed or catch a phrase or an image that alludes to the real mystery.

RIP DTP.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2014, 04:37:59 PM »
I'm probably going to wait to find a deal or something, $40 for an 8 episode season on bluray is a little beyond my price preference.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #151 on: June 09, 2014, 09:45:37 PM »
Just finished the 4th viewing; to me, it's totally worth it, every penny. It's my favorite series by far and away at this point. I absolutely love when the end song kicks in and the camera just focuses on the night sky and slowly you see more and more stars...perfect soundtrack too. It's a truly beautiful series. I honestly don't think that the second season will touch this one no matter what they do, for me at least, but I'm still excited to see what Pizzolatto comes up with. I also think they're at an immediate disadvantage because of different directors every episode, but then again plenty of amazing series have had numerous directors for multiple episodes so...here's hoping. Though...god damn, is Fukunaga some kind of wizard behind the camera. Absolutely beautiful series. 20/10; would be raped again.

RIP DTP.

« Reply #152 on: June 09, 2014, 09:51:51 PM »
Just finished the 4th viewing; to me, it's totally worth it, every penny. It's my favorite series by far and away at this point. I absolutely love when the end song kicks in and the camera just focuses on the night sky and slowly you see more and more stars...perfect soundtrack too. It's a truly beautiful series. I honestly don't think that the second season will touch this one no matter what they do, for me at least, but I'm still excited to see what Pizzolatto comes up with. I also think they're at an immediate disadvantage because of different directors every episode, but then again plenty of amazing series have had numerous directors for multiple episodes so...here's hoping. Though...god damn, is Fukunaga some kind of wizard behind the camera. Absolutely beautiful series. 20/10; would be raped again.
Yeah, this is how I feel. The first season set such a high bar in terms of the writing, acting, and cinematography that it will be very, very hard for the next not to be a disappointment in some way. I almost feel bad for the season 2 team as they will be endlessly compared to the escapades of Rust, Marty and the Yellow King. It'll be interesting to see where Nic goes from here and if he'll be able to find someone as good as Cary to fully realize his vision.

I'm gonna hopefully pickup the first season tomorrow. Supposedly Target has it on sale for 29.99 for the blu ray. I have some gift cards so hell yeah bring it Target.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2014, 09:06:09 PM »
Looks like amazon dropped it to 29.99 right now. I'd ideally like to spend $20 on this set, I guess if nothing this is the next best price.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2014, 10:28:20 AM »
Id really like to watch again, just need to find the time.  I really enjoyed the series on my first watch but I watched the episodes too far apart and know I missed many things or forgot them inbetween viewings.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2014, 11:06:44 AM »
I don't do too many series on DVD/Blu-ray, but this is one that I would love to have.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2014, 09:46:02 PM »
Just finished this. I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't call it my favorite show, but it's highly enjoyable with a great cast. Episodes 4 and 8 were the best!

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2014, 03:14:07 PM »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »
Vince Vaughn?? Really? Okay... Could be interesting.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/true-detective/news/1931243/tv_talk_casting_is_true_detectives_biggest_mystery/

I'll have to trust the judgment of the writer(s) on that one. I'm not a huge Vaughn fan but it could end up being great just because it would seem to be an out of the ordinary role for him. Given the fact the article says the character he may play was written with him in mind....it just could be a pleasant surprise. 

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
Yeah...considering he would play the main antagonist, it may go over okay actually. Although a departure for him onscreen, I can actually see him as being a creepy bad assed prick very well if the role called for it. I think he could do low-key psycho very convincingly.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2014, 08:06:17 PM »
I love it, I could immediately see him stealing the show as some creepy-as-all-hell murderous freak. Either way it goes though, I'm not giving this even a smidgen of salt until anything official. Rumors these days are so fuckin ridiculous and rampant. I have my doubts, but I could see it happening. Still not giving credence.

RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2014, 11:19:21 PM »
After seeing Vaughn's laughably bad performance in the remake of Psycho (a film that never should have been remade in the first place), I have a hard time envisioning him being good in any serious role. He's like Adam Sandler: a one-trick pony.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2014, 12:37:11 PM »
Sandler wasn't terrible in the serious roles I've seen him in.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #163 on: August 10, 2014, 12:57:17 PM »
I think a film made over 15 years ago is a pretty poor representation of an actor's ability now; not to mention that Vaughn was hardly the problem with the film, I actually don't think he was that terrible for the absolute utter SHIT he had to work with. As you said, it shouldn't have existed in the first place. I don't like Vaughn much at all; in fact, I really dislike most of his movies. But if anything can wring-out the talent out of someone, it's True Detective and the people behind it. I have complete confidence that the creative minds behind the show will make sure that who they hire will be up to snuff.

RIP DTP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2014, 03:09:11 PM »
Sandler wasn't terrible in the serious roles I've seen him in.
I thought he was fantastic in Spanglish.  I wish he would make more films like that, instead of the crap comedies he's been making lately.  He's lost "it."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: September 22, 2014, 11:43:05 AM »
So Colin Farrell is confirmed for Season Two. Thoughts on that? I think he's a decent actor and it'll be interesting to see how he does with a well written script (presuming the writing team can maintain season 1's brilliance) and good direction.

https://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=890010

« Reply #166 on: September 22, 2014, 12:19:25 PM »
Colin Ferrel is great when he gets good material to work with. It's just that he's picked so much questionable material over the years.

Color me excited.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2014, 05:19:41 PM »
https://www.imdb.com/news/ni57773767

So, first Farrell and now Vaughn is confirmed.  They have peaked my interest.  However, I was under the impression from previous chatter they were going to have females be the protagonist.  guess not.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2014, 05:46:01 PM »
That was one theory, but I don't think there was anything definite regarding having female leads.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2014, 05:59:32 PM »
Not sure about the direction the new Director Justin Lin may take it?  I looked at his Bio and he has done a few Fast and Furious movies, which I deplore, and most of his acheivements seem flashy.  I like the dark vein that the first season kept throughout and this pick as a director worries me a bit.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #170 on: September 23, 2014, 06:20:12 PM »
He did the Modern Warfare episode of Community so he's OK in my book.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #171 on: September 24, 2014, 09:44:32 AM »
Same writer + HBO = I trust it until I have reason not to do so.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #172 on: September 24, 2014, 10:02:20 AM »
Same here.  I thought the first season was great, and had no idea that Matthew McConaghey had acting chops of that magnitude.  Woody either, to be honest.  Colin and Vince are somewhat in the same boat with me.  I don't think they suck or anything; I just haven't necessarily seen anything by them that blows me away either.  So I'm hoping to being pleasantly surprised, possibly even blown away.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: September 24, 2014, 08:02:11 PM »
It's either gonna blow us away, or will suck horribly. If it sucks it's because Vince will overact, and Colin will stand around and let his nostrils flare. For both of these actors, when they're on, with great material, they're pretty good. When they suck, I can't stand either one of them.

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2014, 10:01:08 PM »
I have slight reservations. Agree with TV, while the writing was great, many of Rust's lines would have have sounded hackneyed and a little shit without that magnificent performance to accomodate it. Not putting it down at all, just that the performances have to match up with the writing or anything the characters say will be off-putting. Especially since we're not sure what to expect as far as mood and characters go aside from basic info, we could be setting ourselves up for disappointment because they will, without a doubt and try as we might to resist, be compared to the previous season's. And they have to be able to differentiate the atmosphere of this new season while keeping that ominous and unnsettling feel into play. Which is why I'm both glad and sad at Fukunaga's absence. Lin is probably well aware that this isn't the flashy, high octane stuff he's used to, but there isn't much else he's done. The DP is the same though,so it's not too worrisome. It's just if Pizzolatto is going to be able to make this stand out on its own ultimately. Hopefully the longer season means it won't rush to try and match up to the last and will be devoid of the "perhaps he was a painting a green house" kind of oh fuck off moments that hurt the end of last season.

Gotta admit, even though I though TD was some of the best television I've seen in my short years, I'm surprised to see it mentioned so often in the best crime drama thread.

Also I'd like to suggest In Bruges and Triage, both very great films and the latter underrated. That should make some feel better about Farrell, at least. Vaughn on the other hand, well...
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington