Author Topic: True Detective on HBO (merged)  (Read 23562 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: True Detective on HBO (merged)
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2014, 10:27:30 AM »
Your brain is much more detail oriented than mine then. I watched the tease at the end of last week and I can't remember a single thing from it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2014, 10:46:16 AM »
Maybe.  I don't actually watch a lot of TV, but the shows I do watch, I tend to watch because I appreciate the detail and obvious care they've put into it.  My wife watches a shitload of TV, and even recorded, she doesn't bother skipping over commercials (which I always do) and sits through the previews and credits and everything.  Mostly because she's too lazy to push a few buttons, but still.

I watch TV a few hours a week, so I make it count.  I absorb as much as I can, and read up on it later, to get the most out of it that I can.  Some teasers can show a lot and still leave you with no idea what's going on, but even those, I've seen them and I'll try to piece things together once I watch the episode.  It's distracting.

But on the IMDb boards, they've checked the credits and already know which actors/characters will be returning for Episode 8, and they're discussing it.  I don't even want to know that.  If someone shows up again, hey, it's that guy from Episode 3 or whatever.  If someone never shows up again, I guess they weren't important.  But on a show like this, if they do show up again, it probably is important.  I therefore don't even want to know that they're going to show up.  I just want to watch things unfold.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2014, 01:49:07 PM »
If this was mentioned previously I apologize, but, I decided to rewatch the series today and did anyone else notice the opening shot after the theme song on episode?.........................(possible spoiler)

It didn't make sense then and I forgot about that shot.       It was 2 men (now I believe to be rus and marty)  holding eeach other and limping out of a burning field, about 4-5 secs then it cuts to Marty being interviewed by the detectives.
I believe that's your ending shot.  Interesting and intruiging if true

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2014, 01:56:27 PM »
If this was mentioned previously I apologize, but, I decided to rewatch the series today and did anyone else notice the opening shot after the theme song on episode?.........................(possible spoiler)
It didn't make sense then and I forgot about that shot.       It was 2 men (now I believe to be rus and marty)  holding eeach other and limping out of a burning field, about 4-5 secs then it cuts to Marty being interviewed by the detectives.

That was one of the guys that burnt the field. Remember, the on-scene police officer explained to Marty that she was found because they were burning out the fields. I don't believe this was Rust or Marty. I started to when I first saw it too, but then the cop made the statement about them burning out the field.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 02:41:43 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »

That was one of the guys that burnt the field. Remember, the on-scene police officer explained to Marty that she was found because they were burning out the fields. I don't believe this was Rust or Marty. I started to when I first saw it too, but then the cop made the statement about them burning out the field.
I remember that but it still seems out of place, u may be right

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2014, 05:31:45 PM »
 I actually do believe that is rus carrying Marty arm in arm, I watched it again.  Then it cuts to someone starting the burning of the grass,  I believe those are 2 separate scenes.  Just a guess

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2014, 09:33:49 PM »
Spoilers:

Here is a very interesting take on events..Many of which I and others have proposed. Sounds like we may all be on to something. Guess we'll see. Can't wait until Sunday.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/03/-em-true-detective-em-spoiler-y-speculation-about-the-finale/284288/

I have a new theory. I think Martys father-in-law is involved;  and the Yellow King is Errol, the lawn mower dude, or Steve Geraci.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:06:11 PM by TempusVox »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2014, 10:54:08 PM »
Spoilers:

Here is a very interesting take on events..Many of which I and others have proposed. Sounds like we may all be on to something. Guess we'll see. Can't wait until Sunday.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/03/-em-true-detective-em-spoiler-y-speculation-about-the-finale/284288/

I have a new theory. I think Martys father-in-law is involved;  and the Yellow King is Errol, the lawn mower dude, or Steve Geraci.

Pretty neat....and like you said, it covers ground that we've discussed here. But in fairness we've convicted near every character at one point or another  :lol I'm excited to see how it all plays out
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2014, 07:49:24 AM »
I am not looking at anything like that.  I don't want the viewing to be tainted.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2014, 09:11:53 PM »
Okay..so for about 20 minutes there I had to remember to breathe. Very nicely done, but looking back they could do without all the symbolism. It created a ton of speculation and theories about what happened, but it left a ton of loose ends I think too. At any rate, overall, I loved this series. MM should win an Emmy for his performance. His portrayal was on par with Jessica Langes in Season 1 of AHS, IMO.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2014, 10:25:54 PM »
Well, I tried like hell.  I got through a good amount of the 3rd episode, but this is just not doing it for me, so I am ditching it.  I know I probably should love it, but I just don't.  I find myself totally bored watching it.  Sorry guys, I tried. :(

Plus, I have HBO Go now, so I want to dedicate my time to watching some shows I've always wanted to watch - like The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, etc. - instead of wasting my time trying to force myself to like something. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2014, 10:52:01 PM »
Okay..so for about 20 minutes there I had to remember to breathe. Very nicely done, but looking back they could do without all the symbolism. It created a ton of speculation and theories about what happened, but it left a ton of loose ends I think too. At any rate, overall, I loved this series. MM should win an Emmy for his performance. His portrayal was on par with Jessica Langes in Season 1 of AHS, IMO.

MM deserves that Emmy for sure. Great series....good finale....I appreciate the fact they kept it realistic to the point of the guy was just a nut job psycho with a few nut job psycho buddies. They did leave it open to where there could be more involved, but hey....I'm good with the finale.

Question. The room Hart walked throught to get to the half sister in the bathroom.....was that like an abortion room? Multiple chunks of meat everywhere...soiled towels....a tub....stack of air freshner? Looked messed up.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2014, 04:23:18 AM »
Highway depressed why insatiable for banana polite consciousness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHWLpJRlBYA

(check the link and you'll understand)

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2014, 07:50:15 AM »
Um... yeah.

So anyway, it's over, and that's kinda depressing.  Like everything else about this show.  Okay okay, that's not fair; the show was supposed to be depressing, I think.  It was an unfiltered look at a bleak, dirty part of life, through the eyes of some pretty damaged, fucked-up guys. 

SPOILERS

Despite the serious near-deaths when they tracked down and confronted the spaghetti monster, I still somehow came away feeling disappointed by how the ending played out.  Like it still didn't have some kind of BANG that I was expecting.

As Nic Pizzolatto has been saying all along, there's no supernatural, there's no ridiculous plot twist, it's just a detective story.  The first five episodes, by jumping back and forth between 1995 and 2012, with the occassional stop in 2002, created a tension and challenged the viewer.  Once we got to Episode 6 and the narrative played out straight, it was just another show.  A great show, with great writing and brilliant acting, and I was invested in the characters and it was cool to see them together again, but still a "regular" show.

At the end, with both of them in the hospital, they were teasing each other and giving each other shit in a barbed yet good-natured way which we really hadn't seen before.  I'm thinking it was like the rapport they'd developed during seven years of being partners, ten years ago, and it was supposed to be good to see them sharing that again.  But since we really didn't get to see it before, it seemed to come out of nowhere for me.

Both men cried.  Both men finally let it out, after 17 years of torture.  They got their man, it's over.  Marty seemed pretty much the same, maybe a little brighter.  Rust was almost positive and optimistic, which was the biggest change.  He felt.  He felt the love, he even talked about it, and hey, from his viewpoint, the light is winning.  That's some real progress.  Especially since I thought he was gonna die.

Despite the slightly underwhelming ending, which really couldn't have gone any other way, it was overall a good show.  An excellent show.  I'd watch it again, given the chance, but I've got HBO free for now and it's ending soon, so I don't know when that chance will be.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2014, 08:39:06 AM »
pretty good summation of my thoughts as well, Orbert.  I felt the journey was much better than the destination for this show.  Overall I felt they could have done a bit more with the ending, but all in all it was a seriously fun ride.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2014, 08:51:49 AM »
Excellent episode with good writing, great acting and very beautiful/disturbing cinematography. The plot was logical and linear so I don't feel unduly surprised or cheated. I have no complaint with the intensity of the climax. Like TempusVox said, it was a good twenty minutes of squirming and breath-holding.

Still, I somehow came away feeling disappointed in the outcome much as Orbert describes. It's pretty strange. Previously I was keen to watch the whole series over again to get a better understanding of the investigation but now I don't feel that way. Would I watch it again to immerse myself in the acting? Maybe, but I'm guessing I'd be annoyed by the unresolved threads in the show.

Was the plotline involving Marty's daughter a red herring or simply the producers/director's way of showing us how everyday problems can sometimes be misread? Just providing mood or foils for Marty's character? I'm confused.

I would still recommend this mini-series to anyone who likes great drama: Grade A.
As a who-done-it I'd give it a B grade, I suppose. Am I wrong? I'm eager to be persuaded.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2014, 09:35:06 AM »
I dunno, guys.  Not sure what you were expecting for you to be disappointed in that finale.  Maybe you read one online speculation too many?  So glad I didn't really read any of those. 

I thought it was excellent.  And if MM doesn't win an Emmy, THAT will be a conspiracy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2014, 09:40:40 AM »
I know Hef, right? That could be it...too much speculation and anticipation. Like I said before, I literally have no complaint with the show. I didn't even find it particularly anti-climatic. It was terrific! Seriously.

So what the hell is my problem?  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
I dunno, guys.  Not sure what you were expecting for you to be disappointed in that finale.  Maybe you read one online speculation too many?  So glad I didn't really read any of those. 

I thought it was excellent.  And if MM doesn't win an Emmy, THAT will be a conspiracy.

I think you're right. Any disappointment could be derrived from the fact that the fans turned the show into something the writer said all along that it wasn't. I particularly liked how they didn't take it to an 'unbelievable' level. That it remained grounded.

And I really enjoyed the closure (I guess) that Kohl got from his near death experience. After all the 'dark'....life is pointless diatribe that he confessed to everyone at every instance.....presumably brought on from the tragic loss of his daughter.....he came "full circle" so to speak with the reward of feeling her eternal presence....being present with her for eternity. I liked that.

I liked how pretty much the entire series the writers made it a point to show how much more intelligent Kohl was than Hart and even at one point having Kohl state to Hart.... that Hart was nothing without him.....and then the final piece of the puzzle was solved by Hart, the green paint....and they even took the time to show the level of amazement on Kohls face at the fact he had not seen or discovered that.

I really thought it was a good series. Looking forward to seeing how they carry on with season two. 

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2014, 03:13:18 PM »

I think you're right. Any disappointment could be derrived from the fact that the fans turned the show into something the writer said all along that it wasn't. I particularly liked how they didn't take it to an 'unbelievable' level. That it remained grounded.

And I really enjoyed the closure (I guess) that Kohl got from his near death experience. After all the 'dark'....life is pointless diatribe that he confessed to everyone at every instance.....presumably brought on from the tragic loss of his daughter.....he came "full circle" so to speak with the reward of feeling her eternal presence....being present with her for eternity. I liked that.

I liked how pretty much the entire series the writers made it a point to show how much more intelligent Kohl was than Hart and even at one point having Kohl state to Hart.... that Hart was nothing without him.....and then the final piece of the puzzle was solved by Hart, the green paint....and they even took the time to show the level of amazement on Kohls face at the fact he had not seen or discovered that.
I really thought it was a good series. Looking forward to seeing how they carry on with season two.
Great summation!   I think some people missed the boat on what the purpose of the story was.  It was about Marty and Rus relationship.  The last 20 mins of the show solidify that.  Everything else is just a backdrop for what is the the true intent; the relationshipi of two cops from totally different backgrounds working a case over 2 decades and how it evolvedbecause of that case.
That scene of mutual comraderie and partnership in the hospital parking lot amidst Rus revelation was the best scene in the entire series IMO.   I loved this ending and shed some tears with matt's glorious performance about seeing his daughter in the warm darkness. F-ing incredible!
I am already rewatching the series. Loved the ending

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2014, 07:07:41 PM »
I haven't read anything but the last couple posts but I don't know how anyone could be disappointed in that finale. I thought it was gorgeous, tense, brooding, and then wrapped a nice little pink bow on top of it all when I expected a shit storm and then cut to black. I didn't expect them to get out alive but it was well done...and that last monologue?  :'( :heart :hefdaddy

I think this is a series ('this one' at least...since sadly no more Mathew or Woody) that, for me at least, is going down in television history. This might take Breaking Bad's spot for me and it did it in eight episodes... I am definitely going to do a marathon run once it comes out on Blu-ray. This whole series is just a masterpiece in every way.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2014, 07:46:47 PM »
I haven't read anything but the last couple posts but I don't know how anyone could be disappointed in that finale. I thought it was gorgeous, tense, brooding, and then wrapped a nice little pink bow on top of it all when I expected a shit storm and then cut to black. I didn't expect them to get out alive but it was well done...and that last monologue?  :'( :heart :hefdaddy

I think this is a series ('this one' at least...since sadly no more Mathew or Woody) that, for me at least, is going down in television history. This might take Breaking Bad's spot for me and it did it in eight episodes... I am definitely going to do a marathon run once it comes out on Blu-ray. This whole series is just a masterpiece in every way.

:tup :tup :tup    I will sorely miss this series. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2014, 09:34:22 PM »
After I think it was 4th episode, I stopped reading all about the show. While it's fun to read about theories and come up with your own it almost always tends to not hold up when the show finishes. It's probably why I enjoyed all 8 episodes so much. I mean after the first episode itself I didn't really care what the case was or who did what I was just so caught with the story telling narrative. I was hooked to those 2 characters from the start. I really hate that I'll probably have to wait a year for the next season and the bluray release of this show.

I have a feeling this is going to be my fav show of the year.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2014, 07:13:12 AM »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #130 on: April 12, 2014, 12:25:44 AM »
Just gonna leave this right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbO61Nd0Jlk

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: April 12, 2014, 09:37:09 AM »
 :lol :rollin

Awesome!! Ross Marquand is a great talent. Very funny guy! A very dear friend of mine is Jim Meskimen and the two of them just did a web series called "The Impression Guys". Very funny stuff. I would never tell Jim, but Ross is as gifted as he is I think.  :biggrin:

Here is the second one in that same series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_2231643691&feature=iv&src_vid=xbO61Nd0Jlk&v=2tyUWVk7B9k

:lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »
He's got the voice down, which to me is probably the most important and most difficult part of doing a good impression.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2014, 09:50:39 PM »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2014, 09:54:38 PM »
Just saw that myself...interesting! I haven't seen much of her work so this will be exciting if she accepts.

RIP DTP.

Online faizoff

« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2014, 10:06:32 PM »
Just saw that myself...interesting! I haven't seen much of her work so this will be exciting if she accepts.

She's a fantastic actress and I think she'll be great on the show if she signs. Some great movies she's in Zero Dark Thirty, The Help, Mama and Lawless (though her part is just for the bewbs)
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2014, 10:42:20 PM »
Well Jessica Chastain offered lead role in next TD.  sweet Pick.

https://www.nerdist.com/2014/05/exclusive-jessica-chastain-offered-lead-role-in-hbos-true-detective-season-2/

Kinda funny when you consider her preceding lead in the show was Matthew McConaughey, whom she is co-starring with in Interstellar latter this year.

But yeah, terrific pick! :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2014, 11:13:26 PM »
Also they just released pre-orders on iTunes. June 9th woooot. Finally...I love watching it on the big-screen On Demand but it'll be nice to just be able to watch the show in HD on the puter and devices.

RIP DTP.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2014, 12:17:17 AM »
So...IF she accepts who would you pair with her?? Here are three very random choices:

Vera Farmiga
Zoe Saldana
Laurie Metcalf...yes...you read that right.  :)

I think any of these actresses could play "gritty, kick ass" very well.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2014, 12:52:09 AM »
I think Freddie Lounds from Hannibal should play opposite her...TWO redheads? Shiiiet, das a mudda'fuckin' CYCOSAYN team yo.

RIP DTP.