Author Topic: True Detective on HBO (merged)  (Read 23626 times)

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
True Detective on HBO (merged)
« on: January 12, 2014, 02:08:54 PM »
This premieres this evening and thought it might be a great thread to discuss.  Anyone else in here interested.  The storyline and cast look very intriguing.  I have heard and read a few reviews and they all rave about it. Some reviews claim it may be one the best shows of the year.

The previews look dark and terrifying.  Also, HBO generally produces a great product.

Whats your vibe!?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 03:34:11 AM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: True Detective on HBO
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 02:13:18 PM »
It does look good. I've heard and read nothing but great reviews on it. And, they are saying it's going to be an Anthology series.... A la American Horror Story. That it won't necessarily have the same cast each season...but follow a theme of sorts.

But I am interested in seeing the chemistry between Harrelson and McChonehay (I know I misspelled those) because apparently they give fantastic performances.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:20:49 PM »
It does look good. I've heard and read nothing but great reviews on it. And, they are saying it's going to be an Anthology series.... A la American Horror Story. That it won't necessarily have the same cast each season...but follow a theme of sorts.

But I am interested in seeing the chemistry between Harrelson and McChonehay (I know I misspelled those) because apparently they give fantastic performances.

I wasnt aware that it was to be an anthology.  Thats pretty cool!  It gives them a lot of wiggle room for future stories.  What has been amazing, is, how they have kept the story line under wraps until recently.  The plot is still a mystery.  As far as casting Matt and woody...Perfect.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:23:34 PM »
Looking forward to this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 07:08:58 PM »
I recorded it and will be checking it out later when I can commit to watching an entire episode in a sitting.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 07:18:26 PM »
I'm looking forward to watching this when it makes its way on to HBO Go.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 11:34:40 AM »
HBO was free this past weekend so I saw a few previews for it and it looked like it had potential but I didn't get to watch it.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 05:21:30 PM »
Well, they got me on the first episode!  The opening sequence is shocking and the detail is well thought out.  The dynamics between, woody and matts characters are the best part of the show. Both characters have pasts that will be revealed like layers of an onion as the season goes on.  The play with time (1995-2012)  will be interesting as well

I highly recommend this.  Anyone else catch this yet?

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
Yes. Should be very interesting as the season progresses. I am assuming MM's character is no longer a cop. I won't spoil the final scene, but it appears the game is still afoot.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 03:09:55 AM »
Finally got to catch the first episode.  Incredible, I am definitely hooked.  The subject matter is dark and intense, the writing is great, and the performances are smoldering.  Simply fantastic storytelling.  Can't wait for episode 2 tonight.

HBO does it again. :clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 07:41:11 AM »
Finally got to catch the first episode.  Incredible, I am definitely hooked.  The subject matter is dark and intense, the writing is great, and the performances are smoldering.  Simply fantastic storytelling.  Can't wait for episode 2 tonight.

I haven't had the chance to watch it yet but have been meaning to.

.HBO does it again. :clap:

Makes me wish they hadn't passed on 'The Walking Dead'. I don't think it's been hindered too much being on AMC, but man....if they had the freedom that comes with Paid cable channels it'd have been even better.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 10:25:43 AM »
This show is excellent
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 12:43:04 PM »

Makes me wish they hadn't passed on 'The Walking Dead'. I don't think it's been hindered too much being on AMC, but man....if they had the freedom that comes with Paid cable channels it'd have been even better.

I'm not so sure. I mean other than language I'm not sure what else they could add. It could have wound up campy like True Blood. I think the restraints of being on AMC have caused the producers of WD to be more creative.

Do like this new series though so far.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »

I'm not so sure. I mean other than language I'm not sure what else they could add. It could have wound up campy like True Blood. I think the restraints of being on AMC have caused the producers of WD to be more creative.

It's really the language and budget. Especially with a future prominent character in TWD who uses the 'F' word every other word.....I'm curious as to how they'll adjust that.

I agree the limited budget has forced AMC to get creative.....but then again, it's limited only because of their greed/idiocy. 

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 05:52:50 AM »
HBO usually gives its creators full control, as well.  AMC meddles heavily where it can (and gets pushed back heavily, like with Mad Men, where it can't.)

True Detective is like the epitome of HBO's style of management.  One guy with a vision got the control and resources he needed.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 11:11:02 AM »
I actually enjoyed the second episode even more than the first. A ton of backstory in this one. Cannot wait until next Sunday now.

And im just gonna come out and predict that either McConaughey or Harrelsons character had something sinister to do with this case. I have no reason to think that other than a gut feeling because of how things are shaping up. Just sayin.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 12:10:49 PM »
Yeah, or the new cops at least suspect McConaughey's character of being up to no good.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 12:19:48 PM »
haven't watched last night's episode yet, but I love the dark atmosphere on the show so far.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 12:38:56 PM »
I've heard this show is worth watching just for the wonder that is Alexandra Daddario.  :lol :lol

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 03:35:50 PM »
I've heard this show is worth watching just for the wonder that is Alexandra Daddario.  :lol :lol

Nude no less.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »
I actually enjoyed the second episode even more than the first. A ton of backstory in this one. Cannot wait until next Sunday now.

And im just gonna come out and predict that either McConaughey or Harrelsons character had something sinister to do with this case. I have no reason to think that other than a gut feeling because of how things are shaping up. Just sayin.

What I am wondering is that the 2 of them are forced into a rush to judgement from the guys higher up in the pecking order, who seem to just want to solve the case as soon as possible.  I feel that may be the issue here.   Its funny how everyone thinks it was a satanist.  Cohn (Mccaughnehy) has such disdain for that reverand he meets and just some of his cooworkers beliefs.  I love that Cohn character.  awesome!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 09:57:19 AM »

Seriously.  I've seen the clips.  She is amazing.

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
True Detective
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 01:03:47 PM »
Anybody watching this? It's an anthology-style police procedural with Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson and it is fucking great. Only 4 episodes in and the show has easily had some of the best cinematography I've seen seen in a show, including Breaking Bad with all of it's magnificent shots. Last night's episode ended with a jaw-dropping tracking shot that was like 8 minutes long and super intense the whole way through. The story's already complex, the atmosphere and tone is dreamy and cerebral - definitely a huge breath of fresh air and I highly recommend it to anyone.
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: True Detective
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 01:07:11 PM »
I've heard nothing but great things and absolutely love both actors. I'm actually about to watch all 4 episodes (or however many I've managed to DVR...I know I was running low on space...errrrg) in a row what with this being my day off. A bottle of wine and some awesome police drama, woot woot! Can't get much better on a rainy, cold day. I'll definitely come back and post my impressions, but I can't see how I won't love the hell out of it.

P.S. I thought we already had a thread on the show? Maybe I'm making that up...or just saw the name in the TV thread...hrrrmmm... :huh:

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 01:21:31 PM »

Yeah, I was surprised there wasn't a thread on it already.

Definitely one of those shows that are perfect for a gloomy day/3 a.m.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 01:37:31 PM »
Been watching....Haven't seen last nights episode yet but man.....the acting is spot on and you can just 'feel' that there is something awry with one of those detectives. They are making it seem like it'd be McConaughey's character by the way they've developed him but at the same time they've shown Harrelsons character to be a bit shady as well.

Being that the majority of the show has been centered around those two, that's why I suspect the big 'reveal' or secret of the series will most likely involve one of them. I doubt it's as simple as a cut and dried murder case.

Great show though....killer writing.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 02:21:13 PM »
Watched last nights episode. Very intense. This has been a great show so far.

*POSSIBLE SPOILER*
I started to really wonder about MM's character (Cohle) early on, after last night even more so. When you see the preview for the next episode you'll really wonder. Last nights activities were very tense, and you got the sense that WH's character (Hart) was in awe of MM's. But I feel that Hart being blown away by Cohles activities was an intentional set-up. Especially after Harts marriage issues. He was especially vulnerable to being swept up by Cohle. Let me just say that I won't be surprised if there is not some major twist with the Cohle character. Or it could all be a ruse for the viewer to distract from Hart somehow. Even knowing either of those scenario's are a possibility, this show is so good that I would still be really happy to see either scenario play out.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 02:24:46 PM »
P.S. I thought we already had a thread on the show? Maybe I'm making that up...or just saw the name in the TV thread...hrrrmmm... :huh:

You're right, there is a thread ("True Detective on HBO") but it is in Page 3 now.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 02:48:31 PM »
That long tracking shot at the end of the episode was one of the greatest cinematic things I've ever seen.  I was absolutely stunned, and my mouth was literally hanging open.  Simply awesome.

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
I feel like it being either of them is too obvious, but the irony and little things in the show make it hard to come to any other conclusion. like, Hart running over the bicycle in his uncontrollable rageand claiming he's not a psycho, Cohle's general shadiness and saying things like that as a policeman he can do terrible things with inerrancy, they're both so wonderfully written. "True Detective". My brother had a really convincing theory that one of them is the 95 killer and the other is the 2012 killer, but I think we're intentionally being mislead to think that one of them did it and there's so many factors to take in. I mean, Cohle is the perfect person in that small town to pin the murders on should that be the case

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2014, 06:34:55 PM »
DAMN YOU HBO! Urrrgh. I fuckin' love this show, that was awesome. Without a single doubt my new obsession and favorite crime drama. What a fantastically macabre, genius, character-driven show. McConaughey is absolutely mesmerizing, and Harrelson is just as much of an enigma but in a way that I didn't expect... I'll be honest, I was disappointed to learn that this will be an anthology series after watching the first few episodes (Friggin' HBO On Demand still doesn't have episode 4 so I haven't seen it yet). American Horror Story (while on a completely separate level) has proven to me that the inconsistencies of such a format are very daring and might lead to the early demise of a show (I myself have all but lost interest entirely in AHS after being so involved in the first season). HBO being at the helm will make things different, but it's still unsettling to know that McConaughey and Harrelson probably won't be returning, and if they do it won't be in the lead and will be an entirely different story.

Either way, this is an awesome start and I cannot wait until it all comes together. Now I am literally waiting for ep.4 to come out on On Demand....FFFFFFFFFFFF-

RIP DTP.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2014, 08:10:21 PM »
P.S. This show has the greatest opening of all of the times.

ALL OF THEM!

Ed: Dammit that was supposed to be an edit...my bad.

RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 08:26:07 PM »
Just watched last nights episode.  Wow! This show is something. Very well put together and

That long tracking shot at the end of the episode was one of the greatest cinematic things I've ever seen.  I was absolutely stunned, and my mouth was literally hanging open.  Simply awesome.

Pretty much that! What a scene. Can't wait to see how this all pans out.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 06:34:36 PM »
Mods, you should merge this with the other thread.  thanks!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2014, 09:44:35 PM »
Cohn (Mccaughnehy) has such disdain for that reverand he meets and just some of his cooworkers beliefs.  I love that Cohn character.  awesome!

Yeah, his character is very well written. As a man of Faith I often find myself having issues with 'atheist' characters in movies or TV shows because they are just SO over the top anti God. McCaughnehy's character is so well written that when he presents his 'matter a fact' dismissive opinion about God....although it's still in an ignorant fashion it's well done and well thought out.  Like it comes from a man who once had deep Faith and seemingly had it ripped away or he forcefully ripped it away himself at one point.