Author Topic: Best bootlegs?  (Read 11866 times)

Offline abrandnewname

Best bootlegs?
« on: January 06, 2014, 03:50:39 PM »
Hello everyone, I am currently looking for Dream Theater bootlegs. Does anyone have a particular favorite or know any really good quality ones?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: Best bootlegs?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 04:41:40 PM »
Well.

YYYY.MM.DD (the dates are straight off my memory, I'll put a (*) where I'm not entirely sure of the day)

1992.06.08 - DT opens for Iron Maiden, spectacular performance by James LaBrie
1992.10.04 - One of the first shows of the IAW tour, showcases JLB's live voice before health and fatigue issues came into being within a few weeks.
1993.03.04 - Official bootleg, first performance of Eve, To Live Forever with James, ACOS with vocals, first ever two-act show
1994.09.sth - The Rudess Experiment bootleg, a one off show with Jordan Rudess on the keys before the band decided to hire Derek Sherinian after JR turned down the offer to join the band full time.
1995.01.24 - Almost official, surely officially video broadcasted. Typical show of the Awake tour, James struggles more than a bit because of the recent injury
1995.01.31 - Legendary Ronnie Scott Club gig, a paradise for those who love the cover-heavy side of DT. A very fine bootleg, sound is perfect but there is hardly one DT song there!
1995.06.09(*) - First performance of ACOS post renewal. James sings the original "mercy fuck" line.
1995.10.28 - Official Bootleg, one of the three Japan shows that made up the entirety of the ACOS tour. Strong performance all around, great setlist and covers.
1997.04.14(or15, both are equally valid) - Amsterdam shows, Small Club Adventure! Crisp sound, great vocal performance, many songs from Falling Into Infinity are played in their original form (the album was still to be recorded!)
1998.06.22 - First semi-unplugged gig, this one was the famous Rotterdam show for the International Fan Club members. Lots of unusual songs making the setlist, very intimate vibe and perfect sound. A must have!
1998.06.25 - The Lost Paris Tapes, what was played at Le Bataclan the day Once In A Livetime was recorded, but didn't make the final cut on the CD!
1998.12.29 - (Heading For PlanetX) The second to last show with Derek In The Band, another semi unplugged show but with an extended setlist. Some very rare songs are played, some of which are not easily available elsewhere
2000.02.04(*) - The show that was interrupted by the fire officier during The Spirit Carries On. A very famous incident almost every fan knows all about!
2000.10.20(*) - Glasgow, very weird stuff happens, the band appeared to be on a jolly mood. I believe that's the Canadian Rap day.
2002.03.28 - One of the longest shows in DT history, two full sets plus an encore plus the entire Master Of Puppets album covered. All in New York City
2002.06.sth - Bucharest, Official Bootleg. Because honestly you can't not have it.
2002.11.03 - Rotterdam. A fairly standard (great) late SDOIT era show, with Children Of The Damned thrown in during the encore. It's probably the best sounding DT bootleg of all time, it rivals offiicial releases.
2004.04.02 - A great show from Philadelphia, with Pink Floyd's Echoes covered! Also, the full A Mind Beside Itself suite is there!
2004.04.03 - Arguably the best DT show of all time. Lenghty Drum and Keyboard solos, longer than usual instrumental jams, good vocals, guest cello player, Pull Me Under, the only other performance of Disappear. At the Theater At the Madison Square Garden
2004.09.21 - Last show of the tour in Monterrey, Soundboard quality, if you dig deep enough you might find an excellent multicam DVD of this. Great performance with a prog-heavy setlist in the tour where DT suppored Yes.
2005.10.29 - What is probably the strongest performance of the Octavarium Tour. A nice 2DVD 2CAM mix of this exists, James probably tops Score
2007.06.sth - One of the shows where the entire IAW is performed. A good one is the one played in Clermont-Ferrand
2008.01.30(*) - A rare evening with show played in Australia to homage the Aussie fans who had never been able to see the band perform in their hometurf before
2010.07.10 - Great one off DT-only show in the middle of the Final Frontier tour supporting Iron Maiden. One of the best shows and probably the best setlist of the BCSL era
2011.07.04 - First show in the Mike Mangini era. The sound is not the best ever, but the occasion is historic!
2011.10.02 - Chicago, a great DVD of a standard US leg performance.
2012.02.21 - Milano, strong performance, strong crowd partecipation, the band dedicated TSCO to a fan who had died a few weeks earlier in the Concordia shipwreck.
2012.07.16 - The best sounding recording of the ADTOE tour, and probably one of the best performances of the tour itself. Another must have!

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline abrandnewname

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 04:54:51 PM »
Wow thank you! I just sent an email to join the Dream Theater hub, is all of these on there or where can I find them?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 05:21:56 PM by abrandnewname »

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 05:01:09 PM »
 :lol Wasteland you freakin rock.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 07:26:26 PM »
Here are my corrections to wasteland's post - some are merely the correct dates (wasteland, you disappoint me with your inaccuracies on dates!!!!   :loser:), some are different shows from the same time period

1994.09.09 - The Rudess Experiment bootleg, a one off show with Jordan Rudess on the keys before the band decided to hire Derek Sherinian after JR turned down the offer to join the band full time.
1995.01.23 - Better sounding than the show the following day (both are soundboards) and it has PF's In the Flesh.
1996.12.14 - Official bootleg, so the sound will be better than 1997.04.14(or15, both are equally valid)
1998.06.25 - Once in a Complete LIVEtime - the complete show (as opposed to The Lost Paris Tapes)
1998.12.27 and 1998.12.30 - Between these two shows, you'll have all the songs played during the 98 Home for the Holidays shows (including what is on 1998.12.29)
2000.10.18 - Glasgow, very weird stuff happens, the band appeared to be on a jolly mood. I believe that's the Canadian Rap day (it is).
2002.07.04 - Bucharest, Official Bootleg. Because honestly you can't not have it.

I'd also recommend:
2000.05.16 - it features the full SFaM, plus all the medleys that they played up until that time, some of which are not on LSFNY
2002.01.19 - warm up gig for the Six Degrees tour with the band screwing up a bit (so it's proof they are human!)
2005.12.06 - official DVD bootleg with songs not on Score
2006.03.28 - features some other songs not on Score (in particular, Learning to Live and Home)
2009.08.29 - last show of ProgNation 2009 in North America, featuring the longest ever version of Beyond This Life (I think about 30 minutes), altho most of the additions come from "Percussive Nation 2009" (drum solo including the drummers from the opening bands) and a jam with Dweezil Zappa and Steve Vai
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »
Wasteland and Scotty, this is utterly fantastic!!!   :tup I was just looking for something like this recently.  Many thanks!!

Any suggestions on where I might locate this gem from the list?

2002.11.03 - Rotterdam. A fairly standard (great) late SDOIT era show, with Children Of The Damned thrown in during the encore. It's probably the best sounding DT bootleg of all time, it rivals offiicial releases.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 07:57:53 PM »
Wait... there is a listenable bootleg of the 09 LA Prognation show? Where / how would I be able to get my digital paws on this?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 08:28:30 PM »
Wasteland is slipping, Scotty.    :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 02:17:34 AM »
I've been out of the loop for quite some time, guys...  :sadpanda:

Still, I hold with some of my recommendations, like 1998.12.29 over the others (it's the best non GDT recording of the end year tour, which is why I didn't mention Poughkeepsie), 95.01.24 may not have In The Flesh, but it's a pro recording and has JM's birthday song. Finally, I'd take the 97 preview shows over the 96 home for the holidays every day of the week. The setlist is the same, and James is actually able to sing on the former! Plus, Amsterdam is strongly suspected to be a soundboard recording, so quality would be compatible to the official bootleg.

ETA: This might very well be one of the most nerdish DT conversations of all time.  :lol
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:35:24 AM by wasteland »
- Marco

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 03:48:27 AM »
I've been out of the loop for quite some time, guys...  :sadpanda:
Yes, but I've been out of the loop much longer than you!  ;)

Still, I hold with some of my recommendations, <snip> 95.01.24 may not have In The Flesh, but it's a pro recording and has JM's birthday song.
Since both shows are soundboards, I'd take the show on the 23rd instead if just because JM's bass doesn't sound so obnoxious as it does on the 24th (like a galloping horse - UGH!). And as for the birthday song, I'd rather take In the Flesh instead.  :P

This might very well be one of the most nerdish DT conversations of all time.  :lol
You haven't read the interviews I did with MP then, have you?   :-*
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 04:11:10 AM »
You may very well be, but you were much more "in the loop" back then than i have ever been! And no, I didn't read those inties... What was in there?

As for the 23vs24 controversy, I think that having a visual feedback more than compensates the absence of In The Flesh (which I think is present in the Ronnie Scott gig as well as in the official bootleg from October 95). And I also favoured 24 for greater availability (hell, I bought that one in a bookshop :lol:)
Which is also why I chose not to include any GDT-only relelase, or I would have never overlooked 04.09.05, as you very well know :D
- Marco

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 05:56:47 AM »

Since both shows are soundboards, I'd take the show on the 23rd instead if just because JM's bass doesn't sound so obnoxious as it does on the 24th (like a galloping horse - UGH!). And as for the birthday song, I'd rather take In the Flesh instead.  :P

I didn't like the JM bass sound on that either.  I don't know whose screw up that was for that show.

You haven't read the interviews I did with MP then, have you?   :-*

Where are said interviews?

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 08:21:48 AM »
Wait... there is a listenable bootleg of the 09 LA Prognation show? Where / how would I be able to get my digital paws on this?

I know for a fact there is a copy of this. And if I recall BTL came in at over 33 minutes.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 08:38:09 AM »

I know for a fact there is a copy of this. And if I recall BTL came in at over 33 minutes.

I would love to hear the jam on that!   

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 09:22:26 AM »

Now that you guys mention it, I think I have this one.  :tup Not really sure where I found it, but it might have been in one of the two big mail trades I've done in my career (damn, it's been three years already...).

I know there's a GDT version of the show (and a special release too!) which I don't own, and I'm not sure it's not from there, as all the other GDT releases the guy sent me came with artwork, while this didn't. But if Bobs here wants to be sure, I'll be glad to send him a sample for safety check before I share it!
- Marco

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 10:35:43 AM »

It was really cool. I still chuckle when I think about Dweezil trying to keep up with JR/JP/Vai
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 10:52:03 AM »

It was really cool. I still chuckle when I think about Dweezil trying to keep up with JR/JP/Vai

It probably wasn't as bad as watching the Queensryche guitarists try to keep up with JP during the cover of Comfortably Numb.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 05:37:15 AM »
I still hold that the greatest Dream Theater show of all time was that Glasgow show from 2000.  What a trip.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 07:01:34 AM »
How can you argue with a bootleg that included Metropolis Part 1, ACOS, and LTL?  PLUS Candadian Rap and the other shenanigans that occured.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 07:07:42 AM »
Unfortunately I haven't heard the full show, but the Canadian Rap is enough to make it legendary :D

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 08:24:58 AM »
How can you argue with a bootleg that included Metropolis Part 1, ACOS, and LTL?  PLUS Candadian Rap and the other shenanigans that occured.

I argue that there was no F#  :biggrin:
- Marco

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 08:42:35 AM »
The F# does rule!

Another show that needs to be added to any Dream Theater fan's bootleg collection

6/9/1990 - at Sundance in Bay Shore, Long Island. First show with Creep With Tonality (I'm not even going to say what song that ultimately became), First show with A Change of Seasons (old version), and the first and only appearance of Steve Stone as the band's singer.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 10:33:52 PM »
Any suggestions on where I might locate the "Rotterdamned" show from 2002.11.03??  Tried looking online for a good download location but all I've found are links that don't work or torrents that set off major alarms with my anti-virus software....

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 03:05:11 AM »
I'll upload it soon enough. :tup
- Marco

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 08:43:43 AM »
You da man!!!  Thanks, wasteland!!!
 :biggrin:

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2014, 03:59:28 PM »
Any additions from the recent tour? After listening to a few, the Manchester 2-source bootleg sounds pretty great. Plus, the band sounds really great. Only listened to a few from the European tour so far though. :P

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2015, 03:27:15 PM »
I`m sorry for bumping this, but in Wasteland`s list there are a few bootlegs which seem to be really interesting, but I couldn`t find them anywhere. If anyone of you could help me out, I`d be really happy.

Boots I`m looking for:
2000.10.18 - Glasgow, very weird stuff happens, the band appeared to be on a jolly mood. I believe that's the Canadian Rap day
2002.03.28 - One of the longest shows in DT history, two full sets plus an encore plus the entire Master Of Puppets album covered. All in New York City
2004.04.03 - Arguably the best DT show of all time. Lenghty Drum and Keyboard solos, longer than usual instrumental jams, good vocals, guest cello player, Pull Me Under, the only other performance of Disappear. At the Theater At the Madison Square Garden

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2015, 03:44:54 PM »
I`m sorry for bumping this, but in Wasteland`s list there are a few bootlegs which seem to be really interesting, but I couldn`t find them anywhere. If anyone of you could help me out, I`d be really happy.

Boots I`m looking for:
2000.10.18 - Glasgow, very weird stuff happens, the band appeared to be on a jolly mood. I believe that's the Canadian Rap day

I have all of these.

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2015, 02:37:10 PM »

Boots I`m looking for:

I have all of these.

Well, could you possibly help me getting these? I don`t have many boots to trade, so that might be a bad idea...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2015, 10:22:56 PM »

Boots I`m looking for:

I have all of these.

Well, could you possibly help me getting these? I don`t have many boots to trade, so that might be a bad idea...

Send me a PM.

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 09:25:24 AM »
Did so 2 days ago.