Author Topic: Mladen's Top 50 albums v. #1 "Sorry, but it's time to go."  (Read 17273 times)

Offline Mladen

Mladen's Top 50 albums v. #1 "Sorry, but it's time to go."
« on: December 27, 2013, 01:40:27 PM »
Following so many of the lists various members of DTF have been posting over the years made me think of how fun it must be for one to thoughtfully work on a list of his own and then post it for the board members that might or might not care about which albums the member picked.

So that is pretty much what this will be about. I selected fifty albums, most of which I discovered from 2004 onward, since that's probably the year my musical taste started to mold into what it became today. Of course, it's still changing and developing, but this is where I'm at at the moment, although I could say my list would have probably looked like this about a year or so ago as well.

My list is filled with prog, rock and metal classics that most of the board members have to be familiar with, but there are a couple of slightly more obscure choices, at least for this forum. I hope some of you will find it interesting.  :smiley:

So without further ado, I would get right into it with the first couple of albums:

50. Metallica - Master of puppets (1986)

It’s questionable if the term “thrash metal” can be applied to Metallica’s music. I was never insanely into thrash, but their blend of the thrash metal roots with the sensibility to include some clean sections and the progressive influences make them one of the more interesting bands of the genre. Many fans would say that Master of puppets is the album where Metallica achieved the perfect balance between their core elements. The songs are long, diverse, complex, dynamic, but most of all, they all feature some of the revolutionary riffs that changed music forever.

Favorite songs: Master of puppets, Disposable heroes, Battery

49. Rush - Power windows (1985)

This is in my opinion Rush’s strongest album of the synth era, featuring some of their most melodic songs. The choruses are memorable and fun, but the songs are still detailed, progressive and a challenge to listen to. Lifeson’s guitar solos stick out in particular on this album, being that the listener isn’t constantly bombarded by guitar riffs due to the keyboards having a more central role. The keyboards give the band an extra layer of emotion and power, which became much more apparent to the fans years after the album was released. It’s a very unique album that proudly stands among the band’s best records.

Favorite songs: Marathon, Mystic rhythms, Middletown dreams

48. Iron Maiden - Powerslave (1984)

An absolute heavy metal classic and one of the fan favorites. This is an album that made them big worldwide, and for a reason – this album is everything you want an Iron Maiden album to be. As such, it was the perfect one to introduce me to the band. My mother bought it for me as a gift after I enrolled high school in the summer of 2006, and it was one of my first oldschool heavy metal albums. The soaring vocals, long songs, heavy yet melodic guitars and profound lyrics were still a relatively new thing for me. Seven years later, Powerslave is still highly enjoyable and stands among my all time favorites.

Favorite songs: Back in the village, Rime of the ancient mariner, Powerslave
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 02:25:18 PM by Mladen »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Mladen's Top 50 albums v. 50 - 48
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »
Master Of Puppets! :metal :2metal: :letam:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 03:39:46 PM »
Following.  Absolutely amazing start.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 03:59:52 PM »
Maiden and Metallica are great choices, but not too keen on Power Windows. I hope this isn't the last we see of Rush in your countdown.   ;)

Offline adace

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 05:14:52 PM »
Not crazy about Power Windows but the other two are fantastic. :tup

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
Following and shit.

As I've told others that rank MoP, I just don't get it.  :dunno:  Both Power Windows and Powerslave are great albums, but far from the best (or my favorite) that either band had done.

Looking forward to following this one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 07:48:03 PM »
great start!  All three picks are awesome.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 10:45:29 PM »
What a way to start off. Master of Puppets and Powerslave are probably my favorites from their respective bands. Definitely among my all time favorites.  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 02:00:31 AM »
Following.  Absolutely amazing start.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 08:35:51 AM »
Shit, M, that has to be the best 50-48 on any list so far!'
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 08:47:15 AM »
Great start!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mladen

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 04:33:43 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words, everybody, I hope I’ll manage to keep you all interested until the very end.  ;D Moving on...

47. Spock's Beard - The Light (1995)

I got into Spock’s Beard a year or so before I discovered the prog rock of the 70s. They probably came up on one of the websites with someone comparing them to Dream Theater. Their colorful and uplifting album covers and the fact that they were apparently similar to Dream Theater convinced me to check them out. What immediately struck me about this particular album was its accessibility despite the lengthy songs. All of their key elements are present, and even though they’ve continued to create amazing music to this day, they have never matched the quality of their debut – it’s still the most representative band release.

Favorite songs: The Water, The Light, On the edge

46. Helloween - Keeper of the seven keys 2 (1988)

Power metal isn’t too prominent on my playlist nowadays, but this album stood the test of time. The cheerfulness of most of the tunes can truly make my mood every now and again. But then again, even though it’s a fun listen, the album is obviously no joke – the songwriting and musicianship on here are absolutely stellar, with all of the band members being at the top of their game. I also consider it to be a perfect introduction for anyone that’s not familiar with the band or the genre in general. Fans around the world would say that power metal hardly gets better than this, and it certainly laid the foundation for so much music to come.

Favorite songs: Keeper of the seven keys, I want out, March of time

45. Dream Theater - A Dramatic turn of events (2011)

It’s not like this album is a huge return to form for Dream Theater, since  I loved the releases prior to this one. However, A Dramatic turn of events is much more focused on being as close as possible to the core sound of the band, which is apparently what they needed to do at that point of their careers – luckily enough, the result really hit the spot for me. Everything about this album sounds like a conscious effort, the arangements are well thought out, the vocal melodies are strong and memorable, and there’s the perfect amount of diversity. They truly did a great job with this one.

Favorite songs: Bridges in the sky, Breaking all illusions, Beneath the surface

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mladen's Top 50 albums v. 47 - 45
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 04:49:17 AM »
So far I've owned every album!! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 04:52:04 AM »
Well that's a pretty amazing start. I'm not a big fan of Metallica but that aside I own all these and rate them.
PW was in my top 50. Powerslave was close but I went with Killers.
ADTOE is a great modern DT album.
The Keepers albums are Helloween at their best. 2 or 3 for me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 04:56:17 AM »
POM is my favorite IM album.  Powerslave tour was incredible to see.  So was the Power Windows tour where I met Geddy on the opening night of the tour and then saw Marillion back them up and played all of Misplaced Childhood., another top 5 album for me.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 05:31:33 AM »
I like the Keeper pt. 1 more, I think, though both are quite terrific. ADTOE isn't even in my Top 5 DT albums, so can't agree here, but otherwise, both updates are fine.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 06:15:38 AM »
I tried the Keeper albums as my introduction to Helloween, and was underwhelmed.  Perhaps it was due to very high expectations from the almost universal fellating that most people provided it.  :dunno:

Otherwise, great update.  No complaints with those albums being in anyone's top 50.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ruba

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 10:20:43 AM »
Ha, I've heard five of them so far.

MOP is absolute classic. PW is good, but my least favourite of the synth era. Love Mystic Rhythms though. Powerslave is very good too. I think I have heard Keeper part 2 only once, but I enjoyed it. And ADTOE has some of the best DT songs of all time, but unfortunately has the worst DT song to date (BMU,BMD).

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 11:20:19 AM »
Don't know much about Spocks Beard, but everything else is right up my alley!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 12:40:05 PM »
Don't know much about Spocks Beard, but everything else is right up my alley!
Same here.

I tried the Keeper albums as my introduction to Helloween, and was underwhelmed.  Perhaps it was due to very high expectations from the almost universal fellating that most people provided it.  :dunno:
I'm not sure if they sound a little dated, but those two albums are stellar. Back when they came out, there was really no one else playing music like that.
Keepers Pts 1 & 2 (together) made The TAC Top 5.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 10:07:11 AM »
I'll be away for a couple of days, guys, so I'll do an update right now. Happy New Year, everybody.  :tup

44. Thin Lizzy - Jaibreak (1976)

The most popular record by one of the most underrated bands of all time. Even though Jailbreak contains a couple of  timeless hard rock classics, some strange circumstances prevented the band from being as enormous as their contemporaries. For those who decide to dig deeper into the history of rock, it’s mind-boggling that such a band never made it huge. Thoughtful lyrics, twin-guitars, powerful drumming, chugging bass lines and heartfelt vocals are pretty much everything a guy could want from a band. Those are the characteristics I would easily attribute to Thin Lizzy and this album in particular.

Favorite songs: Cowboy song, Jailbreak, The Boys are back in town

43. Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

Here’s an album with a fantastic flow, it starts of well and keeps getting better and better towards the end, where it ends with two of the band’s most emotional pieces of music. The feel of the album is dark and unsettling at times, then the very next minute it becomes warm and intimate. Steven Wilson and the guys really take you on a journey, balancing between heaviness and beauty, loudness and tenderness. What makes Deadwing even more interesting are the progressive elements, like odd time signatures and unpredictable arrangements. It’s one of those albums that has something for every mood of mine.

Favorite songs: The Start of something beautiful, Glass arm shattering, Arriving somewhere but not here

42. Yes - Fragile

The centerpieces and obvious highlights of this album are the longer, epic songs, but the shorter tracks have a purpose as well, making the album easily digestible and more fun. They perfectly display how the band members work individually, with each one of them being able to show off their talent on their own, but once you hear how they work collectively, you’re blown away. As a whole, it’s a gorgeous, uplifting record that makes me remember why I fell in love with progressive rock in the first place. Of course, staring endlessly into the album cover reinforces the feeling the music itself gives you.

Favorite songs: Roundabout, South side of the sky, Heart of the sunrise

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 11:00:10 AM »
Fragile :hefdaddy A true masterpiece.

And it's great to see some Thin Lizzy love in here. :tup

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 11:13:58 AM »
Never heard Thin Lizzy, but the other two are fantastic.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 12:51:24 PM »
Never listened to the other two but the Thin Lizzy is fantastic

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »
I don't know if you're serious, or just contrasting my post, but either way it's hilarious. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 01:04:31 PM »
Never listened to the other two but the Thin Lizzy is fantastic

I have to quote you again JJ. I love Thin Lizzy. Jailbreak is not my favorite by them, but I love the fact that it made a Top 50 list.

Oh, and I just had to highlight this album again:
46. Helloween - Keeper of the seven keys 2 (1988)

Power metal isn’t too prominent on my playlist nowadays, but this album stood the test of time. The cheerfulness of most of the tunes can truly make my mood every now and again. But then again, even though it’s a fun listen, the album is obviously no joke – the songwriting and musicianship on here are absolutely stellar, with all of the band members being at the top of their game. I also consider it to be a perfect introduction for anyone that’s not familiar with the band or the genre in general. Fans around the world would say that power metal hardly gets better than this, and it certainly laid the foundation for so much music to come.

Favorite songs: Keeper of the seven keys, I want out, March of time

:metal :metal

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 01:07:01 PM »
Love those three albums. Jailbreak is the only Thin Lizzy album I'm familiar with but I love it. And Fragile is one of my favorites, as is Deadwing.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 03:37:13 PM »
Following! MoP, Powerslave and Deadwing are all great. I guess I should give Yes another chance by listening to Fragile. Same goes for Rush and Power Windows. I'm also getting into Spock's Beard at the moment, but I haven't listened to The Light yet.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 04:03:04 PM »
I don't know if you're serious, or just contrasting my post, but either way it's hilarious. :lol

:) I was serious and I thought it was a good way to post it lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »
Some great albums here.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »
MOP and Powerslave are just spectacular works!!! :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 09:46:01 PM »
From 47 down to 42 are all GREAT albums except for Thin Lizzy...not a fan. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 03:20:23 AM »
From 47 down to 42 are all GREAT albums except for Thin Lizzy...not a fan.

Shame on you. 

Such a classic, amazing and underrated band.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 07:12:28 AM »
Always good to see some Thin Lizzy appreciation.  :tup  OK, where was I...

41. Captain Beefheart - Trout mask replica (1969)

I like some craziness in my music, but I understand why this would be way too much for some people. It’s also hard for the fans to explain what they find so enjoyable about this mess and chaos of a record. I believe that, after the first listen, the listener is either completely thrown off or intrigued. If you’re intrigued, you’ll keep returning to it and discover the little bits of melodies and hooks that hold onto your brain harder than any supposedly catchy chorus you would hear on radio. This album is an impressive accomplishment, one of the most unique records of all time, and a true testament to the genius of the late Captain Beefheart.

Favorite songs: Pachuco cadaver, Moonlight on Vermont, Frownland

40. The Beatles - Revolver (1966)

Sometimes it can be easy for me to forget the significance of Revolver. The reason might be that its predecessor already marked a departure for the band, and the follow up was extremely different from anything heard in music up to that point, so that’s why Revolver gets somewhat overshadowed. However, even though some of the song have a similar vibe, this album is still pretty adventurous, containing a couple of tracks that were truly ahead of their time. I consider it to be a masterful, transitional album, the one that paved the way for the experimental nature of their later releases. 

Favorite songs: Tomorrow never knows, Here, there and everywhere, Love you to

39. Bruce Dickinson - Chemical wedding (1998)

Despite being a member of the best band in the world, Bruce Dickinson realized at one point in his career that he needs to work on his own. He enbarked on different adventures on his solo records. Chemical wedding shows the man at his darkest, heaviest and most sinister. The guitar duo of Roy Z and Adrian Smith turned out to be great, with them delivering some crushing modern riffs, but still maintaining the melody and soul you’d expect from an Iron Maiden guitarist. Even though it came out in an era where classic heavy metal was long done and forgotten, I’m sure this album will go down in history as one of the essential albums of the genre.

Favorite songs: Book of thel, The Tower, King in crimson

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mladen's Top 50 albums v. 41 - 39
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 10:50:19 AM »
Eh, you lost me on those two. I think the Beatles are one of the most overrated bands in music. Somebody in a previous top 50 mentioned that captain beef heart band and I checked them on YouTube at the time. IMO they are the shittiest of the shit. Bruce however rules!