Author Topic: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Final Results posted!!!  (Read 42644 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Round Three results
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2014, 06:57:07 PM »
I was kinda kidding, it's an epic tune and all, but at 15 minutes, it's just a bit much for this roulette.

Still thinking.....

Edit: Got the perfect band, will send soon...

Edit 2: and sent yo...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:58:21 PM by lonestar »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2014, 11:58:36 PM »
Had to resend.  I went crazy and sent a live version of a cover song.  I'll be impressed if anyone can guess it.

Hint: It's fucking awesome, and better than the original, and the covering band's studio version.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2014, 03:51:11 PM »
Mmmnnn.  Send a cover song of a banned band that is totally different and gets the blood flowing or another ass kicking song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2014, 04:26:39 PM »
Mmmnnn.  Send a cover song of a banned band that is totally different and gets the blood flowing or another ass kicking song.

Well, I'm certainly curious about this cover now, so even if you decide not to send it as part of the roulette, you should still tell me what it is sometime.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2014, 04:49:42 PM »
Alright!  Cover sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2014, 06:37:24 PM »
Sent.  Just took the mother-of-all-risks.  I either knocked it out of the park, or gave everyone a free pass to the next round.  Not sure there's any middle ground with this one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2014, 07:15:08 PM »
The middle ground is that I already know that song and have to ask you to pick something else, resulting in you wanting to punch me in the face. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: January 13, 2014, 07:28:50 PM »
Jaffa, you just backhanded Chad.  That bitch deserved it. :lol

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2014, 07:31:08 PM »
 :lol

In fairness, if I didn't already know the song, it would have almost certainly earned him first place this round.  So it was a great choice, he just got unlucky. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2014, 07:45:08 PM »
Now I'll ask Chad to send me the song so I can hear it in all it's glory........and still backhand that bitch.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: January 14, 2014, 04:55:07 AM »
Song sent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: January 14, 2014, 06:18:23 AM »
moi aussi
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: January 14, 2014, 02:38:18 PM »
moi aussi

I thought you were talking to me for a second.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: January 14, 2014, 04:28:19 PM »
moi aussi

I thought you were talking to me for a second.  :lol

Sorry, that's pretty much the extent of my bilingualism on display.  I may be a cunning linguist (:zydar:), but our bilingual education system requirements failed me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: January 14, 2014, 04:55:34 PM »
You damn Cunuck.  I know more French than you.

BTW.  DT special concert and a week after the DTF meetup!  WOOT!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: January 15, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »
I'm having trouble with my write-ups this round, so please be patient with me, but I'll try to have results ready within the next couple days.   
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: January 15, 2014, 02:06:10 PM »
You just have to worry about (aboot) Chad, that bastard.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: January 15, 2014, 02:24:01 PM »
You just have to worry about (aboot) Chad, that bastard.

You're the f'r that should worry about the boot!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: January 15, 2014, 04:03:01 PM »
 :lol

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: January 16, 2014, 09:40:12 AM »
How much would you guys hate me if I skipped the individual write-ups this round and just ranked the songs?   :lol 

Nah, just give me a little more time.  I'm just struggling to come up with interesting write-ups.  Several of the songs I received this round feel very similar to me, and when I try to write my thoughts on them, I find myself basically saying the same things over and over again about each song.  But I'm working on it. 

Bear with me!
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: January 16, 2014, 10:09:58 AM »
How much would you guys hate me if I skipped the individual write-ups this round and just ranked the songs?   :lol 

Nah, just give me a little more time.  I'm just struggling to come up with interesting write-ups.  Several of the songs I received this round feel very similar to me, and when I try to write my thoughts on them, I find myself basically saying the same things over and over again about each song.  But I'm working on it. 

Bear with me!

Nothing wrong with the KISS principle.  We know every song just made you go all

Online SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #196 on: January 16, 2014, 01:29:17 PM »
Take your time, I have this to keep me company!  :biggrin:

"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: January 16, 2014, 03:55:02 PM »

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: January 16, 2014, 05:33:58 PM »
Results time!

These write-ups aren’t great, but I’m getting tired of trying to come up with interesting things to say here, so fuck it.

In a nutshell, :metal

SomeoneLikeHim: Symphony X – ‘A Fool’s Paradise’
This is pretty awesome.  I’ve heard a couple Symphony X songs before, and I love the symphonic element of their music.  Nothing too fancy in this one on that front, but it’s still there, and it adds some nice layers to the song.  Gives it some character.  The solo section is terrific.  And the whole song definitely has a lot of energy.  Nice choice.

Buddyhunter1: Mastodon – ‘Blasteroid’
I have a little trouble taking this one totally seriously, because I find the lyrics downright laughable.  But aside from that, it’s a great song.  It definitely packs a lot of punch; it starts off hard and fast, it hits the ground running, and it never really lets up.  I could see myself working out to this.  The riffs are awesome, and I actually really like Mastodon’s vocals.  Cool stuff. 

lonestar: Stargate – ‘Save the World’
This is downright electric.  I can’t sit still while listening to it.  It also has a pretty unique atmosphere; it feels sort of futuristic to me, like musical science fiction, though I’m not sure what exactly it is that gives me that impression.  Whatever it is, it’s really cool.  There are some excellent guitar passages, and the drumming is great.  Sweet symphonic flavorings here as well, and great vocals.    I like it. 

Dr. DTVT: Therion – ‘Thor (The Powerhead)’ (Manowar cover, live)
For the record, this was his second choice.  He first sent me a Symphony X song that I already know and love. 

Sorry, but this really isn’t doing much for me.  The song itself feels shallow and artificial to me.  I imagine I would feel differently if I was actually there, because it’s certainly a powerful live performance – the vocalist has an impressive voice and a commanding presence, and singing along with those chants would make for an epic concert moment – but sitting at home and watching it on a monitor, I just can’t quite seem to get into it. 

adace: Kamelot – ‘Center of the Universe’
This one’s kind of unique in that a lot of the energy seems to come from the keys.  Usually fast-paced songs like this one tend to be driven by drums and guitars, and those elements are here, too, of course, but the keyboard passages have a way of really energizing the music in this one.  It’s really neat.  The slower section in the middle of the song feels a bit out of place to me, but overall, a great song. 

jingle.boy: Epysode – ‘Obsessions’
Spectacular.  This one is really firing on all cylinders, with awesome guitar work, great keys, solid drumming, and some truly amazing vocals.  The back and forth between the two vocalists is done really well.  The lyrics are pretty interesting as well; I’m definitely curious about the story of this album.  I love the dark, eerie mood of this one.  Now, excuse me while I stop typing and rock the fuck out. 

wolfking: Symphony X – ‘Set The World On Fire’
Ah, more Symphony X.  Not that I’m complaining – this is an awesome song, particularly for the adrenaline rush theme.  Makes me feel like going for a run, except I’m afraid I’d probably end up getting seriously hurt while attempting to run and headbang at the same time.  The drumming in this one is explosive for sure, and once again, I really enjoy the symphonic element of their music.  Plus, I love the chorus.  Lots of great stuff here. 

kingshmegland: Pagan’s Mind – ‘Through Osiris’ Eyes’
To be honest, I didn’t really get much of an adrenaline rush out of this one.  But maybe that’s just because it was the last one I received and I was already burnt out from listening to all the other songs.  :lol  At any rate, it’s still a very good song.  I love the vocalist, especially during the chorus.  The guitarist has a great sound, too; very crisp.  I was reminded, at times, of Iron Maiden, which is always a good thing.  I wasn’t blown away, but I do enjoy it. 

(Elite: Firewind – ‘Into the Fire’
Yes, Elite is out of the competition, but he submitted a song anyway, ‘for the hell of it’.  I thought that was nice of him, so I decided to go ahead and mention it here, for the hell of it.  Now I regret eliminating him, because this song is badass and might very well have won the round if he was still in it.)

Round Four rankings:
1. jingle.boy
2. wolfking
3. lonestar
4. SomeoneLikeHim
5. adace
6. buddyhunter1
7. kingshmegland
8. Dr. DTVT

Sorry, Doc.  You said in your message that you were taking a big risk here, and I guess it just didn’t pay off.  Truth be told, I’m generally not that fond of live versions in general; I often feel disconnected from them because of the simple fact that I’m not there.  That probably played a role in this decision, but even aside from that, I really feel that this song just wasn’t quite what I was looking for here.  So, I’m afraid you’re eliminated.  I feel especially bad about this, because your first choice would have fared much better if I hadn’t already been familiar with it.  If it’s any consolation, I bought Haken’s The Mountain due in large part to your sending me Cockroach King, so you’ve definitely had an impact on me, and I thank you very much for participating.  I hope there are no hard feelings.

In happier news, congratulations to jingle.boy!  I felt bad when I had to ask you to resend (he initially sent me Nightwish’s Planet Hell, a song which I’m already very familiar with), but it worked out okay, because your second choice was a homerun.  For that, you have earned immunity from elimination in round five.  Congratulations, and well played!

Round Five: Voiceless
Can’t have a prog roulette without an instrumental round, now can we?  This round, I don’t want to hear any vocals.  Send me some awesome instrumental songs instead. 

Submit your songs by January 20th.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:41:48 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Round Four results
« Reply #199 on: January 16, 2014, 05:53:46 PM »
Sweet, still in this!
Yeah, the lyrics to Blasteroid are pretty silly, but that's part of the song's charm, imo. Not every song needs to be taken super seriously.

I'll send something soon.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2014, 05:59:02 PM »
Fair point.  The lyrics certainly didn't ruin the song for me, they just added some :lolpalm: in addition to the :metal.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2014, 08:34:54 PM »
SomeoneLikeHim... sanitize that immunity idol, and pass that anal toy over here.

:footloose:

I'll give a tip of the feathered cap  :hat to Nem for that one.  Forever grateful to her for introducing me to that song - it's led to so much more.... Magali Luyten, Virus IV, Beyond Twilight, Rick Altzi.  And then the second Epysode release (part 2 of the story; just released a couple months ago) has renewed the love/interest for Borealis and introduced me to Triosphere.  It all started with Obsessions. 

Now... let me browse on over to my "Instruments of Fear" playlist, and find something.

But later.  Right now, I'm doing my own roulette listening.

Oh, and just gotta say that Nils Rue (vocalist for Pagan's Mind) is fuckin awesome.  That was a quality list of songs you got this round Jaffa.  Only disappointing thing is that I can now cross S-X off my list of potential bands to send.

Offline adace

« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2014, 09:00:09 PM »
I felt slightly unsure about the one I sent since I had another faster song in mind but I'm really glad you liked it. :tup

Will send soon.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2014, 09:06:18 PM »
Ah goddammit!!!!  I have the perfect song that would slay this round - triumph would be a guaranteed reality.  But, I promised to play with integrity and not steal anyone's thunder.  But, at least now that Doc is out, I can use his shit!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2014, 09:13:40 PM »
That was a quality list of songs you got this round Jaffa. 

Yep.  You people keep doing that to me.  I keep waiting for somebody to send me something I hate so I can eliminate them without feeling bad about it, but so far, no luck.  Every song I've received has been at least good. 

Of course, now that I've said that, you'll probably send me something awful this round knowing that I can't eliminate you.  :lol

I felt slightly unsure about the one I sent since I had another faster song in mind but I'm really glad you liked it. :tup

Still planning on using the faster one in a later round?  If not, I'd be interested in knowing what it was.  :)

Ah goddammit!!!!  I have the perfect song that would slay this round - triumph would be a guaranteed reality.  But, I promised to play with integrity and not steal anyone's thunder.  But, at least now that Doc is out, I can use his shit!

Ha.  Well, I hope I receive whatever it is from whoever you aren't stealing it from, because it sounds good. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2014, 09:50:12 PM »

That's the exact song I was thinking of sending too.  :rollin

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2014, 10:01:48 PM »
This round has me a bit stumped.
I might have to send something I got in my own roulette, thankfully all of my former participants except jingle.boy have been eliminated already. :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2014, 11:14:15 PM »
Well, shit. Now what am I to send?  :P

Edit: Sent something else!
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline adace

« Reply #208 on: January 17, 2014, 12:40:08 AM »
Sent for round 5 plus the faster song I was thinking of.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #209 on: January 17, 2014, 01:17:31 AM »
Sent biznitches!!!!