Author Topic: HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM DREAM THEATER (6:00 On A Christmas Morning!)  (Read 65690 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM DREAM THEATER (6:00 On A Christmas Morning!)
« Reply #140 on: December 26, 2013, 04:11:24 PM »
Pitchy means his notes weren't in key or on pitch a lot of the times.  A lot of his passing notes in his vox were off.  His big notes and long notes were good but the notes getting to those a lot of the time were either sharp or flat.

I haven't noticed, so I wouldn't say it's too significant, unless your ear is very sensitive to that sort of thing, I guess. Either way, I wouldn't say that his performances on the Holiday CD were so much better than his LALP. Some songs were great, but others were just okay on both releases. I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say that the Holiday release is so much better than LALP.

In regards to UAGM, he's pretty much been singing it that way most of the time live, doesn't he?

I haven't watched too many bootleg videos from the last tour, but the couple I have seen, along with the show I went to, he just sang it normally, the way he did on Score, pretty much.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #141 on: December 26, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »
I'm in the group that wasn't very blown away with his vocals on LALP, even though my friend insists its the best he has ever sounded. On this release, which I love very, very much, he still doesn't sound too great. Another Day particularly has what sounds like Chaos in Motion style tuning all over it (at least to me).
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #142 on: December 26, 2013, 04:34:07 PM »
Another Day was absolutely tuned and I mentioned that earlier too. You can hear it clearly if you're good enough at listening for it. In the real performance he hit some notes great and some notes flat. Here they're all in tune, but unnatural and CiMmy sounding much of the time.

I'm glad NONE of the other tracks were touched by auto tune. I mean, I guess I can't know that for sure, but given that in everything else theres a few flat notes and cracks here and there, everything matches previous bootlegs I've heard, and it all passes my quite good built in auto-tune detecter, I'd say it's safe to say only AD was touched.

Also, I forgot to add, this release has great stereo separation. That was another thing I like about it.  :tup

« Reply #143 on: December 26, 2013, 04:38:51 PM »
I'm in the group that wasn't very blown away with his vocals on LALP, even though my friend insists its the best he has ever sounded. On this release, which I love very, very much, he still doesn't sound too great. Another Day particularly has what sounds like Chaos in Motion style tuning all over it (at least to me).

Your friend might need a little refreshment. Put on Live at the Marquee, or Live In Tokyo DVD for him to remind him what JLB USED to sound like.

But of course, it would be incredibly unreasonable for us to expect him to sound like that after 25 years and a vocal cord injury. But would I say he sounds better than he did on the previous couple of live DVDs that he's done in the 2000s? Yeah, I'd say so. I mean, he sounded very solid in Score, but he also played it very safe for that entire show, never doing any improvised screams or varying the parts too much. On the recent releases, there's a lot more showmanship from him. He's being a better "front man" not just a better singer.

Another Day was absolutely tuned and I mentioned that earlier too. You can hear it clearly if you're good enough at listening for it. In the real performance he hit some notes great and some notes flat. Here they're all in tune, but unnatural and CiMmy sounding much of the time.

How many times did he do Another Day during this previous tour? Was it a regular part of the set at some point? I only remember one Youtube video I watched where he did Another Day during the encore, as an Images and Words anniversary celebration. And it sounded pretty bad. But of course, I think making him do a song like Another Day for the encore is kind of ridiculous. It's a tough song as it is, and at the end of the night when he's all worn out, it would be very tough.
But my point is, if that's the performance on the Holiday release, then I'm not surprised at all that they had to autotune it. And I actually don't mind how it sounds at all.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #144 on: December 26, 2013, 05:15:24 PM »

That was the only performance.

Your friend might need a little refreshment. Put on Live at the Marquee, or Live In Tokyo DVD for him to remind him what JLB USED to sound like.

But of course, it would be incredibly unreasonable for us to expect him to sound like that after 25 years and a vocal cord injury. But would I say he sounds better than he did on the previous couple of live DVDs that he's done in the 2000s? Yeah, I'd say so. I mean, he sounded very solid in Score, but he also played it very safe for that entire show, never doing any improvised screams or varying the parts too much. On the recent releases, there's a lot more showmanship from him. He's being a better "front man" not just a better singer.

How many times did he do Another Day during this previous tour? Was it a regular part of the set at some point? I only remember one Youtube video I watched where he did Another Day during the encore, as an Images and Words anniversary celebration. And it sounded pretty bad. But of course, I think making him do a song like Another Day for the encore is kind of ridiculous. It's a tough song as it is, and at the end of the night when he's all worn out, it would be very tough.
But my point is, if that's the performance on the Holiday release, then I'm not surprised at all that they had to autotune it. And I actually don't mind how it sounds at all.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #145 on: December 26, 2013, 05:38:34 PM »

My point exactly. You'll notice, especially for some of the songs that were pulled out for the 2012 Europe leg in January, that the first few shows of a song is always the toughest for James. Another Day was played exactly once, and that was the first since 2007, and his voice is different since then. If they kept it in the set a while, he probably would have been AMAZING on it considering he nailed about half of the tough notes and flubbed half in just the first performance.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: December 26, 2013, 08:16:21 PM »
On a positive note...(ahem)

I really like the performance of The Great Debate. I really think MM captured the energy of MP and it's a nice nod to the man who wrote those parts.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #147 on: December 26, 2013, 08:23:09 PM »

I really like the performance of The Great Debate. I really think MM captured the energy of MP and it's a nice nod to the man who wrote those parts.

MM did an excellent job on TGD! All of the intro hats and toms were spot on. I think he had the poly-rhythm hihats during the keyboard solo a bit different, but other than that, absolutely perfect throughout.

My only disappointment with the drumming was Another Day. I don't know how many times they performed that, or how much practice MM got for it, but he didn't do the hi-hat rhythms, and he didn't do the tom pattern during the bridge section, and some of the fills weren't right. But given that was his first tour with the band playing any of these songs, I don't expect him to play everything exactly.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

« Reply #148 on: December 26, 2013, 08:28:45 PM »

He did a great job, but it still couldn't save the song. I'm so glad they dropped it from the set list right when I went to see them.

My only disappointment with the drumming was Another Day. I don't know how many times they performed that, or how much practice MM got for it, but he didn't do the hi-hat rhythms, and he didn't do the tom pattern during the bridge section, and some of the fills weren't right. But given that was his first tour with the band playing any of these songs, I don't expect him to play everything exactly.

Considering how JLB sounded BEFORE the autotune, my guess is that they didn't practice it very much at all. If I had to guess, it was a very last minute decision.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #149 on: December 26, 2013, 09:27:29 PM »
Well, it seems I'm a little behind you all, I am just getting around to downloading and converting now.  Can't wait to listen to this thing!!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #150 on: December 26, 2013, 09:27:59 PM »
Very, very cool. Thanks to DT, Wey, and everyone else involved.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #151 on: December 26, 2013, 10:11:29 PM »
Just a note for those who may not be familiar with proper etiquette, once you finish your download, as a courtesy to others who are downloading later, you should keep your downloader open for a couple of days and continue seeding until you have uploaded at least the same amount of data you have downloaded.  With this prearranged to have a certain number of seeders, it may not be an issue, but the more people who are seeding, the faster and more accessible the download will be for others.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #152 on: December 26, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Thanks to DT, Wey, and everyone else involved! :D  Great present to wake up to on Christmas morning.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #153 on: December 26, 2013, 10:26:28 PM »
Just a note for those who may not be familiar with proper etiquette, once you finish your download, as a courtesy to others who are downloading later, you should keep your downloader open for a couple of days and continue seeding until you have uploaded at least the same amount of data you have downloaded.  With this prearranged to have a certain number of seeders, it may not be an issue, but the more people who are seeding, the faster and more accessible the download will be for others.

I'm usually the asshole who doesn't seed for long... but I'll do my best to keep this going for a while :tup
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #154 on: December 26, 2013, 10:52:48 PM »

I'm new to torrents and have no idea what this means.

Okay, I actually have some idea.  It sounds like torrenting (if that's what you call it) is actually peer-to-peer, not site-to-peer?  I thought it was site-to-peer.  Download the file, close the connection.  What am I missing?  What is seeding?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #155 on: December 26, 2013, 10:59:06 PM »

Okay, I actually have some idea.  It sounds like torrenting (if that's what you call it) is actually peer-to-peer, not site-to-peer?  I thought it was site-to-peer.  Download the file, close the connection.  What am I missing?  What is seeding?

If you leave utorrent open, you're seeding. It just means it's much easier for other people to get the files because there are more of them to go around.

I think.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #156 on: December 26, 2013, 10:59:58 PM »
I'm assuming if my laptop is closed the program can't still be working right?  :P but if it's open and it falls asleep is it?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #157 on: December 26, 2013, 11:05:12 PM »
I've never owned a laptop, but closing it doesn't turn it off right? If the laptop is still on, and you haven't closed utorrent completely, it should still be seeding.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #158 on: December 26, 2013, 11:06:02 PM »

Yes, it is peer-to-peer.

Seeding is you sending the data to other people once you have finished the download. The torrent client (doesn't matter what it is) will say "seeding" somewhere on the torrent when this is happening.

Also, you should also see a "ratio" somewhere. This is the ratio between what you've downloaded and what you've uploaded. Good etiquette is getting your ratio to at least 1 (meaning you've uploaded the same amount of data as you've downloaded), as this helps to sustain the health of the torrent (healthy meaning it's easy/fast for people to download).

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: December 26, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »
I'm assuming if my laptop is closed the program can't still be working right?  :P but if it's open and it falls asleep is it?
Unless your laptop is configured to go into sleep mode when it is closed, yes it will still work. Closing it just turns the screen off.

If the laptop is asleep, programs aren't running, so you won't seed while the laptop is in sleep.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #160 on: December 26, 2013, 11:19:34 PM »
 I managed to download it properly and it plays just fine on my computer, but even though I can transfer the files to my mp3 player, they won´t show up on the playlist, so I can´t access them from the menu...is this how it´s supposed to be?  ??? :\ :\

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: December 26, 2013, 11:22:22 PM »
I managed to download it properly and it plays just fine on my computer, but even though I can transfer the files to my mp3 player, they won´t show up on the playlist, so I can´t access them from the menu...is this how it´s supposed to be?  ??? :\ :\
Your MP3 player likely doesn't suppot FLAC files. Scroll back through the thread a bit and you will find advice on how to convert the files to MP3.

Offline IronEarthTheater

« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2013, 12:38:04 AM »
OK, I realize that I am a complete idiot, but I downloaded the music via Torrent (I think).  How do I get it to play?  I tried clicking around on the FLAC files and I downloaded them - I think - but it won't play?  I am probably asking a very stupid question, but I've literally never acquired music online before.  I am old and use CD's... but I would love to hear this.  Will someone help?  Thanks!!!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #163 on: December 27, 2013, 01:02:06 AM »
OK, I realize that I am a complete idiot, but I downloaded the music via Torrent (I think).  How do I get it to play?  I tried clicking around on the FLAC files and I downloaded them - I think - but it won't play?  I am probably asking a very stupid question, but I've literally never acquired music online before.  I am old and use CD's... but I would love to hear this.  Will someone help?  Thanks!!!

Go back and read through the whole thread - there's a lot of posts explaining how to use/play/convert FLAC files, and more on how to burn them on to CD-R's if you desire to do so. Lots of helpful posts above yours have discussed this and many other topics related to downloading torrents, using FLAC, seeding/leeching, etc. etc.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

« Reply #164 on: December 27, 2013, 01:05:36 AM »
Gonna bump this for people's convenience.

This is for everyone who wants to convert their FLAC files to MP3:

The safest way, albeit a little slow, would probably be to use audio editing software like Audacity, as long as you install the MP3 plugin for it, you can open the flac files and convert them to MP3.

For something faster, I use this program. It's a part of ad-supported freeware suite of all sorts of converters:
https://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-YouTube-to-MP3-Converter.htm
You can just drag and drop all the flac files, choose your output quality and it'll convert everything in one go, whereas with Audacity, you'd have to import each sound file separately, export each one separately. Audacity is mainly for editing, so it's not the most efficient as a simple converter.

If you go with the dvdvideosoft converter, just make sure that when you install it, to unclick all the other stuff it's going to prompt you to install. It usually asks you if you'd like to install some toolbars on your browser, change your default search engine, etc. You probably don't want any of that crap. Otherwise, the program itself is solid and I haven't had any issues with it.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #165 on: December 27, 2013, 01:15:22 AM »
Thanks TGP for bumping that info! :tup

I would also HIGHLY suggest using Trader's Little Helper. The best conversion program I've ever had in over 10 years of audio trading and downloading.

It easily converts FLACs into WAVs, which can then be converted into MP3s of any bitrate you'd want (although I always set mine to CBR 320 kbps for best possible quality).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #166 on: December 27, 2013, 01:31:13 AM »
Thanks a lot!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #167 on: December 27, 2013, 01:53:58 AM »
Yeah, I'm disappointed he didn't do the classic hi-hat pattern during the second "You won't find it here..." That was the only performance of AD during the whole tour and I think both he and James could've nailed the song if it had been performed more than once (and earlier on in the set).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #168 on: December 27, 2013, 02:06:24 AM »
Yeah, I'm disappointed he didn't do the classic hi-hat pattern during the second "You won't find it here..." That was the only performance of AD during the whole tour and I think both he and James could've nailed the song if it had been performed more than once (and earlier on in the set).

I actually had no problem with JLB's performance on the song. He did great on that bridge section. My only issue was the drumming, which I figured must have been due to lack of playing it, given that he breezes through more complex songs like TGD.
I'm still really glad to have a good quality recording of it though. I hope that every future tour can be as definitively documented in terms of representing every DT song they played.  :tup
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 03:01:54 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #169 on: December 27, 2013, 02:13:35 AM »
I actually had no problem with JLB's performance on the song. He did great on that bridge section.
I don't think James' performance was bad, but you can hear he was exhausted, which is natural considering the placement of the song in the setlist. I watched a fan-filmed video of that performance and as others pointed out, his voice has been touched up a little bit.
My only issue was the drumming, which I figured must have been due to lack of playing it, given that he breezes through more complex songs like TGD.
I'm still really glad to have a good quality recording of it though. I hope that every future tour can be as definitely documented in terms of representing every DT song they played.  :tup
:iagree:

Online nikatapi

« Reply #170 on: December 27, 2013, 03:29:33 AM »
I think it was kind of a last minute desicion to play Another Day, and MM only knew the time signatures, he didn't learn the exact drum parts, otherwise i'm sure he would play them as they are.

Also, i think he changed the type of drum heads he used on the bass drums sometime during the tour, and it is audible on some songs, like Endless Sacrifice and the Drum Solo, the sound is more clear and punchy.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #171 on: December 27, 2013, 03:30:21 AM »
Is anyone else blown away by The Great Debate?  The keyboard mix (and sounds), the performance, everything.  This is an almighty aural experience.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: December 27, 2013, 04:52:22 AM »
TGD was awesome, but Endless Sacrifice might be the pick of the bunch for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #173 on: December 27, 2013, 05:07:15 AM »
Can't say I have a single complaint.  Best part for me is finally having a clean version of TCOT.  Every other track (save MM drum solo) already has a live release (official, or Ytse Jam).  I had a couple of PN2009 bootlegs, but this slays them all obviously.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #174 on: December 27, 2013, 05:10:51 AM »
I likely wont listen to this until I find an easy way to convert to MP3. I'm not really one to sit at the computer to listen, I prefer to have it on my phone to have on while I'm out and about. I tried to download all of those programs but I have no idea what I'm doing with them. Nevermind  :blush