Author Topic: HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM DREAM THEATER (6:00 On A Christmas Morning!)  (Read 65694 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM DREAM THEATER (6:00 On A Christmas Morning!)
« Reply #105 on: December 25, 2013, 10:39:22 PM »
You are a saint.  Took me a little bit to figure out how to install it, and thanks for reminding me to uncheck all those auto-install options, but now I have it converting and it seems to be working just fine.  Thanks!

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2013, 10:50:13 PM »
Happy to help!  :tup
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2013, 01:39:29 AM »
Am I seeing a potential consensus about To Live Forever being a good choice for future tours?
I wouldn't mind that at all :biggrin: Seriously, the extended intro is so awesome :o

One thing I paid attention to is that James skipped the "humming"/wordless vocals at the beginning of both AD and TLF. Maybe he finds those too early 90s :lol

E: Did anyone else notice "Trimming against the current"? :lol

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2013, 04:01:33 AM »
One thing I paid attention to is that James skipped the "humming"/wordless vocals at the beginning of both AD and TLF. Maybe he finds those too early 90s :lol

E: Did anyone else notice "Trimming against the current"? :lol
Yeah, I did. On the flip side, that "FUCKED" was more powerful than ever. He also changed up "the '90s bring new questions" in LTL so he must really want to put that decade behind him. :lol

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Nofire

« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2013, 04:08:14 AM »
Just amazing how good this is. From TGD an onwards, this is definately my favorite live release after Score. Compared to LALP, this is 10 times more enjoyable thanks to the audible keyboards, bass and fatter drums. The piano during the TCOT chorus is mindblowingly awesome. I haven't even finished listening to LALP due to the mix not being to my taste, that's how much it disappointed me. Sure, the vocals on this release sound a bit oddly mixed, but James' singing is incredible! Really amazing to hear!

Once again, thanks to everyone involved for making this happen!
Trapped inside this Octavarium

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: December 26, 2013, 04:18:15 AM »
Just amazing how good this is. From TGD an onwards, this is definately my favorite live release after Score. Compared to LALP, this is 10 times more enjoyable thanks to the audible keyboards, bass and fatter drums. The piano during the TCOT chorus is mindblowingly awesome. I haven't even finished listening to LALP due to the mix not being to my taste, that's how much it disappointed me. Sure, the vocals on this release sound a bit oddly mixed, but James' singing is incredible! Really amazing to hear!

Once again, thanks to everyone involved for making this happen!

I'm only up to Peruvian Skies and I already think that this is a better release than Luna Park.  The setlist is better and so far the performances are better, especially James.

Thanks again for everyone involved, this is one of the coolest things any band has done.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: December 26, 2013, 04:30:29 AM »
Listening to Endless Sacrifice right now, and James is fucking annihilating this, incredible stuff.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2013, 06:25:41 AM »
I finally downloaded this only to find my computer wont play FLAC files. Truth be told I have never even come across them. I was also hoping to put them to CD but apparently WMP wont even allow FLAC files to be put to CD :(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: December 26, 2013, 06:27:30 AM »
I finally downloaded this only to find my computer wont play FLAC files. Truth be told I have never even come across them. I was also hoping to put them to CD but apparently WMP wont even allow FLAC files to be put to CD :(

https://www.pristineclassical.com/More/FLAC-WMP.html

Just go here and download the codec and you can at least listen to it.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #114 on: December 26, 2013, 07:57:27 AM »
I'm surprised people are so cold on LALP.  i mean, this release is without a doubt awesome, and James is on fire, but better than Luna Park?

I personally rank LALP ahead of this but this release in many ways holds up to LALP.  I'm glad we have both. 

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #115 on: December 26, 2013, 08:08:47 AM »
I'm surprised people are so cold on LALP.  i mean, this release is without a doubt awesome, and James is on fire, but better than Luna Park?

I got the same feeling as you. I consider LALP to be a great DVD, both for sound/mixing and for the performance.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: December 26, 2013, 08:45:20 AM »
I'm astonished at the generosity of this gift. Especially considering the enthusiasm of DT fans to purchase every release. The quality of the recordings and performances is extremely high and certainly marketable.

Thanks again to the band and everyone involved!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #117 on: December 26, 2013, 09:47:18 AM »
oh, and not to nitpick...but it's "strictly prohibited"  ;) :D

Just to put an end to all the comments I've received about this... it was done on purpose.

Notice the line right above it :
"Distribution of this electronic file set is allowed as long as this information file is included and remains unaltered."
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #118 on: December 26, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »
If we were to get this before LALP, I'd have been so hyped up and ultimately disappointed. It addresses all the problems I've had with it (low keyboards, weak drums). I can only hope they did it consciously, being aware of LALP's shortcomings.

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #119 on: December 26, 2013, 12:26:03 PM »
Is it supposed to be only audio, by the way?

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #120 on: December 26, 2013, 12:26:36 PM »
Is it supposed to be only audio, by the way?
Yeah.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #121 on: December 26, 2013, 12:41:23 PM »
He also changed up "the '90s bring new questions" in LTL so he must really want to put that decade behind him. :lol
Actually, he's been singing it that way for several years, as I drew MP's attention to that line as being dated, and not long after that, the change in the lyric happened. Can't remember when it happened, but I know it's been sung that way at least since 2006.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #122 on: December 26, 2013, 01:16:01 PM »
I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the whole thing yet, but so far its incredible! Thanks to all involved with giving us this amazing Christmas gift.  :tup
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2013, 01:53:05 PM »
He also changed up "the '90s bring new questions" in LTL so he must really want to put that decade behind him. :lol
Actually, he's been singing it that way for several years, as I drew MP's attention to that line as being dated, and not long after that, the change in the lyric happened. Can't remember when it happened, but I know it's been sung that way at least since 2006.

Ha

I've always wondered who's idea it was to change that. I love it.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
I think that the people who think this is better than LALP think so because the mix is better and the setlist has songs that are more obscure in terms in their live releases so it ends up being a really awesome collection of live songs.

However, LALP is a way better concert because of everything that went into it, all the ADTOE songs, the soft songs with the strings, and the Blu-Ray is spectacular. 

Offline d-tailer

« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2013, 02:25:03 PM »
A huge thankyou to the team who have made the Chrissie treat available.

After a few listens I prefer the CD2 tracks more so my current playlist has CDs 1&2 swapped with As I Am at top of the order. Also for a great intro you can add a YouTube clip from LALP of Bridges in the Sky & 6:00 together.

« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2013, 02:26:45 PM »
I think that the people who think this is better than LALP think so because the mix is better and the setlist has songs that are more obscure in terms in their live releases so it ends up being a really awesome collection of live songs.

However, LALP is a way better concert because of everything that went into it, all the ADTOE songs, the soft songs with the strings, and the Blu-Ray is spectacular.

I think both have their ups and downs. The proper volume of keyboards is definitely awesome on the Holiday tracks, but since they are from different shows, the sound quality and peformances aren't very consistent. While JLB might be amazing on some of the songs, on others, he's not in top form. (Whereas in Luna Park, he was at his best all throughout). And a few of the songs just have too much reverb or this or that in them. Plus Luna Park does have the video footage to accompany it.

So yeah, both have their ups and downs. Luna Park, for what it is, was definitely worth the money. This Holiday collection is easy to appreciate because it was free and gave us new songs.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2013, 03:19:34 PM »
I listened to some of the tracks on the new CD while syncing them with youtube video from that night and it was pretty interesting to watch it that way. If I had no life whatsoever I might download all the different youtube videos of these performances and make a DVD out of it.

« Reply #128 on: December 26, 2013, 03:21:35 PM »
I listened to some of the tracks on the new CD while syncing them with youtube video from that night and it was pretty interesting to watch it that way. If I had no life whatsoever I might download all the different youtube videos of these performances and make a DVD out of it.

If I were to do that, can we still pretend like I have a life?

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #129 on: December 26, 2013, 03:42:25 PM »
 :omg:  :o Absolutely!! In fact, you'd have a very important life.. in DT world. Which is the only world that matters.

Edit: Also, I might add that I would recommend to anyone that you listen to the F# in LTL slowed way down like -80%. It's quite entertaining especially in this version.  :biggrin:

Spolier: C6.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: December 26, 2013, 03:45:05 PM »

I think both have their ups and downs. The proper volume of keyboards is definitely awesome on the Holiday tracks, but since they are from different shows, the sound quality and peformances aren't very consistent. While JLB might be amazing on some of the songs, on others, he's not in top form. (Whereas in Luna Park, he was at his best all throughout). And a few of the songs just have too much reverb or this or that in them. Plus Luna Park does have the video footage to accompany it.

So yeah, both have their ups and downs. Luna Park, for what it is, was definitely worth the money. This Holiday collection is easy to appreciate because it was free and gave us new songs.

I strongly disagree.

« Reply #131 on: December 26, 2013, 03:47:14 PM »

I strongly disagree.

I can't think of a single song on LALP where his performance was subpar.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: December 26, 2013, 03:48:53 PM »
He's pitchy over most of the concert.  The worst ones I can think of is Bridges, Night, Root and Pull.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #133 on: December 26, 2013, 03:54:42 PM »
In Root, they actually did an overdub in one place that made it worse. "Driven blindly by our sins mislead so easily, Entirely ready to leave it behind, begging to break free." Originally, it was not only spot on, but better than the album and then they overdubbed it and used a take where he hit it flat and had less vibrato.

Just saying. Sorry if that's too far, you can delete this if you don't like me saying this.

« Reply #134 on: December 26, 2013, 03:57:57 PM »
He's pitchy over most of the concert.  The worst ones I can think of is Bridges, Night, Root and Pull.

I don't know what pitchy means. Pull Me Under was an okay performance, I'll admit, nothing incredible about it. But Root in particular I thought was an excellent performance, albeit a little too theatrical. Bridges and Night were stellar as well, so I'm not sure what you mean.

There were much more noticeable flaws in some of the songs on this Holiday release. The chorus on UAGM, I don't know what he's doing. I mean, the high note he sings is significantly higher than it's supposed to be, which is impressive, I guess, but it's completely out of tune with the melody, and he didn't nail the F# on LTL. Which is unfortunate, because I've seen some Youtube footage where he pulled off the F# with a vengeance, and even at the concert I went to, he sung UAGM properly. So it's not like he couldn't.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: December 26, 2013, 04:01:09 PM »

I don't know what pitchy means. Pull Me Under was an okay performance, I'll admit, nothing incredible about it. But Root in particular I thought was an excellent performance, albeit a little too theatrical. Bridges and Night were stellar as well, so I'm not sure what you mean.

There were much more noticeable flaws in some of the songs on this Holiday release. The chorus on UAGM, I don't know what he's doing. I mean, the high note he sings is significantly higher than it's supposed to be, which is impressive, I guess, but it's completely out of tune with the melody, and he didn't nail the F# on LTL. Which is unfortunate, because I've seen some Youtube footage where he pulled off the F# with a vengeance, and even at the concert I went to, he sung UAGM properly. So it's not like he couldn't.

Pitchy means his notes weren't in key or on pitch a lot of the times.  A lot of his passing notes in his vox were off.  His big notes and long notes were good but the notes getting to those a lot of the time were either sharp or flat.

In regards to UAGM, he's pretty much been singing it that way most of the time live, doesn't he?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #136 on: December 26, 2013, 04:01:52 PM »
In Root, they actually did an overdub in one place that made it worse. "Driven blindly by our sins mislead so easily, Entirely ready to leave it behind, begging to break free." Originally, it was not only spot on, but better than the album and then they overdubbed it and used a take where he hit it flat and had less vibrato.

Just saying. Sorry if that's too far, you can delete this if you don't like me saying this.

Well, you can tell it was overdubbed anyway just from the mouth movements.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2013, 04:03:05 PM »
Would it be too trivial to make a thread about the one word "TIME" in UAGM?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2013, 04:04:54 PM »
"TIME" or TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWMMMMMEE"?

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #139 on: December 26, 2013, 04:09:27 PM »
Maybe a poll about which you like better?

In regards to UAGM, he's pretty much been singing it that way most of the time live, doesn't he?

I think he's been screaming "time" ever since this little incident https://youtu.be/1Yogybuxyc4?t=7m40s

Before that show he's always done it regular, but on the first couple shows of ADTOE warm up tour, it was pretty weak.