Author Topic: HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM DREAM THEATER (6:00 On A Christmas Morning!)  (Read 65924 times)

Offline badger

Re: HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM DREAM THEATER (6:00 On A Christmas Morning!)
« Reply #245 on: January 02, 2014, 06:07:05 AM »

My only gripe is that it's a soundboard so every thing feels a little flat but can hardly complain with a free double album :)

Are we allowed to share links to download the individual tracks ?

if so : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ezke6e42vmbvfw4/ySGGlc5snA

I've uploaded them all to my DropBox so people can download the converted aiff files - which will play on iPods and iTunes yet are still massive files.

Please delete if not ok :)

Thanks for the file conversion...just what I needed.
When did we all let you down?

Offline emtee

« Reply #246 on: January 02, 2014, 07:44:19 AM »
A little late to the party. Really have enjoyed both CD's. Thanks to all involved!

I did not want to buy the LALP DVD as I was only interested in CD's and if I remember correctly you can't just get CD's...so
this will have to suffice. It would have been nice though to be able to add the LALP CD to my collection.

Thanks again Rai and DT.

Offline metrojam

« Reply #247 on: January 02, 2014, 10:03:48 AM »
My only gripe is that it's a soundboard so every thing feels a little flat but can hardly complain with a free double album :)

Are we allowed to share links to download the individual tracks ?

if so : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ezke6e42vmbvfw4/ySGGlc5snA

I've uploaded them all to my DropBox so people can download the converted aiff files - which will play on iPods and iTunes yet are still massive files.

Please delete if not ok :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!......thats the best things about this release (thanks to the DT guys for doing it) Its SOOOO nice to be able to hear ALL the instruments for once after the horribly muddied mixing mess of the DT12 and LALP releases!!. I'm loving this freebie 10 times more than the LALP mudpie. Its great to know that Jordan is still in the band too!!.......

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #248 on: January 02, 2014, 11:07:24 AM »
I've been able to listen to the Holiday Album several times now and I'm enjoying it more and more each time!! Really great raw live material from the band and it really showcases how well they were playing all throughout the ADTOE tour through all legs in several different parts of the world.

Highlights have to be TCoT, ES, LTL, and PS...

Thanks again to all involved in this!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #249 on: January 02, 2014, 03:13:48 PM »
Learning to Live is great but that damn buzz makes it unlistenable, its irritating and I'm wondering what it is.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #250 on: January 02, 2014, 06:34:02 PM »
Just finished listening to the "A Dramatic Tour of Events" playlist I created with LALP main, LALP "bonus tracks," and this.  A little over 5 hours total.  I am exhausted.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: January 02, 2014, 10:29:44 PM »
Speechless at how amazing and generous this is, thanks so much to everyone involved! Wey I owe you a bottle of smoke juice of your choice for the next time we meet at a concert!
There's a whole different bunch of reasons on why this is an amazing gift, first of all I HAVE A PRO RECORDING OFFICAL RELEASE OF LIVE DT PERFORMANCES THAT I ATTENDED!! That's Another Day, Ytse Jam and Endless Sacrifice. Second Dramatic Tour is my favorite DT tour and not just for the bias of having attended 4 shows on both US legs, this along with Luna Park cds will make the Dramatic Tour experience forever memorable, I was just thinking the other day on how cool it would have been if they played Fatal Tragedy, Ytse Jam, Tuscany and Glass Moon on the second leg so that it would have ended up on Luna Park!
This release seals the deal on Dramatic Turns album, tour and era all together as an almost impossible-to-top DT experience and memory, making this next tour a huge challenge for the boys IMO.. BRING IT ON DT!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:36:05 PM by Progmetty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #252 on: January 04, 2014, 08:38:20 AM »
A great present from DT!!!  A few sound glitches here and there such as that buzz in Learning to Live, but heck, it's a free gift, so what's there to complain about?!?!?   :biggrin:

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: January 04, 2014, 12:51:12 PM »
Endless Sacrifice. This performance. Absolutely. Amazing.

Really, I almost got that feeling from Live @ Bubokan concert and this was a better performance of ES than there! James' voice is so strong here that I'm going RAAAWWWKKK!!  :xbones

And I almost forget Mangini is playing drums. I love his playing here, he didn't follow Portnoy's thing from hit to hit but he did his own thing, his own fills somewhere. This is a thing MM should do more often.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:11:06 PM by YtseJamittaja »
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #254 on: January 05, 2014, 08:03:45 AM »
Endless Sacrifice. This performance. Absolutely. Amazing.

Really, I almost got that feeling from Live @ Bubokan concert and this was a better performance of ES than there! James' voice is so strong here that I'm going RAAAWWWKKK!!  :xbones

And I almost forget Mangini is playing drums. I love his playing here, he didn't follow Portnoy's thing from hit to hit but he did his own thing, his own fills somewhere. This is a thing MM should do more often.
Agreed, I think this is the best version of Endless Sacrifice and I'd prefer James' singing even to the studio version if it weren't for those low notes that sound like belching. He slays the choruses. Same with As I Am. Man, if he had sung like this @ Budokan, it would be the best concert DVD ever released. It's still the nicest looking, but I can't listen to it for more than an hour because the singing wears me out. Luna Park was impressive with the sliding cameras, but aesthetically it looks worse than anything J.J. Abrams ever put out.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #255 on: January 05, 2014, 08:10:36 AM »
I was just thinking the other day on how cool it would have been if they played Fatal Tragedy, Ytse Jam, Tuscany and Glass Moon on the second leg so that it would have ended up on Luna Park!
I don't mind that at all, since I simply can't stand how Luna Park sounds. I already listened to the Holiday release more times. At this point, I'll only pop in the Blu-ray to revisit 6:00, the ending of TDEN and the drum solo.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline metrojam

« Reply #256 on: January 05, 2014, 09:00:15 AM »
I was just thinking the other day on how cool it would have been if they played Fatal Tragedy, Ytse Jam, Tuscany and Glass Moon on the second leg so that it would have ended up on Luna Park!
I don't mind that at all, since I simply can't stand how Luna Park sounds. I already listened to the Holiday release more times. At this point, I'll only pop in the Blu-ray to revisit 6:00, the ending of TDEN and the drum solo.

Agree with that buddy 100%. Its criminal how LALP was allowed to be released with that horrendous mix and myself, like you, have listened to and enjoyed this Holiday freebie much more than the dreadful LALP.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #257 on: January 05, 2014, 11:06:12 AM »
^Agreed.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #258 on: January 06, 2014, 02:44:10 AM »
Very nice surprise. Thanks to the band, Weymolith and all involved!

But I assume this officially signals the end of the Ytsejam releases?
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #259 on: January 06, 2014, 02:48:38 AM »

If anything, I'd consider it a good sign that they're considering starting to do some releases in future. This one may have been a test run of the whole process to see how it goes, and I think it's a good sign that they've gone to the trouble to do it, and for free.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #260 on: January 06, 2014, 05:02:12 AM »
I meant "physical CDs for sale" type releases. Not complaining about anything I get for free!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #261 on: January 06, 2014, 05:16:21 AM »
That's what I meant too. I think they'll eventually do physical releases.

(Not that I have any basis for that, but I feel this signals that they will)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #262 on: January 06, 2014, 05:52:30 AM »

Karma starts the signal. Don't you pay attention to lyrics? 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #263 on: January 06, 2014, 02:39:29 PM »
I wonder how many downloads there were.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #264 on: January 07, 2014, 05:53:11 PM »
"SALE STRICKLY PROHIBITED"

Strickly, eh?  :facepalm:
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #265 on: January 08, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
Finally listened all the way through. Count of Tuscany and LTL slay everything else. EVER.  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: January 09, 2014, 08:38:55 AM »

This was covered already. They claim it was intentional.  :mehlin

Offline emtee

« Reply #267 on: January 09, 2014, 12:25:50 PM »
After hearing these songs many times now I think a tremendous amount of credit needs to be given to MM for finding what I think
is a perfect balance in keeping true to the original song structure and adding a personal touch here and there. There are so many
sections and particular fills that I would really miss as a long time fan (and as a drummer) and he pretty much nails every one of them.
I don't think he could have found a better balance. HUGE props and respect from me.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #268 on: January 09, 2014, 01:15:35 PM »
Agreed.  Mucho props to Mike 2.0

Offline Nofire

« Reply #269 on: January 10, 2014, 04:28:36 AM »
After listening to this multiple times, it definately is their second best sounding live release IMO, only beaten by Score. If LALP had sounded like the mix on ES, that would have been absolute gold! I love the clearly pronounced keyboards throughout all the songs. There i so much stuff Jordan does that sounds absolutely fantastic, with my favorites being the repeated melody around the 8-minute mark in TGD (especially when he answers JLBs phrases), and the piano part during the chorus of TCOT which I believe is not on the studio recording (or inaudible to my ears).
Trapped inside this Octavarium

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #270 on: January 10, 2014, 06:25:12 AM »

Is it not a King Crimson reference?  Referring to the fact that 21st Century Schizoid man isn't a part of the album due to 'strickt' legal reasons? 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: January 10, 2014, 06:49:00 AM »
Anyone else need this converting from FLAC ? ask me and i'll re-upload plus text file to Dropbox :) x

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #272 on: January 10, 2014, 08:10:45 AM »

Is it not a King Crimson reference?  Referring to the fact that 21st Century Schizoid man isn't a part of the album due to 'strickt' legal reasons? 

Then it would be STRIKCLY PROHIBITED.  You have to have the KC in there.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #273 on: January 10, 2014, 01:16:51 PM »
The best things in life are free!  This is how a DT live album should sound.  JR at the same level as JP.  All these years he's been hard to hear. 

How does JR do those patterns at the start and end of Great Debate?  I've been looking to do that.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline metrojam

« Reply #274 on: January 10, 2014, 01:45:32 PM »
The best things in life are free!  This is how a DT live album should sound.  JR at the same level as JP.  All these years he's been hard to hear. 

How does JR do those patterns at the start and end of Great Debate?  I've been looking to do that.

After listening to this multiple times, it definately is their second best sounding live release IMO, only beaten by Score. If LALP had sounded like the mix on ES, that would have been absolute gold! I love the clearly pronounced keyboards throughout all the songs. There i so much stuff Jordan does that sounds absolutely fantastic, with my favorites being the repeated melody around the 8-minute mark in TGD (especially when he answers JLBs phrases), and the piano part during the chorus of TCOT which I believe is not on the studio recording (or inaudible to my ears).

Spot on there, these "unofficial" lives recordings destroy the filth of LALP. How on earth that was allowed to be released as it was, is beyond me. Jordan was only really audible during his solo's on LALP (and DT 12 unfortunately), but its no real surprise that the guitars have to rule the roost these days now that JP is solely in charge of that side of things. Hope someone "official" is reading the comments in here (and elsewhere) about just how nice it is to be able to hear JR again in the mix!

« Reply #275 on: January 11, 2014, 04:41:37 AM »
OK, this christmas gift is so awesome it finally made me sign up after years of lurking, just to express my excitement. I enjoy this more than the official live release, as it seems a lot of you do, too. It's got this authentic raw live vibe but sounds clear and well defined at the same time. Thanks to Mr Weymolith and everyone involved. And the band of  course. Really generous to give something like this away for free.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #276 on: January 17, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »
I've finally had the chance to listen to this package, and I dare say that this has one of the best versions of LTL out there--certainly the best official version (not that there is much competition, given that the only other complete version is found on the Live Scenes from New York,  and it was a decidedly mediocre rendition).  This version is truly awesome, made so largely by MM's interesting drumwork.  The only flaw is that the F sharp shout from JLB could have been a bit better.  Otherwise, this is a nearly perfect live song, only outmatched by the slightly extended versions they did on the Octavarium tour.   
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #277 on: February 07, 2014, 07:55:37 PM »
Thanks from a fan in a New Zealand

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #278 on: February 12, 2014, 08:46:52 AM »
 They should release an app called FLAPPetrucci, where JP needs to pass through a bunch of columns moving up and down, just like the Flappy Bird thing...the columns could be Marhsall stacks. Think about it, huh???

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #279 on: February 12, 2014, 09:29:17 AM »
They should release an app called FLAPPetrucci, where JP needs to pass through a bunch of columns moving up and down, just like the Flappy Bird thing...the columns could be Marhsall stacks. Think about it, huh???

Or how about Fapprucci where you have to masturbate to the speed of JP's playing...

:omg: