Author Topic: HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM DREAM THEATER (6:00 On A Christmas Morning!)  (Read 65940 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM DREAM THEATER (6:00 On A Christmas Morning!)
« Reply #210 on: December 27, 2013, 03:48:12 PM »
Just a note for those who may not be familiar with proper etiquette, once you finish your download, as a courtesy to others who are downloading later, you should keep your downloader open for a couple of days and continue seeding until you have uploaded at least the same amount of data you have downloaded.  With this prearranged to have a certain number of seeders, it may not be an issue, but the more people who are seeding, the faster and more accessible the download will be for others.

Also, the more seeders there are the faster the download will be for everyone else.  Considering that this release is almost a GB, download speed is a legitimate issue.  Do the right thing!
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #211 on: December 27, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »
Yes.  Hence:

Quote from: bosk1
...the faster and more accessible the download will be for others.

;)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #212 on: December 27, 2013, 04:09:07 PM »
Look, it's been a while.  I'm rusty.  I need to figure this forum thing out again.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #213 on: December 27, 2013, 04:15:34 PM »
:)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #214 on: December 27, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »
Great tracks, drums sound pretty awesome compared to LALP.

Personally I'd like to hear In The Presence of Enemies on some live setlist. :D

Also, I compliment JLB on Another Day. He sounds awesome there.

...LTL... JLB What is going on??  :lol Hitting higher notes than on the record... *falls from chair*
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 04:41:14 PM by Viking of the Sagas »

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #215 on: December 27, 2013, 04:42:29 PM »
Personally I'd like to hear In The Presence of Enemies on some live setlist. :D

We really do need a good quality live recording of that song. Chaos in Motion does it no justice whatsoever.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #216 on: December 28, 2013, 04:44:11 AM »
Holy crap, the mix in Endless Sacrifice is glorious. Best live drum sound I've heard from MM so far.

The keyboard at the beginning is too loud for my taste, but other than that the mix sounds perfect. Also, listening to this live track didn't give me the impression I get everytime I hear the studio version, that is something about the instrumental section dragging for too long. Could be just me, though.

It's not just you.  I didn't really think about it before, but something about the live energy of it keeps it going and it doesn't seem to drag.

Live energy... you must be spot on! There must have been some crucial changes in dynamics that made this possible.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #217 on: December 28, 2013, 07:08:34 AM »
I'm experiencing the same problem as with LALP. Many of the songs feel too slow. Endless Sacrifice being one of them actually.
Otherwise, great release.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #218 on: December 28, 2013, 07:11:45 AM »
The only part I find too slow is the ending of TCOT. Why play it slower than the album version when it isn't that fast to begin with? :huh:

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: December 28, 2013, 01:17:31 PM »
FINALLY!!!!  Got all the malware/adware off (I think) and was able to convert using the program Kowtow Boy recommended, thanks Bro!  Album is really good.  After the first run, standouts for me are TGD, TLF, ES.  My only gripe is JLB seems so lost in  the mix , low volume and very echoic? (dont know if that's an actual word...LOL), but his singing is VERY good.  The other 4 sound absolutely stellar!

**EDIT - I burned discs and the vocals sound better in my truck by far.  Don't know what the deal is with my puter sound.  All other songs sound great, just the xmas songs that have that exagerated echo.  That's cool... most of the music I listen too is on the road anyways :)  What an awesome and thoughtful gift from the band, Wey, and whoever else was involved!!  Thank you!!.  :tup
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 02:57:45 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: December 28, 2013, 01:34:55 PM »
My only gripe is that it's a soundboard so every thing feels a little flat but can hardly complain with a free double album :)

Are we allowed to share links to download the individual tracks ?

if so : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ezke6e42vmbvfw4/ySGGlc5snA

I've uploaded them all to my DropBox so people can download the converted aiff files - which will play on iPods and iTunes yet are still massive files.

Please delete if not ok :)

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #221 on: December 28, 2013, 02:21:38 PM »
My only gripe is that it's a soundboard so every thing feels a little flat but can hardly complain with a free double album :)

I've uploaded them all to my DropBox so people can download the converted aiff files - which will play on iPods and iTunes yet are still massive files.

Not an issue if you include the text file. Doesn't look like everything's there though.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #222 on: December 28, 2013, 03:06:27 PM »
I'm liking the James only Count chorus.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: December 28, 2013, 03:17:27 PM »

Not an issue if you include the text file. Doesn't look like everything's there though.

Ok i'll upload that too ! :)

EDIT : Done ! :)

Offline Juular

« Reply #224 on: December 28, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »
So cool to hear To Live Forever again. Also, Petrucci nails the Fatal Tragedy solo!  :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: December 28, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
The last two songs are uploading now !!!!
:)

Offline marlencrabapple

« Reply #226 on: December 28, 2013, 04:41:43 PM »
Endless Sacrifice and TGP are definitely 10/10. I don't think any of their other live renditions are nearly as good.

TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME and the Z# in LTL were pretty amusing too.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #227 on: December 28, 2013, 04:42:16 PM »
Apparently nobody is seeding. I just got home from the holidays. Can anyone seed?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #228 on: December 28, 2013, 04:44:30 PM »
Apparently nobody is seeding. I just got home from the holidays. Can anyone seed?

Are you sure you got everything set up correctly? I am seeding along with other 1826 people around the world.  :yarr
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #229 on: December 28, 2013, 04:49:57 PM »
What special settings do I need to use? I usually download with no problems from dimeadozen or traders den.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #230 on: December 28, 2013, 04:57:54 PM »
Took a while to connect but I'm downloading now. Thanks DT

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #231 on: December 28, 2013, 05:34:25 PM »
My server crashed and I wasn't aware of it for an hour until I came back in the office and noticed the USB light I use to show the machine is on was off.

Since it's a private torrent and not using DHT, you couldn't direct connect to the machine in order to get the peerage :)
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #232 on: December 28, 2013, 05:37:48 PM »
Thanks Wey, DT and all involved. Sounds awesome! :tup

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #233 on: December 28, 2013, 06:20:59 PM »
May have been addressed already, but I LOVE that they used the Demo versions keyboard in Fatal Tragedy (after the chorus - 4:30 is one example on holiday album)!  Not sure if they've played it that way live before, but always thought that version was killer and wondered why they cut it.  Now if we can just get them to do the vocals at the beginning of it too...  :biggrin:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #234 on: December 28, 2013, 06:34:44 PM »
May have been addressed already, but I LOVE that they used the Demo versions keyboard in Fatal Tragedy (after the chorus - 4:30 is one example on holiday album)!  Not sure if they've played it that way live before, but always thought that version was killer and wondered why they cut it.  Now if we can just get them to do the vocals at the beginning of it too...  :biggrin:

Lol I noticed that too. LOVE IT
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #235 on: December 28, 2013, 06:39:41 PM »

It's also like that on LSFNY, so I believe they've always played it that way live. The keyboards are a little more upfront on this mix though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #236 on: December 28, 2013, 08:13:48 PM »

It's also like that on LSFNY, so I believe they've always played it that way live. The keyboards are a little more upfront on this mix though.

Ah, indeed they do!  Weird I never noticed that, but then again I don't listen to the SFAM songs on LSFNW too often ^^; 

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #237 on: December 29, 2013, 01:12:15 AM »

Ah, indeed they do!  Weird I never noticed that, but then again I don't listen to the SFAM songs on LSFNW too often ^^;

I believe that was the way they originally intended to play it... Wasn't it that way on the "Making of SFAM"?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #238 on: December 29, 2013, 02:02:09 AM »

I believe that was the way they originally intended to play it... Wasn't it that way on the "Making of SFAM"?

Yep. I believe it was Kevin Shirley's suggestion to take it out, as that was one of the tracks he remixed.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #239 on: December 29, 2013, 06:42:25 AM »

Yep. I believe it was Kevin Shirley's suggestion to take it out, as that was one of the tracks he remixed.

I think the overall mixes sound better on the retail CD compared to the alt mixes, but the call to remove those two parts from FT was not the greatest decision. 

Anywho, loving the CD still!  So nice of DT to release it.   :biggrin:

Offline tofee35

« Reply #240 on: December 30, 2013, 02:00:34 PM »
This is great! Thanks all involved!

This is the first time I've listened to DT live with Mangini. It's amazing how different they sound with MM. In Fatal Tragedy for example, in comparison to LSFNY, it's much less "jammy" and more mechanical. MM is just right on point and his hits are so consistent. The rest of the band mirrors that like they're playing in studio as opposed to a live setting. They're playing is so polished.

I love this mix. It sounds very dynamic (in comparison to DT12 anyway). JMX is up in the mix which is always nice. It's nice hearing JR up there. He always shines live.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:08:32 PM by tofee35 »

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #241 on: December 30, 2013, 05:56:54 PM »
In LTL there's this buzzing noise during the beginning of the instrumental, I can notice it and it bugs. Other than, songs are great.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #242 on: December 31, 2013, 12:36:51 PM »
I finally got the opportunity to listen properly to the whole album and am blown away.  I think almost every song is the best performance I have heard.  One exception would be To Live Forever in which James's voice sounds a little tired.  This is probably the result of having one show to to record that performance.  Other than that, any time on this album where James voice is less than perfect, it actually works as an advantage.  In LTL, when he hits the legendary F#, he can't sustain the note as long as he used to but the emotion that pours out of him as he strains makes it sound fucking badass.  Likewise, in UaGM I don't mind that the high note is screamed as opposed to sung although I think he holds it out a little long.  I'm just glad I have a good live version to listen to without that stupid circus melody they added on Score. 

CoT is amazing and while I absolutely hate the lyrics, I realized that I hated the ridiculous background vocals more than I imagined.  Without that, the lyrics don't stand out as much. 

Overall, its good to hear James switching things up and really commanding the role of the frontman. 

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #243 on: December 31, 2013, 02:19:50 PM »
Jump back to the forum after the holidays and find a nice present under the tree.  Just want to echo the thanks to Wey, the Band, and everyone involved with this release.

Offline Fisi

« Reply #244 on: January 01, 2014, 07:42:47 AM »
Based on my one listening time, this rocks! Of course the sound quality isn't up to the standards of the official live releases, but the mix and the songs compensate for that. It's great to hear Jordan so much better than on Live at Luna Park. Also, if you ask me, James' current vocal style fits the Train of Thought songs really well. I wouldn't mind hearing something from that album on the upcoming tour also.