Author Topic: Power Metal  (Read 93863 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Power Metal
« Reply #945 on: October 17, 2017, 05:23:12 PM »
Too funny... I was just listening to this earlier today.  Excellent album.  One of their best (imo).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #946 on: October 17, 2017, 05:26:08 PM »
It's up there with the last couple albums.  Hard to decide the best, my initial gut says not the best, but the test of time will tell.  It's very good, that's what I know and like I mentioned, feels like they just continued where they left off 10 years ago.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: October 17, 2017, 05:27:24 PM »
Anyone else pick up Phoenix by Nocturnal Rites?  Really digging the album, it's more melodic metal than power metal at this point although there's definitely a few classic power metal sounding songs.  It feels like they continued where they left off even though it's been so long since their last album.  Welcome to the End and The Ghost Inside Me are currently my favorite tracks.   :metal :metal Can't wait to see them next year at ProgPower, that's like a dream come true since I've been a fan for awhile and never thought I'd be able to see them, especially after such a long hiatus.

Haven't gotten around to listening to it yet.  I've heared a few tracks though and some are great but I fear what Brent said about it with everything being the same and a bit formulaic.  Saying that, I think I'll still dig it and the addition of Per Nilsson is great.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #948 on: October 17, 2017, 05:30:41 PM »
Well most power metal feels formulaic to me. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: October 17, 2017, 05:33:58 PM »

True.  I will give it a listen before I pass judgement.  Their trio hit of New World Messiah, Grand Illusion and The 8th Sin are three of the best and my most fav power metal albums of all time.  I guess this new one just has a lot to live up to for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: October 17, 2017, 05:37:42 PM »

True.  I will give it a listen before I pass judgement.  Their trio hit of New World Messiah, Grand Illusion and The 8th Sin are three of the best and my most fav power metal albums of all time.  I guess this new one just has a lot to live up to for me.

Yea, those three are fantastic and I would lump this with that trio (I can't decide which of those three is my favorite, depends on the day/mood).  I think you'd really enjoy it if you like those albums, but it's definitely more of The 8th Sin sounding than New World Messiah.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #951 on: October 17, 2017, 05:50:28 PM »
I never thought I'd enjoy a PM band, but these guys (Lor) are great and have many different genres and influences as well. I recommend everyone listen to the (entire) track Eidolon they have on their bandcamp:

https://halloflor.bandcamp.com/album/in-forgotten-sleep

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #952 on: August 21, 2018, 12:40:28 PM »
Didn't find an official Van Canto thread, but I need to rant for a bit.

Just saw that Van Canto has a new album, which was a nice surprise. I hadn't followed them since their last release, which I loved. So, with the immediate joy of discovering a new album by a fave artist and no idea what to expect, I gave it a "spin" (streaming, that is). And... apparently they have a new singer. One that is truly awful to my ears. The guy almost consistently sound like his voice is going to crack. Well, it actually does fucking crack here and there, in a studio recording. It is so bad I can't go further than the first half of the album. And to my ears his singing sounds pitchy in parts as well?

Anyways, here is a new single of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2lR8FYr09A

And then they have a very cool bonus disc, which basically is some of their best (Original) songs, but with an orchestra and only the lead vocals. Cool idea and something that would make a special edition worth it. Problem is, it is with this singer.

Last time I saw them live they were great, but I don't think I will be attending a show with this singer in the lead unfortunately. Hopefully others do find enjoyment in their latest release. I just can't fathom that band that is (almost) all about the voice(s) picks a singer like this, records several songs with him, and thinks "yeah, awesome, let's release this!"

/end of rant.

(for reference, this was the quality of their last release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gjaawxsF14).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #953 on: August 22, 2018, 11:47:14 AM »
I thought their cover of Battery was hilarious, and I don't really care for the original version. The gimmick didn't have any staying power for me, and the single you posted confirms that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: August 22, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »
That's different, but really not interesting IMO.  Those two lead singers don't sound good and I'm not really into acapella.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #955 on: August 24, 2018, 07:15:10 PM »
I never thought I'd enjoy a PM band, but these guys (Lor) are great and have many different genres and influences as well. I recommend everyone listen to the (entire) track Eidolon they have on their bandcamp:

https://halloflor.bandcamp.com/album/in-forgotten-sleep

Just seeing this post! :lol

This is one of my favorite releases of the last couple of years. I've been pimping this band since this was released. I submit it in pretty much every roulette I'm in. I think this album needs to be heard. So many styles incorporated.

After three long years it's finally here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #956 on: August 27, 2018, 09:33:41 AM »
Quote from: Arion FB Page
Here's the ALBUM COVER and the TRACKLIST of "Life Is Not Beautiful”! Artwork done by super talented Claudio Bergamin. His previous work includes Judas Priest, Accept and Battle Beast for example.

01 - The End Of The Fall
02 - No One Stands In My Way
03 - At The Break Of Dawn (Feat. Elize Ryd)
04 - The Last Sacrifice
05 - Through Your Falling Tears
06 - Unforgivable
07 - Punish You
08 - Life Is Not Beautiful
09 - Last One Falls

You can pre-order “Life Is Not Beautiful” from:
https://shop.afm-records.de/arion/

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #957 on: November 06, 2018, 05:51:34 PM »
Been spending some music listening time getting to know some ProgPower bands for next year that I am not familiar with and I've been listening to two power metal bands

Orden Ogan and Galneryus

really liking both so far.  I've got Orden Ogan's Ravenhead and Galneryus' Resurrection and really enjoy both.

Destinations by Galneryus has really stuck out to me, such an awesome song.  Any recommendations from these two bands?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #958 on: November 06, 2018, 11:12:41 PM »
I am big fan of the double OO, all their albums are very good, but live they are a little lacking without the multi-tracked backing vocals.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #959 on: November 07, 2018, 12:58:29 AM »
Orden Ogan's most recent album Gunmen is excellent. Definitely recommended.

My favourite Galneryus release is Angel of Salvation. Mainly on the strength of the title track alone.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: November 07, 2018, 04:35:24 AM »
Galneryus is a band I've literally heard nothing from or know anything about.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #961 on: November 07, 2018, 06:18:25 AM »

They're basically Japanese Dragonforce. Completely over the top, relentless, cheesy power metal - and all the more awesome for it.

Angel of Salvation is my favourite of their songs. If you don't like this, then you won't like the band.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: November 07, 2018, 07:28:16 AM »

They're basically Japanese Dragonforce. Completely over the top, relentless, cheesy power metal - and all the more awesome for it.

Angel of Salvation is my favourite of their songs. If you don't like this, then you won't like the band.

Definitely got the Dragonforce feeling, but I felt they are not as bad.  But otherwise yea, they are fairly ridiculous but still have some really awesome catchy vocal melodies.  I thought some of the stuff I youtubed was a bit more over the top than the one album I have, but "dragonforce light" seems like a decent way to describe them.

Orden Ogan's most recent album Gunmen is excellent. Definitely recommended.

My favourite Galneryus release is Angel of Salvation. Mainly on the strength of the title track alone.

Thanks, I'm going to check these out

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: November 07, 2018, 03:27:44 PM »

Haha, not bad, but not really my thing anymore.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: November 07, 2018, 04:42:44 PM »

Paul's been pimping them since the horse and cart days.  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: November 07, 2018, 04:44:21 PM »

Paul's been pimping them since the horse and cart days.  :)

Haha.  I think I would have liked them about 10-15 years ago, but I think my tastes have changed too much these days.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #966 on: November 07, 2018, 04:48:24 PM »
Love Galneryus. Can’t listen to too much at once as it is very samey, but yeah, it puts a huge smile on my face because it’s so ridiculous  :metal
Over the top widdly widdly guitar and keyboards.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #967 on: January 19, 2019, 06:38:32 PM »
Never heard Herman Frank ever before until this came up randomly in my YT feed yesterday.
https://youtu.be/9uS0xhIKwAU
Yes I know it's pretty much power metal by the numbers, but I enjoyed it enough to check out the HF catalogue.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: September 11, 2019, 09:37:15 AM »
I got the new battle beast before heading out to aruba and finally listening to it on the beach, I was not impressed with the singles and didnt expect to like this, but wow really am enjoying it. I love their 80s vibe, this is making me even more excited to see them again Saturday. I feel even the singles fit well within the album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #969 on: September 24, 2019, 08:02:47 PM »
Lords Of The Trident at Mad With Power Fest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb1hxJvXD5k

I love this band!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #970 on: September 28, 2019, 06:28:32 AM »
If you don't mind some folk in your power metal, you PM lovers should definitively check out Elvenking and especially their latest album, "Reader of the Runes - Divination", the beginning of a sage in three chapters (and no, it's not as cheesy as Rhapsody  ;D )

On YouTube you'll find the "singles", the catchy and easy Under the Sign of a Black Star, the atmospheric video of Silverseal and the fast and direct Divination, but it's as a whole that the album shines, and so I suggest 50 minutes of listening to it all on Spotify.

It's also a peculiar story because the whole album is just an introduction - the real story is still all to unfold, here the songs present 8 characters who, along with the titular Reader of the Runes, will bring the story forward but each song is just a point of view from the various characters.

Best songs among those who didn't get a video are the anthemic opener Heathen Divine, The Misfortune of Virtue, the very aggressive Malefica Doctine and of course the epic title track, Reader of the Runes - Book I, which lasts 10 minutes and has a bombastic and wonderful chorus.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #971 on: October 28, 2019, 04:55:03 PM »
Hevisaurus – 100 (Official Video)

Don't ask because I don't know the answer!  :lol

Featured musicians:
Marco Hietala / Nightwish
Noora Louhimo/ Battle Beast
Timo Kotipelto / Stratovarius
Samy Elbanna / Lost Society
Pasi Rantanen / Thunderstone
Olavi Tikka / Milestones
Tony Kakko / Sonata Arctica
Mikko Kotamäki / Swallow the Sun
Netta Laurenne / Smackbound
Mikael Salo / Thy Row, Metal De Facto
Esa Holopainen / Amorphis
Teemu Mäntysaari / Wintersun, Smackbound
Jens Johansson / Stratovarius, Rainbow
Daniel Freyberg / Children of Bodom
Markus Vanhala / Omnium Gatherum, Insomnium
Kiko Loureiro / Megadeth
Matias Kupiainen / Stratovarius
Iivo Kaipainen & Arttu Vauhkonen / Arion
Kai Hansen / Gamma Ray, Unisonic
Tim Hansen / Induction
Joona Björkroth / Battle Beast, Brymir
Henrik Klingenberg / Sonata Arctica
Niko Tyrväinen / Radio Rock winner
Nino Laurenne / Thunderstone
Vili Itäpelto / Smackbound, Tracedawn
Anton Kabanen / Beast In Black
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: October 28, 2019, 05:18:02 PM »
That's fucking awesome  :lol

I'll see what I can do about turfing The Wiggles in these parts and replacing them with Hevisaurus :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #973 on: October 29, 2019, 01:10:49 AM »
That's silly and pretty impressive at once. Mighty guest list and if the singer would stop the annoying talking you would have a pretty good song too.

Where was children music like this when I grew up?  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #974 on: October 29, 2019, 02:34:44 AM »
Damn Teemus solo kills!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: October 29, 2019, 05:21:17 AM »
I can't believe I sat through the whole thing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: October 29, 2019, 07:12:03 AM »
Is this really supposed to be Children's music?  I'm not sure I understand it.  Looks like a joke type of song to me, but then again I don't know Finnish and like I said, don't understand it.  It's not very good music IMO, but that guest list is superb.  If it is meant for children, then I say rock on though.  The solo part was cool just to see everyone do something from their own private spot.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #977 on: October 29, 2019, 04:12:07 PM »
 :lol

It seems to be an actual heavy metal band for kids and this is apparently their 100th song. A youtube search tought me the band has quite a lot of (well-viewed) clips and they are quite obviously aimed at kids.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: October 29, 2019, 04:54:29 PM »
Is this really supposed to be Children's music?  I'm not sure I understand it.  Looks like a joke type of song to me, but then again I don't know Finnish and like I said, don't understand it.  It's not very good music IMO, but that guest list is superb.  If it is meant for children, then I say rock on though.  The solo part was cool just to see everyone do something from their own private spot.

Seems like a pisstake metal version of a kids band to me.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #979 on: January 20, 2020, 05:30:03 PM »
I'm hooked on Brothers of Metal atm, they're basically the Swedish version of Manowar. They just know how to write good and catchy choruses and i'm a sucker for that, I might need help.

I mean listen to these choruses:

Sleipnir
To the Skies and Beyond
Brothers Unite
Yggdrasil

Man I think my beard has grown atleast a couple inches extra since I started listen to them.