Author Topic: Power Metal  (Read 93562 times)

Offline Enigmachine

Re: Power Metal
« Reply #735 on: December 30, 2015, 03:10:16 PM »
I like Helloween and all, but there is actually a dedicated thread for them here. It's been a bit lonely there for the last two months.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: December 30, 2015, 03:11:37 PM »
I like Helloween and all, but there is actually a dedicated thread for them here. It's been a bit lonely there for the last two months.

Yeah I know, since I started the thread and all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #737 on: December 30, 2015, 03:27:50 PM »
Yeah I know, since I started the thread and all.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound snarky, I was just pointing out that this thread tends to diverge to Helloween when they already have a thread. I know they are really important to the genre, but I just think that a general Power Metal thread should be about upstarts or obscurities within the genre rather than big names like Helloween or Stratovarius (that both already have a discussion thread).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: December 30, 2015, 03:49:29 PM »
So I haven't stopped listening to Pagan's Mind for a few weeks now since I got the blu-ray/CD.  I only have Heavenly Ecstasy and I came back to that album and rediscovered why I really loved this album.  Not just the progressive and power of the music, not just the sick guitarist, not the soaring vocals, or the spacey feel of the keyboards, but the lyrics.  Songs like Never Walk Alone, Power of Mindscape, Intermission, Live Your Life Like a Dream all just seem to hit me somewhere.  All the music and awesomeness just is extra on top.  :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: December 30, 2015, 08:56:31 PM »
So I haven't stopped listening to Pagan's Mind for a few weeks now since I got the blu-ray/CD.  I only have Heavenly Ecstasy and I came back to that album and rediscovered why I really loved this album.  Not just the progressive and power of the music, not just the sick guitarist, not the soaring vocals, or the spacey feel of the keyboards, but the lyrics.  Songs like Never Walk Alone, Power of Mindscape, Intermission, Live Your Life Like a Dream all just seem to hit me somewhere.  All the music and awesomeness just is extra on top.  :metal :metal

I have it waiting at the post office.  My parcel with the Pagan's Mind included in it tried to get delievered yesterday but no one was home and it went back to the post office.  Just went there now to try and get it and it closed cause is New Years Eve!!  WTF?!  Gotta wait til Monday to pick it up now.  >:(

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: December 30, 2015, 11:14:56 PM »

I have it waiting at the post office.  My parcel with the Pagan's Mind included in it tried to get delievered yesterday but no one was home and it went back to the post office.  Just went there now to try and get it and it closed cause is New Years Eve!!  WTF?!  Gotta wait til Monday to pick it up now.  >:(

Kade, where are most of your music orders shipped from?  How long does it usually take to get to Australia?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #741 on: December 31, 2015, 05:33:10 AM »

That blows!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: December 31, 2015, 03:38:39 PM »

Kade, where are most of your music orders shipped from?  How long does it usually take to get to Australia?

Been going through Amazon lately.  They are pretty professional and I usually can get my stuff in 5-7 working days.

That blows!

Yeah, I was looking forward to some new stuff for the new years weekend.  The package also contains;

Harem Scarem
Stryper
Voodoo Circle
Khymera
Epysode (Fantasmagoria) - liked it enough to purchase it.  :tup
Solution .45

So pretty annoying indeed.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: January 01, 2016, 08:07:34 AM »
^ Nice haul there.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: January 01, 2016, 04:09:09 PM »
^ Nice haul there.

I knew you'd appreciate the Solution .45 pruchase.  :tup

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #745 on: January 02, 2016, 07:26:00 AM »
 :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: January 03, 2016, 03:45:05 AM »
Remembered early Saturday morning that the post office opens until 11:30, so I got my order.  :metal

Just put on Solution .45 but haven't listened to anything else yet and will take me quite a few days to get through everything.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #747 on: January 03, 2016, 02:20:10 PM »
Yeah there is a huge uproar that AU Post shut many shops on NYE without telling anyone.
I'm still waiting for an amazon package from 2 weeks weeks ago and from NB.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: January 03, 2016, 08:33:50 PM »
Yeah there is a huge uproar that AU Post shut many shops on NYE without telling anyone.
I'm still waiting for an amazon package from 2 weeks weeks ago and from NB.

Fair enough too, I had no idea.  But then they opened on the Saturday, which even though I could get my package, is fucking stupid.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: January 04, 2016, 02:06:47 AM »
How are you digging the Stryper Kade?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: January 04, 2016, 04:26:17 AM »

When I get around to it bro I'll post some thoughts.  Can't believe how time has flown and I've let this slip by after a couple of months.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: January 08, 2016, 10:33:56 AM »
This is probably the right place to put this...

Dear THUNDERSTONErs! This is the day you—and we!—have been waiting for:
We are extremely proud to announce that our sixth album, APOCALYPSE AGAIN, will be released 1 April 2016 through Sakara Records/Sony Music (Finland), Marquee (Japan, S Korea, Taiwan), and AFM records (ROW). The first official single, THE PATH, will be released 10 February 2016. We are heading to the filming studio tomorrow to shoot a video for the song with our dear friend and video wizard Owe Lingwall, whose credentials include luminaries such as Meshuggah, The Rasmus, Stratovarius, and Amorphis.
Says Nino: ”This is in many ways a return to form—not just in a nostalgic sense, but going back to what we started with and creating something new at the same time. We really wanted to honour all the fans and friends who have stuck with us from the beginning, and I think everyone who picked up our first album all those years ago will be massively happy with APOCALYPSE AGAIN. We sure as hell are! Expect melody overkill, sing-along choruses, fast lead runs and overall arse-kickery! We’re back!”

:frank:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: January 08, 2016, 05:05:40 PM »

I'm halfway through it and it's really awesome so far.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: January 08, 2016, 07:36:52 PM »

:metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: January 10, 2016, 03:33:03 AM »

:metal

I've listened to it twice now and I think it could be bigger than Jesus.  Fucking beautiful album, really really good.  Heavy guitars, powerful, strong vox, incredible guitar solos and overall good heavy shit.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: January 10, 2016, 04:47:34 AM »
Wow can't get a better review then that lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #756 on: January 10, 2016, 08:32:00 AM »

i love those guys. I remember when I first heard them back when Celestial Entrance came out and thinking it was the bee's knees. I had bought it on a whim and listened to it nonstop.

As far as the Stryper, are people discussing it just because it came as an ancillary thought, because I checked it out thinking it was power metal.  Boy, was I wrong.   :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: January 10, 2016, 09:19:25 PM »
Wow can't get a better review then that lol

I'm probably being a bit over the top, I just didn't really expect anything from it and as you can see didn't rush to get it, so I guess I was just nicely surprised.

As far as the Stryper, are people discussing it just because it came as an ancillary thought,

Pretty much.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: February 03, 2016, 01:29:12 PM »
Not sure if this is the right thread, but close enough:

DYNAZTY TO RELEASE TITANIC MASS IN APRIL

"...At long last, Dynazty will release their fifth album Titanic Mass on April 15th via Spinefarm Records....

...This time, they chose to maintain the overall bite and tightness of Renatus while taking a courteous nod in the direction of power metal and adding a symphonic element; yes, the arrangements are "Titanic" this time! The band has succeeded in making the songs yet another notch more addictive than before.

The edgy yet massive production of Peter Tägtgren (Sabaton, Pain, Dimmu Borgir) elevates Titanic Mass to Dynazty's ultimate statement to date.

"Titanic Mass is the culmination of all the knowledge we've learned and all the experience we've gained over the years writing songs and making albums. Our efforts combined with the mastery of producer Peter Tägtgren has resulted in an album that we feel is really strong. To us, Titanic Mass is without a doubt our ultimate effort,” comments the band....."

Fuck yeah!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: February 04, 2016, 04:21:38 AM »
Renatus was incredible.  This is a definite purchase.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #760 on: February 04, 2016, 03:03:54 PM »
Me too. They've become very reliable performers.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #761 on: February 04, 2016, 03:12:27 PM »
I think Seneca sent them in Round 1 of The TAC Roulette. Won the round IIRC. I may jump in on them with this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #762 on: February 04, 2016, 03:15:18 PM »
Sultans of Sin is my favourite by them. I remember I was decorating and a track from SoS came on. I didn't recognise it but thought the singer was incredible. Gave me a sense of DIO from the Holy Diver days.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: February 04, 2016, 04:41:36 PM »
Sultans of Sin is my favourite by them.

Same.   I really like them but so far I don't think the songwriting (or production) has quite reached the same plane as the ability of the singer.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: February 04, 2016, 05:12:15 PM »

Same.   I really like them but so far I don't think the songwriting (or production) has quite reached the same plane as the ability of the singer.

Which of their first albums should I get?  They aren't on Spotify, so it'll be deaf purchases upon your recommendaions.

Go.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: February 05, 2016, 04:00:39 AM »

Hmmm....I only have Renatus so looks like I need to check this one out too.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #766 on: February 05, 2016, 11:58:26 AM »

Which of their first albums should I get?  They aren't on Spotify, so it'll be deaf purchases upon your recommendaions.

Go.

I really wouldn't bother going any further back than Sultans of Sin tbh. That album was a big jump in quality from what I remember. I don't have the earlier albums but have heard them.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #767 on: May 05, 2016, 10:28:53 AM »
The only power metal I listen to are Edguy and Helloween. I'm looking for some recommendations. For example, my favorite Edguy albums are Hellfire Club, Rocket Ride and Age of The Joker.a couple of my favorite Helloween albums are Better Than Raw, Dark Ride, Actually pretty much all Deris era.

Based on these, what bands would you recommend? I'm also going to get into Stratovarius. Based on these albums, which of their records should I look into first?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: May 05, 2016, 06:40:11 PM »
Visions, Destiny, Infinite, Elysium.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #769 on: May 05, 2016, 09:21:40 PM »
Pretty much what wolking mentioned, but also check out Cain's Offering.
Featuring The Strato singer, ex Sonata guitarist and Strato keyboardist Jens Johansson.