Author Topic: Power Metal  (Read 93568 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Power Metal
« Reply #420 on: October 09, 2014, 06:13:23 AM »
You know .... Unisonic is growing on me.
It's a great album. And it's not just Kiske. The music is great. Lots of tasty guitar solos in there too. Only two songs I don't like are Not Gonna Take Anymore and Manhunter. Everything else is gold. Night Of The Long Knives might be my Song Of The Year.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #421 on: October 22, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »
Even though everyone seems to ignore this band every time I bring them up, Lorenguard is holding a kickstarter to fund their next album, and they have a lot of goodies as rewards.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lorenguard/lorenguards-the-days-of-astasia-trilogy

Seriously though, this band is awesome. I'm going to pledge $50 if I can. There's still 20 days to go.

I'd share this on Facebook, but it would be a complete and utter waste of time unfortunately.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #422 on: October 29, 2014, 04:14:16 PM »
Ok, this has been on my radar for, like, all year... and now there's finally some information.  From Red Circuit's FB page:

Today is the day, #HazeOfNemesis is out! We hope all of you who had pre-ordered the album will get it soon!!! Again for our US RED CIRCUIT Fans: Release Date is December 2nd!

Beside the studio album with 10 powerful and intense tracks, you will find a full concert DVD of the 2011 show at the ProgPower USA XII festival. As a bonus, we've put the video of “Oceans Apart” on the DVD, based on live footage shot during our fabulous show in Sri Lanka in February 2014. Big hug and THANK YOU to the Sri Lankan Fans and all, who made this trip happen!

One of the highlights on "Haze Of Nemesis" is the duet of Chitral Chity Somapala with Amanda Somerville on “Worlds Will Collide”.

So here is the tracklist of "Haze Of Nemesis":

Oceans Apart
My Lonely Heaven
Believing A Lie
Digging In The Dirt
Worlds Will Collide (duet with Amanda Somerville)
Spear Of Fate
Serpents Smile
Silent Roaring
Haze Of Nemesis
My Serenade
Soldier Of Fortune (Bonustrack)

In the meanwhile, check out the "Haze Of Nemesis" album trailer:
https://youtu.be/vfbAokHg2ng

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: October 29, 2014, 07:02:58 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3w0Agy_aT0

First song off the new Red Circuit.   The crowd look like they'd prefer some reggae.

And the Somerville song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-D6_l-Gl68

I've ordered this one.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #424 on: October 30, 2014, 05:16:28 AM »
Never heard of Red Circuit before. That's pretty good stuff.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: October 30, 2014, 05:25:51 AM »
Have a go with Homeland - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ikW8DTZoAg

This is the s/t track from their second album, which is it's better than their debut (Trance State).  The debut is just ok.  I have high hopes for this new one, along with their ProgPower USA DVD.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #426 on: October 30, 2014, 07:31:19 AM »
Nice. That's pretty solid!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: November 21, 2014, 08:12:28 AM »
Can't remember where Serious Black was posted about before, but either way, I'm pretty sure this belongs here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnO-uRsdIgg

If this is any indication of the album, it's going to be a release day pickup.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: November 21, 2014, 08:16:04 AM »
Urban Breed  :metal 

Speaking of Mr Breed , I just heard a little of the new album from his old band Bloodbound.   After a quick listen it sounds like a disc that will please fans of Sabaton style epic power metal.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #429 on: November 21, 2014, 08:26:14 AM »
Uh hello, it's Urban breed. Get it right.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: November 21, 2014, 08:27:50 AM »
Uh hello, it's Urban breed. Get it right.

Right you are - mentioned that in my Top 50 and then the capital letter habit got the better of me   :-[

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: November 21, 2014, 08:31:08 AM »
Speaking of Mr Breed , I just heard a little of the new album from his old band Bloodbound.   After a quick listen it sounds like a disc that will please fans of Sabaton style epic power metal.

Yep, I wrote a review about this one for Lady Obscure magazine; I actualy was really pleased with their new output. Compelling stuff for sure, epic and diverse enough to stay interesting for the whole album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #432 on: December 06, 2014, 09:01:48 AM »
So you guys have probably already heard this, but it was new to me.

Iron Savior: Burning Heart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHjE0r3ccyc

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: December 07, 2014, 02:51:04 AM »

That came earlier this year, it was pretty decent, but not one of the bands best IMO.  It's just another solid output from IS.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #434 on: December 07, 2014, 06:48:09 AM »

That came earlier this year, it was pretty decent, but not one of the bands best IMO.  It's just another solid output from IS.
Iron Savior is the defininition of solid, but they are also the definition of unspectacular.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: December 07, 2014, 08:46:24 AM »
Iron Savior always came across to me as a plain jane power metal band.  Decent stuff, but nothing I went out of my way to check out.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: December 08, 2014, 04:14:17 AM »
Unification is pretty amazing.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #437 on: December 11, 2014, 09:02:09 AM »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #438 on: February 23, 2015, 01:09:26 AM »
Stumbled upon Orden Ogan today while browsing, was just about to post that song.  :tup

So I post this Fallout tribute video instead:

ORDEN OGAN - The Things We Believe In
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #439 on: February 23, 2015, 01:18:20 AM »
The new OO album is pretty solid, but I prefer the predecessor, To The End.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #440 on: February 23, 2015, 01:56:45 AM »
Well definitly check them out some more.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #441 on: February 23, 2015, 02:14:22 AM »
This one is also a goodie, pretty funny too  :yarr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8O1LpzC1Po

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: February 23, 2015, 02:17:17 AM »
The new OO album is pretty solid, but I prefer the predecessor, To The End.

Yeah- very solid album.  No really weak tracks but also only one or two killer tracks IMO.  I only have Easton Hope of the earlier albums.......I'd say that has more highs but also more lows.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #443 on: April 04, 2015, 11:17:23 PM »
The first new song from the upcoming Thunderstone album has dropped. It's not bad but it's pretty average as far as Thunderstone songs go. Still anticipating the shit out of this album though.

I know there's at least four Thunderstone fans here so this won't be completely falling on deaf ears. :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAqBwmzWGYw

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #444 on: April 05, 2015, 12:59:57 AM »
I must be number 5 then.
Really good to hear them back, song is decent.
I always thought that they were underrated, but never managed to captured the fire and energy of their live show in the studio.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #445 on: April 05, 2015, 02:42:34 AM »
Saw the opening for Stratovarius a couple of years ago but I haven't openly followed them. They were pretty good then though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: April 16, 2015, 07:33:25 AM »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #447 on: April 16, 2015, 07:51:20 AM »
Heard that yesterday. Sounds pretty good.

Enjoying this album:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: April 16, 2015, 03:32:17 PM »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #449 on: June 01, 2015, 05:54:49 AM »
Recently I have been listening to the debut of the band Noble Beast (2014), I like it very much.

While obvious power metal cheese, I like that the vocals are varied and often in the lower range and there are most certainly some Blind Guardian and even Persuader-esque rawness going on at times. Awesome riffage and solo's as well.

Anyways, some links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaCUP6F2CqM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F25gZqT-hKc

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 06:01:16 AM by ErHaO »

Offline NotePad

« Reply #450 on: June 02, 2015, 01:12:17 PM »
I've yet to hear Serious Black, but is it true Roland Grapow left the band so he could focus on Masterplan?

Speaking of Master plan, is anyone not a fan of their new singer? I'm a huge fan of Masterplan, but that guy ruined their last album. I don't understand why Roland thinks he has to replace Jorn Lande with a half-assed imitation. The new guy is clearly trying to be Jorn but sounds nowhere near as good and doesn't have the range. It is very unfortunate.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #451 on: June 02, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »
Welcome back Notepad, we missed your input.
Good to have you back mate   :biggrin:

As for Masterplan, I have zero interest in them without Jorn.
Grapow I don't know what he is up too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #452 on: June 02, 2015, 03:35:06 PM »
I've yet to hear Serious Black, but is it true Roland Grapow left the band so he could focus on Masterplan?

Speaking of Master plan, is anyone not a fan of their new singer? I'm a huge fan of Masterplan, but that guy ruined their last album. I don't understand why Roland thinks he has to replace Jorn Lande with a half-assed imitation. The new guy is clearly trying to be Jorn but sounds nowhere near as good and doesn't have the range. It is very unfortunate.

What?? I don't feel that Rick Altzi was "clearly trying to be Jorn". Not at all. I thought it was an excellent album.

The Serious Black album is also excellent. I was a little hesitant with it at first, but after a few listens, it really clicked. So far, it is probably in my Top 3 of so far.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #453 on: June 02, 2015, 03:56:42 PM »
I've slowly getting back into some power metal and I really dug this album from last year from Teramaze.  Here's one song from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmEueRs4KKw
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: June 02, 2015, 04:18:42 PM »

If you were familiar with Rick, you'd know that he clearly isn't trying to be Jorn.  The last Masterplan album was amazing and miles better than the last one with Jorn, which was crap.  Looking forward to the next one.

And yes, Roland is not in Serious Black anymore.