Author Topic: Power Metal  (Read 93043 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Power Metal
« Reply #315 on: July 20, 2014, 01:43:20 AM »
This sounds pretty good. its got some pedigree with Urban Breed on vocals, Roland Grapow and Tommen Stauch from Blind Guardian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SBxu6SAXHQ

:tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: July 21, 2014, 05:10:53 PM »
This sounds pretty good. its got some pedigree with Urban Breed on vocals, Roland Grapow and Tommen Stauch from Blind Guardian.

Yeah, nothing new here, but sounding really solid.  Will definitely pick this up.  Terrible name though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #317 on: July 26, 2014, 07:59:11 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #318 on: July 26, 2014, 10:12:39 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #319 on: July 26, 2014, 10:22:38 AM »

Yeah, nothing new here, but sounding really solid.  Will definitely pick this up.  Terrible name though.

Agreed... if it's got Roland from Masterplan, I'm certain to enjoy it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: July 26, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »
Hammerfall - Bushido (New song)

Like Tim said, standard Hammerfall.

For the most part, Hammerfall does nothing for me.  Its all decent stuff, but nothing I want to go out of my way to listen to.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #321 on: July 26, 2014, 01:37:11 PM »
 Hammerfall have never done anything for me at all.
Never owned one of their albums (or mp3) and never will  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #322 on: July 26, 2014, 02:09:51 PM »
It's fine that you don't like them but I don't see the reason to celebrate the fact that you don't like them.  :lol

Legacy of Kings is a really solid album and the one album that got me into Power Metal back in the day.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #323 on: July 26, 2014, 04:01:24 PM »
Seriously?
I never said they sucked, or were the worst band in history.
My comment was hardly celebrating, as a power metal fan and regular contributor to this thread
I think I'm entitled to state my opinion on any band?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #324 on: July 26, 2014, 05:28:25 PM »
Seriously?
I never said they sucked, or were the worst band in history.
My comment was hardly celebrating, as a power metal fan and regular contributor to this thread
I think I'm entitled to state my opinion on any band?
Come on, of course you are....I never said you weren't entitled to state your opinion and I clearly didn't say you thought they were the worst band in history because that trophy I think we can all agree would not go to HF, certainly not if we're talking about bands outside the PM genre....

Correct me if i'm wrong but I kind of sense a bit of a negative tone towards HF in your post, that's why I assumed you didn't like HF very much which is totally fine. I took the  :metal as a form of celebration about you not liking HF very much therefor resulting in you not buying their albums...ever...like in "no chance in hell".....which is again totally fine. I'm not serious about it I just found it funny you put horns after the last sentence.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:34:50 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #325 on: July 26, 2014, 05:34:36 PM »
I went to a Hammerfall show once.   I went to see Into Eternity...I wasn't familiar with Hammerfall at the time.

I met the guys before the show, and they seemed really cool, and I was looking forward to the show.     And then they came out to play....wearing chain mail.   

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

I might have enjoyed it more if I could have stopped laughing!   But at the end of the day, I did have a lot of fun at that show.   I honestly just felt like I was at a Spinal Tap show.   I just couldn't figure out if it was *supposed* to be parody?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #326 on: July 26, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »
I'll actually correct myself.
Looking at my CD collection, I have found a double CDR of One Crimson Night and a cardboard sleeve promo of Renegade.
I think I have a promo of the singer CANS solo project too.

I did actually click on the link for the new song and heard the first minute.
I then on YT found a pro shot live festival gig from 2013, I watched 3 songs.
The riffs are solid, the songs decent enough, I think it's just the singer that kills them for me.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #327 on: July 26, 2014, 09:06:45 PM »
wut. Joacim is the best part of the band for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: July 27, 2014, 04:45:26 AM »
I think I have a promo of the singer CANS solo project too.

This album is fucking awesome.  You should check the first two Hammerfall albums at least.  They were my introduction to power metal and made me a fan.

This new song is actually really good and even though as Tim and Jason said, it's your standard Hammerfall it seems really strong and fresh.  Looking forward to the album.  I was digging that they were doing something different with Infected though, that was a terrific album and a good positive step for the band compared to the couple of albums before that.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #329 on: July 27, 2014, 04:48:31 AM »
So yea here's a flashback. Back in 1998 me and two friends went to see HF in our hometown. One of my friends knew the club manager which resulted in us getting to meet the band. I'm the totally rad metal dude to the right, I look like twelve but i'm around 15 I think.  :lol They were really fun guys and a bit drunk. Really good times!

Edit: I uploaded some more just for fun.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:29:11 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: July 27, 2014, 04:54:39 AM »
I sort of miss Stefan, he was an important part to the band, but I gotta say Pontus' solo in that new song is fucking ace.

That's a badass pic.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #331 on: July 27, 2014, 05:31:35 AM »
I sort of miss Stefan, he was an important part to the band, but I gotta say Pontus' solo in that new song is fucking ace.

That's a badass pic.

Yea I agree I also kind of miss Patrik Räfling even though Anders is a beast of a drummer I really liked Patriks way of playing.

Thx man!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: July 27, 2014, 05:37:19 AM »
Those pics look like so much fun.

You know, I forgot about Patrick for some reason, he was awesome, great drummer.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #333 on: July 27, 2014, 05:59:48 AM »
Those pics look like so much fun.

You know, I forgot about Patrick for some reason, he was awesome, great drummer.
Yea it was fun, it's always pretty cool when you meet bands before they become big and well known. HF back then were not so big other than in Germany I think. So they were really relaxed backstage and down to earth and everything.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #334 on: August 02, 2014, 12:16:44 AM »
Does this mean Masterplan is done?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #335 on: August 02, 2014, 07:03:42 AM »

Yeah he was!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: August 03, 2014, 03:56:50 AM »

Huh?

Offline NotePad

« Reply #337 on: August 03, 2014, 01:41:51 PM »

Huh?

Roland Grapow's main band for the last ten or so years has been Masterplan. They finally found a new vocalist and recorded their most recent album with him. So I'm surprised Roland would join a new band. Unless it's not like a Band band, you know?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: August 03, 2014, 04:42:31 PM »
Most metal musicians these days have more than one active band or project.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #339 on: August 11, 2014, 02:55:35 AM »
Is this new band Roland's in any good? Can someone compare it to any Masterplan or Helloween songs or albums?

Weikath NEVER should have kicked him out.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #340 on: August 11, 2014, 03:47:15 AM »
Yeah and Kiske and Kai should have stayed to...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: August 11, 2014, 05:47:35 AM »
Is this new band Roland's in any good? Can someone compare it to any Masterplan or Helloween songs or albums?

Weikath NEVER should have kicked him out.

Um, I think what you have heard from the sample is as much as anyone else.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: August 14, 2014, 01:37:18 PM »
The new Edguy finally arrived in my mail, gave it a few spins. I like the quality of digibook, but the album isn't that memorable at all. It starts out nice with Sabre and Torch, Space Police and Defenders, and I also liked Shadow Eaters, but otherwise it's quite forgettable and bland to my taste. It's a step up from AOTJ for sure, for I disliked that record a lot, but I would take the last Avantasia over this one anytime. Hell, TMOT might just crack my Top 50 and be my favourite Avantasia album, but Space Police... I dunno, just doesn't connect with me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #343 on: August 14, 2014, 01:45:47 PM »
The new Edguy finally arrived in my mail, gave it a few spins. I like the quality of digibook, but the album isn't that memorable at all. It starts out nice with Sabre and Torch, Space Police and Defenders, and I also liked Shadow Eaters, but otherwise it's quite forgettable and bland to my taste. It's a step up from AOTJ for sure, for I disliked that record a lot, but I would take the last Avantasia over this one anytime. Hell, TMOT might just crack my Top 50 and be my favourite Avantasia album, but Space Police... I dunno, just doesn't connect with me.

Wow. Its my album of the year.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #344 on: August 14, 2014, 02:42:31 PM »

Wow. Its my album of the year.

It is?? WOW. I actually forgot all about it. I'll consider it for my birthday haul next month.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: August 14, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
I would probably make my top 10.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #346 on: August 14, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »
It's been kind of a slow first half of the year for me, but over the next month there are quite a few CD's I plan on getting..
Unisonic, Accept, Hammerfall, Halcyon Way, Axel Rudi Pell (I know it came out earlier, but I didn't get it, so I'll get the deluxe version coming out soon with the live CD).

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: August 14, 2014, 03:54:57 PM »
I have ARP. It's a standard ARP, nothing special at all. Out of those, I'm going to get Unisonic too as soon as possible, loved the first one.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: August 14, 2014, 04:01:31 PM »
That ARP did nothing for me.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #349 on: August 14, 2014, 08:56:01 PM »
I would probably make my top 10.

This wrt Edguy

I have ARP. It's a standard ARP, nothing special at all.

And this.  I enjoyed the listen, but haven't gone back to it at all.  If you've heard one ARP album, you've pretty much heard them all... just some different vocalists depending on the era.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion