Author Topic: Power Metal  (Read 93041 times)

Offline NotePad

Power Metal
« on: December 25, 2013, 01:04:32 AM »
All right so Power Metal!

To be honest the only Power metal I'm really familiar with and love is Helloween. Not really the classic stuff, but everything with Deris. That's what Helloween is to me. And to be honest, what they're doing now isn't too different from the Keeper's albums. Like Burning Sun, or Straight out of Hell. Replace Deris with Kiske, and you got a 'Keepers-era' song.

Anyways. What are some of the best power metal bands. I'm not a fan of all these fantasy based power metal bands like Hammerfall and Dragonforce. They all really do, as they say, sound like Kiske/Keepers Hellloween copycats with they're superhigh pitched vocals and such, but way more fantasy influenced. I actually enjoy a lot of Blind Guardians stuff, they stand out from the others, but like i said, what prevents me from REALLY getting into their music is the fantasy stuff. I love their sound, but not the lyrics and themes they explore.

Masterplan is another power metal band i enjoy. Unique vocals, catchy and fast. Not cheesy fantasy stuff. Same with Edguy.

Can anyone recommend any other power metal bands i should look into?

And who do you think are the best power metal bands out there? Do you think Helloween created power metal, as many claim?

And something i'v always wondered, since so many bands cite Keeper of the 7 Keys and influences. Do any current bands site newer Helloween with Deris as an influence? I hear it in some Edguy.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Power Metal
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 01:17:48 AM »
I used to listen to alot of power metal. Here's some on the top of my head:

Hammerfall
Gamma Ray
Dragonland
Nocturnal Rites
Kamelot
Angra
Freedom Call
Edguy
Iced Earth
Lost Horizon (If you don't know these guys, check their debut out.)
Sonata Arctica
Helloween
Manowar

That's pretty much what I can remember right know.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 01:19:53 AM »
I never listened to too much Power Metal, but I definitely enjoy it. Van Canto is one of my favorite bands, and even though they're an A Capella band and do a lot of covers from various Metal bands, I'd definitely classify them as power metal, especially their original compositions.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 01:31:16 AM »
Gamma Ray - Land of the Free, Powerplant, Somewhere Out in Space
Blind Guardian - Imaginations From the Other Side, Nightfall in Middle Earth
Sonata Arctica - Silence, Ecliptica, Reckoning Night, Unia
Stratovarius - Episode, Infinite, Visions, Elements Pt 1
Kamelot - The Fouth Legacy, Karma, The Black Halo
Firewind - Allegiance, Premonition, Days of Defiance
Angra - Angels Cry, Temple of Shadows
Nocturnal Rites - The 8th Sin, New World Messiah, Grand Illusion
Yngwie Malmsteen - Marching Out, Odyssey, Trilogy
Axel Rudi Pell - Mystica, Oceans of Time, The Masquerade Ball
Eden's Curse - Symphony of Sin, Second Coming, Trinity
Fifth Angel - Fifth Angel. Time Will Tell
Primal Fear - Seven Seals, 16.6, Black Sun, Nuclear Fire
Silent Force - Worlds Apart, Walk the Earth
Vision Divine - Stream of Consciousness, Destination Set to Nowhere

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 01:32:29 AM »
Iced Earth

I have never understood why Iced Earth gets often classed as power metal.

Also, I much prefer Lost Horizons second album, A Flame to the Ground Beneath, unbelievable metal.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 02:52:02 AM by wolfking »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 02:41:25 AM »
LORENGUARD

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 03:06:17 AM »
Thunderstone. The Burning and Tools Of Destruction in particular, but Evolution 4.0 is also good if you are after a little less power and more metal.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 06:38:50 AM »
Iced Earth

Also, I much prefer Lost Horizons second album, A Flame to the Ground Beneath, unbelievable metal.

I think everyone has their own definitions of this stuff - tbh I've never heard Malmsteen,, Eden's Curse etc..   described as power metal ..........esp stuff like Malmsteen's Odyssey but then I could see stuff on Marching Out fitting the bill .   Doesn't bother me what anyone calls anything mind you as I find a lot of the labels very limiting and don't really use them myself..   Savatage were always called Power Metal but to me they have nothing in common with bands like Helloween and Gamma Ray which most people would call classic power metal.

In my iTunes I just use metal or rock and sometimes even that's too hard and I either don't bother or classify individual tracks.  I have plenty of albums containing what I would consider AOR, rock and metal all on the one album .
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 06:11:39 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 07:28:50 AM »
Well, first three Malmsteen album I think qualify as Power Metal. On the other hand, things like Sonata Arctica's Unia and Kamelot's The Black Halo are slightly more into prog. Epica and Silverthorn are more power-metall-ish in my opinion. And I would never recommend Unia to someone who wants to listen to some power metal. Everything until Unia fits though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 07:34:54 AM »
Listen to Sabaton.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 02:41:33 PM »
Well, first three Malmsteen album I think qualify as Power Metal. On the other hand, things like Sonata Arctica's Unia and Kamelot's The Black Halo are slightly more into prog. Epica and Silverthorn are more power-metall-ish in my opinion. And I would never recommend Unia to someone who wants to listen to some power metal. Everything until Unia fits though.

Yeah, I know Unia is a bad choice for power metal, I only listed it because it's by far my fav cd from them.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »
Listen to Sabaton.

I second that, a criminally underrated band, who are miles ahead of the rest.
In terms of hard working bands, touring, albums and most of all the content of their lyrics.

Also highly recommended from 2013 is Gloryhammer - Tales From The KIngdom of Fife

Along with:
Sonata Arctica - first 4 albums
Blind Guardian
Falconer - anything with Mathias Blad on vox
Evergrey - first 4 albums

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
Iced Earth

For some reason I have always put them in that category. Don't ask me why.

I just think that Awakening The World is an awesome album. Both albums are great but the debut is probably one of the best debut album i've heard by a band. Heart Of Storm is such a powerful opening track and the energy that Christian puts behind the drums is still as evident today as when I heard it for the first time. They turn everything up a notch on AFTTGB which of course is only for the better. So whatever album you choose will most likely not disappoint.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 04:06:08 PM »
I will also support the Lost Horizon recommendation, they're amazing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 05:24:09 PM »
Some definite power metal.... Rhapsody (of, and not of, Fire) and Freedom Call are two of my favorites.

Kade... some of those acts you mentioned I would never have thought of as 'power metal'.  Sometimes, I'm not sure where the line between power metal, and melodic metal starts/stops.  Can't believe you didn't mention Dream Evil!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline NotePad

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 10:49:12 PM »
Evergrey i am familiar with. I used to listen to a few songs off of Recreation Day a lot on my old computer. That's all i know. If i get the chance to buy a record buy them, i will.

As i said, i'm  not too interested in fantasy-based power metal like Rhapsody and such. I guess one reason i love Helloween is because they play power metal, but it's just....idk, different. Not fantasy like Dragonforce. There's more then power metal to Helloween. Don't say Gamma Ray cuz i really dont like Kai Hansens vocals. and like i said, Deris Helloween is what i'm really a fan of. Edguy i plan on getting more into. They also seem to have a sense of humor to them like the Helloween guys do ;)

Oh yea i love the first 2 Masterplan albums. Havn't heard anything without jorn lande though. Plus metal albums like this arnt just in any store ;(

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 10:56:23 PM »
Some of these may have been said already, but:

Almah
Anubis Gate
DivineFire
Pagan's Mind
Sonata Arctica
Theocracy

Online gazinwales

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 03:16:39 AM »
Iced Earth

For some reason I have always put them in that category. Don't ask me why.

I just think that Awakening The World is an awesome album. Both albums are great but the debut is probably one of the best debut album i've heard by a band. Heart Of Storm is such a powerful opening track and the energy that Christian puts behind the drums is still as evident today as when I heard it for the first time. They turn everything up a notch on AFTTGB which of course is only for the better. So whatever album you choose will most likely not disappoint.

I was lucky enough to see Lost Horizon play live a few years ago at the Tuska Festival in Helsinki.
They were superb and Daniel did not miss a note nailing everything, including a killer cover of Crimson Glory's Red Sharks.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 12:44:26 PM »
Powerwolf and Falconer are my two favorite power metal bands. Awesome awesome awesome stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 12:47:26 PM »
Love Powerwolf. (see my custom user title :lol)

Offline NotePad

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 12:47:22 AM »
Cool, lots of recommendations. But i'm starting to feel that maybe it's not exactly 'power' metal i'm seeking. Maybe that's part of it, but it's not totally the power metal part of Helloween I love. Hell, my favorite CD by them is Dark Ride, by far. But i'll check some out, maybe Stratavrius? idk. But Helloween has a unique sound, a lot of other power metal bands i'v heard sound generic, except a few like Edguy.

Offline adace

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 02:01:33 AM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 03:02:21 AM »
Some definite power metal.... Rhapsody (of, and not of, Fire) and Freedom Call are two of my favorites.

Kade... some of those acts you mentioned I would never have thought of as 'power metal'.  Sometimes, I'm not sure where the line between power metal, and melodic metal starts/stops.  Can't believe you didn't mention Dream Evil!

Yeah, a few of my recommendations are touch and go, but only expanded a little since notepad said he wasn't too much into the Hammerfall style of Power Metal.

Also, can't believe I missed Dream Evil either, definitely another one I endorse.

Offline Fisi

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 07:40:58 AM »
I'm not really a big power metal geek, but I do love Stratovarius, so I can definitely recommend them. Wolfking already mentioned the classics which are certainly worth checking out. However, I'd also like to recommend two of their newest albums, Nemesis and Elysium. Nemesis has a bit more of an contemporary edge with a heavier sound overall and some electronic elements, whereas Elysium is more proggy, the title song being a great 18 minute epic.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:57:38 AM by Fisi »

Offline NotePad

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 12:38:53 PM »
Was just listening to Stratovarius, i think the album was Visions. The one where the first song sounds like Kind Hearted Light by Masterplan...;p They really sound like a Kiske/Helloween copy. And I'm not too interested in that. I do remember checking out some songs from their self-titled album, cuz people were talking about them alot when it came out, cuz it was more 'commercial. I remember like the song i think was called Maniac Dance. Otherwise i dont know if they're for me.

I just mentioned Masterplan. I like them alot. They' power metal, but do a little more then just typical power metal. I guess one could say they're a little more progressive then others, but still power metal to my ears. only listen to the Jorn Lande stuff. I think he left because he didn't like the catchy Helloween type big chorus' and stuff they were doing. Well, was probably more then that. But year, their first 2 are great. Time To Be King  i'v only heard a few times but just wasn't the greatest. But good.

So yea, maybe typical power metal isn't for me. Someone mentioned Freedom Call. I heard a song by them and thought they sounded like Gamma Ray cuz the vocals sounded like Kai Hansen. Gamme Ray also never did it for me. Not a fan of Hansen's vocals.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 12:44:46 PM »
A Flame to the Ground Beneath, unbelievable metal.
Hell Fuc#ing YES! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2013, 02:27:28 PM »
Galneryus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsi9HEmZl9Y

i love Galneryus. The over the top widdly widdly puts a smile on my face, even after my football team have lost  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 03:22:25 AM »
A Flame to the Ground Beneath, unbelievable metal.
Hell Fuc#ing YES! :metal

Amen brother.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 01:24:08 PM »
Let's see, power metal bands....

Allen/Lande - The Battle, The Revenge or The Showdown
Anubis Gate - Anubis Gate
Avantasia - The Scarecrow
Edenbridge - The Bonding
Eden's Curse - Symphony of Sin
Edguy - Hellfire Club
Fool's Game - Reality Divine
Magnus Karlsson - Freefall
Metal Church - The Human Factor (kinda more thrashy)
Mob Rules - Cannibal Nation
Mystic Prophesy - Ravenlord
Pretty Maids - Motherland
Primal Fear - Unbreakable
Revamp - Wild Card
Ride The Sky - New Protection
Royal Hunt - Paradox
Saints -n- Sinners - s/t
Section A - Parallel Lives or The The Seventh Sign
Serenity - Worlds Untold and Dreams Unlived
Stratovarious - Elysium
Theocracy - Mirror of Souls
Tomorrow's Eve - Tales From Serpentia
Vandroya - One
Visions of Atlantis - Ethera

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »
Severe lack of Lorenguard's Eve of Corruption in that list.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 03:58:55 PM »
Let's see, power metal bands....

Allen/Lande - The Battle, The Revenge or The Showdown
Anubis Gate - Anubis Gate
Avantasia - The Scarecrow
Edenbridge - The Bonding
Eden's Curse - Symphony of Sin
Edguy - Hellfire Club
Fool's Game - Reality Divine
Magnus Karlsson - Freefall
Metal Church - The Human Factor (kinda more thrashy)
Mob Rules - Cannibal Nation
Mystic Prophesy - Ravenlord
Pretty Maids - Motherland
Primal Fear - Unbreakable
Revamp - Wild Card
Ride The Sky - New Protection
Royal Hunt - Paradox
Saints -n- Sinners - s/t
Section A - Parallel Lives or The The Seventh Sign
Serenity - Worlds Untold and Dreams Unlived
Stratovarious - Elysium
Theocracy - Mirror of Souls
Tomorrow's Eve - Tales From Serpentia
Vandroya - One
Visions of Atlantis - Ethera

This is a great list.  I didn't realise our tastes were so similar Barry, nice.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 04:08:04 PM »
Huh, I never would have thought of Allen-Lande as power metal. Or any Avantasia post The Metal Opera.

Opinions and all that stuff I guess. :P

Online gazinwales

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 08:54:51 PM »
Yeah I always thought of them as melodic hard rock come AOR.
Royal Hunt always been symphonic hard rock to my ears.
Each to their own  :metal

Also essential listening:
Blind Guardian - Nighfall In Middle Earth (one of the best sounding albums I have ever heard)
Angra - Holy Land
Conception - In Your Multitude
Falconer - Northwinds
Kamelot - The Fourth Legacy

Offline NotePad

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2013, 02:29:13 AM »
There's a few bands i listen to that arn't too easy to classify. at least not into metal subgenres. Like Nevermore. One could say they made power metal and not be wrong. There are a few elements like it.

So yea. Oh i see Conception was listed. I have heard OF them because I am a GIANT fan of Burn The Sun by ARK. Fucking love it. And Tore Ostby was in Conception? OR was it the drummer? idk. I dont know if the chances of finding a Conception album are too good tho...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2013, 07:39:52 AM »
I always recommend Nocturnal Rites to people who want a power metal band to check out, specifically the last three albums.  :metal