Author Topic: 2014-04-05 - Chicago Theatre - Chicago, IL  (Read 11886 times)

Offline icarus4321

Re: 2014-04-05 - Chicago Theatre - Chicago, IL
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2014, 09:06:53 AM »
Does anyone know if there's a good place to inexpensively park down there?
Please check out our band, Agora Forte, www.reverbnation.com/agoraforte

My last.fm Profile

Offline HoboDelta

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2014, 10:43:30 AM »
I found a parking garage right around the corner from the theater.  Evening parking from 4pm-4am is $21.  Hope that helps.

Offline icarus4321

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2014, 11:31:28 AM »
Nice.  Thats way cheaper than the $35 garages that I see around where I work in the loop.

My last.fm Profile

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2014, 08:47:06 AM »
So, facebook says the show is at 7, but can we assume that means doors open at 7 and show's at 8, right?  I can't imagine them starting the show at 7.

Offline horizonflyer

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2014, 09:20:41 AM »
Doors at 7 show is at 8 - the parking garage is a "pre-pay reserved" - its $21 and you can get in at 4pm and have to be out by 4am - here is the link:

https://www.findeventparking.com/park/ChicagoParking/FindEvents.aspx?LocSearchID=16&Type=5

Cheers.....

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2014, 09:27:50 AM »
Today's the day, fellas. :metal

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2014, 10:15:38 AM »
I am sooo excited!!

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2014, 11:52:15 PM »
Fantastic show.  Some thoughts:

- The Enemy Inside is much more of a live song than anything.  It's a good, catchy tune on record, but live it's really something else.  Super intense.
- I never liked the studio version of The Shattered Fortress.  I didn't really like it live either.   :P
- I have a new appreciation for Scarred.  What a masterpiece that one is.
- Space Dye Vest is an awesome tune live.  The changes that the band make at the end make a huge difference -- and for the better.
- Illumination Theory is brilliant live.  The orchestral section was hit or miss -- I enjoyed it, but I could tell people around me were getting antsy.
- Dat SFAM encore.  Guys played TDOE flawlessly.  Finally Free really came to life.  I was like 7 when the band toured in support of this album -- shame I missed it.
- JLB flubbed half a verse in Strange Deja Vu :lol
- Speaking of, JLB has never sounded better.  He totally killed it. 
- Mangini's a monster, but we all knew that already.
- Sat behind a cool fellow with an ADTOE tshirt and a herniated disk, talked to him before the show started.  He said he had avoided all setlist spoilers -- here's to you, fella, if you're reading this.  Hope you enjoyed the show.
- This isn't really related to the show, but there were a couple people directly behind me who were talking for literally three fourths of the show.  They weren't talking about the show, either -- just small talk.  You know, how their days went.  What they were going to do tomorrow.  I've never heard anything like it -- it was as if they were at a club and DT was just playing to provide ambiance.  During Space Dye Vest, you could hear two voices -- Conan talking about the weather and this fucking guy behind me talking about a friend of his.  If you guys are reading this, fuck you.

Offline docsp76

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2014, 08:19:10 AM »
That is the tightest I've ever head the band. The clarity was phenomenal. I could hear all the instruments really well. Myung was a bit quiet but I'm used to it sadly. James was fucking awesome! One of my buddies who was with me, who isn't the biggest Labrie fan, thought he was killer. Petrucci had a little hiccup on the intro to OTBOA but pulled through. One strange thing was everyone was chanting on the "ands" of the beat during the intro to Shattered Fortress but I think it was James' fault. He even gave a funny look to the guys like "what the hell?". It made it feel really weird and I noticed that as so as we all got started chanting all the guys huddled around Mangini's kit and were watching him closely. I think it was throwing them off, or starting to anyway. I also like Labrie's psa about shooting video. He said something like "You have us right here in 3D so why would you watch us through a 3 inch screen the whole night?" Mangini's solo was cool as hell. It's the first time I've seen them with Mangini so I was really floored by it. The crowd seemed a little dead to me on the first set but picked up a little more on the second. The only thing bad about the show for me was the drunken assholes sitting right behind us. Totally obnoxious. Screaming over the quiet parts in songs, spilling beers, etc... They got better after they came back from smoking a bowl. Right at the end of Finally Free I swear a speaker was going out. We all heard a nasty buzz coming through the PA. May have been something else but that's what it sounded like. For me that ties for the best show I've ever seen them play.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2014, 09:26:07 AM »
I  don't have much to add.  Certainly the best show both my friend and I have ever seen. Loved the setlist, videos, lighting, everything.

One interesting thing.  James said that the Pull Me Under video was shot at this venue. 

Offline claybobay

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
Yeah, James got the crowd chanting on the "and"s during TSF. On another note, security guards were sticklers about having cameras, even though they were allowed for pictures.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2014, 11:25:26 AM »
Fantastic show.  Some thoughts:

- The Enemy Inside is much more of a live song than anything.  It's a good, catchy tune on record, but live it's really something else.  Super intense.
- I never liked the studio version of The Shattered Fortress.  I didn't really like it live either.   :P
- I have a new appreciation for Scarred.  What a masterpiece that one is.
- Space Dye Vest is an awesome tune live.  The changes that the band make at the end make a huge difference -- and for the better.
- Illumination Theory is brilliant live.  The orchestral section was hit or miss -- I enjoyed it, but I could tell people around me were getting antsy.
- Dat SFAM encore.  Guys played TDOE flawlessly.  Finally Free really came to life.  I was like 7 when the band toured in support of this album -- shame I missed it.
- JLB flubbed half a verse in Strange Deja Vu :lol
- Speaking of, JLB has never sounded better.  He totally killed it. 
- Mangini's a monster, but we all knew that already.
- Sat behind a cool fellow with an ADTOE tshirt and a herniated disk, talked to him before the show started.  He said he had avoided all setlist spoilers -- here's to you, fella, if you're reading this.  Hope you enjoyed the show.
- This isn't really related to the show, but there were a couple people directly behind me who were talking for literally three fourths of the show.  They weren't talking about the show, either -- just small talk.  You know, how their days went.  What they were going to do tomorrow.  I've never heard anything like it -- it was as if they were at a club and DT was just playing to provide ambiance.  During Space Dye Vest, you could hear two voices -- Conan talking about the weather and this fucking guy behind me talking about a friend of his.  If you guys are reading this, fuck you.

There were a few guys behind us who talked too much, too, but fortunately they went elsewhere after the first set.  I might have kicked them all in the nuts had they ruined my enjoyment of Space Dye vest (which WAS totally awesome!!). :biggrin:

As for the orchestral bit in IT, I loved it.  I actually stood there with my arms folded behind my back and eyes closed and just let the music wash over me during that section.  Very surreal. :hefdaddy

JLB definitely sounded great. :coolio

Mangini was far more entertaining to watch than I thought he'd be.  Okay, I didn't think he wouldn't be, but what I mean is he is far more of a showman than many give him credit for.  Between his facial expressions and the way he moves around his kit when he is playing, he is a joy to watch.  I think I watched him almost as much as I watched Petrucci (who is impossible not to watch most of the time :lol).

For me that ties for the best show I've ever seen them play.

I don't think they can ever top the Metropolis: 2000 show we saw in Orlando at the House of Blues, but last night might very well come in 2nd place of the six shows I've seen. 

One interesting thing.  James said that the Pull Me Under video was shot at this venue.

I thought he had said Chicago was the city where they filmed it; I don't remember him mentioning the venue.  Or maybe I am misremembering. ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2014, 11:35:37 AM »
PMU was filmed in a tiny club.

Kev, I agree with you 100% on what you say about Mangini. Sure MP was a great showman live, but anyone that that thinks Mangini isn't is not paying attention. Mangini is absolutely mesmerizing live.

Can you also pick up on JM's vibe of how much he truly enjoys playing with Mangini?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2014, 11:44:40 AM »
I didn't get that vibe about Myung as much as others have, but I can see why some think that.  I was more impressed with how much more relaxed and comfortable JLB looks now.  Seriously, it's like he took frontman lessons or something. :lol :lol

Mesmerizing is a great word to describe Mangini. :tup :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2014, 11:46:50 AM »
I said the day MP left that the biggest winner would be James. He just seems so empowered now. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2014, 11:51:32 AM »
Damn straight.

And oh happy days, I'll be seeing the band again in Kansas City in three days. :metal :metal

Offline icarus4321

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2014, 12:09:04 PM »
I was definitely impressed by Labrie last night.  I think that was the best that I've ever seen him in the 6 shows that I've attended. 

My last.fm Profile

Offline Mladen

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2014, 12:21:55 PM »
Yeah, James got the crowd chanting on the "and"s during TSF. On another note, security guards were sticklers about having cameras, even though they were allowed for pictures.
Wait a second, what are the ''and''s in TSF?

Great comments, everyone.  :tup

Offline claybobay

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2014, 12:48:36 PM »
Wait a second, what are the ''and''s in TSF?

Great comments, everyone.  :tup

I just meant he had us clapping on a weird part of the beat that is not usually clapped on.

Offline HoboDelta

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2014, 04:02:08 PM »
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to download the video they played at
The beginning with all the album covers in succession?  It was sick!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2014, 04:46:10 PM »
There is a fan-recorded shot of it on YT, but if you are wanting a professional shot of it and all that, you might have to wait till they release the video of the Boston show.

Also, randomness: when waiting for the doors to open last night, I was amused by these four guys talking, one of whom was schooling the others on what the set list would be, but he was inaccurate to say the least. 

"The first set is most of the new album, and The Bigger Picture's in there."

'The second set is all of Awake plus Breaking All Illusions."

I admittedly chuckled to myself and thought, "Well, at least his friends will be surprised when the set list they are expecting doesn't come to fruition." :lol :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2014, 06:00:52 PM »
Just got back from the show and I can say without a doubt it was one of the two best times I have ever seen them (the other one the first leg of the ADTOE tour). 

I said before I wasn't too thrilled with the setlist but the parts I was thrilled with more than made up for it.  I ended up really enjoying TSF live even though it is still my least favorite of the 12SS.  I also don't care for LSOAD and Scarred but they provided a good break considering I nearly broke my neck thrashing out to Mirror and Lie. 

IT was mind blowing.  James did struggle out the end but not in a noticeable way.  He even went down an octave for one of the bigger notes but it sounded fucking killer. 

One of my favorite parts of the night was at the beginning of Space Dye Vest.  The guy next to us nearly shit himself.  Of course, I knew they were going to play it but he obviously didn't and he said, "OH MY GOD!!!!!  THEY'VE NEVER PLAYED THIS!!!! HOLY SHIT!!!!!" He looked over at me like, "Can you believe this?" and in that split second I obviously couldn't say, "I agree that its awesome but I've known the setlist for about 2 months" so I was just like, "I know, awesome, right?" 

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2014, 07:00:45 PM »

I thought he had said Chicago was the city where they filmed it; I don't remember him mentioning the venue.  Or maybe I am misremembering. ;)

That makes more sense than what I remembered.  I actually watched the video today trying to figure it out.  Thanks for clarifying!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2014, 10:06:47 PM »
How is the light show this tour? The videos I've seen seem like it's quite a wild light show, but how would it compare to last tour, which I thought was their biggest one since I&W
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2014, 10:13:08 PM »
Production is IMO far better than for the ADTOE tour.  The light show is much more precise and detailed than before, thanks in large part to the static setlist.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2014, 10:34:46 PM »
I was more impressed with how much more relaxed and comfortable JLB looks now.  Seriously, it's like he took frontman lessons or something. :lol :lol

That's a great way to describe it.  I've never seen JLB act so much like... well, like how I would expect a singer to act :lol

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2014, 11:00:43 PM »
7th DT show and it was absolutely the BEST! They were tighter than ever, and the setlist flowed so well. Bravo!!

Also, they CANNOT top those visuals without moving to arenas.

Offline bretweir

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2014, 12:09:29 PM »
Great show. My first DT live... Sounded better than any band I've ever seen live though. No complaints here.

Anyone know where I can find the t-shirts like JLB was wearing? "redemption love and faith" on the front and "live free" on the back? TIA

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2014, 12:14:55 PM »
Yeah, I forgot to mention the sound, but I was more than pleasantly surprised by it.  Not only was the volume just right (not too loud, although if you were near the front on either side, I suspect being in front of those huge wall of speakers might not have been fun :lol), but you could clearly hear the keyboards the entire night instead of them being drowned out by the guitar, and never once did I think the drums were too loud (which I worried about when I saw a clip from the Boston show where Mangini's snare drum was super loud). 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2014, 12:17:54 PM »
Kev, the whole  Boston show was too loud. But that aside I thought the mix was excellent. From where I was, I could clearly hear both JR & JM.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2014, 12:56:25 PM »
How is the light show this tour? The videos I've seen seem like it's quite a wild light show, but how would it compare to last tour, which I thought was their biggest one since I&W
Dunno if they've changed the light show between the tour legs, but at least during TDOE the lighting was awesome and matched the craziness of the song when I saw them live.

Offline horizonflyer

« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2014, 02:39:21 PM »
Here are some of my pics from the show:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10201989760127125.1073741828.1279196945&type=1&l=f5c5eeca00

FYI You don't need a Facebook account to view them!

Enjoy.....

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2014, 03:17:57 PM »
As for the orchestral bit in IT, I loved it.  I actually stood there with my arms folded behind my back and eyes closed and just let the music wash over me during that section.  Very surreal. :hefdaddy

I love this part so much that I clipped it out and will have it playing in the background during my wedding on Saturday!   ;D

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2014, 05:31:23 PM »
Here are some of my pics from the show:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10201989760127125.1073741828.1279196945&type=1&l=f5c5eeca00

FYI You don't need a Facebook account to view them!

Enjoy.....

Thanks for sharing.  Looks like the picks are all later in the show - after James changed shirts.  I think when the show opened James and JP looked at each other and said, "Dude, we're wearing the same shirt, it was supposed to be my turn!"

Yeah, I know, not exactly the same, but VERY similar. :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
Yeah, I forgot to mention the sound, but I was more than pleasantly surprised by it.  Not only was the volume just right (not too loud, although if you were near the front on either side, I suspect being in front of those huge wall of speakers might not have been fun :lol)

Speak for yourself man.  I was about two rows behind the stage left speakers and I thought the sound was great, although probably a little low for my tastes.  JM and MM were a little low in the mix. 

I just don't dig when I can hear peoples conversations over the music.  Fortunately, unlike some people, i didn't have a problem with that except in one short spot in the show.  I guess the guys behind me just got excited about something and started talking about it but stopped after 30 seconds or so.