Author Topic: DTF 2013 Album of the Year  (Read 10593 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
DTF 2013 Album of the Year
« on: December 19, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »
I'm running the album of the year poll this year because Nick doesn't want to.  Nick did a great job, but I'm going to change it up a bit this year.

As in past years it is time to determine DTF's 2013 albums of the year in a few different categories.  But I'm not going to do multiple rounds.  List your top 10, and feel free to list your reasons why along with any discussion.  But make sure you rank them.  I will talley up the points at the end.  Failure to rank them, or cheating by doing more than 10, or giving more than one album the same rank (no ties allowed) will get you disqualified. 

As in the past all full-length original material originally released in 2013 can be submitted. 

Feel free to list a top 10 in each of the followig categories:

1.  Top 10 Full-Length Studio Albums
This should be self-explanatory.  What cannot be included:
*EPs (Exception: The Color Spectrum may be included as a whole)
*Live albums
*Compilations
*Albums released digitally or in some countries in 2012 to be later released as hard copy or other countries in 2013.
*Krotchraut

2.  Top 5 Live Albums
*Albums can have video (DVD, BluRay), but must also have audio to qualify.  If it was a DVD-only or BluRay only release, it doesn't count.
*Albums released digitally or in some countries in 2012 to be later released as hard copy or other countries in 2013.

3.  Top 5 Compilation or Covers Albums
*Yeah, they are two different things.  But I don't really care.

As in past years your lists should be submitted in order in the following format:

1. Band - Album
2. Band - Album
3. Band - Album
etc

Lists not in that format will not be counted. You may include up to 10 albums in your list. If you wish to edit your initial list, feel free.  Not sure how long I'll leave it open, but it will definitely be up a couple of weeks and go into the new year.  If the thread dies, I will try to remember to bump it and let people know when I get to within 3 days or so of cutting it off and talleying the votes.  Unless something goofy happens where there are a lot of ties, I'm not going to do subsequent rounds.  My plan is to just count up the scores and then list the top 10/5/5.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:03:52 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: DTF 2013 Album of the Year
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 04:53:39 PM »
1.Rivers Of Nihil - The Conscious Seed of Light
2.Chvrches - The Bones of What You Believe
3.Dream Theater - Dream Theater
4.Lady Gaga - Artpop
5.Disfigure The Goddess - Black Earth Child
6.Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed
7.Queens of the Stone Age - … Like Clockwork
8.Eisley - Currents
9.The Ocean - Pelagial
10.Chthonic - Bu Tik

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 05:17:42 PM »
Studio:

1) Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing (and other stories)
2) Big Big Train - English Electric, Part Two
3) The Opium Cartel - Ardor
4) These New Puritans - Field of Reeds
5) Moon Safari - Himlabacken, Vol. 1
6) Anna von Hausswolff - Ceremony
7) Jack o’ the Clock - All My Friends
8) Mike Keneally - You Must Be This Tall
9) Pixel - We Are All Small Pixels
10) Chrome Hoof - Chrome Black Gold

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
I didn't listen to a ton of music this year, so I'll just do ten studio albums. The #1 is a sure thing, the rest of the list could go in any order really.

1: Haken - The Mountain
2: Dream Theater - Dream Theater
3: Kowalski - For the Love Of Letting Go
4: Chalk Dinosaur - Perspective
5: Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep
6: Moon Safari - Himlabacken - Vol 1
7: Tesseract - Altered State
8: This Town Needs Guns - 13.0.0.0.0
9: Riverside - Shrine of New Generation Slaves
10: Big Big Train - English Electric 2
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 05:25:09 PM »
1. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing
2. James Labrie - Impermanent Resonance
3. Kayo Dot - Hubardo
4. Sigur Ros - Kveikur
5. Deafheaven - Sunbather
6. The Dear Hunter - Migrant
7. Ulver - I.X-VI.X
8. Coheed and Cambria - The Afterman: Descension
9. Riverside - Shrine of New Generation Slaves
10. Dream Theater- Dream Theater
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 05:37:39 PM »
Studio Albums:

1. Janelle Monáe - The Electric Lady
2. Paramore - Paramore
3. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories)
4. Coheed and Cambria - The Afterman: Descension
5. Capital Cities - In A Tidal Wave of Mystery
6. Dream Theater - Dream Theater
7. James LaBrie - Impermanent Resonance
8. Sigur Rós - Kveikur
9. Crystal Fighters - Cave Rave
10. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 05:59:49 PM »
Studio Albums (this was hard):

1. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
2. Haken - The Mountain
3. Panic! At The Disco - Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die!
4. Gold Fields - Black Sun
5. Coheed And Cambria - The Afterman: Descension
6. Queensryche - Queensryche
7. Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep
8. Alter Bridge - Fortress
9. Atlas Genius - When It Was Now
10. Fates Warning - Darkness In A Different Light
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 06:21:30 PM »
I may change my ordering, but here is my tentative:

Studio:
1.  Dream Theater - Dream Theater:  Much like ADTOE, this album is incredibly consistent, even if it may not quite have some of the highs as their best albums.  Very solid effort.
2.  Avantasia - The Mystery of Time:  These guys weren’t even on my radar—this was an accidental discovery.  But it is SO good.  Maybe I'll get tired of it in a few weeks and it will fall a bit.  But for now, here it sits at #2.
3.  Trivium - Vengeance Falls:  Based on reviews, I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I do.  Good thing I don't care about reviews.  This continues in the same vein a In Waves, but perhaps just a bit more commercial, and a bit less of the screamy vocals (although, like In Waves, they are mostly used as the secondary vocal, which I find VERY effective for their sound).
4.  James LaBrie - Impermanent Resonance:  Amazed at how good this album is.  James' best by far.
5.  Queensryche - Queensryche:  Would be higher based on quality, but their ranking suffers due to quantity.  Still, these guys are on the right track.  Very, VERY good album.
6.  Fates Warning - Darkness In A Different Light:  Very good album from them.  I almost feel guilty not ranking it higher.  This is their best release yet.
7.  Stryper - No More Hell To Pay:  Solid effort.  Michael Sweet still sounds amazing.  Listening to some of the screams he does, and how solid and clean his voice is throughout the album, it's hard to believe he is as old as he is.  Solid riffing.  Great melodies and hooks.  This is right up there with the best from their classic period. 
8.  Red - Release The Panic:  Some good songs; some mediocre ones.  But as a whole, pretty good album.
9.  Winery Dogs - The Winery Dogs:  If you're on this forum and wanted to hear this, you probably have, so I won't go on about it.
10.  Leaves’ Eyes - Symphonies of the Night:  This is a step up from the last two albums.  Not great, but not bad.  I was torn between this and Super Collider for #10.  I gave it to them because I've listened to this album more recently, and because Liv is a bit cuter than Dave.

Live:
1.  Dream Theater - Live At Luna Park:  What can I say?  Solid.  Concert-wise, I'd probably rank this as their second best, behind LSFNY.
2.  Epica - Retrospect:  Such good musicians and writers.  A lot of their lyrics turn me off, but I can mostly get past that and just listen to the music, which is very good.
3.  Neal Morse - Live Momentum:  It's Neal Morse, Randy George, and Mike Portnoy, along with a group of other very talented musicans playing Neal's stuff.  What else do you need to know?  Hard to believe this came out this year.
4.  Def Leppard - Viva Hysteria: I am pleasantly surprised about how good this is.
5.  Nightwish - Showtime, Storytime:  I kinda feel guilty ranking this below Def Leppard.  But, I dunno...Floor is great, but this isn't their best performance, the sound quality isn't great, and the between song banter is...as much as I despise using this term, it's legitimately cringeworthy.  That said, this is still an enjoyable release.  It barely edges out Flying Colors.

Compilations, etc.:
1.  Stryper - Second Coming:  I really like what they did with these songs.  They stayed true to the originals for the most part, but really did a legitimate update.  This is what a re-release of songs should be.
Unfortunately, I don't have any others for this category.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 07:12:20 PM »
Studio Albums:

1. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
2. Coheed And Cambria - The Afterman: Descension
3. Haken - The Mountain
4. Dream Theater - Dream Theater
5. A Day To Remember - Common Courtesy
6. Sirens & Sailors - Skeletons
7. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
8. August Burns Red - Rescue & Restore
9. Ghost - Infestissumam
10. Alter Bridge - Fortress

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 07:18:38 PM »
Studio:
1.       Olafur Arnalds – For Now I Am Winter: Really good ambient music with lots of electronic elements. Perfect for this time of year
2.       Laura Marling – Once I Was an Eagle: Highly meditative album with some great lyrics and melodies that haunt you long after you're finished listening
3.       Protest the Hero – Volition: Fun, high octane progmetal album
4.       Laura Stevenson and The Cans – Wheel: Stevenson is a great lyricist with a fantastic heart melting voice
5.       Levin, Minneman, Rudess – Self-titled: Super fun, impressive album
6.       Boards of Canada – Tomorrow’s Harvest: Very accessible electronic album
7.       Steven Wilson – The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories…): Modern prog masterpiece, SW keeps getting better
8.       Sigur Ros – Kveikur: Many consider it a comeback, but I liked Valtari a bit better. Still I love the percussive emphasis on this
9.       Tyr - Valkryja: Melodic, powerful, inspiring viking music
10.     Deafhaven - Sunbather: Lush, symphonic blackgaze

Live
1.       Anathema - Universal (CD counterpart called "Untouchable"): Simply stunning
2.       PSMS - Live in Tokyo: Lots of fun to see these guys playing together
3.       Dream Theater - Live at Luna Park: Liked it more than DT12
4.       A Perfect Circle - Live at Red Rocks: These songs have a lot of extra energy live
5.       Flying Colors - Flying Colors: It's good, but more here by default. I haven't seen anything else.

Compilation
1.       Bob Dylan - Official Bootleg Series 10: Another Self Portrait
2.       A Perfect Circle - Three Sixty
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:20:29 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 07:19:08 PM »
Studio
1. Fates Warning - Darkness in a Different Light
2. Alter Bridge - Fortress
3. Queensryche - s/t
4. TesseracT - Altered States
5. Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady
6. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (and Other Stories)
7. Haken - The Mountain
8. The Winery Dogs - s/t
9. Pamela Moore - Resurrect Me
10. Dream Theater - s/t
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 08:15:33 PM »
Posting this before I spend another 20 minutes switching around the order (although I already did it for another five anyway after typing that). :mehlin

Top 10 Full-Length Studio Albums
1. James LaBrie - Impermanent Resonance
2. Sound of Contact - Dimensionaut
3. Circle of Illusion - Jeremias
4. Stratovarius - Nemesis
5. Magnus Karlsson - Free Fall
6. Haken - The Mountain
7. The Naked and Famous - In Rolling Waves
8. Dream Theater - Dream Theater
9. Find Me - Wings of Love
10. Big Big Train - English Electric part 2
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:56:17 AM by Bolsters »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 10:29:11 PM »
I'm going to get one new release as a Christmas present, so I'll wait until I've heard it and then post my list.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 12:29:01 AM »
1. Queens of the Stone Age - …Like Clockwork
2. A Great Big Pile of Leaves – You’re Always on My Mind
3. Kanye West – Yeezus
4. Disclousure – Settle
5. Kid Cudi - Indicud
6. Volcano Choir – Repave
7. The Reptilian – Low Health
8. Arcade Fire – Reflektor
9. Bonobo – The North Borders
10. Deafheaven - Sunbather

prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 12:37:26 AM »
Studio Albums

1- Steven Wilson- The Raven that Refused to Sing
2- Dream Theater- Dream Theater
3- Shineback- Rise Up Forgotten, Return Destroyed
4- Kingcrow- In Crescendo
5- Fish- A Feast of Consequences
6- Karnya- Covering Thoughts
7- Haken- The Mountain
8- 81db- A Blind Man's Dream
9- Spock's Beard- Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep
10- Lalu- Atomic Ark

(just want to give a mention to Maestrick-Unpuzzle, a debut that was a re-release, but would have challenged easily for my album of the year)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 04:21:09 AM »
Studio

1 Dream Theater - Dream Theater

After ADTOE being a huge disappointment to me, this knocked me out of the park.  I keep coming back to this album so much it's easily made my DT top 3 and could go higher.  IT is possibly the best song they have ever done.  This whole album is the real deal, the guys really have outdone themselves.

The bands best album by far.  This was definitely a grower but like DT12, it's an album that you can simply keep coming back to.  The riffs, the solos, the grooves, the vox, the songs, everything about this is just incredible.  The best modern rock band out there today, and they deserve more credit.

3. Magnus Karlsson - Freefall

This album is interchangable with Alter Bridge between second and third spot, but for today Freefall gets the bronze.  Magnus Karlsson is one of my fav songwriters and musicians in the melodic rock and metal world and simply a stunning and underrated guitarist.  This album is filled with incredibly catchy songs and an all star vocal lineup.  Simple, effective album with song after song of great performances, great solos and vocals and unreal melodies.

4. James Labrie - Impermanent Resonance

James and his wonderful band give us an original and brilliant piece of heavy ass melodic pop with this album.  A great follow up to SI the formula here works and the songs are amazing.  Another album that has great lasting appeal and can be revisited and never gets stale.

5. Avantasia - The Mystery of Time

This was a solid piece but bosk's recent recognition made me go back and realise how solid it actually is.  It's fast gone to the number 5 spot.  Tobi does it again with an interesting lineup and just an amazing set of songs, with a great atmosphere to boot.

6. Trivium - Vengeance Falls

After fearing the worst with this album and having to go into it head on with no expectations, with time this actually opened up to be an amazing album.  Consistent, solid and just great track after great track.  This is possibly already my third fav Trivium album.  Great album where the guys take a different direction and make no apologies.

7. Queensryche - Queensryche

The change of singer is exactly what this band needed.  This short but sweet album is the perfect sample of this new lineup up and the songs here are just insane.  Anotehr album that repeated listens is no problem.  Inredible metal.

8. Masterplan - Novum Initium

A surprise for me as I wasn't expecting anything from this.  The production is pretty average but Roland and co produce a quality power metal album.  An incredible step up from the last pile of crap and the new singer is awesome.

9. Mercenary - Through Our Darkest Days

Underrated band and album right here.  This is classified as melodeath, but it's really quite poppy with some growls.  Amazing songs, incredible choruses and great vox and solos.  Anyone into the genre should definitely check it out because this album is a winner.

10. Helloween - Straight Out of Hell

The solid Deris lineup produces another slab of metal and continues this band in a great direction.  Heavy, classic with great variety and performances, this album is awesome.

Live

1. Testament - Dark Roots of Thrash.
Amazing live album and dvd.  Great performances from the whole band.

2. Kreator - Dying Alive
Awesome DVD and great thrash performance.  Any fan of the band should own this.

3. Rush - Clockwork Angels tour
The 80's stuff is what did this for me.

4. PSMS - Live in Tokyo
Great jams and performances.

5. DT - Live at Luna Park
A little inconsistent, but some great performances here.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:26:19 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 04:41:00 AM »
Studio

1 Dream Theater - Dream Theater

After ADTOE being a huge disappointment to me, this knocked me out of the park.  I keep coming back to this album so much it's easily made my DT top 3 and could go higher.  IT is possibly the best song they have ever done.  This whole album is the real deal, the guys really have outdone themselves.

The bands best album by far.  This was definitely a grower but like DT12, it's an album that you can simply keep coming back to.  The riffs, the solos, the grooves, the vox, the songs, everything about this is just incredible.  The best modern rock band out there today, and they deserve more credit.

3. Magnus Karlsson - Freefall

This album is interchangable with Alter Bridge between second and third spot, but for today Freefall gets the bronze.  Magnus Karlsson is one of my fav songwriters and musicians in the melodic rock and metal world and simply a stunning and underrated guitarist.  This album is filled with incredibly catchy songs and an all star vocal lineup.  Simple, effective album with song after song of great performances, great solos and vocals and unreal melodies.

4. James Labrie - Impermanent Resonance

James and his wonderful band give us an original and brilliant piece of heavy ass melodic pop with this album.  A great follow up to SI the formula here works and the songs are amazing.  Another album that has great lasting appeal and can be revisited and never gets stale.

5. Avantasia - The Mystery of Time

This was a solid piece but bosk's recent recognition made me go back and realise how solid it actually is.  It's fast gone to the number 5 spot.  Tobi does it again with an interesting lineup and just an amazing set of songs, with a great atmosphere to boot.

6. Trivium - Vengeance Falls

After fearing the worst with this album and having to go into it head on with no expectations, with time this actually opened up to be an amazing album.  Consistent, solid and just great track after great track.  This is possibly already my third fav Trivium album.  Great album where the guys take a different direction and make no apologies.

7. Queensryche - Queensryche

The change of singer is exactly what this band needed.  This short but sweet album is the perfect sample of this new lineup up and the songs here are just insane.  Anotehr album that repeated listens is no problem.  Inredible metal.

8. Masterplan - Novum Initium

A surprise for me as I wasn't expecting anything from this.  The production is pretty average but Roland and co produce a quality power metal album.  An incredible step up from the last pile of crap and the new singer is awesome.

9. Mercenary - Through Our Darkest Days

Underrated band and album right here.  This is classified as melodeath, but it's really quite poppy with some growls.  Amazing songs, incredible choruses and great vox and solos.  Anyone into the genre should definitely check it out because this album is a winner.

10. Helloween - Straight Out of Hell

The solid Deris lineup produces another slab of metal and continues this band in a great direction.  Heavy, classic with great variety and performances, this album is awesome.

Nice list.............and must be the first "best" list on this forum I've seen where I own every one (or even close).    The Trivium I have not listened to - bought more as a curiosity to see what they're like seeing as I'd been told it was perhaps more melodic??.   Quite possibly not my style but what the hell.

I agree with you on DT at number one too -  however ADTOE wasn't such a disappointment to me.  I love them both and consider them both a return to form.

Plenty of good stuff this year but having said that I'm not super enthused about much other than the DT........ possibly Seventh Key, N.O.W. and Pretty Maids.  Still a number of discs I haven't listened to as yet. , so that could be subject to change.

The Queensryche was to me more of a very promising step in the right direction that has me optimistic for the future. It initially sounded a lot better than it really was to me because I so badly wanted it to be good (and it's farken amazing relative to the crap they've dished up the last 15 years)..........but in the end I felt there was often something missing.  I either loved the verse and not the chorus or the chorus and not the pre-chorus (Redemption) etc....  I seriously want them to blow the roof off with the next one though and think they can.  I think I rated it around 80% which is a very good  rating on my scale but it could've been better and they've admitted themselves it was rushed out.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 05:12:50 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 04:46:12 AM »
Maybe I missed it, but when's the deadline? I usually compile mine around/on New Years Eve, and use these last 2 weeks before to go through albums I've missed.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 05:44:56 AM »
1. Magnus Karlsson's Freefall - s/t
2. Serenity - War of Ages
3. Avantasia  - Mystery of Time
4. DGM - Momentum
5. Vandroya - One
6. Pretty Maids - Motherland
7. Ayreon - The Theory of Everything
8. Mindmaze - Mask of Lies
9. Dream Theater - s/t
10. Masterplan - Novum Initium

Really, REALLY want to include Silent Force's just released album, but there's just no room.  Same for Epysode/Fantasmagoria.  I honestly need 14 spots to do my Top 10.  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 05:48:04 AM »
1. Magnus Karlsson's Freefall - s/t
2. Serenity - War of Ages
3. Avantasia  - Mystery of Time
4. DGM - Momentum
5. Vandroya - One
6. Pretty Maids - Motherland
7. Ayreon - The Theory of Everything
8. Mindmaze - Mask of Lies
9. Dream Theater - s/t
10. Masterplan - Novum Initium

Really, REALLY want to include Silent Force's just released album, but there's just no room.  Same for Epysode/Fantasmagoria.  I honestly need 14 spots to do my Top 10.  :lol

Ah.............Pretty Maids  :tup  Personally I own that much Bormann stuff that Silent Force (which sounds much the same as a lot of it) hasn't inspired me.

DGM I haven't listened to yet , but expect to love it.   Mindmaze I have on order thanks to jingle.boy radio  ;D   The vast majority of my prog metal collection relates to to what I view as the classic bands (the pioneers of the 80's and those who took it to the next level in the 90's like DT, SX , Vanden Plas and Elegy). 90% of what I've heard since hasn't compared favorably so I've lost a bit of interest in recent years with  keeping up as much as I have with melodic rock.  But these forums and jb radio in recent days have given me a quick refresher course and resulted in a few purchases $$$$ so I think I owe you you owe me a beer or two jingle.boy. :)

I also learned that there are now more female fronted metal bands than I've had hot dinners
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 06:08:27 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 05:55:11 AM »
Pretty Maids would be probably spot 12 or 13 for me.  Terrific album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 06:32:10 AM »
1. Dream Theater - Dream Theater
2. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
3. Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing (and other stories)
4. The Dear Hunter - Migrant
5. Moon Safari - Himlabacken Vol. 1
6. Sigur Ros - Kveikur
7. Haken - The Mountain
8. Subsignal - Paraiso
9. Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep
10. Von Hertzen Brothers - Nine Lives
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 06:41:05 AM »
Top 10 Studio Albums of 2013:

1. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)

The album has proven to maintain the first impression of 'too good to be true'. It made a huge impression, and went on to grow even higher. I can safely say this is my favorite Steven Wilson solo record thus far, and already one of my favorite albums of all time. It's absolutely monumental and VERY hard to live up to when it comes to a new release from SW solo.. I can't wait to hear what he'll come up with next.

2. Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

My favorite electronic artists from legendary label WARP release their first record since 2005's The Campfire Headphase. It's beautiful, dark and often melancholic electronic music. It plays like a soundtrack to a 70's apocalyptic movie. While nothing may ever touch the genius of Music Has The Right to Children, BoC prove that they still have much left to say. The funny thing about it too, it that this music might have been created in 2011/2012, but for all we know it was already recorded in the 90's. There's really no way to tell, because BoC have their own genre of electronic music, totally outside of whatever trends are playing. Pick this up if you want immersive, emotional electronic music WITHOUT the dance aspect.

3. Alter Bridge - Fortress

Alter Bridge are great at churning out streamlined, epic American rock and metal. On this release, they come very close to perfecting that formula. At times the 'full' production can get on my nerves, but when I feel like it, it's just totally ON. ABIII saw Alter Bridge coming a bit more into their own, but this record is just too awesome for words if you're an Alter Bridge fan. It doesn't have a song that's as good as Blackbird, instead it is bookended by two songs that are almost as good as Blackbird. That's totally fine by me.

4. Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork

These songs are just so strong. All of them. They're maybe not the most emotional, or most heavy. But the songwriting itself is more diverse than ever, and the album really plays like a sort of journey. Maybe aside from Songs for the Deaf, this record has got to be their strongest yet.

5. Jon Hopkins - Immunity

If you're into organic electronic dance music, this will absolutely blow your mind. I can't really explain this album in words, one just has to listen to all of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q04ILDXe3QE to understand what this album is about.

6. De Staat - I_CON

A band from my country! Dutch band De Staat have long been at the forefront of alternative music in Holland. The only problem for me was that their songs were either boring or too reminiscent of Queens of the Stone Age. Not this record. This record's display of many genres is just astounding, and some songs could definitely be considered progressive. Listen to with an open mind.

7. James Blake - Overgrown

James Blake's second album contains one of my songs of the year; the title track. The rest is pretty good too and the singing is top notch. Just great songs, arrangements and melodies. A HUGE improvement on his debut. In my opinion one of the most exciting artists in the mainstream(ish) music world right now.

8. TesseracT - Altered State

I couldn't get into TesseracT previously, as there only seemed room for one 'djent' band in my musical tastes: Periphery. While I still think that Periphery's second record is great, this is just next level. Musically, this album just fits the band name like a glove. It's multi-dimensional, groovy melodic metal. I only got good things to say about this record. Even the vocals, they fit. The absence of harsh vocals is a logical step in the evolution of this band. Music and production (the recording & mix are INSANE!) are top notch.

9. Trentemøller - Lost

The king of 'Live Techno'. The creator of the electronic masterpiece 'The Last Resort'. This album is not nearly as good as that one, otherwise it would be number one. Still I find that I return often to this record, and that I haven't consumed it in full yet. The sound production is huge, and it never fails to interest me. A grower, that's still growing.

10. Kanye West - Yeezus

Kanye West wasn't lying when he said he was making some good music. I don't really like mainstream hiphop artists, but this album came as a total surprise. The scope of it is just totally nuts. I have to be honest and say that the comedic value of this album is probably why it's in my top 10, but honestly: the music on here is pretty damn cool.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 06:49:18 AM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 07:10:31 AM »
Studio:
1. Dream Theater - Dream Theater
2. Subsignal - Paraiso
3. steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing
4. Haken - The Mountain
5. James LaBrie - Impermanent Resonance
6. The Flower Kings - Desolation Rose
7. Fates Warning - Darkness In A Different Light
8. Levin, Minneman, Rudess - Levin, Minneman, Rudess
9. Big Big Train - English Electric Part 2
10. Rhapsody Of Fire - Dark Wings Of Steel

Live:
1. Dream Theater - Live At Luna Park
2. Neal Morse - Live Momentum
3. Flying Colors - Live In Europe
4. PSMS - Live In Tokyo
5. Rush - Clockwork Angels Tour
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 08:39:10 AM by Prog Snob »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2013, 07:18:44 AM »
On a quick look, it seems to me that right now Steven Wilson is winning album of the year and while not my number 1 his year it probably deserves it. :clap:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2013, 07:26:22 AM »
I haven't bought/heard 10 full albums from this year, so I'll just list the ones I have got. They're still in order of preference though.

1. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)
2. Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes & Dreamless Sleep
3. Dream Theater - Dream Theater
4. Sound of Contact - Dimensionaut
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 08:47:01 AM by RoeDent »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 07:51:04 AM »
Maybe I missed it, but when's the deadline? I usually compile mine around/on New Years Eve, and use these last 2 weeks before to go through albums I've missed.

Not sure how long I'll leave it open, but it will definitely be up a couple of weeks and go into the new year. 

You're fine.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 08:01:49 AM »
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought PSMS was exceptional!

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 08:18:05 AM »
1. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
2. Haken - The Mountain
3. Dream Theater - Dream Theater
4. Riverside - Shrine of New Generation Slaves
5. The Aristocrats - The Aristocrats
6. Joe Satriani - Unstoppable Momentum
7. Jolly - The Audio Guide To Hapiness Part 2
8. Jordan Rudess - All That Is Now
9. Soup - The Beauty of Our Youth
10. Steve Lukather - Transition

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2013, 08:18:28 AM »
Alright, here goes:

Studio Albums Top 10:

1. Haken - The Mountain
2. Karnivool - Asymmetry
3. James LaBrie - Impermanent Resonance
4. The Ocean - Pelagial
5. Protest the Hero - Volition
6. Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes & Dreamless Sleep
7. Leprous - Coal
8. Dream Theater - Dream Theater
9. Kanye West - Yeezus
10. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 08:30:25 AM »
1. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing (and other stories)
2. Dream Theater - Dream Theater
3. Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep
4. Pet Shop Boys - Electric
5. Arcade Fire - Reflektor
6. The Flower Kings - Desolation Rose
7. The Flaming Lips - The Terror
8. Anneke van Giersbergen - Drive
9. David Bowie - The Next Day
10. Sigur Rós - Kveikur

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 08:36:40 AM »
1. Steven Wilson- The Raven that Refused to Sing

I only bought one or two other albums that came out this year and they weren't spectacular, so this is the only one I'm listing.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2013, 08:39:40 AM »
Shit,  I completely forgot about TFK.  I just made an edit to my list Bosk.

Offline emtee

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2013, 09:17:23 AM »
1) Tesseract

2) Byzantine
3) Fates Warning
4) Alter Bridge
5) Steven Wilson
6) DT
7) Black Sabbath
8) Stryper

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2013, 09:19:41 AM »
Shit,  I completely forgot about TFK.  I just made an edit to my list Bosk.

Top 10 album that you forgot about??
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion