Author Topic: 2014-04-19 - Orpheum Theatre - Los Angeles, CA  (Read 11806 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2014-04-19 - Orpheum Theatre - Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2014, 07:15:34 PM »
A friend of mine and I will try to make a hangout. We're traveling from Idaho and will be at the in-store earlier that day.

Where's the in- store at?  I'll try to look it up.

Offline Ytsejammin

• The biggest DT freak in Idaho
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 08:37:54 PM »
The in-store is at Fingerprints. Remember talking to me on the phone after PN'09 when Vai showed up?
Through natures inflexible grace , I\'m learning to live.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 02:42:48 PM »
The in-store is at Fingerprints. Remember talking to me on the phone after PN'09 when Vai showed up?

Kinda (yes)...  ;D  I can barely remember my own name some days  :lol   That was a great show, I love the Greek! 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 03:13:07 PM »
Anyone selling a ticket? 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 06:17:37 PM »
Anyone selling a ticket?

On ticketmaster....   
Sec BALC Row E, Seats 111
$51.55 ea

thats 2nd row in on the balcony pretty much center  :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 06:28:48 PM »
Anyone selling a ticket?

On ticketmaster....   
Sec BALC Row E, Seats 111
$51.55 ea

thats 2nd row in on the balcony pretty much center  :biggrin:

Thanks, those must have just become available because I've been checking everyday, even this morning, and nothing... looks like I may be seeing DT for the third time this tour.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 05:15:20 AM »
Usually as the show approaches seats re-appear on ticketmaster, maybe folks selling them back or releasing them for sale?  I have friends who only by tix that way.  I can't leave it to chance like that... :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 10:32:49 AM »
So I got my ticket, going alone since I am 2000 miles from anyone I know. If there is a meet up I'd be interested so I can be social on this very unsocial work trip I am on.  I have seen DT twice on this tour already (NJ and NYC) so I cant say I am as excited, but I am very happy to have something to do tomorrow night that I know I will enjoy.  Also, for 50 bucks, I got what seems like a really solid seat to see one of my favorite bands.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2014, 10:39:37 AM »
So I got my ticket, going alone since I am 2000 miles from anyone I know. If there is a meet up I'd be interested so I can be social on this very unsocial work trip I am on.  I have seen DT twice on this tour already (NJ and NYC) so I cant say I am as excited, but I am very happy to have something to do tomorrow night that I know I will enjoy.  Also, for 50 bucks, I got what seems like a really solid seat to see one of my favorite bands.
Here you go (from page one) :

"Anyone up for a pre-show meet?  Maybe the LA Brewing company 1/2 a block away? 

https://labrewingco.com/

Not too familiar with that block area, but it looks pretty cool."

I'll probably be there, I'm by myself for this one.  I'll be wearing my DT hoodie (new CD cover) and my Awake shirt.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2014, 10:52:40 AM »

I'll probably be there, I'm by myself for this one.  I'll be wearing my DT hoodie (new CD cover) and my Awake shirt.

Thanks, saw that but wasnt sure if anyone was really going.  What time you guys planning on going?  I may put in some hours at work and was thinking of hitting up the beach to relax and get some reading done on Lifting Shadows.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2014, 10:59:40 AM »
Thanks, saw that but wasnt sure if anyone was really going.  What time you guys planning on going?  I may put in some hours at work and was thinking of hitting up the beach to relax and get some reading done on Lifting Shadows.
I'll probably hand out there for a while, I have nothing to do tomorrow other than drive from Riverside to L.A. (which only takes an hour or so).  No exact time but I think at least a few of us will be there.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2014, 01:01:19 PM »
I should be at the Brewing company right at 6. I'm sure you guys aren't selling phone numbers to telemarketers so here's my number  :lol

Greg   562 822 8345

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2014, 02:48:57 PM »
lol, I guess I will make the same assumption...

Marc 732-861-8233, honestly cant say what time Ill get there yet, but tomorrow ill update.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2014, 02:57:30 PM »
lol, I guess I will make the same assumption...

Marc 732-861-8233, honestly cant say what time Ill get there yet, but tomorrow ill update.

Cool!  ...just forwarded to all my sales reps  :lol  Gonna be a great show!  Starting to get pumped up.  :metal

Offline Shawn

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2014, 12:01:35 AM »

I'm going to try to be there. I love good beer. I'm getting down there pretty early. Get a good place to park , check the town out a little and get some beer.  I'm an F1 fan, so I'll be wearing a white shirt that says KAMUI across the front.

Offline Shawn

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2014, 04:43:59 PM »
Hey all you MF, oh, I mean DT fans. I'm at LA Brew already, bangin' back a Great Divide Yeti! Hit me up at the bar, white shirt and dark blue hat. Hit me up. Although, I'm getting antsy already.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2014, 05:32:48 PM »
I'll be there at 6-ish....  My shirt says Dream Theater in Concert on the front   :metal  (the shirt they gave for last tours meet and greet  :biggrin:

Time to ROCK!!!!!!!!! :metal :metal :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2014, 05:46:20 PM »
I won't get there closer till 7 probably

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2014, 06:05:41 PM »
My ride better get his ass here soon or I wont either... :lol............ :'(

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2014, 09:50:15 PM »
Lol wow wish I got that in video. Rudess came out for the leytar solo in trial of tears and he must of had the wrong sound programmed and it sounded reapy funny nd he immediately stopped and tried to do the solo on his keyboard but no sound was coming out for a few moments

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2014, 12:38:43 AM »
Some people are messed up in the head. At the concert this evening, during the encore, the girl in front of me stands and is singing/enjoying the music which lead to her blocking the view of the guy (at least twice her age) next to me. So this ass starts cursing her off and giving her the finger but due to the loudness and her enjoying the music, she doesn't even notice. The guy next to me gets very pissed and is clearly drunk so what does he do? He decides to take his camera and try to take a picture up her skirt. I clearly can see what he is doing so I grab his arm and tell him to stop which lead him to start cursing me out and threatening me. Shortly after the girl sat (never knowing what happened) and I got a fuck you and a middle finger in my face from the guy. Sick.

Pretty much ruined the encore for me.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2014, 01:22:02 AM »
That's so fucked up Marc  :-[  Sorry that happened mate.  Really enjoyed meeting up with you and having a brew!   How was the show from your vantage (besides the douchebag)?  I was absolutely astounded by the keytar fuck up... :lol  BUT...they recovered very nicely.  in seeing DT over a dozen times that was the biggest screw up I've ever seen.  As far as other firsts.... that was by far the best sounding and most evenly mixed show I've ever seen from the band.  Also the first show that I didn't feel deaf by the end off it.  I thought the crowd was probably the most interactive I've seen, and I think the band fed off it.  We were 3rd row right in front of JP... I had some great moments (eye contact/headbanging together moments) with him.  He threw 2 picks to me, got both of them and gave 1 too my buddy who's a guitar player.  Had the same great interaction with James during the show...oh...and James was fucking dead solid spot on.  Also MM at the end off the show gave us a lil finger point shout out.

All in all it was an awesome show!  WHEW!!!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2014, 02:48:16 AM »
Holy shit, James was on fire. There were a couple of times where he sounded better than the album version. One or two songs were a little shaky for him (in my opinion), but overall I'd give him 4.5 out of 5 stars. He killed. And JP - every single solo was perfection. They were all completely at their best. Absolutely A game from every one of them. Incredible show. Incredible sound. Incredible stage production. Incredible band. It was an honor to witness tonight's show. I can't wait for them to return so I can give them more of my money (spent $85 bucks in merch! haha).
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2014, 10:23:10 AM »
Greg - Nice meeting you and your friend as well.  It was nice to be around people since I've been on this business trip alone and even work alone so it was really nice to do something fun on a Saturday night.

I had a great view from my seat.  I could see the stage perfect, however I could not see any of the floor crowd so I couldn't tell what it was like from your perspective, but it was pretty relaxed in the balcony with different people in several spots getting really into it.

The sound was great.  I didnt find it to be too loud and I could hear all the instruments really well (well the bass was a little low, but thats pretty much always the case).  I was so happy to see JR "mess up" although I think that one will end up being on the keyboard tech.  Things like that make the experience unique.

I also thought it was funny when JLB said that he may miss some lyrics because of the contact high he was getting from the cannabis.  That cracked me up.  I personally didnt smell anything, but I could see the smoke coming from below and a small cluod forming at the top of the ceiling.

Overall, besides my bad encore experience, I had a fun time. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2014, 11:07:03 AM »
 :lol  I forgot about what JLB said.  His opening dialogue was actually pretty hilarious and down to earth.  I can't remember when exactly he said that about the cannibis, but someone close by us (we were in the 36d row in front of JP) was smokin some wicked skunk buds. :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2014, 11:53:44 AM »
:lol  I forgot about what JLB said.  His opening dialogue was actually pretty hilarious and down to earth.  I can't remember when exactly he said that about the cannibis, but someone close by us (we were in the 36d row in front of JP) was smokin some wicked skunk buds. :biggrin:

lol, it was in the second set, after Lie and before Lifting Shadows which is actually a really nice song to be stoned and listening to.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2014, 01:07:42 PM »
Ok so I wound up going.... An amazing birthday surprise... Meet N Greet and tickets!

Best DT show ever. Was it me or was Jordan having issues with  the Zen Riffer? Or was it his whole rig? Couldn't tell... Couldn't see Jordan from our seats (The damn hanging speaker on the left side blocked his entire set up... minus his feet Lol.)

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2014, 01:30:34 PM »
Also gotta love James's "Labriebreated" comment. xD
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2014, 01:32:51 PM »
Lol Canadians
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Shawn

« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2014, 05:42:25 PM »
What a great show! I've seen Dream Theater at every visit to So. Cal. since I & W. I even saw them once at a very small place, way before that. I had a friend that worked for a recording studio. His name was Mark Windling, I lost track of him, I wish I could find him again. Anyway, his job was to go to venues and watch start up bands and report back to his boss. I didn't know who they were, but I remember that I liked them. I can't remember where we saw them, it was a long time ago. Then a couple years later I heard Pull Me Under on the radio. It got a lot of radio play back then. I was forever hooked on DT. Iv'e seen them so many times, that I can't even count them all. I have to say, I think last night was the best performance that I have ever seen from them or anybody!! They seem to be happy and at peace with MP gone.

The L.A. Brewing Company, not so great. After asking four people and waiting 30 minutes to pay my bill, and not wanting to miss the DT opening, I had enough. But, they had my card. So, I called my credit card company and told them the situation. She told me, "we'll just call it a stolen card and they won't be able to charge anything to it, just leave". So, dinner, three beers and a female UFC fight were on the LABC, and I won't be going back. I just had enough time to take a leak and get to my seat.

When planning this concert, I read some reviews on The Orpheum Theater. I read a few reviews about people who were hassled by this black chic for taking video. Well, sure enough, she shined her flashlight on me and I just shrugged my shoulders, like WTF. A few minutes later, she comes in and yanks me out for taking video. I told her that I wasn't taking video. I even showed her the pictures to prove that was taking pictures. Her supervisor came and I showed him the pictures that I had taken and I showed him that there were no vids. I told him, "this is complete BS that I'm getting hassled by her and now missing the concert, when everyone around me has their phones and their cameras up taking pictures and/or vids. I told him that I have read on the reviews that this chick or another black chick has been hassling people. He seemed surprised by that. He said, "no, it's her and we get a lot of complaints about her, it's going to be her last night here, I'm not putting up with any more complaints".

So, in the end, it was an eventful night in the big city, where I don't feel that comfortable. But, I'd do it again and again for DT! And now I have a couple thousand pictures to go through and remind me of the evening. I even got one of the black chic all pissed off. Oh, and I recorded the whole thing! Sshh, don't tell anyone.

Offline Shawn

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2014, 10:42:40 PM »
A few sample pictures:

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2014, 03:25:08 AM »
Thoughts on Los Angeles show 4/19/14:

•   My 39th DT show. Orchestra Row A, Center, Right.

•   Highlight:  Crowd humming opening notes to Enigma Machine.  This surprised the band.

•   Lip synching:  From my front row seat, four feet from JP, I can resolutely confirm that JP lip syncs in just a couple of places (The Mirror, and parts of OTBOA), while in most other songs he sings live (Enemy Within, Trial of Tears, Along for the Ride).  I could hear the acoustic of his actual singing voice when he used it.

•   We met some really nice newlyweds who created their own “DT – Just married” style shirts, and reportedly Jordan even took a picture of them.

•   Zen Riffer malfunction during Trial of Tears.  JP and MM extended the section a few moments for Jordon to toy with it, then when it didn’t respond, he just played the solo on his regular keyboard.   

•   FYI, Jordan’s keyboard tech takes over playing the last note of IL so that Jordan can don the Zen Riffer for the big finale.  Did anyone else notice that Jordan and the tech do a swap of holding the key down, then the tech stays on stage?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2014, 07:12:00 AM »

•   FYI, Jordan’s keyboard tech takes over playing the last note of IL so that Jordan can don the Zen Riffer for the big finale.  Did anyone else notice that Jordan and the tech do a swap of holding the key down, then the tech stays on stage?

No Idea.

Didn't even know Jordan existed until he tried to come out of hiding during ToT

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Resonate

« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2014, 08:32:22 AM »
Had not been in this venue since I was a child.  Which was a
loooong time ago.  My late Dad took me here all the time to see movies.  Was not aware that this place still operated and held shows as I don't come Downtown that much.  Perfect venue though for a cinematic, operatic and overall super amazing concert experience.  Wish Dad could have seen it, I think he would have loved it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2014, 09:59:46 AM »

No Idea.

Yes I noticed this.  I may have missed it or it didnt happen the previous two shows, but I distinctly noticed it this time and thought it was odd that another dude was on stage playing the keyboard with DT even if he was just holding a note.