Author Topic: So...what's up with Disney princesses?  (Read 7322 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: So...what's up with Disney princesses?
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 02:10:53 PM »
:heybaby:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 02:22:40 PM »
shit, I can't unread that

:P

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 02:24:55 PM »
Yeah, that's a visual I didn't need.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
Holy crap! The likeness is stunning!
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2013, 05:02:18 PM »
I am trying to find a Mulan doll for my daughter. 
Uh-huh, sure.

You can't pull the wool over our eyes that easily, bosky.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
I still find it weird how Alice in Wonderland is sometimes rolled into the Disney Princess range. It's quite rare, but some of the official artworks have her bundled in with the actual princesses.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2013, 06:23:20 PM »
Disney is kind of notorious for this with their products.  For years my wife collected the little porcelain Disney figurines.  She had them all.  Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Dumbo, Mickey, Minnie, Donald Duck, et al.  She made it all the way up to The Little Mermaid (I think  :\ ) and then all of a sudden there were NO figurines at ANY of the brick and mortar Disney Stores.   :facepalm:   Of course, this happened the year I was going to get her a new one, and I didn't have a backup plan.  I'm such a loser.   :loser:   F'n Walt Disney...

If they are the official one that's big money.  My friend had 4 cabinets worth of a tone of different movies and I can't believe the price of one.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2013, 08:37:04 PM »
I still find it weird how Alice in Wonderland is sometimes rolled into the Disney Princess range. It's quite rare, but some of the official artworks have her bundled in with the actual princesses.

She might not be a princess now, but when she gets to the 8th Square she'll be a Queen.   ;)

Oh, and need I remind everyone that since Disney bought out Lucasfilm,  LEIA is now technically a Disney Princess too?   ;D
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2013, 08:40:20 PM »

Liar

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2013, 05:45:43 PM »

She might not be a princess now, but when she gets to the 8th Square she'll be a Queen.   ;)
Oh hush :P If she doesn't become a Princess in her film, then she shouldn't be classed as a Princess in the franchise!
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2013, 07:27:32 PM »
I hope I would have had the presence of mind to hold the dress up against myself, wiggle my hips, and wink at her, or something like that.

I know what I'm fapping to tonight!

Correction.  NOW, I know what I'm fapping to tonight.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2013, 07:29:39 PM »
Alice is beyond princess status.  She's in her own league. If any of the so - called princesses fell down a hole they'd be whining like school girls with a skinned knee. "Oh I can't handle the pressure.  I just broke a nail and there are scratches on my crown.  And for what is this creepy cat smiling at me.  I want to go home. "

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2013, 07:09:55 AM »
Most of them might.  But both Mulan and Merida are pretty hardcore.  I think either of them would quickly find a weapon of choice and take it to anyone who even implied a beheading.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2013, 08:15:27 AM »
Most of them might.  But both Mulan and Merida are pretty hardcore.  I think either of them would quickly find a weapon of choice and take it to anyone who even implied a beheading.

I've never seen either of those so you could be right.  Personally, I am not the biggest Disney fan so I've only seen the older movies like Snow White, Fantasia, etc.  Mickey Mouse gets on my fuckin nerves.  He is all that is wrong with this world.   Even my daughter is a Donald fan.   :lol

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2013, 08:34:20 AM »

Correction.  NOW, I know what I'm fapping to tonight.
Damn, I was scrolling up when reading this so wasn't sure who posted it. Would have been epic if it had been lonestar.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2013, 08:44:10 AM »
Alice is beyond princess status.  She's in her own league. If any of the so - called princesses fell down a hole they'd be whining like school girls with a skinned knee. "Oh I can't handle the pressure.  I just broke a nail and there are scratches on my crown.  And for what is this creepy cat smiling at me.  I want to go home. "

I think Belle would do pretty well if she was thrown into Wonderland, the poor lass never gets enough credit.

Offline davidolson22

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2013, 08:46:36 AM »

I think Belle would do pretty well if she was thrown into Wonderland, the poor lass never gets enough credit.

Really any of the more recent princesses. It's only the old time ones that seem very passive and in need of rescue.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2013, 08:57:43 AM »

It's too much for her. She's more likely to read a book than bother with any adventure. Maybe if her beast came along with her, she'd do alright. 

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »

It's too much for her. She's more likely to read a book than bother with any adventure. Maybe if her beast came along with her, she'd do alright.

Or stick her Dad at the other end of Wonderland.

Or have Gaston slobbering after her. That would get her going.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2013, 01:07:43 PM »

Or stick her Dad at the other end of Wonderland.

Or have Gaston slobbering after her. That would get her going.

I think the Red Queen would make her cry.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2013, 07:37:29 PM »
That Brave chic is my favorite....she'd probably just shoot the Cheshire Cat on site.   :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2013, 06:02:06 AM »
That Brave chic is my favorite....she'd probably just shoot the Cheshire Cat on site.   :rollin

I'm not too familiar with her.  Is she like a female Legolas or something?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2013, 06:34:04 AM »

That is Merida who bosk1 was mentioning earlier in reference to the dress I was looking at for my granddaughter.   ::)  Rookies
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2013, 06:58:34 AM »

That is Merida who bosk1 was mentioning earlier in reference to the dress I was looking at for my granddaughter.   ::)  Rookies

:lol   Like I said, I'm not the biggest Disney fan. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2013, 08:02:52 AM »

She is...uh...not to be trifled with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZDRjbIUHJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOxEUulsmBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA9nZrhFo4U

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2013, 08:33:17 AM »

She is...uh...not to be trifled with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZDRjbIUHJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOxEUulsmBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA9nZrhFo4U

:o

Redhead with the ability to wield a bow and arrow....  I think it moved.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2013, 10:56:13 AM »

Completely agreed. After all, we're talking about the lady who tried to take on a pack of wolves on her own with just a wooden stick and
sassed out an incredibly pissed off chimera in her film. Not to mention the fact that Belle chose to put herself in the situation that she was in, in order to save her father's life. Belle was a helluva lot more courageous and strong-willed than the vast majority of Disney Princesses.

As a kid growing up in the 90's, I had far more respect for Belle than I did most of the other Disney Princesses. Mulan might have been the one with a sword, but Belle definitely had the spirit.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:02:07 AM by Mister Gold »
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2013, 10:07:51 PM »
Alice is my absolute favorite character, literary, Disney or otherwise, but to be fair, she DID cry herself a river after falling down the rabbit hole.  But all in all she handled her shit pretty well considering she was 7 in the first story. 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2013, 06:08:20 AM »

If she gets to 8th Avenue, she'll certainly be mistaken for a queen.

Oh, and need I remind everyone that since Disney bought out Lucasfilm,  LEIA is now technically a Disney Princess too?   ;D
Oh wow
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2013, 06:37:28 AM »

If she gets to 8th Avenue, she'll certainly be mistaken for a queen.

Oh wow

Yup...my mind was blown when I realized that about Leia too.  And Alice on 8th Ave LMAO
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2013, 08:28:38 AM »
This thread has lead me to learn something: there's lots of crap and weird pages on Wikipedia. Start here and randomly click, wow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Princess
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2013, 09:02:42 AM »
This thread has lead me to learn something: there's lots of crap and weird pages on Wikipedia. Start here and randomly click, wow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Princess

Anna and Elsa better get Disney Princess status
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cable

« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2013, 09:34:46 AM »
RE: the OP, yeah Bosk, Disney only seems to carry lots of stuff that sells well. While it is a mixed bag sometimes, with surprises here and there of what's available (at parks), generally the same franchises are overpopulated. Case in point, my favorite movie ever, WallE, has jack for anything really substantial, and basically has been that way since it came out.

The unfortunate thing is Cinderella, Snow White, Cars, Sleeping Beauty, Toy Story and so on dominate their merchandise, licensed and official.
---

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2016, 05:33:27 PM »
Wow, this thread is a lot older than I remembered.  :lol  Anyhow, not princess-related, strictly speaking, but pretty darned close, so I figured I would post it here.  Pretty interesting interview with one of the original Disney "mermaids" from 1959:  https://www.mouseplanet.com/9939/The_Disneyland_1959_Mermaid_Tale_of_Susan

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2016, 10:21:10 PM »
But you didn't know you wanted.
Listen! Do you smell something?