Poll

Should DT throw MP's name into the "thank you's" if they win the Grammy?

Yes
22 (16.3%)
No
46 (34.1%)
It would be cool of them, but ultimately unecessary
61 (45.2%)
6 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Voting closed: December 18, 2013, 04:03:23 PM

Author Topic: If DT wins, should they give a shout out to MP?  (Read 5243 times)

Offline WildeSilas

If DT wins, should they give a shout out to MP?
« on: December 16, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »
So I was thinking about this and the obvious answer is "no." They surely wouldn't mention KM or DS, so why MP? But then I considered the fact that at this point in their career, these Grammy nominations aren't coming so much because DT is making better albums than they were ten or twenty years ago. Much like Jethro Tull years ago with the Metallica fiasco, the nominations are a nod to DT's longevity and arguably their entire body of work.

That said, I think it's absolutely unnecessary to thank MP in an acceptance speech because the guys are always moving and looking forward not back. MP had no association with either of the last two albums, so why mention him at all? At the same time, it might be classy on their part to throw his name into the "thank you's" to acknowledge his considerable contribution to their career up to this point. Plus, it kind of sucks for MP that they started getting these nominations right after he quits. Tbh, I've been a little uncomfortable with how quick some of the other band members are to point out that the writing team has always been JR and JP, when MP was obviously a big part of it as well. You can't re-write that history and I think it would be a cool move on their part to tip their hat to him in that scenario.

Thoughts?
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline Dave_Manchester

Re: If DT wins, should they give a shout out to MP?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 04:06:50 PM »
Yes they should, in the same way that they'll thank their families, even though they had no hand in writing the actual song they're nominated for. Without Portnoy's work, Dream Theater would not be where they are, they would have nowhere near the fame and respect they now have, so he deserves a nod in my opinion, out of respect for his 25 years.   

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 04:45:45 PM »
Perhaps MP was not involved in writing the last two albums, but the band has definitely come a long way musically, and a lot of the influence and the sound that now is part of the essence of the band have come from elements brought in by MP in the time he was present. On the other hand, I'm not quite sure if all the members of the band would be quite comfortable with doing it, and it wouldn't be appropriate to do something when not everyone agrees since it can lead to further issues.

I guess one also has to consider that MP's departure was rather voluntary and it could've brought much more trouble than it did (as far as we know), and he could have been a member of the band and get nominated (most likely, considering I'm with those who believe the nominations are partly a nod at the endurance and relevance the band has gained) if it had been his decision.

I don't really know if he would be mentioned if it was up to me. It would be a nice thing to do and I think MP would appreciate it a lot, but what is going on at the moment is the most important thing and if everyone isn't up to it (or if anyone actually feels like throwing in the idea of giving a shout out to MP) they shouldn't really do it.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 05:53:28 PM »
No.

Next?
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline 425

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 06:11:13 PM »
I think if the mic ends up closest to JP, JR or perhaps even MM, it'll happen and if it ends up closest to JLB it won't. And if it ends up closest to JMX the world will explode.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 06:19:34 PM »
"We would like to thank Mike Portnoy for quitting the band. If he was still in the band, we probably wouldn't have written this song, and wouldn't have been nominated for a Grammy."
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 06:21:09 PM »
"We would like to thank Mike Portnoy for quitting the band. If he was still in the band, we probably wouldn't have written this song, and wouldn't have been nominated for a Grammy."

:omg:  Yeah, that.    :tup  That's a bit dark,  but yeah, they are not going to say that.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 06:22:47 PM »
They're not going to win, so it probably doesn't matter.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 06:33:13 PM »
Yeah, definitely.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 07:56:11 PM »
They're not going to win, so it probably doesn't matter.

That, but if they do, I think they should. They wouldn't be where they are without MP's contribution (or any of the other current members for that matter), and I see the nomination as more about the band rather than the song, so MP is still a big part of that.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 07:57:19 PM »
If they thank MP, they have to thank Chris Collins too.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 07:59:11 PM »
 :lol

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 08:02:17 PM »

I know you're kidding, but actually, that's a good point. As much as MP did for them, I think it'd be better if they kind of generalized it and said something like, "Thanks to everyone who's ever been a part of the DT family. You helped mold this band into what it is today."

I do think it would be kind of weird to just thank MP of all people, unless they list him among various names of crew, management, family and friends, etc.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 08:12:35 PM »
Ehhh. MP certainly deserves credit for DT place in progressive Rock history....25 years of influence and making music with them and all. But, the Grammy nominations came AFTER he left.....they may created great songs with him that could have been Grammy nomination worthy.....but never got the nod. He always insisted that's not why they made music....maybe they never submitted ballots when he was in the band? Who knows. Point is...they never were nominated with him in the band.

I don't think just because he was in a band for 25 years and then after he left them high and dry for the reason(s) he did that if, they had won before or if they win now....he deserves in any way to be thanked for winning them. He had no creative input on the songs that they've written without him...of which two were nominated for Grammys.

With that being said, knowing the class that JP has and how genuinely nice JR and MM are....they would probably somehow mention MP and thank him......just because they are that nice and genuine. They certainly don't Owe it to him for any reason IMO

To me....if any thanks are given to him it should be for giving them the inspiration, the drive and fuel to go out and write some incredible music and have the chance to bring a drummer in who's constantly trying to improve and do what it takes to be a member of the team.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 09:14:31 PM »

I know you're kidding, but actually, that's a good point. As much as MP did for them, I think it'd be better if they kind of generalized it and said something like, "Thanks to everyone who's ever been a part of the DT family. You helped mold this band into what it is today."

This.

Maybe not for Chris Collins but definitely Dominici, Moore and Sherinian, since they all had input original DT CD's.

As for the matter, I think they don't have to but they should.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 09:34:03 PM »
You left out some choices...

What are Dream Theater going to do with Mike Portnoy? 

Should they let him be thanked at the awards ceremony?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 10:44:23 PM »
Without Portnoy's work, Dream Theater would not be where they are, they would have nowhere near the fame and respect they now have, so he deserves a nod in my opinion

The same could be said for Kevin Moore, since his writing was crucial on I&W, which they wouldn't be nearly as popular without, not to mention him writing the lyrics for the song that gave them their big break, Pull Me Under.  Should they thank him, too? ;)

As much as MP did for them, I think it'd be better if they kind of generalized it and said something like, "Thanks to everyone who's ever been a part of the DT family. You helped mold this band into what it is today."

I like this answer. :tup :tup

Offline Mladen

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 10:49:58 PM »

I do think it would be kind of weird to just thank MP of all people, unless they list him among various names of crew, management, family and friends, etc.
Good points all around.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 11:47:37 PM »
If they were nominated for a lifetime achievement award and won, sure. But now they are nominated for a song that MP had no part of. So no.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 11:48:38 PM »
If they were nominated for a lifetime achievement award and won, sure. But now they are nominated for a song that MP had no part of. So no.

:tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 02:12:04 AM »
This. And if they thanked MP, they should also say thanks to everyone who has been part of the band at some point.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 02:59:34 AM »
Option 3.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 05:30:02 AM »
Not if James gets hold of the mic.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MonagFam

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 05:50:42 AM »

This is how I feel as well.  I also thought (previously posted by another user above) about the thanking everyone more-or-less indirectly for where they are today. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 05:55:04 AM »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 09:47:07 AM »
It's been 3 years now since MP left. Given that I don't remember any mention of past members in previous award shout-outs, I don't see the necessity to give a shout-out to MP. And yeah, this would be for a specific song that MP had absolutely nothing to do with.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 09:57:19 AM »

Totally agree with this.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 10:03:14 AM »
I think they should give a shout out to the DTF. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 11:09:32 AM »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 11:10:51 AM »
 :rollin
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 01:52:53 PM »
"Thanks to DTF for the facts CSI filter and MIDI!"

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 01:59:03 PM »

:biggrin:

It's for this particular song, which MP had no part of writing (and from his comments he doesn't like the direction the band have gone in since he left). If it was a lifetime achievement award, fair enough.

Offline Pinga

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 02:54:54 PM »
Not at all. ADToE and s/t had their first Grammy nominations because they're way better then the heavility MP-influenced Systematic chaos and b&sl. So really, they owe both nods to MP not being in the band.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 03:54:34 PM »
They are probably going to have about 15 seconds for thank yous so I doubt they are going to have time to thank Chris Collins and Steve Stone...or John Myung. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 04:22:36 AM »
It's not a lifetime achievement award.  So no, not in any way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.