Poll

Should DT throw MP's name into the "thank you's" if they win the Grammy?

Yes
22 (16.3%)
No
46 (34.1%)
It would be cool of them, but ultimately unecessary
61 (45.2%)
6 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Voting closed: December 18, 2013, 04:03:23 PM

Author Topic: If DT wins, should they give a shout out to MP?  (Read 5249 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: If DT wins, should they give a shout out to MP?
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2013, 06:39:44 AM »
Not at all, this is a song written without MP in the band.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2013, 06:57:16 AM »
If they win, they better do a shout-out to the Mob, for no particular reason.

After listening to "The Dearly Departed", I'd be scared to have any connections to those guys and not give them their due.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 06:59:01 AM »
I voted no. Totally respect MP and the years he put in, but if they win an award for a song and he wasn't a part of the song, they shouldn't give him a shout out.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 07:19:15 AM »
A less facetious answer. This is the subtext of what thanking MP for a song he didn't play on or write is.

"We'd also like to thank the guy who threatened to hold our careers hostage for an extended period of time, who then, when told that was unacceptable, left the band, and spent several months creating passive aggressive drama on various social media outlets. We'd also like to diminish the value of the performances of the drummer who replaced him in the band and actually performed on our two Grammy nominated songs."

The Grammy nod is for The Enemy Inside, not the entire career of Dream Theater.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 07:22:09 AM »
A less facetious answer. This is the subtext of what thanking MP for a song he didn't play on or write is.

"We'd also like to thank the guy who threatened to hold our careers hostage for an extended period of time, who then, when told that was unacceptable, left the band, and spent several months creating passive aggressive drama on various social media outlets. We'd also like to diminish the value of the performances of the drummer who replaced him in the band and actually performed on our two Grammy nominated songs."

Or it could denote nothing more than thanking a founding member of 25 years for contributing to getting them to where they are today. Wtf.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2013, 07:25:04 AM »
Yup.

"Oh, and we'd like to thank Mike and everyone else who helped us endure so much sucess over our careers to get to this point."

Some of you guys are really overthinking it.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2013, 07:57:52 AM »
Yup.

"Oh, and we'd like to thank Mike and everyone else who helped us endure so much sucess over our careers to get to this point."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2013, 09:39:03 AM »
Yup.

It seems to me like the proponents of thanking MP are the ones overthinking it.  They were nominated for a song which he had nothing to do with.  No reason to thank him specifically.  Seems pretty simple to me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2013, 12:16:43 PM »
Yup.

Of course, then it would be debated on whether they mean Mike Portnoy or Mike Mangini. Even if he is right there.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2013, 02:45:55 AM »
I'm actually hoping MP pulls a Kanye West.

"I'm gonna let you finish, but I have to say without me you would be nothing! NOTHING!!!"
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:54:32 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2013, 03:18:56 AM »
If they thank MP, they have to thank Chris Collins too.

I know you're kidding, but actually, that's a good point. As much as MP did for them, I think it'd be better if they kind of generalized it and said something like, "Thanks to everyone who's ever been a part of the DT family. You helped mold this band into what it is today."

I do think it would be kind of weird to just thank MP of all people, unless they list him among various names of crew, management, family and friends, etc.

agreed.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2013, 06:11:19 AM »
Yup.

It seems to me like the proponents of thanking MP are the ones overthinking it.  They were nominated for a song which he had nothing to do with.  No reason to thank him specifically.  Seems pretty simple to me.

Well, I don't think it's as simple as a band gets nominated on the basis of one good song. I know that's what the award is for, but you simply have to take the other factors into account. I'm sure the people handing these things out aren't "underthinking" it, so why should we?

Offline jmasterx

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2013, 07:12:44 AM »

"I'm gonna let you finish, but I have to say without me you would be nothing! NOTHING!!!"

More like:

"Hey yo JLB, JLB, Ima let you finish but, The Winery Dogs had one of the best songs of all time."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2013, 07:43:11 AM »
 :lol..........:umno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2013, 08:40:53 AM »

More like:

"Hey yo JLB, JLB, Ima let you finish but, The Winery Dogs had one of the best songs of all time."

OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2013, 09:59:50 AM »
Yup.

Well, I don't think it's as simple as a band gets nominated on the basis of one good song. I know that's what the award is for, but you simply have to take the other factors into account. I'm sure the people handing these things out aren't "underthinking" it, so why should we?
You're talking about a "token nomination" out of respect for a shunned career?  It can happen, but no reason to think that's the case this year.

Maybe the last one, which was, you know, their first ever nomination.  That one, I could see more.  But this is not that one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2013, 10:12:37 AM »
Yup.

You're talking about a "token nomination" out of respect for a shunned career?  It can happen, but no reason to think that's the case this year.

Maybe the last one, which was, you know, their first ever nomination.  That one, I could see more.  But this is not that one.

Not a token nomination. I'm just making the assumption a little bit of thought goes into the background, history and past successes of prospective nominees when making the decisions. I don't think it can be just on the merit of the song alone - otherwise, it would be two weird a coincidence that DT's lead single got the nomination on two consecutive albums.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2013, 06:38:09 PM »
I picked the last option, meaning they kick JP out of the band with the message "So long and thanks for all the salmonfish."
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
I wish Winery Dogs got nominated for something. The tension of having DT and MP in the same building would of been interesting. Camera shots of MP when DT is accepting the award would be great tv. Or the fairy tale situation when DT calls MP to the stage to accept the Grammy with them. Big group hug and all lol!

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2013, 07:28:28 AM »
My first reaction was they don't NEED to, since he wasn't really a part of the making of DT12. But after some thought, he's helped DT get where they are for DT12. Without him, DT12 might've not sounded the same. I hope that made any sense whatsoever. :P

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2013, 09:36:03 AM »
Well, they won't be doing an acceptance speech at the Grammys even if they win, as they will be across the ocean playing a concert while the Grammys are going on.

However, they usually don't announce that category live anyways (it just scrolls by on the bottom like a news ticker), so even if they put out a "Thank you" video after the fact, I still don't think they should necessarily thank MP.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2013, 10:10:52 AM »
Well, they won't be doing an acceptance speech at the Grammys even if they win, as they will be across the ocean playing a concert while the Grammys are going on.

However, they usually don't announce that category live anyways (it just scrolls by on the bottom like a news ticker), so even if they put out a "Thank you" video after the fact, I still don't think they should necessarily thank MP.

If that's the case, the sweet twist would be for MP to accept the award on their behalf and make some sort of interesting speech regarding it.